Joe Hallett commentary: Campaign attack ads reach scummy lows

Amid the inanity coming from your television set in 30-second bursts, there is one politician's ad that sticks out as the scummiest so far. Full Story
Fishy Sounds

United States

#1 Oct 3, 2010
Subtle bigotry? Try this one: Seems Bill Clinton is out on the campaign trail because Obama can't do it correctly by himself... or that the white guy has a better chance of rallying democrats than the black man does...The DNC should stop this usurpation of the black president's prerogotive unless they are so wedding to making the black man dependent that they cannot see the subtle racism of this campaign strategy
dumb old man

Canton, OH

#2 Oct 3, 2010
Simple solution is ban all politcal adds,don't need them.
Jeff

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Oct 3, 2010
Hallett translated: It is not ok to expose cronyism, if one of the participants is a Muslim. Mandel is right to expose cronyism, whether committed in a Mosque, Church, union hall, or anywhere else.
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#4 Oct 3, 2010
Interesting that Hallett did not note that Mandel is Jewish. I'm not sure if that would have made a better column or a worse one.

But it certainly is relevant in some contexts--Mandel won a state rep seat which leans Democrat in part because the district has a large Jewish population. This worked well with his hard-working campaign style of going door to door.

Nevertheless, the fact that he is a Jewish candidate using this type of attack ad is an interesting fact.
jackiekt

United States

#5 Oct 3, 2010
The attacks that we are being inundated with during this election cycle belittle the democratic process. Shame on everyone involved. And, shame on the political obstructionists who are more interested in gaining and maintaining power than doing the people’s business. The challenge for all of us is, how do we improve upon this imperfect union that we call the United States of America? One thing I know for certain...it is not by dividing us.

Please visit http://thompsoninthehouse.blogspot.com and learn about my position on the important issues facing Ohio and our Nation.

Jacquelyn K. Thompson
Write-in Candidate for Ohio House District 20
Bexley, Gahanna, Whitehall, Columbus and New Albany
ramseyjames

Bellefontaine, OH

#6 Oct 3, 2010
Personally, I believe that a slimeball like kasich has earned every negative comment posted anywhere about him! I simply cannot believe that anyone would seriously consider voting for this little phony nitwit!
SamS

Westerville, OH

#7 Oct 4, 2010
Modern American politics in action. Repeat irrelevant and untrue statements to scare the voter away from your opponent, show your own "family values" and support your party no matter what the cost to your own integrity or soul. If we want to reclaim our Democracy, voters should demand an end to all political advertising and go back to debates, town halls and door-to-door campaigning. Of course, these methods would also demand that voters participate in the process instead of simply letting someone else do the thinking for them. http://twitter.com/rebelrepublican
Unimpressed by Mandel

Coolville, OH

#8 Oct 4, 2010
One can only imagine the how much groanin' and moanin' the R's would be doing if the dems called Mandel a honky-Zionist or jewboy jarhead. And here I thought the R's didn't do negative.

This is pretty stupid of Mandel and calls into question his judgement for running it along with the blatant bigotry attributed to this ad by the Dispatch.

This kind of religion-race-baiting is the same principle used by our enemies in their theocracies that practice terrorism worldwide and what the Nazi's used when they tried to exterminate Jews in the 30's and 40's. Shame on Mandel.
Ayesha_K_Mustafa a

Chicago, IL

#9 Oct 4, 2010
I am a Muslim Convert who grew up in Mississippi in a Christian home. I saw the two television shows this past weekend with all of the "fear mongering" about Muslims. I felt a sank in my heart to see the fervor to beat the drums of distrust for Muslims, when I grew up in an environment which was all Christian but the most racist and most belittling for blacks of any you could find on the face of the earth. I love my Christian family but if I want to find violence in the Bible I know where to go to. In the Book of Esther is the story of men who were told to be circumcised and while in their period of recovery were then ordered to be murdered. I read Revelations and the portrayal of the Second Coming of Jesus Christ is not as the Beloved but he comes as the Crusher. There is the passage that says he comes with a double edged sword and blood will flow up to the bridle on the horse. I know that slavery of black people was justified with the Biblical story of the sons of Ham being cursed as the totters of wood and water with their "hair synged" because of their father, the son of Noah who laughed at his father's nakedness. I remember a "sweet old White Lady" who approached my sister at a Civil Rights Demonstration to tell my "looking White African American Sister": Dear, it is not our fault; it is God who made you the servants of others. I say "looking White" because there are so many stories of "Christian White men who have babies with black women; my own grandfather was the result of the rape of my black grandmother; so my sister "looks White!"
I am not simply saying these things to vent, but to show how all religions and people claiming them can be MISUSED. There are decent, peace loving, progressive Muslims who have fought in the wars on behalf of this country and pledge their allegiance to God and to the Flag of the U.S.A. I pray that the sane among us out number the insane and that we stave off the "next Crusades." But in the Crusades themselves are lessons to learn; the movie The Kingdom tried to remind us of that.
Best Regards - As Salaam Alaikum (The Peace be unto you), Ayesha K Mustafaa, Muslim Journal, Chicago, IL
Double Talk

Houston, TX

#10 Oct 4, 2010
CNN fires Rick Sanchez after remarks about jews Mel Gibson was blacklisted after his and Imus was fired also so ... after Cant talk about
Jews
Blacks
Others groups

but Muslims and Arabs are fair game...
Love the Double talk
IConcerned American

South Gate, CA

#11 Oct 5, 2010
Mr. Hallett,

History proved allways that people who use tactics like yours in attacking their apponants will always fail and people will see through them. If this country needs to stay no. one in the world, it needs people who are honest not like you. Wake up America.
Concerned Voter

Avon, OH

#12 Oct 11, 2010
This campaign attack that Mandel carryed out against boyce was a low blow. The twisted image and message he is falsely trying to portray is very deceiving. Whats even more disappointing is the subliminal messages he is trying to push, I am disgusted.. Mandel is not one to be trusted!

Thanks Hallet for this piece.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Low-cost pet sterilization available across NE ... 4 hr Baron Von Rashke 3
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 5 hr woo-boy 31,187
"Wimperor" Obama 5 hr Southpark 14
Rand Paul rips obama a new one 5 hr Southpark 4
Supreme Court and ZERO" Sat tim 13
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 19 Vic 231
IF SHAKESPEARE WERE A republican…. Sep 19 faker mikie 7
•••
•••
•••

Uniontown Jobs

•••
•••
•••