Tebow Lohan

Niles, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2011

Anyone recall the late boxing standout ? I'm a huge boxing fan and know former pro boxers that said Todd Hickman could have been an all time great. Anyone know where I can find his amateur fights on DVD ?
chris perry

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2011

i dont know where you can find his fights on D V D but what i can tell you is that i knew him personaly and we went to elementary school together and high school and his hands was fast as lighting even at a young elementary age me and him would box in the bathroom and he would hit me 5 times before i could get a punch in and i was alot bigger then him at the time. he had the skill of a sugar ray lenorad even back then. i had last seen him walking down the street one summer day he had called my name and introduced me to his mom that day and a few years later he was dead. i was very sorry to hear that i was living in los angeles at the time and had read about his death in the Losangeles Times.
Hit man Hamon

Mount Airy, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2011

I trained at the same gym with Todd alot of years playing baseketball at the firestone Y.M.C.A. My cousin who boxed with him at the same gym as well. On the other I was friends with young man who took todd's life as well. Grew up with him around summit lake. Both of them where good dudes caught up in a bad situation. You might ask the owners of good shepard gym if they have any cd's of Todd. Somebody should forsure.
Tebow Lohan

Niles, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2011

I heard that it was debatable if who got convicted actually did it ( killing todd). Truth or rumor ?

84 when he was in his prime was tough so many stars around in AAU. Mike Tyson and Michael Nunn didn't make the olmpyic team, but mark breland and tyrell biggs did ! Breland and Biggs failed as pro's though. Breland I hear is a dog trainer in NYC, last I heard Tyrell Biggs is homeless in Philly and still abusing drugs. Tyrell's dad tries to take care of him when he can, you can lead a horse what but you can't make it drink i suppose
Razor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2011

I used to work at the Oriana House and I knew Hickman well. I heard bad things about him right and left but I liked him a lot as a person. He seemed to want to get his life on track and thought he could. Then again that was just my impression. I recall hanging around with hickman and another boxing standout I think from DC, Shambra Mitchell. One to tragedy and one to glory

Mitchell went on to be a pretty good fighter and gave mayweather a spirited effort, although he was never really in the fight. He was game to the core.

Breland a dog trainer ? Interesting. I thought he would've given acting more of a go, he did well in the 1983 movie Lords of Discpline. Tyrell Biggs , WOW ! what a disappointment he turned out to be. Emanuel Steward had to drag and will him through the 84 olympics. Biggs won gold over some guy from Italy if I recall, but myself and really everyone else thought he lost that fight. His fights amateur and pro were boring tracks meets. Even though Tyson pretty much ruined him, he actually did well against a young riddick bowe years later. funny.

The Duva family never wanted to sign Tyrell Biggs in the first place to their stable, they were told by TV exectutives (NBC or CBS i forget which one now) you have to sign tyrell biggs or you have no deal with the other gold medalist with us. I mean what could Lou Duva do, he had his hands tied.
Razor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2011

I think todd was an only child and his mother ended up commiting sucide if i recall correctly - confirm or deny anyone ? Didn't todds father also pass away ? I also know todd had two fights as a pro who ended up managing his brief career, Top Rank... maybe the Duva family, someone local ?
Sharmba

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Razor wrote:
I think todd was an only child and his mother ended up commiting sucide if i recall correctly - confirm or deny anyone ? Didn't todds father also pass away ? I also know todd had two fights as a pro who ended up managing his brief career, Top Rank... maybe the Duva family, someone local ?
Hi I am Todd's daughter he also has a son Ian Hickman, Todd was not a only child my grandfather was married 3 times 1 daughter with his first wife, 2 sons with his second wife, and 3 children with my grandmother. I have tapes of my fathers fights and will try to find away to get them online also my grandfather saved several news paper articles of him, I also have several pictures of him. My grandfather is from athen's oh and my grandmother was from chilicothe ohio. There is no other family left in akron other me and my brother. yes its true about my grandmother and yes my grandfather died 10 years ago he was visiting athens oh. he my grandmother and father are all barried in athens ohio. i was 6 when my father passed away so i only have a few memorys of him but i was very close to my grandparents. i was named after my fathers close friend sharmba mitchell my name is also sharmba. he and i still talk on a regular. hope this answers some of your questions.
Sharmba

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Tebow Lohan wrote:
I heard that it was debatable if who got convicted actually did it ( killing todd). Truth or rumor ?
84 when he was in his prime was tough so many stars around in AAU. Mike Tyson and Michael Nunn didn't make the olmpyic team, but mark breland and tyrell biggs did ! Breland and Biggs failed as pro's though. Breland I hear is a dog trainer in NYC, last I heard Tyrell Biggs is homeless in Philly and still abusing drugs. Tyrell's dad tries to take care of him when he can, you can lead a horse what but you can't make it drink i suppose
vernard mcalister is his name he was caught and found guilty 6 years after my fathers death. my father went brain dead he lived a week before passing. i believe he did it and there were witness who also says he did it. at court he showed no remorse his hands and feet were shackled and he avoided making any contact with me. he even spit at the cameras once. he just got his parol denied and has now been in prison for 15 years
Sharmba

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Tebow Lohan wrote:
Anyone recall the late boxing standout ? I'm a huge boxing fan and know former pro boxers that said Todd Hickman could have been an all time great. Anyone know where I can find his amateur fights on DVD ?
I happy that people still think of my father its really good to hear all things about him good or bad it really helps me feel like im getting to know him some how. i was only six when he died. i have several tapes and articles of my father that my grandfather held onto over the years some how i will try to convert to dvd's because they are old vhs's and get them online some how. maybe ill start some kind of fan base because i would love to learn more about my dad and what he was like and his experience with others. im also it feel it would be good for my brother as well who was only 5 months old when my father died its crazy tho he looks and sounds just like him. i had a scare my brother was shot one day after his 23rd bday same age my father was when he died but my the grace of god my brothers life was spared.
Brownsweetie

Barberton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2012

Sharmba, what a wonderful young woman you are. Thank you for you replies. Watching the Olympics always makes me think of your dad. I went to West Jr. High with Todd. Your dad was such a nice guy, but he was very much a silly boy back then. He was in 9th grade when I was in 7th grade. I knew him because my friends where in the higher grades, we all would walk home togather. Todd and Kevin would run up from the back of us girls and try to put thier hands in our shirts, so we would chase and try to punch them. I remember Todd always had a smile for everyone. I want you to know everyone love your dad sweetie! Todd had a good heart. Please tell your brother that I am praying for him. I would like to read a headline that Former U.S. Boxer Todd Hickman's son is doing great things in life. I wish you and your brother well and look forward to seeing your DVD's, be bless!
timothy mcknight

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Razor wrote:
no todd had 3 more older brothers and 3 sisters todd was the next to the baby boy
Steve

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

I would love to see the footage, i was asking someone not to long ago in Akron if any Hickman footage is around, glad that there is.

From what I heard Todd was very elusive and slippery to land punches on, not a runner like Hector Camacho, perhaps more like Pernell Sweet Pea Whittaker after the second Ramirez fight.
Tucker Cleigh

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

I use to listen to my uncles rat n rave about Todd Hickmans boxing ability all the time and to grow up an learn about him is a blessing as well as having the privilege of later meeting his only Daughter brings me great joy. Sharmba you an your brother should be very proud of y'all father,he was a good person and a great boxer who's memory I'm confident will always carry on......
sharmba

Broadview Heights, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2012

Todd was the baby boy he has three older bothers billy bruce and butch and two older sisters kathy and paula. he was the youngest of them all.
sharmba

Broadview Heights, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

today would have been my dad's 46th birthday happy bday dad
Steve

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2012

Sharmba, I know a boxing DVD collector in North Carolina who may have some of your fathers fights.
here is a link :

http://www.classicfights.net/classics.html

To any family and friends of the late Michael Dokes my condolences and this collector also has some hard to find Dokes fights. Perhaps the most obscure Dokes vs Michael Jamison, a long time Tyson sparring partner out of Southern California, big and durable guy. I'm pretty sure he has Dokes pro debut as well, the Lucien Rodgriguez fight might be there or at least hi lites of it.

Sharmba Mitchell I think is in the construction biz now some people in the fight game told me still in the DC area. I always enjoyed watching him , great pure boxer with decent power when he sat down on his punches. He put on a clinic vs Ben Tackie and handled Vince "Cool" Phillips who pretty much gave everyone problems other then Ike Quartey. Mitchell was perhaps the last of the great post- sugar ray leonard beltway boxers along with guys like Simon Brown, Vincent Petway, and Keith Holmes.
Curtis M Burton -Turk

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

sharmba wrote:
today would have been my dad's 46th birthday happy bday dad
Sharmba, I was just sitting thinking about your dad and searching youtube and the internet in general for anything about him, footage, photos and then i stumbled on this forum...I loved Todd he was like a big brother, he used to take me places with him on the back of his blue moped, we used to go to "open pantrees" and play "punchout" a boxing game for hours,I even been to the gym a time or two with him and Bill your grandfather. Tears pour down my face as i read these comments and reflect on the memories and there are many!! You're dad was , is a stand up individual who's life packed a helluva punch in and outside of the ring... To the careful observer one will find Todds life as a valuable resource about life....I am pleased to hear that his children are doing well and that you are proud of who you are and where you come from... Your herritage is very rich and you should be!!! love & Respect Always!!
Big Steve

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Growing up around in Akron being involved in boxing all of my life all you ever heard about was how great Todd was I have never got a chance to see him box. But hope some day his footage will be on the web.
Paula Hickman-Ross

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Sharmba I am so happy to see that you are utilizing this forum,Aunt Paula can sit back now, lol. Keeping the facts straight regarding your dad and his life is very important for the family,community, and boxing history. Keep up the good work!
WynonasBigBrownB eaver

Sylacauga, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Sorry, didn't read thru the whole thread.

Can someone tell me how old he would be today?
I grew up in the projects over off Arlington and used to walk to the firestone YMCA with a few friends.
Seems I recall his name somewhat as I used to be interested in boxing and would always hang out in the boxing room. We also used to have sleepovers at the firestone YMCA and play dodgeball all nite long.

I'm 45 now and went to Barrett elementary and Kent Jr high school.
Also looking for a few friends if anyone can help.

Jeff diggman
John Schultz
Lisa calm
Yvette Cunningham
Timothy Ferrari
Tod buza
Bobby Nelson
Gary Nelson

There all people I went to grade school and some high school before I was uprooted and moved away.
Any help would be appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 36 min Old Guy 30,456
Hoops star LeBron helps renovate Akron home Tue Dindu Nufffins 2
Crisis of Truth Chgo Thugs at work Tue Dindu Nufffins 8
Does Akron still suck? (Sep '08) Tue Dindu Nufffins 214
Trustee charge dropped (Apr '08) Tue Louis Nanez 13
whats the verdict on Dr.Bressi Tue Get real 5
Back to Jail for Tyree Tue Fitty Sebben 3
•••
•••
•••

Uniontown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000