First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wondering Mom

Martin, TN

#1 Jan 20, 2011
My 5yr old mentioned something about wanting to start in Karate. Does anyone know who or where I can contact someone or is there anything even here in UC?
team relentless

Hendersonville, NC

#2 Jan 20, 2011
The underwoods at team relentless will take children that age. They are taught mixed martial arts. My son did it for a while when he was 5 and liked it. But like small children do sometimes, lost interest after some time passed. They are really good at what they do. They are located on main st in union city between the BP and Skaggs service stations. You should try them out. Only about $40 a month, and pretty sure that includes health insurance in case of injury while training.
Wondering Mom

Martin, TN

#3 Jan 20, 2011
Thank you. Do you happen to have a phone number or what it's under when I look it up?

United States

#4 Jan 20, 2011
Terry King has a class at Healthquest that has young students. They're really good with them.
mixed martial arts

Martin, TN

#6 Jan 20, 2011
team relentless wrote:
The underwoods at team relentless will take children that age. They are taught mixed martial arts. My son did it for a while when he was 5 and liked it. But like small children do sometimes, lost interest after some time passed. They are really good at what they do. They are located on main st in union city between the BP and Skaggs service stations. You should try them out. Only about $40 a month, and pretty sure that includes health insurance in case of injury while training.
Bar Room Brawlers
haha

Stanley, NC

#7 Jan 20, 2011
mixed martial arts wrote:
<quoted text> Bar Room Brawlers
you're stupid! Bottom line. They are good people who train hard! I have never heard of any one person that trains up there ever being in a bar room brawl!
haha

Newbern, TN

#8 Jan 20, 2011
mixed martial arts wrote:
<quoted text> Bar Room Brawlers
fat ass loser! maybe you should join!
MMA

Martin, TN

#9 Jan 20, 2011
You can look the Underwood's up on Facebook. Jake, Kristi, or Zach would be happy to help you! Very nice people!
soso

United States

#10 Jan 21, 2011
Yep
Darrell Brock

Union City, TN

#11 Jan 21, 2011
5 years old is a little young. Larry Vernon is excellent. He is a christian with good values. I have known him for 36 years and attended his wedding announcement party. His Kata's are well practiced and his forms reach for depth. He teaches manners and pupils are taught to master oneself. Your child will be a disciplined person with an outreach for others in a short time.
Parent

Martin, TN

#12 Jan 21, 2011
Larry Vernon will have a better program than the brawlers.
former student

Newbern, TN

#13 Jan 21, 2011
Parent wrote:
Larry Vernon will have a better program than the brawlers.
mam or sir? its mixed martial artist not brawlers! love the sarcasm tho. till you see what they do(muay thai, boxing, wrestling, jujitsu, kick boxing), research it & see how hard they train, please show a little more respect. they have helped alot of people, so dont be so quick to judge. i have heard of all the other schools & good things about them as well, but i would choose their gym for my child knowing them all there. but thats just my opinion. just didnt like your sarcasm! but i guess thats to be expected.
Relentless Girl

Martin, TN

#14 Jan 22, 2011
This is an extremely ignorant post. I've been around from the time Relentless first started and I've seen Jake and Zach take kids, and even adults, that were getting into all kinds of trouble for street fighting and vandalism and turn them into very self-disciplined and respectful people. They don't turn anyone down and they put everything they have into this. Their first rule is to never fight outside of the cage. They've asked people to leave for doing just that. In fact, one time they had to ask one of their best fighters to leave for breaking that rule and fighting at school. In response to the "bar room brawlers?" A few months ago a young man got into a fight here in UC at a bar and told everyone he was an MMA fighter. First of all, he wasn't, and second of all, he had no part of Team Relentless. I've seen some facebook pages of fighters from other places, and if those are the pages you're looking at, I understand where you may think it's all a joke because I've met some that are as disrespectful as they come and really give the sport a bad name. But when talking about Relentless, "bar room bawlers" isn't even close. So talk to some of the parents that have allowed their children to train under Jake and Zach. Or ask some of the adults that train themselves. If you can find anyone that has something negative to say, I can guarantee it was someone that couldn't physically handle their demanding workouts or was asked to leave for being disrespectful to other teammates. And next time you want to get on Topix and start stuff about something you have no clue about, put your name up and let's see how quick we can diminish your reputation, which can't be too good if this is all you have time to do.
yep

United States

#15 Jan 22, 2011
Relentless Girl wrote:
This is an extremely ignorant post. I've been around from the time Relentless first started and I've seen Jake and Zach take kids, and even adults, that were getting into all kinds of trouble for street fighting and vandalism and turn them into very self-disciplined and respectful people. They don't turn anyone down and they put everything they have into this. Their first rule is to never fight outside of the cage. They've asked people to leave for doing just that. In fact, one time they had to ask one of their best fighters to leave for breaking that rule and fighting at school. In response to the "bar room brawlers?" A few months ago a young man got into a fight here in UC at a bar and told everyone he was an MMA fighter. First of all, he wasn't, and second of all, he had no part of Team Relentless. I've seen some facebook pages of fighters from other places, and if those are the pages you're looking at, I understand where you may think it's all a joke because I've met some that are as disrespectful as they come and really give the sport a bad name. But when talking about Relentless, "bar room bawlers" isn't even close. So talk to some of the parents that have allowed their children to train under Jake and Zach. Or ask some of the adults that train themselves. If you can find anyone that has something negative to say, I can guarantee it was someone that couldn't physically handle their demanding workouts or was asked to leave for being disrespectful to other teammates. And next time you want to get on Topix and start stuff about something you have no clue about, put your name up and let's see how quick we can diminish your reputation, which can't be too good if this is all you have time to do.
very well said and very true. I am a parent that let my child train with relentless and was very pleased. Jake was amazing with the kids. Jake is a college grad and not a bar room brawler. I have spoken with guys who train with them that used to fight a lot back in school and they told me that once you start training, you will nothave the slightest want to to fight on the street. So for the couple people that want to bash their program, go do a little homework on them before you go pass judgment on their gym.
Jake

Newbern, TN

#16 Jan 22, 2011
I am not getting on here to debate what one of our critics had to say. I just want to address the question that the mother had. As far as your kid wanting to learn discipline and self esteem, I think training under Mr. Vernon in karate or Darrel King in tae kwon do would be his best opportunity for that. Those martial arts offer advancement with competetion and ranks from white belt-black belt and will provide confidence and direction for your child. As far as Relentless martial arts goes, we are more of a competion and fitness based gym. We practice all forms of martial arts, which is why we are called mixed martial artists. Our style is a more practical form of combat and self defense, because we practice every situation whether it is standing or if an attack leads the person to the ground. So to answer your questions, it is just mostly whatever you and your child are looking for. My gym is located at 415 W Main St. and we are open from 11-1 and 7-9 Monday through Friday if you would like to stop by and ask any questions.
Shelia

Union City, TN

#17 Jan 23, 2011
When the Relentless people have their picture taken for the Messenger they all have a snarl on their face so they can look like a thug. I wouldn't want my 5yr. old to be taught that, would you?
lol

United States

#18 Jan 23, 2011
Shelia wrote:
When the Relentless people have their picture taken for the Messenger they all have a snarl on their face so they can look like a thug. I wouldn't want my 5yr. old to be taught that, would you?
sheila or whatever your real name is. looks like we got another topix idiot. no that dont snarl, where do you people come up with this stuff. maybe you should find something you enjoying doing in life & you wont have to get on here lying behind your keyboard. live.laugh.love. peace out aka sheila.
no that dont snarl

Martin, TN

#19 Jan 23, 2011
lol wrote:
<quoted text> sheila or whatever your real name is. looks like we got another topix idiot. no that dont snarl, where do you people come up with this stuff. maybe you should find something you enjoying doing in life & you wont have to get on here lying behind your keyboard. live.laugh.love. peace out aka sheila.
What does that mean? Did you even get to OCCHS?
creepers

Newbern, TN

#20 Jan 23, 2011
Shelia wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't want my 5 year old around creeps like you that start shit on trash topix. But hey, people like you is why I get on here, just to see who the next victim is going to be. I have seen most of their pictures, looks like they are making it in the mixed martial arts world. So Mr/Mrs Sheila, what do you do exactly? It'll be okay, really! Maybe you will make something out of your lonely life too & you won't feel the need to trash others!
lol

United States

#21 Jan 23, 2011
no that dont snarl wrote:
<quoted text>What does that mean? Did you even get to OCCHS?
of all the crazy stuff said on this forum you pick at this. lets see, troublesome aka sheia said they snarl in their pictures. and i said no they dont snarl, which means they dont snarl in pictures. do you understand now. and i go to union city if its anything to you. real losers on here constantly starting stuff. sorry you people were picked on in school. guess this is your way of getting back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heather Massen (Jul '11) 22 min Twidle 74
leann rebbel setting people up 34 min Do YOUR Time 4 ur... 20
Samantha elrod tyson dsi 1st shift 1 hr samantha 11
Valley Grove Baptist Church calls new Senior Pa... (Oct '08) 4 hr Lbheck 10
Lake Co Falcon fan 9 hr slacker 25
Why do white girls want black men (Sep '12) 11 hr JayDubb 687
where is tammy aguilar? 14 hr silver 1
UC Coach Fired? 14 hr silly grassy fender 9
Union City Dating
Find my Match