Tyler, TX

#22 Jun 11, 2012
Ok I want to know this .....I know many churches do funraisers for mission trips and fl. And all that but if you have to the money to buy north face jackets and brand new cars for 15/ 16 kids and all kinds of crazy prices for clothes. Shouldn't you be able to afford the trips and bring food to the people that need it most and there are people who don't have clothes ....
lmp

Union City, TN

#23 Jun 11, 2012
dkb wrote:
It's called freedom of speech and the Church will do as the Bible teaches not as Topix or anyone else dictates.And it is not a bad image....it is the truth and one day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Calvary loves gays, lesbians, drug addicts, drunks, back sliders, hipocrites and the like. It is the most diverse church in UC. Stop by we will love you too. We dont condemn, we tell the truth and we love the sinner not the sin.
Amen!!!!!!!!!! Calvary loves all people and if you ever attended there you would see that.
jmd

Medon, TN

#24 Jun 11, 2012
calvery is a joke. the youth instructors will be nice to your face and then when you're outta eye sight and ear shot they are the first to talk bad about the way you dress, speak, have your hair, ect. if you are openly gay, they have that weak smile to you but once you turn away they wrinkle their noses. calvery is a joke. and i agree with "question". since the church is campaigning they should now pay taxes. REMOVE THEIR TAX EXEMPT!!!!! calvery doesn't fund trips. the youth trips are funded by the youth. calvery loves bible thumpers and straight people and those who follow, not lead. calvery doesn't love those who question faith, who quiestion sexuality, and those who lead. CALVERY IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!

Union City, TN

#25 Jun 11, 2012
Bro. Melvin Poe is one of the only preachers I know of left in this community who is not afraid to stand up for what is right. Too many ministers have let big building and big offerings get in the way of taking a stand for what is right. Bro. Poe would rather preach the TRUTH every week to a smaller congregation than to share some feel good story with a large church any day. Keep up the good work Bro. Poe!
oh please

United States

#26 Jun 11, 2012
Guest wrote:
Ok I want to know this .....I know many churches do funraisers for mission trips and fl. And all that but if you have to the money to buy north face jackets and brand new cars for 15/ 16 kids and all kinds of crazy prices for clothes. Shouldn't you be able to afford the trips and bring food to the people that need it most and there are people who don't have clothes ....
Really? This is your complaint? How many other youth groups have fundraisers around here.Cheerleaders,band,sports teams,scouts.It takes alot of money to fund all of these groups if you are planning a big trip.whats the difference if its a church or one of the other groups above.grow up
come on

Union City, TN

#27 Jun 11, 2012
Bro Poe and his staff do an excellant job. If you can't handle the truth then you need to go somewhere else. The truth is what is preached at Calvary. Calvary is a good church with good people. Bro mel is a very compassionate man who cares for all people. Keep up the good work Calvary!
Nobama 2012

Cookeville, TN

#28 Jun 11, 2012
I think that it is so horrible and hypocritical how so many homosexuals and their supporters say they want "equality and tolerance..."
While in times like these, they prove to be "biased, hateful, and intolerant" towards anyone who opposes them.
This is a case of a church using their American, blood bought rights to express their faith...and it's called "hate"
Yet a group of homosexuals can attack a church and it's called "rights"

Humboldt, TN

#29 Jun 11, 2012
Im not a homo but that church is just wrong.Why would anyone want to be a member of a hate church? The pastor must really be a laugh.
Think about it

Monterey, TN

#30 Jun 11, 2012
So Calvary is doing the Lords work. Again, an opinion, one which is not shared by thousands of other Christians. You are all so caught up in being 'right' that you wouldn't changes your opinion if Jesus himself dreamed it from the roof of your church.
UNBELIEVABLE

Union City, TN

#31 Jun 11, 2012
THE SAME PEOPLE THAT STAND FOR GAY RIGHTS WILL STOMP ALL OVER THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS, IF YOU REALLY WANT A FREE SOCIETY YOU HAVE TO ALLOW EVERYONE THE RIGHT TO SAY, FEEL AND BELIEVE WHAT THEY WANT. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE BUT YOU HAVE TO BE TOLERANT. THOSE THAT THINK THE PREACHER SHOULD BE RAN OUT ON A RAIL SHOULD EXPECT THE SAME FOR ANY OF THIER BELIEFS.
Hate----Republic an

Martin, TN

#32 Jun 11, 2012
Nobama 2012 wrote:
I think that it is so horrible and hypocritical how so many homosexuals and their supporters say they want "equality and tolerance..."
While in times like these, they prove to be "biased, hateful, and intolerant" towards anyone who opposes them.
This is a case of a church using their American, blood bought rights to express their faith...and it's called "hate"
Yet a group of homosexuals can attack a church and it's called "rights"
I am not a homosexual or a homosexual supporter but I find your post very biased, hateful and intolerant. All you're doing is supporting your "political" views and nothing more.
Nobama 2012

Cookeville, TN

#33 Jun 11, 2012
What is political besides my login name?
My post is about logical hypocrisy, not politics
election year

Martin, TN

#34 Jun 11, 2012
Nobama 2012 wrote:
What is political besides my login name?
My post is about logical hypocrisy, not politics
So you even admit your post is about "logical hypocrisy", WHATEVER THAT MEANS..... and yes, when your login name is "Nobama 2012", you are being political.

Princeton, KY

#35 Jun 11, 2012
Matthew 5:32 "But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

People who divorce and remarry have already changed God's plan for marriage.

There are a lot of people who are divorced and remarried and this needs to be addressed as the sin this is as well.

Remarriage after divorce appears to be wrong based on biblical principles. Divorce was once frowned on by society, but now is widely accepted. Hollywood made it popular.

There used to be ministers that would not marry two people, if one had been divorced.

Look at the divorce rate. People really do not believe in marriage anymore.

People who get married in a church and make vows before God and then divorce and remarry again and make the vows again.
Free Your Mind

Martin, TN

#36 Jun 11, 2012
And when the Broken Hearted People living in this world agree...There will be an Answer
(Let it be)
For though they may be parted
There is still a chance that they will see...There will be an answer
(Let it be)
censorship is for nazis

United States

#37 Jun 11, 2012
UNBELIEVABLE wrote:
THE SAME PEOPLE THAT STAND FOR GAY RIGHTS WILL STOMP ALL OVER THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS, IF YOU REALLY WANT A FREE SOCIETY YOU HAVE TO ALLOW EVERYONE THE RIGHT TO SAY, FEEL AND BELIEVE WHAT THEY WANT. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE BUT YOU HAVE TO BE TOLERANT. THOSE THAT THINK THE PREACHER SHOULD BE RAN OUT ON A RAIL SHOULD EXPECT THE SAME FOR ANY OF THIER BELIEFS.
Bang! You hit the nail right on the head with that one...notice how willing these so called 'tolerant' people are to take away someone's right to free speech when it doesn't line up with their own ideas.

Nazis.
protest

Hickman, KY

#38 Jun 12, 2012
Sometimes there has to be limits to the "right to free speech", because some people abuse this right in order to tear down communities and individuals.

Censorship is for nazis, are your a member of Calvary or Westboro?
sst

Union City, TN

#39 Jun 12, 2012
Isaiah 40: 28-31
Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Dear Heavenly Father, Please be with Bro Poe through all of this. May God blessings fall on him always and he continue to speak the truth in love. Amen
censorship is for nazis

United States

#40 Jun 12, 2012
protest wrote:
Sometimes there has to be limits to the "right to free speech", because some people abuse this right in order to tear down communities and individuals.

Censorship is for nazis, are your a member of Calvary or Westboro?
I don't attend any church at all, period. And I fully support gay marriage, too. But I also support the right of people to be opposed to it and speak out.

Limits, huh? And people like you decide what those limits are? No thank you. Maybe I have some opinions that people don't like. Maybe my rights would be the next to be trampled in your version of Amerika...
protest

Hickman, KY

#41 Jun 12, 2012
Does the First Amendment mean anyone can say anything at any time? No.

The Supreme Court has rejected an interpretation of speech without limits.

Because the First Amendment has such strong language, we begin with the presumption that speech is protected. Over the years, the courts have decided that a few other public interests — for example, national security, justice or personal safety — override freedom of speech. There are no simple rules for determining when speech should be limited, but there are some general tests that help.

Clear and Present Danger:

Will this act of speech create a dangerous situation? The First Amendment does not protect statements that are uttered to provoke violence or incite illegal action.

Fighting Words:

Was something said face-to-face that would incite immediate violence?

In Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, the Supreme Court stated that the “English language has a number of words and expressions which by general consent [are]‘fighting words’ when said without a disarming smile.… Such words, as ordinary men know, are likely to cause a fight.”

Libel and Slander:

Was the statement false, or put in a context that makes true statements misleading? You do not have a constitutional right to tell lies that damage or defame the reputation of a person or organization.

Obscenity:

In June 1973 in Miller v. California, the Supreme Court held in a 5-to-4 decision that obscene materials do not enjoy First Amendment protection.

In Miller v. California (1973), the court refined the definition of “obscenity” established in Roth v. United States (1957). It also rejected the “utterly without redeeming social value” test of Memoirs v. Massachusetts.

Conflict with Other Legitimate Social or Governmental Interests:

Does the speech conflict with other compelling interests? For example, in times of war, there may be reasons to restrict First Amendment rights because of conflicts with national security.

To ensure a fair trial without disclosure of prejudicial information before or during a trial, a judge may place a “gag” order on participants in the trial, including attorneys

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robert Hopper FC sheriff son. 19 min Jewels 33
your wifey 3 hr curious 7
Terry petty 3 hr tanker 37
Andrew Oliver 5 hr guest 21
ucpd 6 hr dog reporter 9
Lake Road School 7 hr Reality 2
Whitney H 10 hr well 13

Freeze Watch for Obion County was issued at March 26 at 2:25PM CDT

Union City Dating
Find my Match