Vegan views may cost him job, teacher...

Vegan views may cost him job, teacher says

There are 30 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 6, 2007, titled Vegan views may cost him job, teacher says. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Dave Warwak has taught art at Fox River Grove Middle School for eight years, and for most of that time, he was happy to eat meatloaf, hot dogs or whatever else the cafeteria workers dished out.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
David

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 6, 2007
This guy needs to learn to keep his personal opinions to himself and not take it into the classroom with him. Those poor students do not deserve that. MEAT 4 LIFE!
CJP

Chicago, IL

#2 Sep 6, 2007
Mr. Warwak was sent home Wed., not Tuesday.
You also didn't mention that he is an art teacher, which is an important part of the story.
American Loyal

Overland Park, KS

#3 Sep 6, 2007
Teachers need to quit pushing personal agendas and get back to teaching the basics. Morality issues need to be taught at home
Jeff in AZ

Phoenix, AZ

#4 Sep 6, 2007
He won't lose his jobe because of his views. He may lose his job because of his inability to keep his views to himself. Another typical misleading headline from the dinosaur media.
Donna

Chicago, IL

#5 Sep 6, 2007
They complain that our children today are obese, as a parent, I too see this as a problem...So I have to say that his idea is the right one. Eatting meat not only saves animal and our enviroment but also the health of our future leaders of generation to come...
Dan Foley

Bucyrus, OH

#6 Sep 6, 2007
Wow. It's saddening to see a teacher get reprimanded for teaching students the virtue of compassion. Thank you for covering this story and bringing to light this controversial topic. For more information on becoming vegetarian or simply exploring your options visit www.ChooseVeg.com
If you're looking for veg-friendly restaurants visit
www.VegIllinois.com
Dr Weseloh

San Angelo, TX

#7 Sep 6, 2007
I am a vegan and have been one for eleven years. As vegans we can not side with a vegan just because he is a vegan. Schools are not there for a teacher to advocate their religion or personal philosophy. It is there to teach students the subject that they are hired to teach. He was warned and he did not heed the warnings so he should be fired. http://www.vegan-info.com
FRG Parent

Lisle, IL

#8 Sep 7, 2007
Mr. Warwak is my daughter's art teacher. She is saddend by what's happened, but I feel the Administration is acting fairly. They are not punishing him for his beliefs. He is in trouble because he is pushing his agenda to his students instead of teaching them art. He acted in violation of school policy. He was warned, did not heed the warning, and so he is not allowed back to school. It's sad, but what is sadder is that the whole situation could have been easily avoided by Mr. Warwak.

For those who support him because they believe in his message, I ask you: Would you support him if he were touting the virtues of the KKK or NAMBLA? The principle is the same. Personally, I agree with most of Mr. Warwak's views, but I fervently disagree with the way he chose to share his views. Shouldn't appropriateness matter?
veg2

Chantilly, VA

#9 Sep 7, 2007
I wish I'd had a teacher in eighth grade who would have addressed these issues. The school is reacting defensively, IMO, just as many of the people I've talked with since becoming a vegetarian.

It's a hard thing to acknowledge that our everyday diet causes so much harm and pain to animals; that makes us responsible, and that's a difficult thing to accept.

We are so far removed from our source of food, and from nature in general, that we've come to think of animals as just another commodity. They're living, breathing, feeling beings, just as we are, and have their own right to exist -- they aren't here just to feed us. But if we acknowledge that, we have to change our ways, and that IS a hard thing to do -- thanks to commercialized and mass-produced products that contains animal byproducts in foods that never used to contain them.

I wish you strength and help, Mr. Warwak, in the days ahead, and may your message get through!

And thank you, Chicago Tribune, for publishing this article and making the rest of us aware of the unfair way in which he is being treated by the school. Do those administrators just think the issue is going to go away? If they care about the health of their students, they'll support Mr. Warwak in what he teaches -- not try to stifle him as if he were preaching heresy. Medical studies support his actions, as well as ethics.
Mary F

Romulus, MI

#10 Sep 7, 2007
It sounds like Mr. Warwak was attempting to offer some balance. What should instead be a matter of concern to parents and the public at large is the way animal agribiz is propagandizing children. This is done with the collusion of the U.S. Department of Agriculture through such programs as "Ag in the Classroom," and by literally sending it down their throats through extremely lucrative school lunch deals (see, for example: http://tinyurl.com/2zhygq ). Mr. Warwak is a voice in the wilderness up against this onslaught which is truly poisoning our children in more ways than one. Wake up, folks!!
Charlie

AOL

#11 Sep 7, 2007
UMM I am sorry can someone please explain to me what Veganism has to do with Art. There are other classes that teaching about veganism would be appropriate or volunteer your personal time to do an after school program to teach it to children as well as parents who would be interested.
Robert Nagel

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Sep 7, 2007
Progressives keep telling us that they are teaching the kids to think rather than just pushing facts on them. In reality they just substitute their version of the facts and push them even harder. If he wants to get the kids to think about the subject then he should go back and get a degree in logic and teach logic. Then the kids can plug in whatever situation they wish into the debate and come to a logical conclusion. One-sided hectoring isn't going to teach anything other than the subject being pushed at the moment.
It's been a long time since I was in school, but I remember some teachers that needed to pontificate in such a manner as to elevate themselves to a sort of "Godlike" status. By lecturing "off the books" they are able to set themselves up as the supreme intellect on whatever subject they chose because nobody else was addressing their assertions. Ironically, the very fact that they pursued the approval of their students so desperately, even though they taught the subject at hand poorly, elevated them to the status of "popular".
Looking back I can appreciate the fact that the teachers that taught me the most were those that actually taught rather than preached.
Rubicon

Riverside, NJ

#13 Sep 7, 2007
Another effort to indoctrinate. It should cost him his job. Pushing this is as bad as pushing religion, or other belief's.
DogLover

Morro Bay, CA

#14 Sep 7, 2007
I hope he's canned, then put on a barge out in the middle of the ocean. I'm sick of these PETA whackos attempting to push their beliefs off on to everyone else, ESPECIALLY naive children. If you don't want to eat meat, eggs or milk, that's great (unless you're forcing your baby to do the same-these idiots have killed at least one of their babies through this nonsense). However, YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO TELL ME WHAT I'M GOING TO EAT, you FRUITCAKE WHACKOS.
Annette

Chicago, IL

#15 Sep 7, 2007
American Loyal wrote:
Teachers need to quit pushing personal agendas and get back to teaching the basics. Morality issues need to be taught at home
And that includes religion!!! You said it, I didn't
Abuse of position

United States

#16 Sep 7, 2007
Warwak abused his position to promote a personal belief. He was hired to teach art not push a personal diet program.

If he can't restrict the instructiion to that for which he was hired then he needs to be fired.
Brad

Chicago, IL

#17 Sep 7, 2007
How is handing out a book that tells kids "this is a healthy diet" and "if you eat meat you're killing the world" (admitted big inference/assumption from the title of said book) helping them "check things out for themselves"? It's also hard to know how he used the term "ardent meat-eaters" in the original context, but this article makes it sound a lot like an insult. How can you want to be equals with animals, yet deem yourself better than me (another person)? If he would admit that he's trying to influence the students, it wouldn't bother me as much. It's the holier than thou attitude that sets me against him. I just hope the kids in the class(es) are normal and tune out the teacher, anyway.
The article is actually pretty well written in that it doesn't really take sides, only reports the story.
Acolyte

La Puente, CA

#18 Sep 7, 2007
He should have stuck to his job instead of trying to brainwash other people's children by preaching the crazed religion of veganism. He has no business bringing religion into the school and that's just what veganism is-a cult of crazed individuals who believe that animals are equal to humans. Many are willing to commit violent acts to force their vegan beliefs on the unwilling public. He should be removed from his teaching position at once and his teaching credential should be revoked..
Susan

AOL

#19 Sep 7, 2007
Perhaps this teacher was a bit over-enthusiastic in his approach, but he is certainly correct. I have been a vegetarian since age six, fifty-six years now, and have never even had a cold or any illness in my entire life. Kids today are bombarded with ugly messages from the unhealthy fast food burger joints. Since they are often smarter than their parents, kids need to hear another viewpoint. Schools often touch on many topics that parents neglect, there is no reason why a teacher should not give his opinion about something as generic as diet. It's not a hot-button issue, like religion or politics, but is a valid topic for the health and welfare of school children. He is a caring, compassionate teacher and should be applauded.
Dump Mahaffy

Bloomingdale, IL

#20 Sep 7, 2007
MR. Mahaffy has let Mr. Warwak define the middle school with his "Change from Within"program, which is displayed on the District's web site. Now Mahaffy has been appointed the next Supt. of the District 3, he has to tone down the progressive thinking and the shaping of the school's values. Please do some investigating reporting into his matter. Mr. Warwak is a very compasionate teacher that has the students thinking not following in lock step. Mahaffy is the one who has to answer the bell if he has the skills to lead the District.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) 7 min Just Saying 71
Tammy Bussell (Apr '09) Jul 15 Tammy 2
News Woodstock man charged after allegedly harrassin... Jul 14 Worried 1
News Girl in good condition after being hit by vehic... Jul 14 Anon 1
News Sun City sees spike in use of golf carts on str... (Aug '08) Jun 28 DEL WEBBER 10
Review: Wild Thyme Herb Garden (Apr '14) Jun '16 ScC 9
News Search continues for missing woman (Jun '10) Jun '16 letsolvethis 42

Union Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Union Mortgages