Gas prices jump, drivers grump

Gas prices jump, drivers grump

There are 55 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Mar 11, 2008, titled Gas prices jump, drivers grump. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The Energy Department says the average price for a gallon of regular gasoline will be $3.365 this summer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

westside johnny

Ravenna, OH

#26 Mar 11, 2008
Jay wrote:
Let me guess...there are those that think the democrats will lower the gas prices? Wow...that's educated. I mean typically the president picks up the phone calls the big oil companies and says he guys, prices are getting a little steep, you need to drop them. Yeah...that happens. I love it when I hear local blue collar workers saying that they are voting for Hillary because she promises to bring jobs back to Akron. Newsflash...it was her husband and her that sent the jobs away with NAFTA in the first place. But, only tied for first place with the labor unions that constantly told shift workers that they were worth more than they really were. And as a result, they companies like Goodyear, Firestone, GM, etc. said enough, we are moving overseas. There are those of you who would vote for a guy by the name of Barack Hussein Obama. As if it isn't enough that he has very little experience, he just doesn't represent America. Now...that I've aired that. Let me say this. I moved back to the Akron area 7 months ago from a very nice, employable part of America. I am truly saddened to see where we have come as an area. I see the desperation in folks eyes around here. They are people looking for answers. Unfortunately, it easier to blame Bush than it is to get a job, or two jobs. Many times in my life I worked two or three jobs to pay bills. It isn't glamorous, fun, etc.-just necessary. As a republican, I will tell you that I am disappointed with the Bush administration. However, he is still our president and should be respected. I guess the real question is when did we as Americans get lost in life. While Bush can certainly be blamed for things, he can't be blamed for everything. To continuosly blame an elected leader everytime something goes wrong is simply foolish. We have to take responsibility for our own actions. "Change We Can Believ In" starts with us changing and re-evaluating our own lives and situations. Akron is still a great place to live!
thanks for straightening us out. he would have nothing to do with anything that is wrong now. we were so wrong and your argument is so convincing. oh that last hit of crack is drifting off and i'm coming to my senses.(pause) HE HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH WHAT'S WRONG TODAY YOU TARD. GET YOUR MEDS CHECKED. you really should not drive or operate heavy machinery on that stuff.
wow

Avon Lake, OH

#27 Mar 11, 2008
I almost hope a Democrat gets elected - almost. Then you uneducated people will see that the President doesn't control gasoline prices. It was cheaper under Reagan and Bush 41 than under Carter, but it depends on the price of OIL. Record oil prices from the suppliers lead to record prices at the pump. But the station owners have no business jacking up pump prices instantly. And China and India are starting to consume mass quantities thus increasing global demand as well.
ramon

Canton, OH

#28 Mar 11, 2008
What is their incentive to solve the energy questions when earning $40 billion a year? Hell they have not even upgraded their existing refineries let alone look at alternative sources.

The only way to solve this greed is to tax excessive windfall profits and in turn offer incentives for developing and producing alternative fuels.
MAD AS HELL

Sharon, PA

#29 Mar 11, 2008
Now OPEC wants a share of the record profits. Thats why oil went from 23 dollars a bbl. to 109 dollars a bbl. Way to go people
west side johnny

Ravenna, OH

#31 Mar 11, 2008
wow wrote:
I almost hope a Democrat gets elected - almost. Then you uneducated people will see that the President doesn't control gasoline prices. It was cheaper under Reagan and Bush 41 than under Carter, but it depends on the price of OIL. Record oil prices from the suppliers lead to record prices at the pump. But the station owners have no business jacking up pump prices instantly. And China and India are starting to consume mass quantities thus increasing global demand as well.
OMG HERE WE GO AGAIN. no, numbnuts doesn't control oil prices but the seven years of his presidency has put terrible pressure on every aspect of the price and the economics of the people paying that price.
you are so smart. are you a republican? they are smart! are you going to be rich some day? i bet you will because you are a smart republican. i'm going to start to listen to rush also and when i grow up i'm going to be a rich republican.
Dunno

Williamsburg, VA

#33 Mar 11, 2008
ramon wrote:
What is their incentive to solve the energy questions when earning $40 billion a year? Hell they have not even upgraded their existing refineries let alone look at alternative sources.
The only way to solve this greed is to tax excessive windfall profits and in turn offer incentives for developing and producing alternative fuels.
It won't be them that solves it, it will be someone that wants a piece of the $40 billion. Similar to the cable companies taking land line phone customers.

Any 'windfall profits taxes' will be passed along to the consumer. Do you really think that we are not paying enough already?
Rob

AOL

#34 Mar 11, 2008
Gas at the BP in the Valley $3.45. Gas at Sam's club in the falls $3.00. What is wrong with this picture?
whatev

Canton, OH

#35 Mar 11, 2008
All I know is that as soon as this f*****g snow melts I'm getting my Vespa out of storage and it's gonna be scooter riding until October for me. I can barely afford to go to work and school at 2.89 let alone this bs!
Jumpin4Joy

Cleveland, OH

#36 Mar 11, 2008
Gas prices seem high because your wages suck. Just ask the folks in India.

Keep shopping at your favorite Chinese outlet stores rather than supporting yourselves. Let's shoot for doubling the trade deficit w/China to 2 trillion. Then check out your gas prices :-D
fat cat oil men

White Lake, MI

#38 Mar 11, 2008
The oil companies make record profits month after month...and we are paying it. All of these high prices are simply "because they can"....
joshua wilson

Kent, OH

#39 Mar 11, 2008
i think we need to boycott this crap boycott all over the united states and no one buy the gas let that stuff sit in the tanks at the gas stations and shut this country down stop bushes cash flow to fund his war in iraq and stop lineing his pockets bring this country to its knees and we the people take it back i remember 6 years ago gas was in the 1.50 range its our fault that the prices are so high we dont put our feet down enough and take control of the situation
Robert M Kraus Sr

Akron, OH

#40 Mar 11, 2008
The outlook is grim. I read a half dozen newspapers on the web; the most written about subject in every one of them is the price of gasoline and how it is affecting everyone.

“ Free Your Mind ....”

Since: Oct 07

Avon Lake, OH

#41 Mar 11, 2008
Jay wrote:
Let me guess...there are those that think the democrats will lower the gas prices? Wow...that's educated. I mean typically the president picks up the phone calls the big oil companies and says he guys, prices are getting a little steep, you need to drop them. Yeah...that happens. I love it when I hear local blue collar workers saying that they are voting for Hillary because she promises to bring jobs back to Akron. Newsflash...it was her husband and her that sent the jobs away with NAFTA in the first place. But, only tied for first place with the labor unions that constantly told shift workers that they were worth more than they really were. And as a result, they companies like Goodyear, Firestone, GM, etc. said enough, we are moving overseas. There are those of you who would vote for a guy by the name of Barack Hussein Obama. As if it isn't enough that he has very little experience, he just doesn't represent America. Now...that I've aired that. Let me say this. I moved back to the Akron area 7 months ago from a very nice, employable part of America. I am truly saddened to see where we have come as an area. I see the desperation in folks eyes around here. They are people looking for answers. Unfortunately, it easier to blame Bush than it is to get a job, or two jobs. Many times in my life I worked two or three jobs to pay bills. It isn't glamorous, fun, etc.-just necessary. As a republican, I will tell you that I am disappointed with the Bush administration. However, he is still our president and should be respected. I guess the real question is when did we as Americans get lost in life. While Bush can certainly be blamed for things, he can't be blamed for everything. To continuosly blame an elected leader everytime something goes wrong is simply foolish. We have to take responsibility for our own actions. "Change We Can Believ In" starts with us changing and re-evaluating our own lives and situations. Akron is still a great place to live!
Democrat or Republican party affiliation makes no difference whatsoever. They are all as crooked as the day is long, and don't give a rat's ass about the American populace. Just keep those votes and campaign contributions coming, and they will promise whatever the latest polls suggest we want them to say....

The problem is not so much with our leaders, it's the corporations that own them and sponsor every move they make.

It is time for Americans to stand up and put an end to the practice of allowing corporations to dictate our foriegn and domestic policies. As we are only beginning to see, their bottom line and America's best interests are two very different things. Corporate greed, graft and corruption is literally killing America - the polititians are merely their puppets on a string.
ramon

Canton, OH

#42 Mar 11, 2008
Dunno wrote:
<quoted text>
It won't be them that solves it, it will be someone that wants a piece of the $40 billion. Similar to the cable companies taking land line phone customers.
Any 'windfall profits taxes' will be passed along to the consumer. Do you really think that we are not paying enough already?
You only saw windfall profits tax but ignored I also mentioned incentives. Typical.
The Voice of Reason

Lorain, OH

#43 Mar 11, 2008
fat cat oil men wrote:
The oil companies make record profits month after month...and we are paying it. All of these high prices are simply "because they can"....
I suggest you and all the others castigating the oil companies go find a course in basic economics and take it. It's the law of supply and demand. Tighter supply produces higher prices. Increased supply produces lower prices. In the meantime, read this article, published by MSNBC, one of the real "bastions of truth" (quotes supplied for benefit of the sarcasm-impaired): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6019739/ . Even the liberal side of media is admitting the real reason for inflated oil product prices.
guess who

United States

#44 Mar 11, 2008
I WILL VOTE FOR WHOEVER I WANT TO AND IT WANT BE A REPUBLICAN. IF YOU FEEL THAT WAY ABOUT BUSH THEN YOU ARE GETTING JUST WHAT YOU VOTE FOR. DON'T GO CRYING WHEN YOU AT GOT NOT JOB AND CAN BUY GAS TO PUT IN YOUR CAR. JUST REMEMBER YOU ARE A BUSH FAN AND LIKE IS JUST GREAT.
Voice of Reality

Strongsville, OH

#45 Mar 11, 2008
The Voice of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you and all the others castigating the oil companies go find a course in basic economics and take it. It's the law of supply and demand. Tighter supply produces higher prices. Increased supply produces lower prices. In the meantime, read this article, published by MSNBC, one of the real "bastions of truth" (quotes supplied for benefit of the sarcasm-impaired): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6019739/ . Even the liberal side of media is admitting the real reason for inflated oil product prices.
Wasting your time VOR. Those here that want to misplace the responsibility for high oil pricing will never accept the realities of the situation. They are neither convenient or contribute in any way to the quick fix mindset of most Americans.
GASFROMMYASSISFR EE

Ashtabula, OH

#46 Mar 11, 2008
THIS FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ARTICLE ON THE MAIN PAGE.

"A year ago, rising demand and a string of refinery outages had raised concerns about supplies. Now, the record price of crude oil is the culprit, propelling gas higher although supplies are at 15-year highs."

THEN THIS FROM A BEACON STAFF WRITER

"The Energy Department said because of oil-supply concerns, it's very possible that when the mercury climbs, so will gas prices, topping out at more than $4 a gallon."

COULD SOMEONE GET THE STORY STRAIGHT, IF WERE ALL GONNA TAKE IT IN THE POOPCHUTE, I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHY!
No more

United States

#47 Mar 11, 2008
Nancy wrote:
Hey, Bush That extra $1800.00 your sending
me this summer. I will be paying for gas.
Hope that stimulates your economy!!!!!
Glad I never voted for you either time!!!
People better wise up as long as there is
a republican in office this is the way it
will be. I would vote for Mickey Mouse
before a republican!
Yeah, when a democrat gets in office we will be paying $3.50 a gallon for gas and 60% of our income to taxes for more B.S. government programs.
GASFROMMYASSISFR EE

Ashtabula, OH

#48 Mar 12, 2008
No more wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, when a democrat gets in office we will be paying $3.50 a gallon for gas and 60% of our income to taxes for more B.S. government programs.
Hey Dumb ass, Republicans give tax breaks to the rich . Democrats give tax breaks to the middle class . You are obviously to stupid to vote so stay home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who recalls Todd Hickman (akron) (Sep '11) Jan 17 ELove God Bless you 72
Vacant Fairlawn Mansion Vandalized - Nine Juven... (Jul '16) Jan 15 InquiringMindsWan... 5
News Fight against housing complex continues (Nov '16) Jan 14 BizzyBee 3
dirty ernie ansley....... Jan 14 Eddy 1
News FirstEnergy seeks OK for project (May '08) Jan 5 Homeless Wino Pete 30
News New Akron law tightens panhandling (Jun '08) Jan 5 Homeless Wino Pete 176
News Chevy dealer honored by GM (Apr '08) Jan 3 RonG 21

Uniontown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Uniontown Mortgages