Portage man free after 16 years

He had been waiting 16 years and nine months to hear the words. And after deliberating for nine hours over two days, a Portage County jury delivered them. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Barbara Baird

Vermilion, OH

#1 Apr 19, 2007
Unfortunately this happens more often than the public realizes. My own daughter was falsely convicted in Summit County 13 years ago. She did not have to go to prison but she cannot find employment because of the conviction. Hopefully someday she can find justice. All I can say is jurors - beware of the proseuction. They have a license to LIE!
DawgDave

Killeen, TX

#2 Apr 19, 2007
And I suppose Sam Sheppard was innocent, too.
Dee Castle

Westlake, OH

#3 Apr 19, 2007
Ummm DawgDave, what are you implying??
One case has nothing to do with the other!
So whats your point?

Randy is Free and Justice has been served!
DawgDave

Killeen, TX

#4 Apr 19, 2007
Dee Castle wrote:
Ummm DawgDave, what are you implying??
One case has nothing to do with the other!
So whats your point?
Randy is Free and Justice has been served!
And you're 100% sure this guy is innocent? I'm not so sure. Juries are quick to acquit on a second trial.
Or maybe

United States

#5 Apr 19, 2007
Barbara Baird wrote:
Unfortunately this happens more often than the public realizes. My own daughter was falsely convicted in Summit County 13 years ago. She did not have to go to prison but she cannot find employment because of the conviction. Hopefully someday she can find justice. All I can say is jurors - beware of the proseuction. They have a license to LIE!
Let's see... your child was arrested, and you believe her to be innocent. What a shock.
lifesource

Ravenna, OH

#6 Apr 19, 2007
As one of the jurors, we were not deciding whether Randy was guilty or innocent. We were deciding whether or not the state of Ohio was able to prove Randy guilty BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT. Period. The prosecution did not place Randy or even Bob for that matter at the crime scene. There was not any physical evidence that placed them there. Many of the jurors, including myself, that more than one person could have committed this murder, but Randy was not proven to have committed it. He is presumed innocent until the state can prove otherwise, and they did not do that, in my opinion based on evidence presented. We were not "quick" to acquit him. If he was proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, we would have found him guilty.
Akron

Akron, OH

#7 Apr 19, 2007
DawgDave,
I, for one, am 100% sure Randy and Bob are innocent. Anyone that's followed this case knows it. If you followed this trial you would know the case the prosecutor presented to the jury and see that the jury could have come to no other conclusion. They did not rush to judgement. They did what a jury is supposed to do and used the evidence that was presented to them. NONE!!! Just the lies of a convicted low life murderer, Troy Busta.
Randy and Bob are innocent!
tim

Cameron, WV

#8 Apr 19, 2007
i did time for escape and the jail let me sign myself out to take care of my kids then arrested me and gave me a prison number.shortly after that my son died from being teminally ill.
the mother cooked meth around him and i busted her she got custody of the kids and i got the shaft by the system and everyone else i do not believe in the system and this is a godd example why.
thank GOD for miracles im glad you guys are finally vindicated sue the hell out of them.TIM from ohio
tim

Cameron, WV

#9 Apr 19, 2007
i was in jail with resh in the old county and you could just tell he didnt do it.
DawgDave

Killeen, TX

#10 Apr 19, 2007
Then I apologize and am glad he was found innocent.
KEB

Cleveland, OH

#11 Apr 19, 2007
I have followed the daily news stories of this retrial and feel the jury's responsibility was to find Resh not guilty. However, I think both Resh and Gondor had some part in the murder. That is our justice system. I admire the work of the defense in this case and am thankfull for the terrific coverage of this trial by the Akron Beacon Journal.
Denise

AOL

#12 Apr 19, 2007
DawgDave wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're 100% sure this guy is innocent? I'm not so sure. Juries are quick to acquit on a second trial.
- The chief Cuyahoga County deputy coroner testified Wednesday that the 1988 murder of Connie Nardi was caused by strangulation from an arm-bar hold -- known by what he termed a ``sleeper hold''-- and not manual strangulation, as Portage County prosecutors have alleged since the original autopsy.

Joseph A. Felo, a forensic pathologist who said he has performed 1,860 autopsies for the Cuyahoga County Coroner's Office, used a skeletal diagram and a full-color artist's rendering to explain to jurors how and why Nardi was most likely strangled by an attacker from behind.

After reviewing the original Cuyahoga County autopsy findings by Dr. Kalil Jiraki, Felo testified that he based his findings on a lack of significant external injuries to the neck -- except for one abrasion 1/16th-inch long -- and the lack of a large amount of bleeding inside the neck.

``Neither of those are present in this autopsy,'' Felo told the jury.

In an arm-bar or sleeper hold, he said, those types of injuries are lacking, because pressure on the neck comes from the broad or ``blunt'' portions of the forearm and upper arm.

Felo's appearance was followed by testimony from a second forensic pathologist, Dr. Susan J. Roe of Hastings Medical Center in Minnesota.
Under cross-examination, assistant county prosecutor Thomas R. Buchanan said that the abrasions could have been caused by an elbow strike to the face, like one of the two blows that, according to Busta's testimony, Resh had inflicted on Nardi.

But Roe quickly replied that any suggestion that Nardi's abrasions were injuries other than those caused by turtles was ``ludicrous.''

``I've seen it on multiple occasions. We have 10,000 lakes in Minnesota,'' Roe told Buchanan.

Roe and Felo also testified about questions about the quality and thoroughness of the original autopsy.

In forensic detail, thoroughness and photographic documentation, Felo termed Jiraki's findings poor and inferior, adding that ``I'm embarrassed to say that, because it came from my office.''

There is the evidence!!
Read it!!
Educate yourself!!
Yes I am 1000% sure Resh and Gondor are Innocent and only those that where involed are worried now.
Busta lied threw his teeth and he knows what he did to Connie Nardie He KILLED HER.
tim

Cameron, WV

#13 Apr 19, 2007
there should be know death penalty without hard concrete evidence!
tim

Cameron, WV

#14 Apr 19, 2007
i know about three murders thats happened in the last 10 years in barberton ohio and they are to lazy to get up off theyre lazy asses to investigate.
1 muder opal hensley
2 murder mickey wilson
3 murder eddie rhodes whats wrong with this no suspects no hard core investigating ?
where do the tax dollars go?
MAK

Warren, OH

#15 Apr 19, 2007
For those of you who seem to be worried about our tax dollars going up because of a lawsuit ...think about this the next time we go out to vote!!!
Not only do they have every right to sue the state and portage county, what about all the tax dollars spent trying to convict two innocent men and locking them up for more than 16 years.
It's pretty sad when a prosecutors office asks a jury to build a case for them while in deliberations. They had no evidence other than a proven liar! What a JOKE!
tim

Cameron, WV

#16 Apr 19, 2007
the drug problem in summit county has risen to epidemic proportions crack down on the drugs and all crime drops.
thats why i moved out of summit county!
crooked cops
crooked judges
crooked money
do you guys know that there is 3 judges who own the oriana house! look at all the money high end officials are making .
the streets are meaner and the police are more lax than any police ive ever seen.
summit county is one of the most crime ridden counties i have ever seen and nobody does anything about it.
i loved summit county 20 years ago but look at it now im ashamed to even tell anyone im a akronite
Vicky

Canton, OH

#17 Apr 19, 2007
lifesource wrote:
As one of the jurors, we were not deciding whether Randy was guilty or innocent. We were deciding whether or not the state of Ohio was able to prove Randy guilty BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT. Period. The prosecution did not place Randy or even Bob for that matter at the crime scene. There was not any physical evidence that placed them there. Many of the jurors, including myself, that more than one person could have committed this murder, but Randy was not proven to have committed it. He is presumed innocent until the state can prove otherwise, and they did not do that, in my opinion based on evidence presented. We were not "quick" to acquit him. If he was proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, we would have found him guilty.
Good for you! This is exactly the way our justice system is supposed to work. The prosecution has a responsibility to PROVE their case. What type of a country do we live in where the prosecution can bring in one witness -- who was offered a deal to name two innocent men as his accomplices -- then be rewarded by not being put to death for the murder HE committed. What incentive did Troy Busta have to tell the truth? He had every incentive to lie.
logic

Ashtabula, OH

#18 Apr 19, 2007
I'm happy for Resh and his family. 16 years is a long time to spend in prison when you are actually innocent. How do you get that time back? You can't. But I imagine a monetary compensation would help! Good luck, Resh! Start enjoying life again :)
Denise

AOL

#19 Apr 19, 2007
KEB wrote:
I have followed the daily news stories of this retrial and feel the jury's responsibility was to find Resh not guilty. However, I think both Resh and Gondor had some part in the murder. That is our justice system. I admire the work of the defense in this case and am thankfull for the terrific coverage of this trial by the Akron Beacon Journal.
You need to read this. Go to the web sight Free Bob and Randy. You can read the Supreme Court Ruling, Judge in 2002 who heard the case all saw what this jury saw.
There was NO evidence, no physical evidence, no trace evidence no other eyewitness putting Randy Bob with Nardie, nothing other then TROY BUSTA who to save his own neck from frying in the electric chair, his mother from going to jail for sneaking in a knife to him, his sister from falsifying a police report and accusing Gondor of threatening her none of them were charged in turn for Troy ties, which all come out in his 50 page statement that the prosecutor fought so hard not to let into court. But in the Supreme court used on their ruling. Bed liner never came into this trial did you notice that. Prosecutor never brought Norris in to testify. Prosecutor said trust the word of Troy Busta.
No Way Out
Lawyers say the case against Bob Gondor and Randy Resh could be titled
The Insider's Guide to Prosecutorial Misconduct.
By Martin Kuz
Read it and educate yourself.
Record Courier was one sided reporting straight from the Prosecutors office. Akron Beacon reported both sides. But not all that happened could get into the papers. So if you really want to know go to the sight read. You will find out more and really find out how unjust this case is.
Dee Castle

Westlake, OH

#20 Apr 19, 2007
Portage County is notorious for dirty convictions....Bob and Randy's being the biggest and most publicized case.
Luckily ,the 11th district appeals court and the Ohio Supreme Court are there to govern them.
I have a friend that is incarcerated, he was convicted of Aggravated Burglary into his own home in Portage County, he received a 15 year sentence.
He appealed it to the 11th district and we're awaiting their written decision.
At the oral arguments last month, the 3 Judge panel was unanimously on my friends side , agreeing and even yelling at the prosecutor that there was no way he received a fair trial, much like Bob and Randy's trial, extensive amounts of exculpatory evidence was withheld by the prosecution.
My heart goes out to Randy as he tries to start his life over.They cant give him back the freedom they took from him,but I hope he receives a large settlement for the years he's lost !
Clarence Elkins got a million or so for 9 years , right? Hopefully Randy gets double that!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Denzinger Investments 42 min Hitlers man 2
FALLING From GRACE 3 hr lil Tyree 6
Are African-American voices missing from Ohio's... 4 hr lil Tyree 3
EBOLA IS HERE….Great News! 6 hr Undercover Brother 22
Deshanon Haywood to be Re-tried in Akron Quadru... 9 hr Delbert grady 1
VA moves to fire 4 senior executives due to SC... 16 hr lil Tyree 10
Judge vacates Akron quadruple murder case convi... Mon Fred Rogers 1
Uniontown Dating
Find my Match

Uniontown Jobs

Uniontown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Uniontown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Uniontown

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]