Vegan views may cost him job, teacher...

Vegan views may cost him job, teacher says

There are 30 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 6, 2007, titled Vegan views may cost him job, teacher says. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Dave Warwak has taught art at Fox River Grove Middle School for eight years, and for most of that time, he was happy to eat meatloaf, hot dogs or whatever else the cafeteria workers dished out.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Me-ow

Madison, TN

#21 Sep 9, 2007
How convenient for Mr. Warwak that the school district is unable to share their side of the story due to privacy laws.
Dave W

United States

#22 Sep 9, 2007
I've appreciated reading the range of opinions on this topic. As someone who adopted a vegetarian-nearly-vegan diet two years ago after working as a public health researcher (this ultimately led me to read "The China Study"), I wish I had had such a teacher 20 years ago. I do agree that this teacher was over the line by going outside the area he was contracted to teach, but I believe the "I can eat whatever I want" line becomes blurred when our society must collectively shoulder the burden of medical costs for each instance of diseases that have been conclusively proven to be linked to certain diets. Insurance companies and policymakers came to this realization re: smoking; and if current health trends (e.g., childhood obesity, heart disease, and type II diabetes) continue, the same will ultimately occur with diets containing animal-produced proteins. While art class may not be the proper setting, public school courses such as health and science would be wise to cover "not-yet-mainstream" topics such as vegetarianism and veganism, at least from the perspective that includes well-backed public health and environmental science--even if the volumes of data out there have been relatively ignored by mainstream media. There is a strong base of evidence for vegetarian and vegan diets that is pure data-backed science, and has little to do with "personal philosophy," as might be argued with a topic such as religion. America's children have a right to be aware of these facts.
LEARN TO SPELL

Oklahoma City, OK

#23 Sep 10, 2007
Why do people think that childhood obesity is because of meat eating? I appreciate the China Study, and Dr. Campbell's assertion about meat might be so, but let me add this to the mix for discussion: the Chinese do not eat much gluten in their diets like we Westerners. It's carbs/gluten that can make you gain weight. It's carbs/gluten that affects the brains of our children (and their parents)- can you say, "rising depression rates/suicides, rising bi-polar stats, rising ADD #s, rising Autism Spectrum -- probably due to rising consumption of junk food made with GLUTEN/carbs!

It's insideous and not obvious in some (low iron/poor test scores); yet in others it is. Some might have diarrhea, some might have ADD. Some might be too skinny, some too fat. Feed children and yourselves vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds and they will prosper. I have celiac disease, a malabsorption syndrome remedied by NOT eating "whole *healthy* grains." I have iron, B12 and Vit D deficiencies and who knows what else. With lack of nutrition are serious consequences. Doctors thought I was "over nourished." A nice way to say fat and well-fed. Well, I was starving and trying to eat more to get more nutrients. And sometimes I eat meat now. When I don't, I feel worse.

I was mostly vegetarian before diagnosis. I think vegetarians might also be trying to innately "fix" something they can't put their finger on ... maybe it's the gluten that's making them wonky.

http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com
BadKarma

Washington, DC

#24 Sep 10, 2007
If this born-again Veganist fanatic is actually fired, score one for the sane people!
WE WANT WARWAK

Riverside, MI

#25 Sep 11, 2007
HATERS SHUT UP!!!
get a life you fatties.
i went veg and lost 10 pounds.
soo take your fattyness and chill at mickey ds!!!
sooo BRING BACK WARWAK!!!
Rick Gordon

United States

#26 Sep 12, 2007
If you've grown up eating animals, you probably think that's just the way it is, and without a single investigative moment start rambling on about food chains and hunter gatherer stuff. But if you really think about it and read up on things, you might change your mind. All Dave wants the kids to do is judge for themselves.

It is pure fact that meat eaters are way, way more prone to heart diseases and cancers. But if you've already made up your mind without a single bit of thought or you just don't give a crapola, then that says far more about you than it does about Dave.
FRG Parent

Lisle, IL

#27 Sep 13, 2007
Dump Mahaffy wrote:
MR. Mahaffy has let Mr. Warwak define the middle school with his "Change from Within"program, which is displayed on the District's web site. Now Mahaffy has been appointed the next Supt. of the District 3, he has to tone down the progressive thinking and the shaping of the school's values. Please do some investigating reporting into his matter. Mr. Warwak is a very compasionate teacher that has the students thinking not following in lock step. Mahaffy is the one who has to answer the bell if he has the skills to lead the District.
You sound like someone who is not very familiar with Dr. Mahaffy or how he does his job. Obviously, Mr. Warwak has far from "defined the middle school". He has overstepped the boundaries of ethics for his profession, and Dr. Mahaffy and Dr. Krause are doing all they can to resolve this situation in a way that will be best for the students. Shame on Mr. Warwak for putting the school and the district in this position! From what I've seen, Mr. Warwak deserves everything the district can do to him, including termination of employment.
Proud Berwyn vegan

Chicago, IL

#28 Sep 13, 2007
N TO SPELL
Edmond, OK
Reply ยป
|
Flag
|
Monday Sep 10
"Why do people think that childhood obesity is because of meat eating? I appreciate the China Study, and Dr. Campbell's assertion about meat might be so, but let me add this to the mix for discussion: the Chinese do not eat much gluten in their diets like we Westerners. It's carbs/gluten that can make you gain weight. It's carbs/gluten that affects the brains of our children (and their parents)- can you say, "rising depression rates/suicides, rising bi-polar stats, rising ADD #s, rising Autism Spectrum -- probably due to rising consumption of junk food made with GLUTEN/carbs!"
Umm...Are carbs (+ gluten) NEW to our diet? Didn't think so. Wanna know what IS new?
Try fast food every day (or just about) made with transfats, articial everything and enriched grains.
Try no exercise and sitting in front of the boob tube playing violent, disgusting, stoopid video games.
Try parents who are so engrossed w/ careers and love lives that raising kids is not on the check list.
Try kids who are given meds for having genuine, normal angst because of their effed-up lives.
The meat connection with obesity is (IMO) due to the fast food habits. But meat has many detrimental effects that can harm the body, no matter the weight. And metabolism may become affected by toxicity.
BLAH BLA

Mundelein, IL

#29 Feb 27, 2008
ALL U PEOPLE NEED TO SHUT UR MOUTHS AND LISTEN TO THE KIDS

THEY ALL SAY THEY LIKED HIM
Stupid Sign

Mount Prospect, IL

#30 Apr 20, 2008
Great..now he puts up a stupid sign to make his already trashy house even more trashy. Wohoo!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sun City sees spike in use of golf carts on str... (Aug '08) Tue DEL WEBBER 10
Review: Wild Thyme Herb Garden (Apr '14) Jun 18 ScC 9
News Search continues for missing woman (Jun '10) Jun 2 letsolvethis 42
News Hampshire Coon Creek Country Days winds up 2015... May '16 MR BENZ 1
News Defendant: Police used excessive force (Aug '14) May '16 Bob 5
News Huntley man identified as victim in fatal pileup May '16 concerned 1
Too many Gays in Woodstock (Nov '13) Apr '16 WodstHighSchoolGa... 4

Union Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Union Mortgages