Ex-governor takes on rail project

Ex-governor takes on rail project

There are 29 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Sep 4, 2007, titled Ex-governor takes on rail project. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Former Indiana Gov. Joseph Kernan has been tapped as a consultant for a proposal to bring an intermodal rail development to LaPorte County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
someone

Louisville, KY

#1 Sep 4, 2007
hi
Carmel Snobs

Green Springs, OH

#2 Sep 4, 2007
I think this would be a great opportunity to get back some of the money the northern part of Indiana lost when Daniels sold the toll road. They need all the jobs they can get up in the Northern Counties. Good for Kernan.
Citizen One

Fort Thomas, KY

#4 Sep 4, 2007
Ah, cronyism at its best! This is what the rail system boondoggles are all about. Just look at the Portland system. Corruption, cronyism and crooks. This, and worse is what we can expect from any mass transit rail system boondoggle.
Gone n Glad

Russell Springs, KY

#5 Sep 4, 2007
This story is not only old it is Lame!! Spread around a few million and study, study, study and in 2 or 3 years come back for a few more $$'s. Ultimately nothing will happen and by then the focus will be back on extending I69 south.
Failure Detection

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Sep 4, 2007
Citizen One wrote:
Ah, cronyism at its best! This is what the rail system boondoggles are all about. Just look at the Portland system. Corruption, cronyism and crooks. This, and worse is what we can expect from any mass transit rail system boondoggle.
FAIL!!!
Failure Detection

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Sep 4, 2007
Gone n Glad wrote:
This story is not only old it is Lame!! Spread around a few million and study, study, study and in 2 or 3 years come back for a few more $$'s. Ultimately nothing will happen and by then the focus will be back on extending I69 south.
FAIL!!!!
Open Mind

Newport, KY

#8 Sep 4, 2007
Carmel Snobs wrote:
I think this would be a great opportunity to get back some of the money the northern part of Indiana lost when Daniels sold the toll road. They need all the jobs they can get up in the Northern Counties. Good for Kernan.
First, how much of an opportunity would this be? Not a major impact on the area in the way of jobs. Second, what money was lost? It's not like those tolls were going to fund things in that area. Or that the people who took it over fired everyone and brought in out of state workers to run it. Lastly, Daniels didn't sell the toll road! Why can't some of you get that through your heads? It's a lease that expires (granted in 75 years) but it still expires. Also the state still has a say making sure that the company runs the road properly.
Old Guy

Noblesville, IN

#11 Sep 4, 2007
Open Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
First, how much of an opportunity would this be? Not a major impact on the area in the way of jobs. Second, what money was lost? It's not like those tolls were going to fund things in that area. Or that the people who took it over fired everyone and brought in out of state workers to run it. Lastly, Daniels didn't sell the toll road! Why can't some of you get that through your heads? It's a lease that expires (granted in 75 years) but it still expires. Also the state still has a say making sure that the company runs the road properly.
It's just whiney-a$$ed Democrats complaining. They screwed the state to the edge of bankruptcy with an eye toward amending the state constitution to allow the state to go into debt - the Democrats favorite toy. They were thwarted, so they blame everything from the weather to crime in Indy on Daniels. With a little luck they've irritated Marion County voters enough to throw out Peterson and enough of the Carson mafia to regain control of the County. The big law firms feeding at the public trough may back-door that, but we can always hope. Vote!

“I Pity the Fool”

Since: Mar 07

Fishers, IN

#13 Sep 4, 2007
Carmel Snobs wrote:
Are you completely ignorant of the facts, or so one-sided in your thinking that you throw out random idiotic statements like, the northern part of Indiana lost money, or Daniels 'sold' the toll road.

One, the entire State gained a boatload of money, and two, the State 'leased' the toll road. If you don't agree with it, fine, speak out against it. But don't try to spread lies to others, that's just petty.
Brady

Argos, IN

#14 Sep 4, 2007
Kernan is stealing the land of great Hoosier farmers in Laporte county. Take this project somewhere else.
Ed Godard

Florence, KY

#15 Sep 4, 2007
They are planning to use eminent domain to steal the land from rigthful owners. Shame on Joe Kernan for getting involved with this theft!

Since: Mar 07

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Sep 4, 2007
I think most of you would be happy if Indiana was still agrarian and relied on horse and buggy.

I'm sorry if you feel life has left you behind, but projects like this will replace money lost when manufacturing jobs dried up. I would rather see farmland (though prove it) being used than sit empty and continue to get government subsidies.
Citizen One

Fort Thomas, KY

#17 Sep 4, 2007
Failure Detection wrote:
<quoted text>
FAIL!!!
Ah, the one word reply. The sign of Epic Failure.
no progress allowed

Chicago, IL

#18 Sep 4, 2007
An intermodal terminal will be built with PRIVATE money.
Cronyism is a non-starter because this is not government. Business can hire anyone they please. If you read the article, the real estate developer already has options on the land. Therefore, it is not a land-grab, or stealing land, or other such Bolshevik accusations. There was no declaration of government eminent domain. Land options, for all of you communists and anarchists, means that the owners have already agreed to sell the property. The current land owners have already received a payment from the developer.

Typical communists, snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Marion county resident

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Sep 4, 2007
Carmel Snobs wrote:
Just to mention, Kernan is working for Daniels to help Indiana with the property tax crisis as well as tax reform on a special committee formed by Daniels. So, Kernan is working with Daniels, not against him. That is good since it is a bi-partisan effort to solve the property tax and government reform issue.

By the way, the toll road was leased, not sold.
Geist Resident

Fishers, IN

#20 Sep 4, 2007
Kernan can't take another job. He needs to return as Govenor. He seems to be doing alot more than Daniels.
Open Mind

Newport, KY

#21 Sep 4, 2007
Geist Resident wrote:
Kernan can't take another job. He needs to return as Govenor. He seems to be doing alot more than Daniels.
What the heck are you talking about? Kernan was hired by a private firm; he didn't have anything to do with this orginally if you read the article. As a govenor he did *nothing*. Whether or not you agree with Daniels he has accomplished far more than Kernan ever did. Granted that Kernan was in office a far shorter time. Did you actually read this article?
LKH

Fishers, IN

#22 Sep 4, 2007
Citizen One wrote:
Do you know what an "intermodal rail development" is? Did you read the story? This has nothing to do with mass transit.
Are Facts Important

Fishers, IN

#23 Sep 4, 2007
I am truly frightenend by the broad brush comments regarding the Toll Road, eminent domain, jobs and many other total inaccuracies that some posters use to provide infrastructure for their political agendas. READ the article...get the FACTS. The truth is more important than your agendas. If we know the truth, then we can make progress...hopefully together. Don't just assume the details, search them out and try to understand them. Only then can we have reasonable discussions regarding policies, our culture, taxes and how they are spent. Until then it's just a lot of noise.
Against idiots

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Sep 4, 2007
Carmel Snobs wrote:
What the F? Lost money???? HOW??? What was sold? I thought it was a long term lease. Moreover, INDOT funds from years ago paid for the road. Not just the "region". What did the Northern part of our fine state loose because an asset was leased? I am sooooooo tired of the ignorance around a VERY simple and wise business decision.

What person would not take a second mortgage on their house, assuming equity, to pay for their kids education? That is all that whole deal is about, using an asset to finance a long term "better deal".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union Mills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for a matt woolsey (Mar '09) Jun '16 Overit 15
Trump: " women...you have to treat em like sh*t" May '16 Bruce 1
subway (Jan '16) Jan '16 brandon123 1
NUSBAUM Elkin Funeral home (May '15) Oct '15 The Rev 5
Need to know (Aug '15) Aug '15 Liar 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Aug '15 CorruptionKiller 35
Obama is a bad president. (Oct '12) Oct '12 Capitalism works 1

Union Mills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Union Mills Mortgages