Portage man free after 16 years

Portage man free after 16 years

There are 95 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Apr 19, 2007, titled Portage man free after 16 years. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

He had been waiting 16 years and nine months to hear the words. And after deliberating for nine hours over two days, a Portage County jury delivered them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Justice

United States

#21 Apr 19, 2007
The injustice evident in the Resh-Gondor cases isn't a one-time occurrence, two unfair convictions from an otherwise fair and tough prosecutor's office.

Like the Resh-Gondor cases, in Tyrone Noling's conviction, prosecutors ignored viable suspects, used snitches in place of compelling physical evidence, perjured testimony from frightened alleged accomplices in place of reliable eye-witness accounts and used investigative techniques that relied on threats and intimidation to elicit false confessions.

Noling sits on Ohio's death row for a double homicide he did not commit. He awaits a new trial ruling in Judge Enlow's Court.( tyronenoling.com )

Despite The Supreme Court's ruling, Portage County prosecutor Victor Vigluicci decided to re-try both Resh and Gondor and bring out of retirement the very investigator who's investigation led to their and Tyrone Noling's wrongful convictions. Ronald Craig is alleged to have intimidated witnesses, used coercive tactics to elicit false testimony and manufactured evidence.

Countless affidavits and documentation bolster these allegations of abuse.

Let us pray that judge Enlow does the right thing in this case.

It's time the Portage County prosecutor's office be held accountable for the crimes they commit.
mark worrell

Gulfport, MS

#22 Apr 19, 2007
DawgDave wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're 100% sure this guy is innocent? I'm not so sure. Juries are quick to acquit on a second trial.
you are the kind of human being that imprisons innocent others based on your own fear, not your brain:
sam sheppard was innocent, you redneck retarded moron, and a house painter did the crime
does everyone get a guilty verdict because sheppard might have been guilty? you and viggluicci must be relatives
if you aren't a moron, what do you base your claim of guilt for resh on? THERE WAS NO PHYSICAL EVIDENCE IN A RAPE AND STRANGULATION case
stay in texas and just keep going south, because : the further south you get, the closer to your own sense of justice you will be--you can stop in Venzuela, your kind of justice...you are everything we need to avoid in opinion concerning freedom
Donna from Ravenna

Ashtabula, OH

#23 Apr 19, 2007
I'll bet there was a party at the Resh house Wed. night. Congratulations to Randy and his family.
Reader

Clinton, OH

#24 Apr 19, 2007
To Mr. Ed Meyers,
Thank you so much for your fantastic coverage of this case.
Do I hear pulitzer prize? You sure do deserve it! Keep up the terrific work!!
Mantua Oh

AOL

#25 Apr 19, 2007
HORRAY TO YOU RANDY, FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND DEFENSE TEAM! ALL OF YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH ALL OF THIS WITH SUCH DIGNITY! I WAS AT RANDY'S RE-TRIAL AND TO SEE HIM SIT THERE AND TAKE IN WHAT THE LIAR, TROY BUSTA, WAS SAYING ABOUT HIM AND THE EVENTS OF THAT NIGHT, AND KEEPING THE SAME SOLITUDE COMPOSURE OF HIMSELF WAS AMAZING! IT IS BEYOND WORDS TO EXPLAIN WHAT ONLY WE CAN IMAGINE WHAT RANDY HAS BEEN THROUGH. GOD BLESS ALL INVOLVED IN PROVING THE TRUTH AND CONTINUE TO TO HOLD ON TO JUSTICE PREVAILING FOR BOB.4336
KEB

North Ridgeville, OH

#26 Apr 20, 2007
Denise wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to read this. Go to the web sight Free Bob and Randy. You can read the Supreme Court Ruling, Judge in 2002 who heard the case all saw what this jury saw.
There was NO evidence, no physical evidence, no trace evidence no other eyewitness putting Randy Bob with Nardie, nothing other then TROY BUSTA who to save his own neck from frying in the electric chair, his mother from going to jail for sneaking in a knife to him, his sister from falsifying a police report and accusing Gondor of threatening her none of them were charged in turn for Troy ties, which all come out in his 50 page statement that the prosecutor fought so hard not to let into court. But in the Supreme court used on their ruling. Bed liner never came into this trial did you notice that. Prosecutor never brought Norris in to testify. Prosecutor said trust the word of Troy Busta.
No Way Out
Lawyers say the case against Bob Gondor and Randy Resh could be titled
The Insider's Guide to Prosecutorial Misconduct.
By Martin Kuz
Read it and educate yourself.
Record Courier was one sided reporting straight from the Prosecutors office. Akron Beacon reported both sides. But not all that happened could get into the papers. So if you really want to know go to the sight read. You will find out more and really find out how unjust this case is.
I know,without visiting the recommended website, to "educate myself", that there was not sufficient evidence to convict. I don't think that Busta's account of what happened that night is accurate. But concocted to divert attention from the knife in the shoe? What does one have to do with the other?
Resh ,Gondor and Busta were together that night. They were absent from the bar at the same time, and returned to the bar later that evening, together. These 3 were seen throwing the top layer of fire wood from Gondor's truck, together. What is it that you think, would compel these guys to do this? Is it really unreasonable to suspect that they were getting rid of potential evidence?
Busta was involved-not disputed, these guys were hanging together that night-not disputed. All three are guilty!
Denise

AOL

#27 Apr 20, 2007
Busta never mentioned in any statement he made anything about Randy or Bob until the threat of prosecution of his mother after she concealing the knife in his shoe. Then he agrees to go along with Easton theory of the events. If you read the Court Records of the interviews Easton tells Busta his version of what happened that night. Busta states no one hit her when I was there, she was alive when I left, I don't know what happened, I will do anything to get out of this. When asked if your willing to Set Up? Busta says I will do anything not to get myself out of this. Easton even tells Busta she was hit Busta said he didn't know that until Easton told him.
The three of them where ONLY IN THE SAME BAR, by all accounts of everyone interview and on the stand BUSTA, BOB, RANDY NEVER WERE TOGETHER, NEVER TALKED, NEVER SAT NEVER LEFT THE BAR TOGETHER, AT THE SAME TIME OR AROUND THE SAME TIME. Troy left with her alone the both times, and came back to the bar alone no Connie. He needed a alibi, he needed to be seen by anyone, he needed noticed!! So Randy and Bob were young guys drunk and goofing around throwing piece of wood off the truck at the bar next store. For no good reason other then being young. There was no blood on the wood. In Troy testimony he has stated many times different things,he states there was no blood on the wood. Then Easton interviews him again and then blood appears in his statements so, if you trust Troy Busta to take care of your affairs, you house when your gone, your important matters, then you trust his word. I on the other hand see he has made so many contradiction in other word LIES, that everything he says can't be trusted.
NO ONE COULD PUT THEM TOGETHER HANGING OUT THAT NIGHT DURNING THE TIME CONNIE WAS MURDER your really need to get your facts straight. The only time they were seen together was around midnight when Busta needed seen. That is the only time anyone could put them together.
So for you guilty by association if you in the wrong place at the wrong time then your guilty.
Denise

AOL

#28 Apr 20, 2007
Busta never mentioned in any statement he made anything about Randy or Bob until the threat of prosecution of his mother after she concealing the knife in his shoe. Then he agrees to go along with Easton theory of the events. If you read the Court Records of the interviews Easton tells Busta his version of what happened that night. Busta states no one hit her when I was there, she was alive when I left, I don't know what happened, I will do anything to get out of this. When asked if your willing to Set Up? Busta says I will do anything not to get myself out of this. Easton even tells Busta she was hit Busta said he didn't know that until Easton told him.
The three of them where ONLY IN THE SAME BAR, by all accounts of everyone interview and on the stand BUSTA, BOB, RANDY NEVER WERE TOGETHER, NEVER TALKED, NEVER SAT NEVER LEFT THE BAR TOGETHER, AT THE SAME TIME OR AROUND THE SAME TIME. Troy left with her alone the both times, and came back to the bar alone no Connie. He needed a alibi, he needed to be seen by anyone, he needed noticed!! So Randy and Bob were young guys drunk and goofing around throwing piece of wood off the truck at the bar next store. For no good reason other then being young. There was no blood on the wood. In Troy testimony he has stated many times different things,he states there was no blood on the wood. Then Craig, Easton interviews him again and then blood appears in his statements so, if you trust Troy Busta to take care of your affairs, you house when your gone, your important matters, then you trust his word. I on the other hand see he has made so many contradiction in other word LIES, that everything he says can't be trusted.
NO ONE COULD PUT THEM TOGETHER HANGING OUT THAT NIGHT DURNING THE TIME CONNIE WAS MURDER your really need to get your facts straight. The only time they were seen together was around midnight when Busta needed seen. That is the only time anyone could put them together.
So for you guilty by association if you in the wrong place at the wrong time then your guilty.
KEB

North Ridgeville, OH

#29 Apr 20, 2007
Denise wrote:
The three of them where ONLY IN THE SAME BAR, by all accounts of everyone interview and on the stand BUSTA, BOB, RANDY NEVER WERE TOGETHER, NEVER TALKED, NEVER SAT NEVER LEFT THE BAR TOGETHER, AT THE SAME TIME OR AROUND THE SAME TIME. Troy left with her alone the both times, and came back to the bar alone no Connie. He needed a alibi, he needed to be seen by anyone, he needed noticed!! So Randy and Bob were young guys drunk and goofing around throwing piece of wood off the truck at the bar next store. For no good reason other then being young. There was no blood on the wood. In Troy testimony he has stated many times different things,he states there was no blood on the wood. Then Craig, Easton interviews him again and then blood appears in his statements so, if you trust Troy Busta to take care of your affairs, you house when your gone, your important matters, then you trust his word. I on the other hand see he has made so many contradiction in other word LIES, that everything he says can't be trusted.
Goofing around, throwing wood? I can understand that no testimony(except Busta) could put the guys together until around midnight, but could any testimony put them in the bar, or anywhere else at the supposed time of the murder?
Denise, you knowledge of this trial exceeds mine. But,I do not feel that the "facts" of what happened that night are included in the defenses summary. I do believe that Busta's embelished story was prompted by Easton. There is very reasonable doubt that Bob and Randy were involved. In this case,I happen to believe that smoke means fire.

Since: Apr 07

Columbia Station, OH

#30 Apr 20, 2007
KEB...(But concocted to divert attention from the knife in the shoe? What does one have to do with the other?
Resh ,Gondor and Busta were together that night. They were absent from the bar at the same time, and returned to the bar later that evening, together.)
KEB, are you kidding???? STUDY THE FACTS BEFORE YOU COMMENT! THE KNIFE HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THIS! HIS MOTHER WAS GOING TO GET BUSTED FOR BRINGING THE KNIFE INTO JAIL, AND EASTHON MADE A DEAL WITH TROY TO KEEP HIS MOTHER OUT OF JAIL, THATS WHY HE BLAMED THE WRONG TWO MEN!! AND THERE IS PROOF THAT BOB AND RANDY WERE AT THE VILLAGE TAVERN WHEN TROY WAS ABSENT, THEY EVEN BROUGHT IN THE BARTENDER FROM ALASKA TO TESTIFY TO THIS (WHY THEY DIDNT CALL HER I DONT KNOW) EASTHON NEEDED TO BUST MORE THAN JUST TROY (for reasons the general public is unaware of) AND SINCE THE OTHERS WERENT ANSWERING THE PHONE FOR QUESTIONING, GUESS WHO WAS BLAMED!!
KEB

North Ridgeville, OH

#31 Apr 20, 2007
Mantua 2 wrote:
KEB...(But concocted to divert attention from the knife in the shoe? What does one have to do with the other?
Resh ,Gondor and Busta were together that night. They were absent from the bar at the same time, and returned to the bar later that evening, together.)
KEB, are you kidding???? STUDY THE FACTS BEFORE YOU COMMENT! THE KNIFE HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THIS! HIS MOTHER WAS GOING TO GET BUSTED FOR BRINGING THE KNIFE INTO JAIL, AND EASTHON MADE A DEAL WITH TROY TO KEEP HIS MOTHER OUT OF JAIL, THATS WHY HE BLAMED THE WRONG TWO MEN!! AND THERE IS PROOF THAT BOB AND RANDY WERE AT THE VILLAGE TAVERN WHEN TROY WAS ABSENT, THEY EVEN BROUGHT IN THE BARTENDER FROM ALASKA TO TESTIFY TO THIS (WHY THEY DIDNT CALL HER I DONT KNOW) EASTHON NEEDED TO BUST MORE THAN JUST TROY (for reasons the general public is unaware of) AND SINCE THE OTHERS WERENT ANSWERING THE PHONE FOR QUESTIONING, GUESS WHO WAS BLAMED!!
Testimony,or lack of ,to the point of where Randy and Bob were at the time of the murder,is not FACT. It is just a supposed account of the event.
Do you know, for a fact where these 2 were?
If Busta, on the night of the murder was developing an aliby or diversion, why would he wait until prompted by Easton to spill it? Don't tell me about facts unless you are a first level witness to what happened that night.
Michelle Resh

Clinton, OH

#32 Apr 20, 2007
For Keb: You're obviously one who doesnt give a crap about our situation.So I'll tell you what someone else has already told you. EDUCATE yourself and read freebobandrandy.com (esp.NO WAY OUT article)and the many more articles that are there.You will never know the ordeal that a family goes through.Thanks to our friends and MANY supports for helping us thru this.Randy Resh and Bob Gondor are INNOCENT.And I love the hell out of both of them!!!!
M - In Akron

Niles, OH

#33 Apr 20, 2007
Michelle Resh wrote:
For Keb: You're obviously one who doesnt give a crap about our situation.So I'll tell you what someone else has already told you. EDUCATE yourself and read freebobandrandy.com (esp.NO WAY OUT article)and the many more articles that are there.You will never know the ordeal that a family goes through.Thanks to our friends and MANY supports for helping us thru this.Randy Resh and Bob Gondor are INNOCENT.And I love the hell out of both of them!!!!
Michelle - I'm not sure how you're related to Randy but I'm a friend of Patty's and a relative of Mindy Elkins. Please dont bother yourself with people like this KEB. Everyone has an opinion and unfortunatly, you'll find the ones that dont support the cause havent taken the time to educate themselves or arm themselves with the facts. Anyone of these people who dont agree with us could read the transcript of the interview with Busta, the police and his attorney and understand the case and exactly what Busta did. They dont care to take the time. They just want to get on here and sound off about things and they have no clue.

Give a big smooch to Randy and Bob from this supporter!!!
Densie

AOL

#34 Apr 20, 2007
KEB wrote:
<quoted text>
Goofing around, throwing wood? I can understand that no testimony(except Busta) could put the guys together until around midnight, but could any testimony put them in the bar, or anywhere else at the supposed time of the murder?
Denise, you knowledge of this trial exceeds mine. But,I do not feel that the "facts" of what happened that night are included in the defenses summary. I do believe that Busta's embelished story was prompted by Easton. There is very reasonable doubt that Bob and Randy were involved. In this case,I happen to believe that smoke means fire.
Tell me what facts your referr to as smoke?
Densie

AOL

#35 Apr 20, 2007
Tell me what facts your refer to as smoke? Smoke is often us as a diversion to hide the real facts and the prosecution used it in the first trail and got away with it. But the Supreme Court and Judge Bannan (might not have his name right I am too tired to go back look it up so forgive me if I spelled it wrong) saw threw the smoke. Smoke is not facts. Fact are what prove quilt or innocence your can't speculate or read into well they were all in the bar that night so they must have had something to do with it.
There were TWO OTHER men with Busta that night. There were Three Dirt bike at the wash out bridge that night. Resh nor Gondor have bikes. Investagators get lazy, get tunnel vison, get there mind set on one theroy and do what ever it takes to prove that. Hell watch TV you'll see that every day.
The time line was spelled out in court. Randy and Bob were seen by someone during the time of the murder.
I think what your having a hard time with is the fact that someone can Make up a story about you and have nothing to do with reality. This case is here to show you, any one can go to prison for something they had NOTHING TO DO WITH. Just because someone said you were there. There were 19 piece of evidence that would have CLEARED these men not used in the original trial.
We all thought 88 Innocent people don't go to jail for things they didn't do. Well Randy Resh and Bob Gondor are here to tell you that YES INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE SET UP everyday and do go to jail. Yes it hard to believe that you can have nothing to do with something and the only thing your guilty of is drinking in a bar, the night Busta walked in and decided to Kill a innocent women.
Kep it happens, it happened and until your read the information out there on the case you will never understand how it happened to Randy and Bob. I wish you would read it and then come back and let me now what you think.
denises your referr to as smoke?
Renee

AOL

#36 Apr 21, 2007
To Denise & Michelle
The smoke that is being referred to is the bridge. It is key to Busta's guilt. The bridge in the rapids is a meeting place and a hang out place. Ya want to smoke a joint, cigarettes, beer. Ya go to the bridge. It is NOT a place you go to have sex, not private enough. Heck, Troy's uncle could of been around fishing at that time. He fished around that area all the time. Troy admits that in his interview with Easthon--it ws a popular hang out place while he was growing up, not as much as when he killed Connie but the bridge was still active. Plus their are houses quite close to the river. That's why TROY took her to the pond. I suppose he could have taken her to the red barn behind his uncle's place, but I dooubt she would have been willing to go there. Even in her drunk state she could have figured out what was up. These are the some of the reasons why I never thought Resh and Gondor did it. They were not from that area. I doubted that they would have known which bridge to go to or how to find troy there. And really the pond?? HOW in the heck woukd they know about that. If she had been found in La due Resevoir, now that would have made more sense.
God bless Randy And Bob.
Dee C

Bay Village, OH

#37 Apr 23, 2007
KEB wrote:
<quoted text>
I know,without visiting the recommended website, to "educate myself", that there was not sufficient evidence to convict. I don't think that Busta's account of what happened that night is accurate. But concocted to divert attention from the knife in the shoe? What does one have to do with the other?
Resh ,Gondor and Busta were together that night. They were absent from the bar at the same time, and returned to the bar later that evening, together. These 3 were seen throwing the top layer of fire wood from Gondor's truck, together. What is it that you think, would compel these guys to do this? Is it really unreasonable to suspect that they were getting rid of potential evidence?
Busta was involved-not disputed, these guys were hanging together that night-not disputed. All three are guilty!
Your OPINION ,is just that, YOUR opinion, A jury of 12 said otherwise!

Congratulations Again Randy!
May all your days be Sunny Ones!!
TV-man

Ravenna, OH

#38 Apr 28, 2007
The Resh bloodline is that of a thoroughbred. Anyone who knows anything of the entire Resh family will be sure to tell you this is a family that is cut from the finest cloth. Morality, faith and the plain old-fashioned decency that this world has some how lost can definitely be found in the Resh family. I am so glad their ordeal is over. I am so so happy for Randy and his family. Justice has finally been served to the entire family. I know many of the Resh family..., I fell head-over-heels for Michelle..., trust me.
Frank

AOL

#39 May 2, 2007
DawgDave wrote:
And I suppose Sam Sheppard was innocent, too.
As matter of fact Sam was also found NOT GUILTY
And a relative of Mine was good friends with the Sheppards told My dad 40 years ago Sam was innocent
Carefull folks this could happen to You too !
Mike

AOL

#40 Jun 13, 2008
I was locked up with Troy Busta. Let me tell ya......he knows what happened and takes full responsibility. He is nearing 20 years in prison now for this crime. I feel sorry for the Nardi family and Resh and Gondor. But, Troy was a young, punk who probably made the most horrible decision a person could make. We all make mistakes. But, the Troy I knew, said that Gondor and Resh were involved..........and did help him with disposing of Ms. Nardi's body. He killed her. They helped clean up! What do you make of that.......... Totally innocent...hmmmm......I would second guess that one if I were you. All in all..........no one wins in this one. My prayers are with Connie's family. What a shame!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fight against housing complex continues (Nov '16) Wed Homeless Wino Pete 2
Review: Shanae Jean Essence Tue SHANAE JEAN ESSENCE 1
City threatening to sue those who don't pay cam... (Apr '10) Dec 11 Jinx 67
Who are the best internet providers in Akron? Dec 9 NewGuy95 1
News Lights out for Rolly Acres Mall? (Oct '08) Dec 8 No friend of mine 61
News Johnson Rubber says it won't close (Feb '08) Dec 5 old school 27
News Popular Akron chain Swenson's appears to be on ... Dec 5 404 not found 4

Uniontown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance