Anyone hear about Goodyear Layoffs Yet

Posted in the Union City Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
MATT Todd

Calvert City, KY

#1 Jan 15, 2008
Rumours in the plant say that layoffs are comming very soon. Is there any truth to this?
moley

United States

#2 Oct 15, 2008
rumors in buffalo that 70-300 layoffs coming.
information smart one

Moline, IL

#4 Oct 15, 2008
Yes Goodyear is going to have layoffs soon they have done the same thing every year for the past 6 plus years. Hire hire hire to get numbers out. Slow season comes lay offs out the ass. Then when contracts come around which come again soon. Hire hire hire again...Just ask any longtime employee there if your a newbie your a gonie!!!
left of center

Buffalo, NY

#5 Oct 29, 2008
As for now...the Dunlop plant in Buffalo is looking at 150 to be laid off, unless older more senior personnel take retirement and or buyout plans that have been offered.
ftdodger

AOL

#6 Oct 30, 2008
im sure your union loved Obama will take care of it for you. why worry about work? just wait around for your free gov't checks!
why am i in union

AOL

#7 Nov 3, 2008
after obama wins, and gives the reparations to the blacks..only the whites will have to work
connbread

United States

#10 Nov 4, 2008
goodyear will shut down for good one of these days
rapselljr

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Nov 7, 2008
Im in a non union plant in lawton, ok. does anyone know if the union plants have taken out additional shutdown days in the months of nov. and dec? and if so are they paid?

Since: Nov 08

United States

#12 Nov 10, 2008
I dont work for Goodyear. But a good friend of does. He told me yesterday that this plant would be lucky to work 4 of the last 8 weeks of this year. And he just had 17 days straight off of work. But he drew unemployment.
tip

Mount Clemens, MI

#13 Nov 12, 2008
connbread wrote:
goodyear will shut down for good one of these days
Just like they did in Mayfield Ky, sure messed up that town & the lives of many good people.
SSRES

Gardendale, AL

#14 Jan 7, 2009
I work at the Gadsden plant and we generally work 42 hrs a week. We are now working only 40 and the 2 hrs on 4 crews a week has kept us from taking a week a month off for December and January.
tiresareflat

Manhattan, KS

#16 Jan 14, 2009
Topeka is surplusing workers to the back shifts, from first shift. How many are going out the door is unknown at this date, but we will know soon.
Moe

Kingston, Canada

#17 Jan 16, 2009
I was just recently offered a job at Goodyear, just wondering why they would be hiring if their is threats to layoff. I am leaving a full-time job for this position what are people thoughts on this.
Hopeful

United States

#18 Jan 16, 2009
Goodyear is always up and down. They are dependent upon the economy and all goodyear plants actually compete against each other. THe best way to get an idea about goodyear is to talk to any worker that has been there 20 years. There will be periods during contract negotiations when there are strikes, times when there are mandatory shutdowns to safe money on payroll, etc. It is a good job and if you on spend about 75 % of your income and save the rest for those trouble times you will be fine. If however you choose to spend all of your income and then some you will be in trouble during those hard times. I was a supervisor at Goodyear for several years. I know what I am talking about. I had people working for me that "had" to work overtime to pay their bills. You can't buy a new truck, new house, new boat, new motorcycle, and anything else you see and survive the bad times. Goodyear has been there for several years as compared with other industries. They could chose to close the doors but for right now they look pretty solid.
Hopeful

United States

#20 Jan 17, 2009
There is a forum topic on the hickman site dealing with "actual change". Anyone from Fulton read it?
tech

Herndon, VA

#21 Jan 28, 2009
why am i in union wrote:
after obama wins, and gives the reparations to the blacks..only the whites will have to work
your just a stupid racist. this world is screwed up already by whites, give the man a chance ,the we, the world don't need people like you anymore, please die!
Union Citian

Arlington, TN

#22 Feb 10, 2009
The people who live in Obion County and don't work at Goodyear are all hoping they WILL close their doors and go away. They have done nothing but hurt Obion County and Union City ever since they set foot here. Prices are higher and unless you are one of the few who have "Goodyear insurance", forget about seeing a doctor or buying medicine. We who don't work there are having to work two jobs just to pay our bills! The sooner they leave, the happier I will be!!!!
nervous

Dyersburg, TN

#24 Feb 11, 2009
Supposed to be a big announcement Feb 18, any thoughts on what that could be?
nervous

Dyersburg, TN

#25 Feb 11, 2009
Union Citian wrote:
The sooner they leave, the happier I will be!!!!
Be careful what you wish for. Do you have any idea the imapct that would have on Obion County? Union City would dry up and blow away without Goodyear and its employees.
paper pusher

AOL

#26 Feb 11, 2009
Monday it will be announced that 400 will be laid off

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mexicans in union city (Mar '11) 2 hr Lulz 96
Hwy 22 6 hr snowtruck 10
Tdot 7 hr Guest 2
A New way to go 7 hr voice of reason 2
News Hodges claims Miss Tennessee Soybean Festival t... 9 hr jehovah cordell 6
Prettiest girl in Union City 9 hr pop a top 2
Please don't give up on me 18 hr Troychic 24

Union City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance