The Name Of God Is Under Attack In On...

The Name Of God Is Under Attack In One Local School

There are 303 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Jan 18, 2010, titled The Name Of God Is Under Attack In One Local School. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

In this small community of Stark County the religious convictions of its residents seems woven into their daily lives.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

“We Have A Lot Of Work To Do”

Since: Feb 10

Brecksville

#283 Feb 17, 2010
Troll wrote:
Even Jesus believed in separation of church and state. Remember his 'render to Caesar' quote. Look at countries that are church states. Do you want that? The Taliban does. BTW, atheists have morals and values too.
1. "Render to Caesar" is not talking about a separation of Church and State - it was a response to is it lawful to pay taxes. All it says to give each their due, nothing about separation. You're stretching.

2. No one wants a Church state, and the one we've had for the past 200 some years has worked pretty well. Why mess with the original, successful design? By the way, Hitler and Stalin drove out religion, and we know how those countries worked out. Do you want that?

3. Yes, atheists have morals and values too, I'm not arguing that. What I am arguing for is keeping the morals and values that were originally founded with a religious basis. This has been the core of our growth and success as a nation since our founding.
Troll

Bedford, OH

#284 Feb 17, 2010
Reallly wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, the pastor said that at the church I attend recently. the church and state thing. However, I do not think this school was teaching religion, just my opinion, and you know what I have to say about opinions.
You're right, they weren't teaching religion. I was just responding to some of the other posters. I agree with you on opinions. Too bad some others on these forums can't tolerate others' opinions. How does it feel not to be called a stalker or some other nasty name. It's nice to get a civilized response, isn't it?
Democrat

Cleveland, OH

#285 Feb 17, 2010
Troll wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know how to read? Go back and read my post again. Where does it say I question the existence of Christ? And only God will decide who's a better Christian, you or me. Waiting for you response.
Sorry - my mistake. You are by far the better christian. Thankfully, we'll both make it through the gates. Not because of who we are - but because of who HE is.:)
Reallly

Solon, OH

#286 Feb 17, 2010
Troll wrote:
<quoted text>You're right, they weren't teaching religion. I was just responding to some of the other posters. I agree with you on opinions. Too bad some others on these forums can't tolerate others' opinions. How does it feel not to be called a stalker or some other nasty name. It's nice to get a civilized response, isn't it?
Yep, but there will be back lash, I guess we are talking and posting to ourselves again. Lets see today is was called a racist, high and mighty, holy than thou attitude, high horse. Oh I guess we are remote control and a go system too, all from Cleveland. DD put some addresses on, so I guess I, we, not only hyjack forums, I guess I, we, hyjack the neighbors computer too. And if he had any smarts, their are huge buildings and roads between Cleveland and Brook Park, oh and what did the nut say, something like intercity slum boarding my neighborhood, and they call me high and mighty. I think the nut actually lives in the hood with cats and stuff, with the granny gown, big glasses, cigarette hang out her mouth, hey that sounds like the pants on da ground song. Houston, really, why does she hangout in a Cleveland blog for.
Reallly

Solon, OH

#287 Feb 17, 2010
Oh I guess I'm an "it" too. Better to be "it" than "that" LMAO

“I will not keep my voice down!”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#288 Feb 17, 2010
Come on now guys.... can't you two just let bygones be bygones? For crying out loud, enough already.

And FYI - she lived in Cleveland up until a few years ago. She went to Cleveland schools and still has family and friends here. That's why she comments here.

Sheesh.

Location hidden

#289 Feb 17, 2010
Troll wrote:
<quoted text>You're right, they weren't teaching religion. I was just responding to some of the other posters. I agree with you on opinions. Too bad some others on these forums can't tolerate others' opinions. How does it feel not to be called a stalker or some other nasty name. It's nice to get a civilized response, isn't it?
And just for the record - read your response above and tell me who's the one starting crap? No one has said anything to you in this forum yet you have to bring "us" up again? Move on already!
the serpent was right

Fogelsville, PA

#290 Feb 17, 2010
Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry that your faith was based on indoctrination rather than a personal relationship with Christ. For me, I don't believe because someone told me to believe or taught me to believe, I believe because I talked with Jesus this morning.
Greek myths have not stood the test of time. The Bible - well, that's a different thing. It takes more imagination to believe the way you do than to believe the Word of God.
You talked to god??? Did he answer?

The Bible and Christianity are fading fast. They will not be around too much longer.

You believe what you were taught to believe. If you lived in India, you would be a Hindu.

Sorry, I believe what is proven. I don't beleive in the invisable sky-fairy. You do.
the serpent was right

Fogelsville, PA

#291 Feb 17, 2010
Concerned Clevelander wrote:
It's truly amazing that just because a handful of people might be offended, we will turn our back on values and beliefs that have been held since the founding of our country. That's wonderful that you see no evidence for the existence of God, but the vast majority of people in this country do. I see no evidence for how God could not exist, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start suing anyone that doesn't believe in God. We absolutely need to respect the opinions of the people in our country that are not of the majority opinion, but when are we going to stop turning our back on our values just because a few people are offended?
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
No one is asking you to turn your back on your faith and values. Just don't force your beliefs on everyone else.
Troll

Bedford, OH

#292 Feb 17, 2010
Nikki H wrote:
<quoted text>
And just for the record - read your response above and tell me who's the one starting crap? No one has said anything to you in this forum yet you have to bring "us" up again? Move on already!
I wasn't talking crap. I asked an innocent question. Who said I was referring to any of you? Oh, I guess you did..
Really

Solon, OH

#293 Feb 18, 2010
Nikki H wrote:
Come on now guys.... can't you two just let bygones be bygones? For crying out loud, enough already.
And FYI - she lived in Cleveland up until a few years ago. She went to Cleveland schools and still has family and friends here. That's why she comments here.
Sheesh.
I will let it go...until someone comes after me again, or says something completely ridiculous...it is enough...I'm a much better person to make, or get, rude comments...
Democrat

Cleveland, OH

#294 Feb 18, 2010
the serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is asking you to turn your back on your faith and values. Just don't force your beliefs on everyone else.
Don't you get it ? It's the atheist and the anti God people that are forcing their beliefs. We are not talking about a bunch of christians that wanted the name of God put on something ... we are talking about a bunch of atheists and anti God people pushing to have it removed. There's a difference.

You need to ask yourself the question: Why was it already there ?
Democrat

Cleveland, OH

#295 Feb 18, 2010
<quoted text>
You talked to god??? Did he answer?
The Bible and Christianity are fading fast. They will not be around too much longer.
You believe what you were taught to believe. If you lived in India, you would be a Hindu.
Sorry, I believe what is proven. I don't beleive in the invisable sky-fairy. You do.
Yep, the Bible tells us in the last days there will be rebellion against God ... against Christ and that christians will be persecuted. Do you think this is the first time in history that people have tried to shut God out ? Do you think this is the first time in history where people have turned their backs on their Creator and the Word of God ? Do you think this is the first time in history where people have said "there is no God?"

No. But it will be the last. Because, this time, Christ will come back ... and every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

See you there ...

Brecksville

#296 Feb 18, 2010
<quoted text>
The atheists mentioned in this story are trying to force their beliefs on everyone else in this school, so it's exactly my point that people shouldn't be forcing their beliefs on everyone else. All I advocate is sticking with the original format the founding fathers established, which includes religion. It's amazing that because two people are offended that hundreds or thousands are expected to give something up that has been in place for hundreds of years.

Brecksville

#297 Feb 18, 2010
Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you get it ? It's the atheist and the anti God people that are forcing their beliefs. We are not talking about a bunch of christians that wanted the name of God put on something ... we are talking about a bunch of atheists and anti God people pushing to have it removed. There's a difference.
Good call. Exactly what I was saying. Maybe if we're lucky a handful of random people will find the Bill of Rights offensive so we can get rid of that too. Absolutely amazing.

Location hidden

#298 Feb 18, 2010
Really wrote:
<quoted text>I will let it go...until someone comes after me again, or says something completely ridiculous...it is enough...I'm a much better person to make, or get, rude comments...
I think that's fair! ;)

Location hidden

#299 Feb 18, 2010
Troll wrote:
<quoted text>I wasn't talking crap. I asked an innocent question. Who said I was referring to any of you? Oh, I guess you did..
You know exactly what you were doing, Troll. So does everyone else. Grow up.
Caitlin Spohn

Brinkhaven, OH

#300 Feb 18, 2010
Just Me wrote:
Ok all my god fearin christians on here,there are many reasons why I dont beleive in god but, I will make my point with this one inconsistency that I have found, that even gets the minister all jumbled... If god created heaven and earth and everything on and in between, and he sent his son and blah blah blah, Where the hell did he come from? Did he just poof outta the sky and say oh by the way I'm god! there is nothing in the bible that states where he originated! And no priest/minister/reverend has ever been able to answer my question so I doubt that any of you will. So this is just my point. It is impossible! He was made up back in the day and everyone just stuck with it for fear of going to hell. When I die I am going to be buried six feet under dirt in a casket just like everyone else. I am not going to heaven or hell because THEY DONT EXIST!
ok first off God has always been there. he was just there. OK there is a god because without him i wouldn't b able to deal with things tht have came my way. I cnt tell u where God came from but I CAN TELL U THERE IS A GOD N HE DOES EXIST.
the serpent was right

Fogelsville, PA

#302 Feb 18, 2010
Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, I asked that question. Here's the answer.
It's there because of a myth that was allow to go unchecked for a couple of hundred years. If your idea that "it was there before, so it should stay" was applied to say, slavery, I guess we would still have slaves.

Now, before you get your panties in a bunch, I will say this. I don't really care if our money says "In god we trust" I don't care that you swear on a Bible in court, etc... On the other hand, if none of that was there...It wouldn't bother me either. The atheists aren't saying you shouldn't be allowed to practice your faith privately. They are not trying to close your church down. They are not trying to stop you from praying before you eat. That is YOUR choice. But, I do not want my atheist children being taught creationism in science class. Teach it in social studies, as part of a religious belief, but not as a scientific theory.
the serpent was right

Fogelsville, PA

#303 Feb 18, 2010
Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, the Bible tells us in the last days there will be rebellion against God ... against Christ and that christians will be persecuted. Do you think this is the first time in history that people have tried to shut God out ? Do you think this is the first time in history where people have turned their backs on their Creator and the Word of God ? Do you think this is the first time in history where people have said "there is no God?"
No. But it will be the last. Because, this time, Christ will come back ... and every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.
See you there ...
Do you believe that no religion has ever claimed that the end will come? Do you think that Christianity is an original concept? Do you have any proof that your god exists OTHER than the Bible? Do you have any non-Biblical proof that Christ even existed? Sorry, you are a product of your enviroment, like all the other "believers" of all the other religions. You won't "see me there" because it's never gonna happen. Heck, the apostle Paul expected it to happen in his lifetime. To date, he was at least about a couple of thousand years off, and according to your myth, he was god's mouthpiece.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Feds OK plan to sell Norton Homes (Feb '08) Sep 15 leachy 10
Who recalls Todd Hickman (akron) (Sep '11) Sep 8 Bliss 70
Life improvements Sep 2 Really 2
News Trustee charge dropped (Apr '08) Sep 1 Melissa bowman 14
News Parole denied for Akron man convicted of rape a... Aug 27 geeze 1
News Teen found dead while in Akron police custody, ... Aug 27 geeze 1
Poll Who is the Ugliest WNIR Personality (Dec '08) Aug 25 Nope 109

Uniontown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance