The Name Of God Is Under Attack In On...

The Name Of God Is Under Attack In One Local School

There are 303 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Jan 18, 2010, titled The Name Of God Is Under Attack In One Local School. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

In this small community of Stark County the religious convictions of its residents seems woven into their daily lives.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

Just Me

Warren, OH

#22 Jan 19, 2010
Look, I really don't care what your religious beliefs are, but there is no need to push it on everyone else. You want to praise the lord, go to church! School is for learning academics, not religion!
Stand and fight

Akron, OH

#23 Jan 19, 2010
I applaud the students at Lake who are attempting to defend themselves against this unprovoked attack. I will be following up with a monetary donation to aid in the fight and I don’t mean just buying a T-shirt, although that was a good start. It will take resources to fend off this “freedom from religion foundation” bunch. Those of you, who agree that this is wrong, make a stand and a statement. Hurt them by making this attack as financially damaging to their resources as possible. Use some of that American money which absolutely states “IN GOD WE TRUST” and invest on the right side. Go Blue Streaks.
Just Me

Warren, OH

#24 Jan 19, 2010
Like I said ,you want to pray, go to church. The school is not a place for religious matters!
Nancy Jean

Madison, NJ

#25 Jan 19, 2010
So why not just put it to a vote and let the majority rule.
There is nothing in the Constitution that protects us from being offended, no matter which side of the debate you hail.
Freethinker

United States

#26 Jan 19, 2010
Good for FFRF!

Stop trying to cram god down our throats! If you want state religion, move to Saudi Arabia

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#27 Jan 19, 2010
It's about time the majority stands up and fights. We are sick and tired of bending over backwards so as not to "offend" a few. If they don't like it, they should just not look at it. And this group that started this isn't even from Ohio. Tell them to stay in their own state. You sure don't need them.

Location hidden

#28 Jan 19, 2010
lol wrote:
a few things:
1. GOD is dead
2. Christian = at least 200lbs and over (GLUTTENS going to hell anyhow)
3. This country was founded on FREEDOM from religious persecution
Try again. This country was founded on freedom OF religion. Not freedom FROM religion. Why is it OK to persecute Christians?
JustCats

United States

#29 Jan 19, 2010
Just Me wrote:
Look, I really don't care what your religious beliefs are, but there is no need to push it on everyone else. You want to praise the lord, go to church! School is for learning academics, not religion!
I am a Catholic Christian, and I totally agree with you. I'm sick of hearing that taking God out of schools has caused big problems in the schools. NO, IT HAS NOT! Worship as you please,but not in public schools. You all seem panicked and threatened because the name God is taken out of a district's mission statement. Does that affect your faith in God? Most school districts don't mention God. If you want a state religion, go to Iran. And whoever is using the name Democrat, stop embarrassing real Democrats with your mindless statements.

Location hidden

#30 Jan 19, 2010
D and D wrote:
When the muslems take over and FORCE YOU to convert and pray 3 times a day at set times or else you'll be the first in line.
Oh and if you decide not to convert they will take your body hang it over a large wooden stake(like they do in the African villages) spread your legs and ask you once more "are you willing to worship allla?"
Better say yes or they pull your body down the stake up your ash. They don't play games so go ahead liberal idiots, go on get rid of Our God.
Ouch. I don't like that picture in my head.
TooToo

United States

#31 Jan 19, 2010
Craig wrote:
This is so sad when we are told we cant worship God! May God have mercy on thier souls!
Who said you can't worship God? This is the mindset of someone who doesn't understand this issue--most of the writers on this thread.

Location hidden

#32 Jan 19, 2010
Queen Nut wrote:
<quoted text>
Ouch. I don't like that picture in my head.
and it wasn't easy to look at those pictures either.
Izzy

Lake Worth, FL

#33 Jan 19, 2010
D and D wrote:
When the muslems take over and FORCE YOU to convert and pray 3 times a day at set times or else you'll be the first in line.
Oh and if you decide not to convert they will take your body hang it over a large wooden stake(like they do in the African villages) spread your legs and ask you once more "are you willing to worship allla?"
Better say yes or they pull your body down the stake up your ash. They don't play games so go ahead liberal idiots, go on get rid of Our God.
D&D You are overwhelmed by cowardice, paranoia and fear!!!
I will fight, with all means available and any I may have to create, as hard to keep Muslims out of my life and country, as I will fight Christians and Jews and Buddhists and Hindus and any other religion, that tries to insinuate itself on my freedom to choose my belief.

Location hidden

#34 Jan 19, 2010
Izzy wrote:
<quoted text>
D&D You are overwhelmed by cowardice, paranoia and fear!!!
I will fight, with all means available and any I may have to create, as hard to keep Muslims out of my life and country, as I will fight Christians and Jews and Buddhists and Hindus and any other religion, that tries to insinuate itself on my freedom to choose my belief.
You obviously only believe in yourself. I pity you.
Teenie Weenie

Cleveland, OH

#35 Jan 19, 2010
Queen Nut wrote:
It's about time the majority stands up and fights. We are sick and tired of bending over backwards so as not to "offend" a few. If they don't like it, they should just not look at it. And this group that started this isn't even from Ohio. Tell them to stay in their own state. You sure don't need them.
Kinda like these posts. People that make nasty comments about others and are way too opinionated aren't even from Ohio. They too should stay in their own state because we don't need them. I agree.

Location hidden

#36 Jan 19, 2010
Teenie Weenie wrote:
<quoted text>
Kinda like these posts. People that make nasty comments about others and are way too opinionated aren't even from Ohio. They too should stay in their own state because we don't need them. I agree.
Ah, but I am from Ohio. I lived there all my life. Still have family there. Stick to the subject instead of going after me.

“A work in progress”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#37 Jan 19, 2010
Queen Nut wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but I am from Ohio. I lived there all my life. Still have family there. Stick to the subject instead of going after me.
It's ok. Let them take God out of everything, because I gaurantee that when all h e l l breaks loose on earth that those people will be the first to be destroyed. Then we will see who gets the last laugh! I'd rather have my children have faith in a GOD then in nothing at all. I'd rather have my kids know the 10 commandments and strive to be good people that know they are sinners and work hard to walk down the right path.

So much of our youth today are getting pregnant at such a young age. So much of our youth is committing violent crimes at such a young age. I bet if these kids had a belief in God they wouldn't have turned out like that. Way to go parents! Teach your kids to hate Christians, Catholics, Muslims, and Jews! Luckily God wont punish your children for YOUR ignorance!

If you think that it's bad with God in it, imagine if there was no religion. SATANS playground and that is for sure!

PS if you think God is offensive, wait till you meet Satan!
Mandrake

Redmond, WA

#38 Jan 19, 2010
The Bill of Rights was not made to ensure that "majority rules", it was made to ensure that individual liberties are not squashed by a majority.

There are plenty of school districts that never mention God in their mission statements and the students who attend these schools don't turn out any less religious because of it.

The people who turned this into an issue at all weren't the parents suing or the FFRF (since there'd be no issue for any other public school), but the people who insisted on putting their religious beliefs into the mission statement and purposely excluding those who don't follow the beliefs of the majority.

“A work in progress”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#39 Jan 19, 2010
I don't really cram anything down anyones throat, I just don't see why the word GOD is so offensive. They aren't forced to recite it are they. Infact I'm sure they could just ignore it. if they don't believe in a God then what is there to fear. Think of it like a fairy book creature or whatever makes you feel better. Why all the fear? What is so offensive about a loving higher power? I guess i just don't get what all the fuss is about. They aren't saying that this God is of any particular denomination and forcing you to worship it, so what's the big deal? What a sad state of affairs this country is in.

So it's ok NOT to believe in a higher power, It's just not ok TOO believe in a higher power?!

That's what it sounds like too me!

Since: Oct 07

Bawlmer

#41 Jan 19, 2010
pistoff wrote:
This Gaylor woman is the most poisonous kind of liberal. They have found two couples who are against the wording of the mission statement, and that outweighs the majority? The liberal mentality lives: "if we don't like ice cream, it should be banned from the face of the earth,"
What if conservatives took that approach to liberals? Why, it would be open season.
Look around. You people do it all the time.

Since: Oct 07

Bawlmer

#42 Jan 19, 2010
D and D wrote:
I have far more to worry about from Christians than I do from Muslims.

But gosh, I hope you suffer that fate from your Christian brethren when you disagree with their denomination's beliefs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Akron-Summit County Public Library Opens a New ... 12 hr SEC Tough 1
Review: Misty Ann Smyser Wed MISTY ANN SMYSER 3
News Akron's tap water yellowish but safe (Jul '08) Wed BerkeyWaterFilter... 50
News Gang activity increasing in Akron (Jun '07) Tue Moomoo 151
News Fight against housing complex continues (Nov '16) Feb 20 BizzyBee 7
HOW'S YOUR SEWER BILL......sucker! Feb 20 BizzyBee 2
Fun place for business traveler Feb 20 BizzyBee 3

Uniontown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance