Does 'Belief in God' belong in a Public Schools Mission Statement?

Dec 20, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Examiner.com

UNIONTOWN, Ohio - " An Ohio school district facing a possible lawsuit from an atheist group plans to drop belief in God from its mission statement of values.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Real American

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

F**k the mother f**kers who want to take out 'belief in god'. This is America, you don't like it get the f**k out you atheist f**ks. I will be laughing my a$$ off when you are burning in heII.
p.s. F**K YOU
highpckts

Bucyrus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

Unlike the above post, this is a little more civil. What are we teaching our children when a school buckles under to a small group of people that definitely have an agenda and threaten legal action just because they can and get away with it! We are having the right to believe in God and state it anyway we see fit taken away from us at every turn. This country was founded on Christian ideals and now we are told we can't express that in any way, shape or form. No crosses in cemeteries, no Nativity scenes, etc. etc. When will it stop? We are the majority and yet these minority groups threaten legal action and we crumble. I fear for this country. We don't seem to have the backbone that our forefathers had and for that we will pay in the end.
kaci

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

No matter what your beliefs are, the mission statement was illegal as it was written. It was creating an "Us against them" mentality and it was in direct violation of the First Amendment. If it's that important to you that your children learn about religion at school, or even hear references to it, then you should send them to private school. Luckily for you, there is one right down the street from the public school, called Lake Center Christian School.
RLPLAKEFAN

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

I'm so disappointed in Lake Local Schools School Board on their decision to cowardly back down without a fight to a small out of town group that want's God taken out of everything including Lakes mission statement, what's next? Lake Township is a highly Christian area with 100 churches give or take. I feel the people who voted you in yoted for the for the wrong folks, period!!! What you have is a small group of anti-Christ people wanting to take God off everything and anything and when they threaten suit it seems we run and hide. Just think of what Jesus did for us and the price He paid. Thanks to Him He didn't run or hide and He paid the price with His life for us and look how we repay Him. May He forgive us. If you look back on the history you'll see this country was founded by our Forefathers with strong Christian values. Everything they did or said it always included God. Look at the buildings in Washington DC, the dollar bill and so much more as they all included the word God. The anti-Christ groups want to run to the First Amendment and they have to the point that the ink has been worn off of it by now. I don't know about this group that your backing down to but they must be a group very much like the ACLU, all atheist. Look at our schools today, guns, drugs, gangs, etc.. Maybe if they would let their children have some exposure to God then our children would be just a little more respectful towards others and better for it. I'm afraid those people are afraid their children might learn something good that their parents haven't unfortunately. I'm sure the voters like myself will do everything possible to make sure that when election time comes again you'll be on the outside looking in and you won't have to wonder why!!! I'll do my part as I had three children and two grand children attend Lake and I want to make sure your all voted out. In Jesus name, Amen.'
kaci

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

The fact that you can't even recognize the hatred and venom in your own words is proof that you are ignorant to the concept of having a Christian heart. May God have mercy on your soul.
RLPLAKEFAN

Chagrin Falls, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

I'm sorry that I haven't replied to you prior to this but I hate no one, period!!! I can forgive but I don't have to forget. Because I want them out of office doesn't mean I hate them. Do you want your children to grow up without any Christian values, I don't. I also think its sad that we fine it so necessary to take God's name out of and off everything, why??? After rereading my posting I can see why you feel the way you do and for that I'm sorry. You might too look at your posting as it also is using very strong words. I work every day at trying to become a better Christian and maybe that day I wasn't but only God knows what's in my heart. I hope this helps clear the air!!!
Religious or Not

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2010

There are certain things that should remain the same. Taking the religious reference out of the nission statement doesn't seem right. I am by no means religious. But, I'm certainly no atheist. The school had the religious reference in the mission statement from the beginning. It should remain that way. Just as "Under God" should remain in the pledge.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Uniontown Discussions

Search the Uniontown Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr full frontal nudity 28,479
LeBron is back! 12 hr d pantz 1
Who lost Iraq? The Iraqis did, with an assist f... Jul 9 GOP Dopes 36
boosh vacationed while New Orleans DROWNED! Jul 9 GOP Dopes 1
Feaster back in court Jul 9 Foghorn Leghorn 2
Gay Games Rodeo coming to Summit County Fairgro... Jul 9 Tu Hung Lo 8
Brilliant individual Jul 8 Loves Obammy 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

Uniontown Jobs

•••