14-year-old Union City shooting victi...

14-year-old Union City shooting victim is identified by police

There are 76 comments on the San Jose Mercury News story from Dec 23, 2007, titled 14-year-old Union City shooting victim is identified by police. In it, San Jose Mercury News reports that:

Union City police Saturday identified a 14-year-old boy fatally shot the day before as Vernon Matthew Eddins. via San Jose Mercury News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Jose Mercury News.

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

#45 Apr 6, 2008
a shame wrote:
yea i dont normally like to brag about my accomplishements, sorry if it came accross that way to anybody. it just gets me so mad when i see people that are proud of being gangsters. its so ignorant. dont you realize that rich white people WANT black and brown people to kill each other? so not only are we doing what they want, but we think its cool at the same time. its so frustrating. i only hope more people will see that theres other ways to live. with the grants they offer in california, ANYBODY can afford college. Im paying for my tuition with grants (which you dont have to pay back) and a part time job and no financial assistance from my family. and i wont owe a dime when i graduate. i cant say it enough, ANYBODY can afford to go to college in cali.
and your right, i do have a blessed grandmother :)
There isn't any shame in who you are, or your bragging. If it fits ..wear it well.

Once again, you need to use that voice of yours to help others.

Be a life line, for you have compassion to come above.

Nice program out there. And you are right, Cali offers a whole lot and is only right for all that can to take advantage of it.

Would make for a better quality of life.

Just remember ..it only takes one voice to change many lives.

Good to know, you have a dream....

Take care, and stay safe.
Until then....
DECOTO GANGSTA

Alameda, CA

#47 Jun 1, 2008
LDG BOIIII
Brown Pride

San Mateo, CA

#48 Jun 26, 2008
U want 2 start a new gang? Decoto will be all over that B4 they even come up. Raza isnt going down,especialy to the blacks.
ChrisHansen

San Francisco, CA

#49 Jun 26, 2008
The Realest wrote:
This is how gangs are started. The Mexican kids from Decoto are from a Norte gang and the black kids are just Students and for some reason the two often clash. But instead of fist fighting and the Possibility of losing the Mexican Kids resort to weapons instead of fighting one on one. The Black Kids need to start a Gang and get back at em! Bottom line. The Police aint gonna do nothing!!
you failz at the innerwebz
Watcher and Speaker

San Francisco, CA

#50 Jun 29, 2008
Vernon's mother contacted the officials before the day of his death about tensions in the community. They ignored her. Teachers told the police about rumors of a student brawl hours before Vernon died. Police did a short surveillance of Bernard and left. Vernon was shot soon after.

Biniam's mother asked James Logan for a symposium on youth violence after her son died. They denied her.

Biniam was shot at a district principal's house who said she had no idea that her child was throwing a party. However, neighbors had been notified of the party beforehand. And the party-throwers had significant money for a DJ and alcoholic drinks. The woman is still a principal of an elementary school. She can't take care of her own children but are in charge of others? But, also, stop lying.

Many decoto kids, alvarado kids, black, brown kids talk about police harassment. Police flipping them off just to taunt them. Dogs used to chase them. Police telling them to drop their pants in public to find drugs. Never mind the number of deaths at the hands of police. Police just arresting kids on false charges. Police falsifying charges.

After Junior died in November, the police are still harassing his distraught mother and doing searches to find out about "gang affiliation," despite the fact that he is DEAD-shot and killed. The mother, barely able to speak through her tears, reported this terror during a youth violence committee meeting.

There has been an increase in police raids (with or without warrants), an increase in I.C.E raids to find undocumented families wherever they may be; breaking up families and forcing them into deportation centers.

WHAT ARE WE DOING TO OUR CHILDREN?
Watcher and Speaker

San Francisco, CA

#51 Jun 29, 2008
here's the deal. another kid from decoto died this week. i went to the memorial for biniam last week. i went to the funeral for vernon in december. and, i am so very sad.

what have we done to our kids where they so willingly die? when they're down to shoot each other for "respect," that also means we-as a society and adults-haven't been giving them enough. what did we teach them? what did we not teach them?

i'm sick of the school district that houses thousands of kids do nothing about our children thinking that "what happened, happened." we have given them horrible ideas about what living and life means. when they think that for others, that means they think that for themselves.

we are damaging our children so much that they easily die. we are doing it. not just the kids and their guns. we took away hope or failed to give them any. how is james logan, a rich school that is spending 25 million on an entertainment facility, failing to keep their children alive? or a city, union city, that just spent money on plaques for 9/11 victims, allowing for more victims of their own residents? students? where are the priorities?

i'm tired of this. i'm sick of seeing sad faces on parents, friends, kids. have you seen these kids and their myspace profiles? they don't care about living? they care about looking hard-and the truth is, we created that world where they have to harden so young until they are so old and damaged or just dead.

and, i haven't even addressed the role of the police state in the community. how many police brutality cases do i have to hear about from decoto kids, from alvarado kids before the community realizes that our kids are being terrorized. families are being harassed at exponential, crazy rates without any help. that's enough to make anyone go crazy.

the schools don't pay attention to your livelihood. police are scaring the hell out of you. the kid who died this week, had ucpd dogs sicced on him, had a bullet would in his arm from a year before but was too afraid to get it removed because police would be called in only to harass him more. how many kids of color do i know about that have had police arrest them when they were actually soliciting support (trying to get a flat tire fixed, just got carjacked and needed help).

how does that not drive our children crazy? they have no where to turn but to the gun and each other? and the gun whether they're holding it to others heads or their own-means they are willing to die. WE, as a society who support or are complacent with a foul, rich, discriminatory school district, community board, POLICE, are the ones responsible for these kids.
Watcher and Speaker

San Francisco, CA

#52 Jun 29, 2008
We've got to change because I'm not interested in any of our kids, community members saying, "what happened happened." S/he can't be next to die or kill someone. Neither can it be LGD BOIIII.

We have to hold the school district responsible; they are in charge of our children for 181 days for 11 years. What does that mean? That they need to create something that keeps our kids alive not just spend 25 million on an entertainment complex like they are doing.

Teachers are getting fired left and right while the city board just hired 2 additional police officers at $80,000 a year (without counting benefits). More police? Who harass and terrorize our children? Meanwhile, a kid still can't write a decent blog and thinks Vernon is from Africa? Really? And, they're willing to kill or be killed at school? You think police will stop that? They'll facilitate death before they save anybody.

I'm tired of not being able to answer Biniam's mother about what there can be done to bring back her son. I'm tired of telling her gruesome stories of police brutality-about police flipping children off. I'm tired of her telling me stories about how her kids were ushered off Logan's campus an hour after Vernon's fatal shooting with words like, "I don't care where you go, we're shutting down the campus, get out of here."

I'm done with these stories and I'm done mourning over kids. I"m done being sad because someone called to tell me that Richard died last night. I'm done, I'm sad and I'm searching desperately for change and kids who will be alive for much longer...

Richard just graduated high school. Vernon just started high school. Biniam just graduated high school. Decoto Gangster from San Ramon, Oakland, the actual LGD could do more, be more. Junior had friends and family. Mike had a girlfriend, exes, people that cared about him. Aaron has people who still have his picture on their myspace accounts.

They're real kids and we are killing them.
Watcher and Speaker

San Francisco, CA

#53 Jun 29, 2008
Scratch that...They are killing them. These institutions as products of a racist, classist patriarchal society killed them and will keep doing so unless something, we change it.
Rayboy

United States

#54 Jun 30, 2008
Hey !!!!! I recently retired after teaching elementary school (grades 1 & 2 ) for THIRTY YEARS in Union City. The schools are doing their part ! In fact, school was the only safe, nurturing, and stable environment alot of these kids had.
I worked many days from 7:00 am - 7:00 pm. There were many families I was willing to expend 99% for, but never received 1% in return.
- I would make appointments to meet with families at 6:30 pm at their request and convenience and would have no shows.
-I kept a supply of fruit and healthy snacks to supplement the Cheetos, cookies, and soft drinks, some families considered as 'lunch'.
-I would see kids out running around after 10:00 pm.
-I saw some families giggle when their kids opened candy at Luckys and ate it.
-On the other hand, I made reading fun, math challenging, writing rewarding, and had students who became doctors, executives, technicians, and responsible parents.
-I had families with next to nothing work with me to ensure homework was done, attendance was regular, and breakfast was provided.
At my school, we valued children, shared ideas, and bought materials and supplies with our own money.
It takes the involvement of kids families to ensure success...fortunately this was accomplished with the majority of my students. I feel blessed to have been involved with the lives of over 800 wonderful children...some of whom were the sons daughters of former students. It takes a partnership. There is alot than be accomplished if we can hitch up our pants, make an EFFORT to LEARN how to write that paragraph, practice responsibility, and quit using the victim card as an excuse.
Union City

Pleasanton, CA

#55 Jun 30, 2008
The Realest wrote:
This is how gangs are started. The Mexican kids from Decoto are from a Norte gang and the black kids are just Students and for some reason the two often clash. But instead of fist fighting and the Possibility of losing the Mexican Kids resort to weapons instead of fighting one on one. The Black Kids need to start a Gang and get back at em! Bottom line. The Police aint gonna do nothing!!
Wow this kid is really ignorant. I feel sick to my stomach reading everything he has wrote.
This is a tragedy that such a young boy was killed at my little sisters school. These little wannabe gangster need grow up, stop using violence and start using their brain. I lost my friend Biniam the same way last year so this incident hit me really hard. My heart goes out to his family!!!
maria

Union City, CA

#56 Jul 7, 2008
funk decotos they some b!tches and they moms yall aint did shit by killing a little azz boy yall all culd suck me dry im mexican myself n i say yall make us luk like some B!tchs well yall the b!tches where im from we dont funk wit dat blacks and mexicans are together against the whites
aztec queen

San Jose, CA

#58 Sep 11, 2008
Pissed Off wrote:
Kids killing kids. I live near Decoto and this crap is becoming all to familiar. Biniam Yifru was a friend of mine and he was killed by one of these punk gang bangers. Sorry your mom is a crackhead, sorry your dad is in quentin. Why don't you break the generational curse and do something with your life and become a productive member of society. Anyone can carry a gun, I've got many. Takes a man/woman to be productive. Step up and be someone.
Sorry, that there isn't a prophet prevailing from the crack addict mom or the dad that is San Quention. Yeah, there was a gun and someone was shot, but what the fuck were the parents of the vics and suspects thinking when they permitted and allowed these kids to attend a HOUSE PARTY WHERE LIQUOR, BEER AND DRUGS WERE BEING OFFERED AND DISTRIBUTED!
maria is an illegal

United States

#59 Sep 12, 2008
maria wrote:
funk decotos they some b!tches and they moms yall aint did shit by killing a little azz boy yall all culd suck me dry im mexican myself n i say yall make us luk like some B!tchs well yall the b!tches where im from we dont funk wit dat blacks and mexicans are together against the whites
You are some ghetto bitch.
A peRSOn

Menlo Park, CA

#60 Sep 13, 2008
i WAS at the school at the time this happened.Apperently my family member watched as he/she walked the hallway ,seeing his/her FRIENd get shot.My favorite teacher holding vernon as he passed.Holding him in her arms when someone was doing CPR.us students wernt let out till later that night . cops questioning . I never thought something like that would happen at a WONDERFUL school . THought pass threw my HEAD as the teacher was crying the hole day we got back.Only if that never happened . ITS A SHAME...
ayo

United States

#63 Nov 19, 2008
The Realest wrote:
UCLOCAL what you are saying makes sense but you have to realize that certain tactics only work with civilized individuals. If everything was resolved with discussion then there would probably be no wars in this world. Sometimes wars happen not only between countries but between rival neighborhoods. Once they take one of the homies from you the voice of reason and logic go out of the window.
the realest aint real everythin happended becuz blacks come to union city actin like they run shit n then they get surprised becuz they under-estimated us ya feel me
ayo

United States

#64 Nov 19, 2008
maria wrote:
<h1>wannabe ass coon!!!!!!!!!! funk ya dead gramma grampa auntie er watever u punk bitch
RIP VERNON BABY

Union City, CA

#68 Jan 22, 2009
ON MY MAMA.....F**K DECOTO!!!!!!!!
VIVA LA RAZA

Union City, CA

#69 Jan 25, 2009
The Realest wrote:
YOU IGNORANT CRACKHEAD. DECOTO IS OUR HISPANIC NEIGHBORHOOD. THESE PUNKS FRUM OAKLAND AND EPA THINK THEY CAN COME AND START BEEF TRY AND TAKE OVER STRAIGHT TRIPPIN. YOU DONT DISRESPECT DECOTO LIKE THAT.
UC resident

San Jose, CA

#70 Jan 26, 2009
The Realest wrote:
The "black kids" aren't as innocent as you may think. The "black kids" come over usually from Oakland to Union City on BART to go to Logan. Ever since they have been coming over there has been alot more violence. BTW not all of them come over just to study they come to start trouble. I will not talk bad about the dead however, there is one little detail worth mentioning about the vernon shooting. He was cutting class when he should have been at an assembly and he wasn't exactly cutting and going home to study.
RIP BTMY

Union City, CA

#72 Feb 20, 2009
Why continue to argue with each other.. Can't you see that this is turning you all into discriminatory people? You're not supposed to turn against each other because of race.. have we not learned from the past? Hitler discriminated and hurt the Jewish people because of WHO THEY WERE. You cannot CHANGE your race, you are what you are. It is only up to YOU to be a good member of society and contribute to helping your peers and the youth grow up and be the best that they can be. Let's not let these heartbreaking incidents diminish our wellbeing. Maturity, and change.. that's what will cause us to succeed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man fatally shot in San Leandro driveway identi... (Jul '10) Fri murder dosh 15
News Abortion is the Biggest Single Negative Force o... Jun 14 J Worthington Sno... 3
What are the names of the different gangs in Ha... (Jun '10) Jun 9 Name 237
News Internet Prostitution Sting Nets 13 In East Bay (Jul '06) Jun 9 Emily 84
News Save Mart buys Albertson's stores (Nov '06) Jun 8 Walmart 196
Why are people so racist? Feb '16 meoooo 1
It Berns Like 60 Grit Sanders Jan '16 Curious J 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Union City Mortgages