Beware of a windfall tax

Remember back a few years ago when our government sued Big Tobacco and won billions of dollars with the idea that that money would then be used for the health care of those affected by tobacco? Do you also ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Horse Owner

Canton, OH

#1 Jun 25, 2008
Regarding Tom Baugher's letter to VOP, the difference between euthanizing unwanted dogs and cats in this country and the slaughter of unwanted horses is that cats and dogs are put down painlessly by veterinarians. Horses are sent on a 3-5 day journey without food or water in cramped trailers where they are met with a terrible fate: stabbed repeatedly in the neck by Mexican butchers while they are still alive and struggling.

People who own unwanted horses need to treat them the way we do our dogs and cats. Have them humanely euthanized. It may cost us, rather than earn us several hundred dollars at an auction, but that's our duty as an animal owner: we are stewards of God's creatures.
Kenneth Dies

Erie, PA

#3 Jun 25, 2008
So the Metro Parks Serving? Summit County wants to eliminate a segment of the citizens they "serve". I can't believe it. I do not fly model airplanes, but one only has to look at an aerial view on Google to see that it is difficult to imagine a more perfect spot for these hobbyists.
I count 22 taxpayers cars in the parking lot this random day.
We have special places for dogs,and I see no reason the fliers can't have theirs.
I urge Keith Shy and the board to re-consider.

“We Can Because We Care”

Since: Apr 08

Cleveland Ohio

#6 Jun 25, 2008
The Republicans want to drill and drive while the Dems want to tax and distribute neither gets to paying less at the pump - ultimately the answer is a leader who takes us away from oil
concerned citizen

United States

#7 Jun 25, 2008
Horse Owner wrote:
Regarding Tom Baugher's letter to VOP, the difference between euthanizing unwanted dogs and cats in this country and the slaughter of unwanted horses is that cats and dogs are put down painlessly by veterinarians. Horses are sent on a 3-5 day journey without food or water in cramped trailers where they are met with a terrible fate: stabbed repeatedly in the neck by Mexican butchers while they are still alive and struggling.
People who own unwanted horses need to treat them the way we do our dogs and cats. Have them humanely euthanized. It may cost us, rather than earn us several hundred dollars at an auction, but that's our duty as an animal owner: we are stewards of God's creatures.
they wouldnt need the three day ride if they could be slughtered in this country - would they?
concerned citizen

United States

#8 Jun 25, 2008
The Pope wrote:
Hey, Dale, so why don't you give us a glimpse of the Republican play book for the current energy crisis? Let's see, more drilling, more drilling, and more drilling, then drill somemore....And we wouldn't see a drop for 10 years. While the rich (investors and oil execs) get richer off the backs of average americans. Your playbook is all about lip service and status quo.
cant have it both ways, Pope. if there is no oil for ten years while the oil companies spend millions drilling, they are getting poorer not richer in the short term
concerned citizen

United States

#12 Jun 25, 2008
The Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, they know the cost and the end result too. So why wouldn't they just sit back, let the price continue to go up as the demand goes up and the supply goes down?
it is in the best interest of the US and foreign oil producers to keep prices high - that is Econ 101 and massive drilling to boost supply would lower prices. no incentive for them to do that. however, us oil companies only produce 1/3 of their oil (which was profitable at $30 barrel) and buy the rest at $100 plus ...so...US oil companies have an incentive to produce more - enough to diminsh the amount they purchase while still maintaining the high price. but not enough to glut the market. oh the webs we weave
George N

Greer, SC

#14 Jun 25, 2008
The Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
They're not going to drill....I know that....They've been sitting on 68million acres leased to them for a few decades now and have done nothing....That was sarcasm earlier.....You are right and that's why they won't drill.....
Ahh poor old Pope, you have fallen for another discredited liberal taling point.

Until the actual exploration is complete, a company does not know whether the lease will be productive. If, through exploration, it finds there is no oil or natural gas underneath a lease or that there is not enough to justify the tremendous investment required to bring it to the surface the company cuts its losses by moving on to more promising leases. Yet it continues to pay rent on the lease, atop a leasing bonus fee.
In addition, if the company does not develop the lease within a certain period of time, it must return it to the federal government, forfeiting all its costs. All during this active exploration and evaluation phase, however, the lease is listed as "nonproducing."

Multiply these real-world circumstances by hundreds or thousands of leases, and you end up with the seemingly damning but inaccurate figures you cite.
Tsk

Youngstown, OH

#16 Jun 25, 2008
my cuzin Amish Al said the amish have a breaking wind tax caused by cows breaking excessive wind so hence a 'wind' fall tax is possible.

“Put the Kool-Aid down!!”

Since: Jun 08

Louisville, KY

#18 Jun 26, 2008
The Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
What figures, other than 68 million acres did I site? And what facts did you produce? Give everybody the facts of how many explorations have been made on those acres. You mean to say that all exploration is complete and we need to lift the bans on all remaining off-shore acres because nothing was discovered? The main point is the length of time it would take to realize a drop even if exploration tomorrow found enough productivity to drill. Show proof that somewhere in those 68 million acres there is not one place that has proven to be productive via exploration. Georgie, sober up from the Kool-Aid.......And get off this pseudo-sage pious posturing.....Drilling off-shore is neither a short term or long term solution. Progressive is an evil word in your GOP playbook.....Are you still driving a horse and buggy down there in Greenville?
Georgie has a new and better running vehicle....that runs on the "Kool Aid". This way....whenever old Georgie is driving around "bigot=land"....he hooks up a big straw to his kool aid gas tank....and takes big swallows as he reads our blogs.

Louisville, KY

#20 Jun 26, 2008
The Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Truth, I know what Georgie is concerned about down there in Redville, but what about Concerned Citizen? Or is she: Concerned Oil-Con? She seems overly "Concerned" about staying stuck in the black gunk. And I'll bet old Georgie got off on the Court's ruling yesterday striking down the punitive damages for Exon-Valdez some 2 billion just like he gets off on torture. I'll bet Georgie sent a big load to the ceiling as if it were pumped out by a rig!
Now....Pope...why in the world should Exxon pay punitive damages??? They are the "Earl Kings"...for crying out loud!!! They got NO CASH for that sort of thing. Come on..Pope...cut the poor boys some slack.
George N

Greer, SC

#21 Jun 26, 2008
The Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
What figures, other than 68 million acres did I site? And what facts did you produce? Give everybody the facts of how many explorations have been made on those acres. You mean to say that all exploration is complete and we need to lift the bans on all remaining off-shore acres because nothing was discovered? The main point is the length of time it would take to realize a drop even if exploration tomorrow found enough productivity to drill. Show proof that somewhere in those 68 million acres there is not one place that has proven to be productive via exploration. Georgie, sober up from the Kool-Aid.......And get off this pseudo-sage pious posturing.....Drilling off-shore is neither a short term or long term solution. Progressive is an evil word in your GOP playbook.....Are you still driving a horse and buggy down there in Greenville?
I would say you are pretty short on facts yourself. You have implied that the oil companies are just sitting on these leases. The federal gov't collects around $800 million in lease payments on those lands. In addition, 2.6 billion was collected in royalties for onshore production. After 10 years, if no production has started, the lease reverts to the federal government. All payments are forfeited. A holder of the lease can also stop payments and let the lease revert earlier. The oil companies are not philanthropic organizations, that is, they don't make these payments just to hold production back. In any case, they cannot tie these leases up indefinitely. Go to the Energy Information Administration website to get every fact and figure you are looking for.
George N

Greer, SC

#22 Jun 26, 2008
Over 53,500 exploratory and developmental wells were drilled on-shore last year, double the number in 2002.

Louisville, KY

#23 Jun 26, 2008
George N wrote:
Over 53,500 exploratory and developmental wells were drilled on-shore last year, double the number in 2002.
Not to change the subject...old Georgie boy.....but how is that stock market doing today???? How are Georgies' positions holding up???
George N

Greer, SC

#24 Jun 26, 2008
Truth -Sought wrote:
<quoted text> Not to change the subject...old Georgie boy.....but how is that stock market doing today???? How are Georgies' positions holding up???
Probably down more than you made so far this year. But, as an old arborist told me, the tree must be pruned from time to time, so that the fruit is more abundant later.
lookout

Cleveland, OH

#25 Jun 26, 2008
Truth -Sought wrote:
<quoted text> Not to change the subject...old Georgie boy.....but how is that stock market doing today???? How are Georgies' positions holding up???
Your jealousy is unbecoming

Louisville, KY

#26 Jun 27, 2008
George N wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably down more than you made so far this year. But, as an old arborist told me, the tree must be pruned from time to time, so that the fruit is more abundant later.
We will call it Georgies' tree.

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#28 Jun 27, 2008
Pope, you spout a lot of steam but you don't really have a lot to say.

You wanna talk electricity?

Let's talk.

“Lohio Bound”

Location hidden

#30 Jun 28, 2008
The Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
Loonpie, from your vantage point, I would expect a remark like that. And from my vantage point I feel the same. I want to talk about moving forward, future alternative energy sources, and how we can get their as quickly as possible. Does that make sense to you? Okay, what do you think of the Chevy Volt that will be introduced next year?
Oh, you wanna talk electric CARS. I was thinking more along the lines of the Interconnection and how it's fed. No prob.

The Volt is impressive. It's amazing after all these years to see "Detroit" striving to do something even slightly resembling fuel efficiency. The fact that they hook their internal combustion engine to a generator rather than a drive train is to me a move in the right direction. 600+ mile range is also very attractive.

It's merely common sense to apply available technologies to transit. We've placed ALL our eggs in one basket concerning IC engines, and it's prudent (if not necessary) to open up our portfolio to new stuff. Begin the transition now, continue refining and designing and applying improvements as they arise.

Be it electric, hydrogen, solar,(etc) fueled transportation, let it happen. I like playing with hydrogen anyway. It blows up REAL good, heh.

Not well versed on electric vehicles, is the energy applied to a drive train or to individual motors on each wheel, akin to diesel locomotives?

“Lohio Bound”

Location hidden

#31 Jun 28, 2008
PS- Even though a lot of electric cars will require the nightly rest connected to a wall plug, and that power has to come from SOMEWHERE, I feel it's better to source potential pollution at one source (e.g. a power plant) vs. hundreds of thousands of points (e,g, engine exhaust).
George N

Greer, SC

#32 Jun 28, 2008
The Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked you about off-shore, moron, not on shore. GIVE ME SOME FACTS ABOUT OFF SHORE EXPLORATION ON THOSE 68 MILLION ACRES! I don't care how much was paid to the Feds. You idiots want to open up exploration everywhere and you haven't even totally explored all of the 68 million that are leased!! Your phony expertise means nothing. You're position is rooted in money and the status quo. Talk to me about hydrogen, electric, etc. and getting off the oil and rid of the combustible engine. You can keep spewing your oil crap, but you'll be mumbling to yourself eventually when it goes the way of the dodo bird. Speaking of dodo's, Georgie, you're a doozie too......Get out of the way, Georgie, before you get run over by an electric car......
The 68 million acres talked about are on-shore acres.
Lets keep things confined to a constructive exchange of ideas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Landfill Named Obama 3 hr norm deplume 5
Akron man accused of pistol-whipping another ma... Wed Undercover Brother 1
Akron addressing daytime burglaries Wed Dindu Nuffin 2
Obama Announces Sec Hagel's Replacement Wed Homeless Wino Pete 5
Akron man accused of fatally stabbing Wadsworth... Tue Ward clever 1
Keystone XL GOES DOWN IN FLAMES! Tue Homeless Wino Pete 5
Chapel Hill Mall welcomes back Archie the talki... Nov 24 Ward clever 1
Uniontown Dating
Find my Match

Uniontown People Search