What's on fire in town?
truth

Martin, TN

#2 Sep 13, 2012
Greenway Recycling. It's gone
fireMarshallBill

Humboldt, TN

#3 Sep 13, 2012
Dang they should have paid there fire protection fee!

Martin, TN

#4 Sep 13, 2012
What did they store in the rear of the building, tires?
truth

Martin, TN

#5 Sep 13, 2012
funny fireMarshall,

Seeing as how it is in the city, so there is no fire protection fee. It's not only the Union City Fire Department out there either.

I would guess anything that could be recycled, with could include tires, paper, plastics and other flammable items.
Curious

Union City, TN

#6 Sep 13, 2012
Where is this place located?
nosey

Union City, TN

#7 Sep 14, 2012
Curious wrote:
Where is this place located?
across tha street frum vf outlet...its still burning rite now

Martin, TN

#8 Sep 14, 2012
As a toxic cloud of smoke and ash settles over Union City, a stench which will welcome visitors as they arrive for the "ride in" & Cornfest, Union Citians must ask "how did this happen"?

Why was such a volume of hazardous material allowed to be packed into a facility located so close to residential neighborhoods?

Is the building owned by Union City?

This fire will smolder for days, stay indoors, I smell rubber, plastic, and dumbass.
Former resident

United States

#12 Sep 14, 2012
Thing is, the effing town already stinks. Didn't need to add more stink. If its the recycling center Bill Latimer owns then don't expect any fines given to him. The town is badly managed but you people keep voting the same ones back over and over to run it. Live and learn. I miss my people there but sure don't miss the crumbling economy.
Former resident

United States

#13 Sep 14, 2012
Now the cancer rate will be even higher in Obion County as if it's not high enough already! Way to go UC.
Concened Citizen

Jackson, TN

#14 Sep 14, 2012
I have COPD.I couldnt breath when i was in my front yard this morning. The smoke was heavy in the air. Should we have been warned about the fire and fumes from this? I new nothing of the fire until i saw the channel 6 news.
josh

Milan, TN

#15 Sep 14, 2012
the smoke is thick all over the county. i hope the epa gets involved in this. not enough water damn call in the state! get some help. your killing us people why didnt the news say anything about the rubber and plastic?????? thats all i smell
josh

Milan, TN

#16 Sep 14, 2012
i hope the state or federal gov fines the he-- out of that man. i bet he didnt have a sprinkler system either which is probably requiered by law not sure on that one
tommy

Mayfield, KY

#17 Sep 14, 2012
we are smelling it in rutherford.....must be big

Martin, TN

#21 Sep 14, 2012
guest wrote:
Should an air quality warning be issued due to poisonous gasses still being released all over town? I would leave town for a few days, no telling what was in there.
I think so. This is not good for anyone with pulmonary issues. Not good for anyone.
info

United States

#22 Sep 14, 2012
The company was struggling to stay open, then a fire, just like all the other companies. wake up folks!!!!!!!!!!
Hoping for some Rain

Martin, TN

#23 Sep 14, 2012
Sprinkler system? Do you think Barker Brother's has a sprinkler system? No one thinks about where all of their crap goes to when people pick it up each week. No, this is not good, but fine the s___ out of that man? Really? That's like saying someone should be fined for their house burning down. The recycling center was for helping the environment. This was a horrible ACCIDENT! Thank you to all the firemen trying to stop the spread of the fire because it's definetly not cool to step out onto your porch and not be able to breath.

Williamsburg, KY

#24 Sep 14, 2012
The sad part is you people have no clue as to what was in the buliding. I know for a fact they be toxic materials in that building. The other sad part is the dumb a$$ fire chief don't give a damn what is buring there. You people need to start calling state agencies ASAP!
jerk

Martin, TN

#26 Sep 14, 2012
Concened Citizen wrote:
I have COPD.I couldnt breath when i was in my front yard this morning. The smoke was heavy in the air. Should we have been warned about the fire and fumes from this? I new nothing of the fire until i saw the channel 6 news.
WTF, is the City supposed to send people door to door to tell people a building is on fire. You have COPD and can't breathe because of it but you didn't know about it until you had seen it on the news? Knew, not new, by the way.
My Opinion

Jackson, TN

#27 Sep 14, 2012
They should extinguish the darn thing! If it's chemical and toxins, they should be equipped to handle a haz-mat situation. Channel 6 says the building/company has been sited with safety and fire hazard warnings. Wow, Jack Jernigan just said sorry for the mess and drama. Everyone with a respiratory disease, get a lawyer! That will show them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tammy Ursery 32 min True 1
Why did Hollywood Showcase close? I love that t... 1 hr guest 8
home wrecker Megan 1 hr guest 19
JD McCurdy 3 hr guest 10
nick and sarah b 5 hr guest 14
New motels and restaurants 5 hr poster 11
Lorie Frye/Hogg 11 hr Curious 1
Union City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web