bigred

AOL

#383 Jun 9, 2008
you should see what has been done to the old sandbar,she has made it just so beautiful.
stop lyin-

Woodbury, NJ

#384 Jun 9, 2008
bigred wrote:
all you old timers from union bch would be so proud to see what a beautiful town it is.thanks to carmen and richie the ex mayors.the beachfront is beautiful.never see any thing bad in papers about it.very safe town.nice restaurants..good police dept..
Looks like someone is trying to run for a Political office!!!
rayfromdover

Philadelphia, PA

#385 Jun 9, 2008
Hi bigred,
I haven't been back to Union Beach in many many years, but I have seen recent pictures of the Beach front and I am truly amazed with all the hard work and effort that has apparently been applied to the beautification of the area. I would have never recognized it if I didn't know I was looking at pictures of Union Beach. The leadership and people of UB deserve a job well done! I look forward to going "home" someday.
j priola

New York, NY

#386 Jun 9, 2008
live in ny but spend week ends in my home in union beach owned it for about 40 years and yes the beach is beautiful the whole town keeps jeting better
bigred

AOL

#387 Jun 10, 2008
stop lyin- wrote:
<quoted text>Looks like someone is trying to run for a Political office!!!
no one is saying this for political reasons,i do not even live in the town.just complimenting on how nice it has become.do we have to have a reason for that????????
stop lyin-

Woodbury, NJ

#388 Jun 10, 2008
bigred wrote:
<quoted text> no one is saying this for political reasons,i do not even live in the town.just complimenting on how nice it has become.do we have to have a reason for that????????
Well from what I read it sure does look like your running for office...Next I thought you would be telling us how great Obama is!!!!!!!!!
bigred

AOL

#389 Jun 11, 2008
rayfromdover wrote:
Hi bigred,
I haven't been back to Union Beach in many many years, but I have seen recent pictures of the Beach front and I am truly amazed with all the hard work and effort that has apparently been applied to the beautification of the area. I would have never recognized it if I didn't know I was looking at pictures of Union Beach. The leadership and people of UB deserve a job well done! I look forward to going "home" someday.
we went to jake a bobs restaurant last weekend,what a beautiful job she did with the deck and she put tables and a Tiki bar outside.you probably remember it as the boat house or the sandbar..
rayfromdover

Coatesville, PA

#390 Jun 11, 2008
bigred wrote:
<quoted text> we went to jake a bobs restaurant last weekend,what a beautiful job she did with the deck and she put tables and a Tiki bar outside.you probably remember it as the boat house or the sandbar..
Hi bigred,
Actually, I vaquely remember neither the Boathouse nor the Sandbar as I left Union Beach in 1969 to join the Air Force when I was 19. the drinking age in New Jersey at that time was 21. NJ lowered the legal drinking age to 18 in the early 1970s, but by that time I was overseas. Eventually, the legal age was returned to 21. We have a couple really neat photographs of the beachfront from the 1930s. One picture is an aero shot of front street and you can see the "original" boathouse sitting on a barge jetting out into the water. The other photo is an evening picture of the penny arcade.(We also have approximately 100 photos of UB / Keyport, past and present) Check out our group at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BayshoreTalk
Ted Cristobal

Sun City West, AZ

#391 Jun 11, 2008
bigred wrote:
<quoted text> we went to jake a bobs restaurant last weekend,what a beautiful job she did with the deck and she put tables and a Tiki bar outside.you probably remember it as the boat house or the sandbar..
I remember the boat house, it was accross the street from Ralphs store and the American Legion, When I left the beach in 1964 it was still there. When I came back in 1968 it was still there, but then I left again in 1970 I don't know what happend to it then. There used to be a gas station on the corner of Front St. and Union Ave. It was owend by a guy named Bobby, he used to live on Second St. Does anybody remember him?
rayfromdover

Coatesville, PA

#392 Jun 11, 2008
Ted Cristobal wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember the boat house, it was accross the street from Ralphs store and the American Legion, When I left the beach in 1964 it was still there. When I came back in 1968 it was still there, but then I left again in 1970 I don't know what happend to it then. There used to be a gas station on the corner of Front St. and Union Ave. It was owend by a guy named Bobby, he used to live on Second St. Does anybody remember him?
Hi Ted,
Did you check out the 1930s pictures I posted to our bayshoretalk website. Larry H loaned them to me. They are on our photo section under "Union Beach 1930s" As you know, pictures of your old house located on shore rd are also there. Didn't you use to work at the boathouse? The old "Gulf" gas station is long gone. According to toodles it is now some type of appliance repair shop. They also tore down the old green UB Water Tower and I understand that the IFF factory closed. They built a "new" cottage park school on the same site as the original school which burned down on February 2, 1964 (we also have a picture of the original school on bayshoretalk) the railroad tracks have been removed and they built a walking / bicycle path in its place. Many changes, when was the last time you were back in the beach?
Ted Cristobal

Sun City West, AZ

#393 Jun 11, 2008
rayfromdover wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Ted,
Did you check out the 1930s pictures I posted to our bayshoretalk website. Larry H loaned them to me. They are on our photo section under "Union Beach 1930s" As you know, pictures of your old house located on shore rd are also there. Didn't you use to work at the boathouse? The old "Gulf" gas station is long gone. According to toodles it is now some type of appliance repair shop. They also tore down the old green UB Water Tower and I understand that the IFF factory closed. They built a "new" cottage park school on the same site as the original school which burned down on February 2, 1964 (we also have a picture of the original school on bayshoretalk) the railroad tracks have been removed and they built a walking / bicycle path in its place. Many changes, when was the last time you were back in the beach?
Hi Ray, yes I did check out the photos from the Beach and they are great, and my hold house still looks the same as when my dad built it, is is also still the same color
rustyred

AOL

#394 Jun 12, 2008
Hi everyone
This is my first post...Larry introduced me to this site and I was thrilled to see some folks from UB have their own spot....

In response to the above post, just wanted to make a little correction....The IFF factory is still there, and it has expanded there is another building up on the highway on Rose Lane and one across the highway at Rose Lane as well....you might be confused because they stopped manufacture of most things on the UB location and they manufacture in Dayton, NJ facility, they still make some things in UB though....but it is now their research facility...I worked there for 5 years........

Also I don't know if you were talking about another water tower but the one by Memorial School is still there , as well...My Mom still lives behind the school, so I see that tower every week :-)

And speaking of the beachfront....It is beautiful, so relaxing...and people come from other places now to use the beach, imagine that?
rayfromdover

Philadelphia, PA

#395 Jun 12, 2008
Hi rustyred,
I was told that the "old" part of the IFF, near Jersey Ave / Ross Lane, by the bay,(the one that fouled the air) was shutdown by the EPA due to some type of spill... guess I was wrong?? The water tower I'm talking about, the one that alot of us kids "climbed" at night back in the 60s was about one or two blocks off of hwy 36, not to far from Holy Family Church. I'm thinking "Aumack" Ave but I can't exactly remember. It must have stood over 100 feet tall. I'm not familar with any water tower by the school, so that must have been placed there after 1969. the beach front that I remember was filled with glass, stones, stinky seaweed and dead horseshoe crabs. From the recent pictures I've seen of the beach, it definitely looks beautiful now. When I lived there, most of the roads were dirt and there was no sewer system - just private septic systems or cesspools. UB has come a long way,some good, some bad... I would think the people would miss all of the old "mom and pop" grocery stores that use to be there - Phils, Ralphs, Lowchows, Miss Divens, etc.
rustyred

AOL

#396 Jun 13, 2008
Hi Ray
you know what...some people are confused about the IFF factory being shutdown because they changed their operation and moved most of the manufacturing process to their corporate hq's...but it is definitely still there on Rose Lane and Jersey Ave, just does a little different work.....

I'm going to check on that old water tower for you :_0 next time I go to my Mom's, I remember now that there was one there but for the life of me can't remember seeing it in recent years...the other one by the school has been there since at least1964 because that is when we moved into that house and my neighborhood used to climb that one....My hubby used to climb the one you speak of though

Yes I also remember the dirt roads, we were just telling our kids about that oily stuff they used to put down to keep the dust down, Lord knows what it was made of but we walked in the streets in our bare feet.

well, nice talking to you Ray, I look forward to some more good conversation here...have a good day!
rayfromdover

Philadelphia, PA

#397 Jun 13, 2008
Hi again Rustyred,
Is Larry H related to you? He's a great guy. I graduated from memorial school in June 1964 (same as Larry) and there was no water tower by the school at that time, so if it was installed in 64, maybe it was put in that Summer, but I;m sure I would have heard of it or seen it??, oh well. By the way, the 'old" water tower was tall enough to be seen from just about any location in UB, you could even seen it all the way from the beach front. Vic, a member of bayshoretalk group, previously informed me of the following:
"The old 1927 Union Beach Water Tower was dismantled in 1988. Since 1992 our water is no longer supplied by the borough of Union
Beach. The town has since utilized the services of New Jersey American Water Co." Rustyred, Larry has already joined our bayshoretalk group. came join us, it's free and safe: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bayshore Talk
rayfromdover

Philadelphia, PA

#398 Jun 13, 2008
Rustyred, sorry, there is no space between Bayshore and talk. Here is the correct address:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BayshoreTalk
rustyred

AOL

#399 Jun 14, 2008
Hi Ray
No, I'm not related to Larry but I've known him most of my life....His niece (who passed away recently) was my dearest childhood firend....and so he is like family....I graduated from Memorial in1967 and I tell you that water tower was there but I guess not as big...LOLOLOL...funny the things you take for granted....I am so used to that thing that actually I am not really sure if it is still there and I walk that trail about once or twice a month with my Mom......The trail is the old railroad tracks, it is now a walking trail...it goes from Leonardo all the way to freehold....it is a nice addition to the bayshore area....

I will try to join the other group Ray , as soon as I get another minute...getting ready to leave for my sis-in-laws 50th birthday!
Take care and Happy Father's Day!
sweeney821

Keyport, NJ

#400 Jun 15, 2008
Ray i have been trying to join your group for months waiting for you to ok my membership please help. Yahoo sreen name littlehawk14.
rayfromdover

Philadelphia, PA

#401 Jun 16, 2008
Hi Sweeney821,
Please be advised that I am only a member, not the moderator of the group. I do not have any authority to approve membership. The last time we communicated via this forum I informed the moderator of your pending membership and she told me she approved all applications received. The only thing I can suggest is that your try again.
Larry D

Philadelphia, PA

#402 Aug 15, 2008
Larry D - the orginator of this forum. If you still review this forum, please check in with the yahoo group. We're all wondering how you are doing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topcoat Construction Limited (TCL Associates): ... Apr 24 el3nabrown 6
Review: Affordable Computer Repair Hazlet NJ Apr 20 Dave777 2
Review: Tiffany's Vintage Closet Apr 4 anonymous 5
RT-35/36 merge GSP (Jun '13) Apr '15 Jacked 10
TLS Group Madrid, Barcelona, London: Services Mar '15 stevemorlug25 1
Topcoat Construction Limited (TCL Associates) Mar '15 gr3ygordon 5
drug dealer in keansburg Mar '15 Jacked 4
More from around the web

Union Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE