14-year-old Union City shooting victim is identified by police

There are 76 comments on the San Jose Mercury News story from Dec 23, 2007, titled 14-year-old Union City shooting victim is identified by police. In it, San Jose Mercury News reports that:

Union City police Saturday identified a 14-year-old boy fatally shot the day before as Vernon Matthew Eddins. via San Jose Mercury News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Jose Mercury News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Pissed Off

Oakland, CA

#1 Dec 23, 2007
Kids killing kids. I live near Decoto and this crap is becoming all to familiar. Biniam Yifru was a friend of mine and he was killed by one of these punk gang bangers. Sorry your mom is a crackhead, sorry your dad is in quentin. Why don't you break the generational curse and do something with your life and become a productive member of society. Anyone can carry a gun, I've got many. Takes a man/woman to be productive. Step up and be someone.
truthist

Houston, TX

#2 Dec 23, 2007
How do they do that when they know nobody loves them?
parent of a Logan student

AOL

#4 Dec 24, 2007
My heart goes out to his family. May GOD give them the streanth to carry on and may they have comfort in knowing Vernon is now in Heaven seated next to God.
white

Belmont, CA

#5 Dec 24, 2007
DECOTO GANGSTER wrote:
LOL SHUT THE FUNK UP
you sound like a fiery little lady.change your tampon girly girl.
joyce palmore adams

Mccurtain, OK

#6 Dec 26, 2007
DECOTO GANGSTER wrote:
LOL SHUT THE FUNK UP
go back to your garbage dump
Parent and Resident of UC

Alameda, CA

#7 Dec 30, 2007
The saddest part of all of this is a child had to lose his life. I truly hope that this a wake up call to all parents (black, white, yellow and other wise) Our children are our future and what kind of future can we look forward to with all of this happening. I do hope that all of the African American parents of Union City pull to gether and try to make a change. This did not just start happening it has been going on. Please e-mail and let's see if we can start to make a change together. ripewithyou@aol.com
And to the parents of Veron may God's peace be upon on you and the tears of pain stream where the river flows. My family and I are holding you all up in prayer.
The Realest

Modesto, CA

#8 Jan 3, 2008
This is how gangs are started. The Mexican kids from Decoto are from a Norte gang and the black kids are just Students and for some reason the two often clash. But instead of fist fighting and the Possibility of losing the Mexican Kids resort to weapons instead of fighting one on one. The Black Kids need to start a Gang and get back at em! Bottom line. The Police aint gonna do nothing!!
uclocal

Orinda, CA

#9 Jan 6, 2008
The Realest wrote:
This is how gangs are started. The Mexican kids from Decoto are from a Norte gang and the black kids are just Students and for some reason the two often clash. But instead of fist fighting and the Possibility of losing the Mexican Kids resort to weapons instead of fighting one on one. The Black Kids need to start a Gang and get back at em! Bottom line. The Police aint gonna do nothing!!
Don't listen to Realest. Telling black kids to start a gang and get back at em is bad advice. We don't need more violence in our community with more gangs. Let the police handle the gangs. It's their job to protect our community.
uclocal

Orinda, CA

#10 Jan 6, 2008
Pissed Off wrote:
Kids killing kids. I live near Decoto and this crap is becoming all to familiar. Biniam Yifru was a friend of mine and he was killed by one of these punk gang bangers. Sorry your mom is a crackhead, sorry your dad is in quentin. Why don't you break the generational curse and do something with your life and become a productive member of society. Anyone can carry a gun, I've got many. Takes a man/woman to be productive. Step up and be someone.
So one gun is not enough for you. You need to have many guns. It sounds like you're ready for war but against whom? The punk gang bangers? I thought you were a productive member of society.
The Realest

Modesto, CA

#11 Jan 6, 2008
Ay homie. The Police aint gonna do shit!!!!! trust me! you know and I know! This has been going on at Logan and the Decoto district for a long time. All i am saying is that is how gangs are started. You got a group or gang constantly messsing with you, The authorities dont or cant stop it so you gotta stand tall and handle it yourself. Thats all im saying. I believe in an eye for eye!!
The Realest

Modesto, CA

#12 Jan 6, 2008
And i dont mean it as a black Mexican thing either. It could have easily have been a group blacks that identified as a gang that killed the blacks kids that dont bang. Either way the cops aint gonna do a damn thang so you gotta stand tall and handle ur bizness. Yeah i know its sad, it aint right but its life! if you dont retaliate the opposition feels like they can do what ever they want!
The Realest

Modesto, CA

#13 Jan 6, 2008
and that right there my brother is how communities/neighborhoods become gang affiliated
uclocal

Orinda, CA

#14 Jan 8, 2008
The Realest wrote:
And i dont mean it as a black Mexican thing either. It could have easily have been a group blacks that identified as a gang that killed the blacks kids that dont bang. Either way the cops aint gonna do a damn thang so you gotta stand tall and handle ur bizness. Yeah i know its sad, it aint right but its life! if you dont retaliate the opposition feels like they can do what ever they want!
Those who live by the gun die by the gun.
uclocal

Orinda, CA

#15 Jan 8, 2008
The Realest wrote:
Ay homie. The Police aint gonna do shit!!!!! trust me! you know and I know! This has been going on at Logan and the Decoto district for a long time. All i am saying is that is how gangs are started. You got a group or gang constantly messsing with you, The authorities dont or cant stop it so you gotta stand tall and handle it yourself. Thats all im saying. I believe in an eye for eye!!
Anyone who retaliates and survives will end up in prison for murder. Prison is not where you want to be. Hey you got a lot of living to do, but you don't want it to be in prison. If you're smart you don't do the eye for an eye. If you got a group or gang constantly messing with you then you need to find out what the problem is - why they are messing with you in order to solve the problem. Here is some good advice: Be the first one to reach out to make peace. Show respect to the group or gang and you will earn their respect in return. Show kindness, not violence. That's what I would do.
manisha

Oakland, CA

#16 Jan 8, 2008
I Feel really dispointed and sad because the one boy that died was my friend name Veron. All i noe is that he cut his 7h period class and went to b.w.m.s....i dont know what really happened! though i wish the family sorry and veron's soul rest in peace...and the family to be peaceful!!
friend

Oakland, CA

#17 Jan 8, 2008
I Feel really dispointed and sad because the one boy that died was my friend name Veron. All i noe is that he cut his 7h period class and went to b.w.m.s....i dont know what really happened! though i wish the family sorry and veron's soul rest in peace...and the family to be peaceful!! it wasn' even his fault he died at such a young age...im really gonna miss him, his presence, and his touch....whoever shot him will get their punishment and will die the same way veron did n maybe badly. I will pray for him.....for his soul to rest in peace....!!!
smart one

Union City, CA

#18 Jan 10, 2008
his name was VERNON!!!! get it right
r.i.p.
The Realest

Modesto, CA

#19 Jan 10, 2008
UCLOCAL what you are saying makes sense but you have to realize that certain tactics only work with civilized individuals. If everything was resolved with discussion then there would probably be no wars in this world. Sometimes wars happen not only between countries but between rival neighborhoods. Once they take one of the homies from you the voice of reason and logic go out of the window.
The Realest

Modesto, CA

#20 Jan 10, 2008
sometimes there is a price to pay with gaining your respect. Whether it be Prison, getting shot getting stabbed or even getting killed or taking another life. Sometimes the voice of logic, nor law enforcement can stop it. These lil beefs have been going on for over a decade in Union City and pretty soon somebody gonna have to start they own neighborhood and be willing to stand up to V.G.D.x4 bottom line. Its sad but true! Ill take death or prison any day if thats what it takes for my kids to be able to stand tall in there own neighborhood!!
ucit

Burlingame, CA

#21 Jan 11, 2008
i hate stupid decoto KIDS. The only time they do something is when they have a bunch of their friends with them or weapons or if they person they're punking is smaller than them. Trust me they're just a bunch of little punks trying to act hard to feel like they proved themselves. They do this type of stuff to gain "respect". Whatever. I learned that the ONLY way to get respect is to respect others... and its TRUE.. and if someone doesnt respect you then they're not worth your time. So just stay away from these immature little kids. dont even bother. Remember you have your family and friends who love you. so dont get into all of this nonsense. I pray for vernon's family and wish them all that i can. Vernon is with god now and he's watching over his family so MAKE HIM PROUD!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alameda County Judge Vernon Nakahara is a corru... 13 hr Sushi 2
Alameda County Judge Nakahara is an unethical, ... Sat Samuel 3
News Four charged in triple stabbing at San Leandro bar May 22 Mr. Blunt 1
News Two Men Stabbed in Weekend Bar Fight (May '11) May 22 kind1urnt 17
News Pittsburg: Police arrest six in connection to a... May 21 dickie 1
Judge Nakahara is not an Impartial judge. He i... May 21 Samuel 1
Alameda County Judge Nakahara is unethical and ... May 21 Samuel 1
More from around the web

Union City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE