First Prev
of 27
Next Last
wondering

Beech Bluff, TN

#1 Oct 9, 2009
I was wondering if a person owes child support and gets married does the new spouse then become responable for the child support also???
LMAO

United States

#2 Oct 9, 2009
Sure do !
wondering

Beech Bluff, TN

#3 Oct 9, 2009
So even though she may be about $12,000 behind He will have to pay it??
what are you serious

Martin, TN

#4 Oct 9, 2009
thats bullshit...noone should have to pay for a child that is not his or hers....I'll be damn if I pay my husbands child support EVER!! I did not lay down and make that baby, I will help all I can but paying an ex child support that is the responsibilty of The PARENT not the spouse!!!!!
wondering

Beech Bluff, TN

#5 Oct 10, 2009
How long can a parent go without seeing their children before it is abandoment??? They have ever first and third weekend of the month but has not seen the children since Jan. and never paid any child support. Not even a phone call or card. What can be done???

Jackson, TN

#6 Oct 10, 2009
what do you have to do to get a parent to sign their rights away?
dreading teen yrs

United States

#7 Oct 10, 2009
They have to go either 60 or 90 days without seeing or calling about the kid
LMAO

United States

#8 Oct 10, 2009
what are you serious wrote:
thats bullshit...noone should have to pay for a child that is not his or hers....I'll be damn if I pay my husbands child support EVER!! I did not lay down and make that baby, I will help all I can but paying an ex child support that is the responsibilty of The PARENT not the spouse!!!!!
whats yours is his,and whats his is yours ! PAY UP !
UC Attorney

United States

#9 Oct 11, 2009
No, the new spouse absolutely does NOT become responsible for the back child support. Only the spouse who owes the support is liable for its payment.

Guest: If the other parent is willing to give up his/her parental rights all you have to do is have a consent order entered in a court. That will not, however, relieve him of any child support obligations.

Wondering: Abandonment is the willful failure to visit or pay support for the child for 4 consecutive months prior to the filing of the petition to terminate parental rights.
LMAO

United States

#10 Oct 11, 2009
If you are married to him and he has to pay child support,its is comming out of your pocket too ! PAY UP SUCKER !

Beech Bluff, TN

#11 Oct 12, 2009
Can a person go to jail if they do not pay their child support? If so how far do they have to be behind?
UC Attorney

Paris, TN

#12 Oct 12, 2009
Yes, you can go to jail for being behind. For that to happen someone has to file a petition to have a judge find you in contempt.

Theoretically, you can go to jail for being a dollar behind. In reality, that will never happen. Usually these petitions are filed when people are thousands of dollars behind. Even then, the judges around here normally find you in contempt but don't penalize you for it. They'll usually just tell you to pay a little extra every month until you catch up. It's hard to catch up if you're in jail.
wondering

Beech Bluff, TN

#13 Oct 12, 2009
UC Attorney wrote:
Yes, you can go to jail for being behind. For that to happen someone has to file a petition to have a judge find you in contempt.
Theoretically, you can go to jail for being a dollar behind. In reality, that will never happen. Usually these petitions are filed when people are thousands of dollars behind. Even then, the judges around here normally find you in contempt but don't penalize you for it. They'll usually just tell you to pay a little extra every month until you catch up. It's hard to catch up if you're in jail.
Well she is going to be serving jail time on another matter. Never paid child support on 2 children that she has not seen since January. So if while she is in jail i wish she would just sign her rights away and forget about what she owes in child support.
UC Attorney

Paris, TN

#14 Oct 12, 2009
wondering wrote:
<quoted text> Well she is going to be serving jail time on another matter. Never paid child support on 2 children that she has not seen since January. So if while she is in jail i wish she would just sign her rights away and forget about what she owes in child support.
You can probably have parental rights terminated involuntarily if she's in jail and hasn't paid child support, even if she's not willing to voluntarily terminate.
peaceful

Martin, TN

#15 Oct 12, 2009
My childs father wants to turn his rights over, but since he had a DNA test done, the state wont let him. Unless I marry and he is adopted. A lawyer told me that. Is that true?

Since: Oct 09

Brighton, TN

#17 Oct 13, 2009
UC Attorney wrote:
If that was the case how come some people get by without paying? I know some1 that took their ex to court and still doesnt pay. The only time it gets paid to them is when he gets his income tax in but it goes to his daughter, when she needs it every month. The ex tried all she could but it still doesnt help. And 2, the guy im seeing is actually trying to pay his, but when he had to go to the child support office, the woman behind the counter got smart with him, making him feel like he was no better than dirt up under her feet! Thats not right she didnt act professional like she was suppose to. You do have men and women trying to pay child support and they dont need to have some1 behind the counter making them feel like crap, need to get new people in the office that r professional and not a have 1 that is rude!

Since: Oct 09

Brighton, TN

#18 Oct 13, 2009
peaceful wrote:
My childs father wants to turn his rights over, but since he had a DNA test done, the state wont let him. Unless I marry and he is adopted. A lawyer told me that. Is that true?
No its not, which lawyer u go to? Sounds to me he or she doesnt know what they r talking about.
UC Attorney

Paris, TN

#19 Oct 13, 2009
peaceful wrote:
I don't see why he couldn't voluntarily give up his rights. That doesn't necessarily relieve him of his duty to pay child support, though.
UC Attorney

Paris, TN

#20 Oct 13, 2009
Tennessee_Chic wrote:
<quoted text>
If that was the case how come some people get by without paying? I know some1 that took their ex to court and still doesnt pay. The only time it gets paid to them is when he gets his income tax in but it goes to his daughter, when she needs it every month. The ex tried all she could but it still doesnt help. And 2, the guy im seeing is actually trying to pay his, but when he had to go to the child support office, the woman behind the counter got smart with him, making him feel like he was no better than dirt up under her feet! Thats not right she didnt act professional like she was suppose to. You do have men and women trying to pay child support and they dont need to have some1 behind the counter making them feel like crap, need to get new people in the office that r professional and not a have 1 that is rude!
Like I said, theoretically you can go to jail, but in reality most judges won't do it.

I can't speak for the unprofessional employees at the child support office. I'm not one of them.
FYI

Smyrna, TN

#21 Oct 13, 2009
Giving up your parental rights does not relieve you from your financial obligation to the child.(not may not - DOES NOT) The financial obligation continues until such time as the child is adopted. Termination of parental rights is designed to be a prerequisite to the adoption process and is not normally done unless there is someone ready to adopt the child.

"Peaceful" - the state (with the exception of children's services) will not have a parent's rights terminated. That is something that has to be done through a private attorney or directly through the court system.

People get by without paying because even after they have been taken to court, the judge may find them in contempt but always seems to feel the need to give them another chance. Unfortunately, in the state of Tennessee, you cannot simply sign a warrant for an arrest for failure to pay child support. Agree or disagree, that is a fact.

"Tennessee_Chic" - I hope that your "guy" complained to the supervisor of the office about the person being unprofessional. Things never change if people only complain to their friends and not to the ones in charge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Center business solutions (Oct '14) 2 hr Mad workers 86
In five words or less say why you don't go to C... 3 hr really 59
Calvary Baptist Church 5 hr Yep yep 113
Bar Rescue. 5 hr guest 4
salon 6 hr curious 1
Station Burger 23 hr karma 9
Straight talk vs Mobile Nation Sun Phonesearch 8

Union City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance