Gas prices jump, drivers grump

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

The Energy Department says the average price for a gallon of regular gasoline will be $3.365 this summer.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 55 of55
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“At least I'm housebroken.”

Since: Jun 07

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

GASFROMMYASSISFREE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dumb ass, Republicans give tax breaks to the rich . Democrats give tax breaks to the middle class . You are obviously to stupid to vote so stay home.
Someone posted this in another thread, but it is worth repeating again.

EXPLAINING OUR UNITED STATES TAXING SYSTEM WITH BEER

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7.
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve.'Since you are all
such good customers,' he said,'I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beers by $20. Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.'

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before and the first four continued to drink for free, but once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "but he got $10!" "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got TEN times more than I!"

"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!" "Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something very important... they didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
LilOne

Hyattsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

JEM wrote:
Oil companies are making record profits and gas prices have soared - what is wrong with this picture??-
Nothing. It's the basic law of supply and demand.

As long as we continue to buy, the price will go up. Ultimately, the price will hit a level where people will stop buying (i.e. Demand will go down), and then the price will too.

The problem is this: Americans depend on gas too much to ever see demand reduced enough to lower prices. We choose to drive large vehicles and pay for gas while either sacrificing other things or going into debt.

Until prices get to be so astronomically high that the majority of Americans start actively conserving....they'll continue to go up little by little.
Use Common Sense

Kent, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

Chaos...
"As long as people continue to run around, go on vacations,go the the malls,walmart,target go out to eat, etc and never cut back on their gas usage the oil companies will just keep jacking up the price."

I don't think people living their lives is the problem here, I think it has something to do with us being gouged by the greedy, that goes for station owners all the way up. If you think sitting on your couch stairing at the walls is going to affect the price of gas you're very much mistaken.
Hmmmmm

Tallmadge, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

Greed Is Killing America wrote:
Why do they charge us so much for gas ? Because they can. Simple as that. Greedy Bastards !
All the while, they are making record profits in the Mega-Billions of dollars, while also getting huge tax breaks from the government, also at our collective expense.
How is this blatant raping and gouging of the general public being allowed to legally take place ? Conveniently, we have a Texas Oil Man in the White House, that wouldn't have it any other way.
The time is growing near, when we will have no choice but to take America back from the corporate pirates who are really in control, and restore the power back to the people, where it rightfully belongs according to our Constitution. Corporate greed is slowly killing the goose that lays golden eggs - The American blue collared Taxpayer. Sign me up for the revolution !
I agree!!!! How can the gas at the station in the afternoon be worth more than it was this morning??? It's like going to the grocery to get a can of beans for $1.00 and by the time you get to the check out-it's a $1.50---and they tell you,'well, gas went up, so it costs more to have it delivered......' Hey government!!!!!!!! You regulate every other thing-lend a hand here! Although, since the folks in Congress, Senate etc. don't have to pay for their gas--WE DO -- it doesn't affect them!! Gee--looks like the $600.00 "gift" King Bush is granting us will be going back into his pocket---his and his oil man buddies.....

“"It is what it is..."”

Since: Dec 07

Akron, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

whatev wrote:
All I know is that as soon as this f*****g snow melts I'm getting my Vespa out of storage and it's gonna be scooter riding until October for me. I can barely afford to go to work and school at 2.89 let alone this bs!
Do you like your vespa? I was thinking about getting one.
LilOne

Hyattsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

Use Common Sense wrote:
Chaos...
"As long as people continue to run around, go on vacations,go the the malls,walmart,target go out to eat, etc and never cut back on their gas usage the oil companies will just keep jacking up the price."
I don't think people living their lives is the problem here, I think it has something to do with us being gouged by the greedy, that goes for station owners all the way up. If you think sitting on your couch stairing at the walls is going to affect the price of gas you're very much mistaken.
If ALL people did nothing but sit on the couch and stare at the walls, prices certainly would drop. When a revenue stream dries up, companies drop prices to encourage purchases.

Unfortunately, because people drive to and from work and to run errands...as well as for recreation...gas purchases wouldn't drop dramatically enough to impact prices even if all leisure travel stopped.
Commuter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

'EXPLAINING OUR UNITED STATES TAXING SYSTEM WITH BEER'
Excellent post there Big L...thanks for passing it along.
Dunno

Kilmarnock, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

ramon wrote:
<quoted text>
You only saw windfall profits tax but ignored I also mentioned incentives. Typical.
The $40 Billion is the incentive, or had you forgotten that I explained this in my first post?
Righty Whiteman

Avon Lake, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

ONE WORD.............ANWAR.
Righty Whiteman

Avon Lake, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

DID SOMEONE SAY.........ANWAR?
Righty Whiteman

Avon Lake, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

ANWAR.
Dunno

Waynesburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

ANWAR is a good short term solution.

This area can go several years between caribou sightings, but the environmentalists would never let that be reported.
Grumpy

Ashtabula, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

No more wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, when a democrat gets in office we will be paying $3.50 a gallon for gas and 60% of our income to taxes for more B.S. government programs.
Gas was $1.45 when Bush took office. I paid $3.459 for gas three days ago. Before Bush leaves office we will be paying over $4.00 a gallon. Do you actually read the articles or do you just post stupid comments.
Use Common Sense

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2008

People don't understand that purchasing gas and b1tching about it does nothing to help the situation of being gouged out the pump. Forget about China or Venezuela and forget about sticking it to the CEO's and their record breaking profits, you can't affect them in anyway and they wouldn't get a d#mn what you had to say anyway. Focus on the only people that you can put pressure on and that's the station owners. Only purchase gas from these stations don't purchase any other items in their stores. At first it'll be inconvenient but in the long run they'll start feeling the pinch and "they" can start complaining to those that deliver their fuel; they have a loader voice. The station owners are part of the chain of folks who are gouging us and they need to be sent a message. Remember that some Acme and Giant Eagle store have pumps also so avoid those stores if possible. Only expend your energy trying to affect change where you can, the station owner is a good start.
patrick7

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2008

oil was $25 per barrel 6 years ago - now it approaches $100. The US oil companies control/own very little of the oil we consume. they buy oil (they also make lots of money administering the wells for countries like Saudia arabia)so you cannot blame the bulk of the price increase on the US oil companies

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 55 of55
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Uniontown Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Uniontown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance