Homeless man arrested for stealing bread

Homeless man arrested for stealing bread

There are 144 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 23, 2007, titled Homeless man arrested for stealing bread. In it, Newsday reports that:

A homeless man, attempting to steal rolls from a Freeport convenience store on Thanksgiving Day, threw hot soup at a woman who then chased him, tackled him and held him for police.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
WOODY FROM ST JAMES

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Nov 23, 2007
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!
shut up

Huntington Station, NY

#2 Nov 23, 2007
newsday loves this stuff...the police didn't arrest him..the complainant did...
Jean Valjean

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Nov 23, 2007
This would make a great Broadway musical.... or novel. "Les Miserables Dirtbags".
Rescued

Paterson, NJ

#4 Nov 23, 2007
He wanted to be caught so that he could have a warm jail cell with food.
Slappy White

Milford, CT

#5 Nov 23, 2007
When I read the headline, I actually felt a little sorry for the guy. Then I read the story. Was he attempting to steal hot soup, too? Well, now he won't be homeless anymore, at our expense.
Dr Pandora Spock

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Nov 23, 2007
Poor man, the local soup kitchen that was serving Thanksgiving Dinner gave him turkey but no rolls for the sandwiches. What do you expect him to do?
Rudee

Hicksville, NY

#7 Nov 23, 2007
This will keep up Nassau DA Kathleen Rice's 100% conviction race - instead of going after the real crooks located on the 4th floor at 1 West Strret in Mineola.
DENISE

Vero Beach, FL

#8 Nov 23, 2007
YOU WOULD STEAL TO IF YOU WERE HUNGRY AND DESPERATE!!!!!!!!!WALK A MILE IN SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES AND THEN SEE IF YOU FEEL THE SAME.
Unreal

Valley Stream, NY

#10 Nov 23, 2007
Stealing because you're starving is one thing, but to throw hot soup at someone who is trying to stop you from taking what isn't yours is not right no matter what. All sympathy for him goes out the window with that act. No more soup for him!!
Slappy White

Milford, CT

#11 Nov 23, 2007
DENISE wrote:
YOU WOULD STEAL TO IF YOU WERE HUNGRY AND DESPERATE!!!!!!!!!WALK A MILE IN SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES AND THEN SEE IF YOU FEEL THE SAME.
So, you think the cops should just let him go? He threw hot soup on a woman. If he had just taken the rolls and gone, it would be a different story, but he assaulted someone.

Enough with the bleeding heart crap. He's a young guy, why wasn't he working?
merrickgirl

Hicksville, NY

#12 Nov 23, 2007
I felt sad for the homeless person at 1st but he shouldnot have thrown hot soup at Anyone.Maybe if the owners of the store were compassionate they would have just given him the bread and noone would have been hurt.Now he wont be homeless I am sure
merrickgirl

Hicksville, NY

#13 Nov 23, 2007
DENISE wrote:
I agree with you up to a point. he should not have thrown hot soup at anyone and he could have gone to any church and they would have helped him. I myself have had money problems in the past and the church actually paid my rent for me till I got myself back on my feet and gave me food cards there is always a beter way then stealing
AUNTY EMM

AOL

#15 Nov 23, 2007
DENISE wrote:
I AGREE-VERY SAD. HE SHOULD'NT HAVE THROWN THE SOUP THOUGH. I BET IF HE ASKED THEY WOULD HAVE GIVIN IT TO HIM. WELL MAYBE GOD WANTS HIM UNDER A ROOF!!
mike

AOL

#17 Nov 23, 2007
I bet there would have been no charges filed if it was just a stolen bread story. The Hot Soup changed everything.
KirkHere

Daytona Beach, FL

#19 Nov 23, 2007
another perspective: How we forget that study after study has revealed that many homeless people suffer from mental disorders.
We never had these problems are such a large scale when the State had open and functioning mental institutions where these people could be cared for. But to save taxes the State closed them all down initially throwing these mentally ill people onto the street. Fast forward to today we leave these people to fend for themselves or wait until they commit a crime and imprison them. Then we sit and scrartch our collective heads as to why 40 to 50% of prison inmates have psychiatric problems.
Midnight Driver

Scarsdale, NY

#20 Nov 23, 2007
A 28 year old this desperate.Me thinks he is very ill. Open up KIngs Park for what it really is needed for. Get the luneys off the streets.
Hello

New York, NY

#21 Nov 23, 2007
I would think he would be charged with a little more than stealing bread? Another Newsday headline that does not reflect the "real" story? Hope the Rev Al reads the whole story before running out to LI.
Hello

New York, NY

#22 Nov 23, 2007
Give me a break - there were ample Soup kitchens open on LI for the homeless. Where do you think he got the soup?
villidbro

Saratoga Springs, NY

#24 Nov 23, 2007
sentence him to a "galley" so he can row Cheney and Bush up the Potomic and they can admire their accomplishments..
Pete

South Bound Brook, NJ

#26 Nov 23, 2007
Slappy White wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you think the cops should just let him go? He threw hot soup on a woman. If he had just taken the rolls and gone, it would be a different story, but he assaulted someone.
Enough with the bleeding heart crap. He's a young guy, why wasn't he working?
I agree totally. You are only homeless because you want to be. If you can't work, why isn't the state taking care of you? I'm tired of the pan handlers and beggars on the streets. Alot of them dressed better than the average working person. And alot of them are smoking. If you're smoking and begging for people to help you, the last thing you need to be doing is smoking or drinking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniondale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 6 hr Big Bruser 9,007
News Nassau seniors crowd county offices after erron... Tue Deb 1
News 2 Teens Arrested for Copiague Murder (Apr '10) Dec 11 wizard of ZOG 13
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Dec 11 Big Bruser 2,954
News Syosset Teacher Charged With Endangering Student (Jan '10) Dec 8 THIS DUDE IS MY T... 19
News Christopher and Bruce Cornett at a former baseb... Dec 6 free money from Sam 1
News At least 55 years for man convicted of murderin... (Jan '07) Apr '18 Dee2 2

Uniondale Jobs

Personal Finance

Uniondale Mortgages