Gas prices jump, drivers grump

The Energy Department says the average price for a gallon of regular gasoline will be $3.365 this summer. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
kathydtietz

Yorba Linda, CA

#1 Mar 11, 2008
This is ridiculous! If I didn't work so far from home, I'd ride my 15 speed bike to work this spring and summer. I heard that fuel efficient cars can be made, but the government won't let auto manufacturers make them. Is that true?
patrick7

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Mar 11, 2008
kathydtietz wrote:
This is ridiculous! If I didn't work so far from home, I'd ride my 15 speed bike to work this spring and summer. I heard that fuel efficient cars can be made, but the government won't let auto manufacturers make them. Is that true?
its not true. what is true is that fuel efficient cars can be made but americans wont buy them
Granny

Millersburg, OH

#4 Mar 11, 2008
I agree that the price of gas if ridiculous ... however, if people would give up their beer and bottled water, they could afford the gas!
D OG

Wadsworth, OH

#5 Mar 11, 2008
kathydtietz wrote:

Why don't auto makers build fuel effiecent cars? Well to begin with because american consumers like big cars that typically are heavier and less aerodynamic. Secondly the govt has been giving them a free pass on fuel economy since "the Decider" took office. More efficient cars are made for use in other countries. Most wouldn't meet safety standards here, but more modest gains could be easily achieved. However, manufactures won't spend the money on this technology unless the govt. mandates higher CAFE numbers. The reason? None of them want to spend the money on design, retooling, etc. with out assurance that they all are having to do the same thing. It's like seat belts , air bags, etc. If it is a requirement they all do it. The price increases would be small if this is a mandated thing, because the cost would be evenly spread among all models. I hope this answered your question. I'm in favor of more efficient cars, but it's unlikely we'll see much change unless manufactures can't sell the less efficient models or the US govt mandates higher efficiency. Lacking a shortage, that is unlikely.
Brent Gumble

Solon, OH

#6 Mar 11, 2008
Yes this will ruin the economy, but as long as Bush an his buddys are making profits he doesnt care
Brent Gumble

Solon, OH

#7 Mar 11, 2008
Granny wrote:
I agree that the price of gas if ridiculous ... however, if people would give up their beer and bottled water, they could afford the gas!
yes and if you give up food and water you wont need a car because you will be dead
JHC

London, OH

#8 Mar 11, 2008
You fools who voted for Bush get what you deserve. The rich take care of themselves while their bought and paid for politicians rob the working man blind. The media and even the churches are just players in this grand game. The joke is on you, the loser stupid enough to believe that either party gives a damn about your life and your future.

“ Free Your Mind ....”

Since: Oct 07

Avon Lake, OH

#9 Mar 11, 2008
Why do they charge us so much for gas ? Because they can. Simple as that. Greedy Bastards !

All the while, they are making record profits in the Mega-Billions of dollars, while also getting huge tax breaks from the government, also at our collective expense.

How is this blatant raping and gouging of the general public being allowed to legally take place ? Conveniently, we have a Texas Oil Man in the White House, that wouldn't have it any other way.

The time is growing near, when we will have no choice but to take America back from the corporate pirates who are really in control, and restore the power back to the people, where it rightfully belongs according to our Constitution. Corporate greed is slowly killing the goose that lays golden eggs - The American blue collared Taxpayer. Sign me up for the revolution !
JEM

Canton, OH

#11 Mar 11, 2008
Oil companies are making record profits and gas prices have soared - what is wrong with this picture??-
Forget GAS

Norwalk, OH

#12 Mar 11, 2008
BIKE IT! WALK IT! Anything but paying $3 for gas; Why did we go over to Iraq? Join www.putthegascompaniesoutofbusiness.com
ramon

Canton, OH

#14 Mar 11, 2008
Greed Is Killing America wrote:
Why do they charge us so much for gas ? Because they can. Simple as that. Greedy Bastards !
All the while, they are making record profits in the Mega-Billions of dollars, while also getting huge tax breaks from the government, also at our collective expense.
How is this blatant raping and gouging of the general public being allowed to legally take place ? Conveniently, we have a Texas Oil Man in the White House, that wouldn't have it any other way.
The time is growing near, when we will have no choice but to take America back from the corporate pirates who are really in control, and restore the power back to the people, where it rightfully belongs according to our Constitution. Corporate greed is slowly killing the goose that lays golden eggs - The American blue collared Taxpayer. Sign me up for the revolution !
In March of 2000 the average price for a gallon of gas was $1.42. It is now at $3.42. Mission Accomplished!! Sign me up too!
Nancy

United States

#16 Mar 11, 2008
Hey, Bush That extra $1800.00 your sending
me this summer. I will be paying for gas.
Hope that stimulates your economy!!!!!
Glad I never voted for you either time!!!
People better wise up as long as there is
a republican in office this is the way it
will be. I would vote for Mickey Mouse
before a republican!
foster home

AOL

#17 Mar 11, 2008
Diesel fuel is $4.12 a gallon today(road fuel-off road is about $0.20 cheaper). YES to all you who glare at me in my big dually, I need my big truck for work.
As a farmer these days,its so hard to raise your own crops with prices of fuel the way they are and make ends meet. With fuel going up...guess what goes up on our end...harvesting our grains and hay, and raising eggs, pork, beef, etc. Which means you will all be seeing those effects in the grocery stores soon as well. Its killin us.
westside johnny

Mantua, OH

#19 Mar 11, 2008
JHC wrote:
You fools who voted for Bush get what you deserve. The rich take care of themselves while their bought and paid for politicians rob the working man blind. The media and even the churches are just players in this grand game. The joke is on you, the loser stupid enough to believe that either party gives a damn about your life and your future.
BRAVO i'll never forget the crap i heard spewing in 2004 about bush. it was so hard to believe people were still going to vote for all this crap. i'm glad there getting hosed also. they suck!
Something Wicked

Stow, OH

#20 Mar 11, 2008
The government has turned its back on the American people. We're getting ripped off at every turn. Thank you Mr. bush and all the greedy oil men who somehow manage to get away with the gouging.
westside johnny

Mantua, OH

#21 Mar 11, 2008
the latest price of a gallon of gas in venezuela was on jan 12th. it was 18 cents/gl. i'm sure it has gone to maybe 22 cents. oh ya, the people own the industry and its run by the government. what the f#@k.
westside johnny

Mantua, OH

#22 Mar 11, 2008
(correction to the last post). the latest price/gl i could find for venezuela was posted on jan 12th.
Jay

Massillon, OH

#23 Mar 11, 2008
Let me guess...there are those that think the democrats will lower the gas prices? Wow...that's educated. I mean typically the president picks up the phone calls the big oil companies and says he guys, prices are getting a little steep, you need to drop them. Yeah...that happens. I love it when I hear local blue collar workers saying that they are voting for Hillary because she promises to bring jobs back to Akron. Newsflash...it was her husband and her that sent the jobs away with NAFTA in the first place. But, only tied for first place with the labor unions that constantly told shift workers that they were worth more than they really were. And as a result, they companies like Goodyear, Firestone, GM, etc. said enough, we are moving overseas. There are those of you who would vote for a guy by the name of Barack Hussein Obama. As if it isn't enough that he has very little experience, he just doesn't represent America. Now...that I've aired that. Let me say this. I moved back to the Akron area 7 months ago from a very nice, employable part of America. I am truly saddened to see where we have come as an area. I see the desperation in folks eyes around here. They are people looking for answers. Unfortunately, it easier to blame Bush than it is to get a job, or two jobs. Many times in my life I worked two or three jobs to pay bills. It isn't glamorous, fun, etc.-just necessary. As a republican, I will tell you that I am disappointed with the Bush administration. However, he is still our president and should be respected. I guess the real question is when did we as Americans get lost in life. While Bush can certainly be blamed for things, he can't be blamed for everything. To continuosly blame an elected leader everytime something goes wrong is simply foolish. We have to take responsibility for our own actions. "Change We Can Believ In" starts with us changing and re-evaluating our own lives and situations. Akron is still a great place to live!
Will

Salem, OH

#24 Mar 11, 2008
HAHAHA you guys think this is aall Busch go ahead and vote for Obama or Bill. Gas still is going to be 3.50 and we still will be in Iran I mean Iraq.
Dunno

Afton, VA

#25 Mar 11, 2008
The same mindless clowns that do not understand economics, repeat the same nonsense about Bush and the oil companies are the same ones that pay $1 for 20 oz. of municipal water bottled and containing mountain in the name.

The fact that the oil companies are making $10 billion dollars in a quarter is what is going to rescue us from this. If you can make $40 billion in a year, someone will solve the energy questions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Pops 30,918
whats the verdict on Dr.Bressi 4 hr Aunt Lee 7
President "0" ZERO...and President Bush's Fair ... 16 hr mike 9
Supreme Court and ZERO" 16 hr mike 3
"Wimperor" Obama 17 hr the real Tyrer 2
A Prayer for President Obama 17 hr Rev Tyree 2
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sat They cannot kill ... 191
•••
•••
•••

Uniontown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Uniontown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••