|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2007

Ray from Dover wrote:
<quoted text>
the Anchor Inn has been there for a long time. I remember the first time I went there as a young boy, must have been 7 or 8 (1957 / 1958). Our family went there in the middle of the day when business was slow. I was normally a pretty well behaved kid, but for some reason I went around to each table and collected the coasters. When the waitress saw what I was doing, she tore me up and down, I thought for sure she was going to spank my butt - and in those days it probably would of been perfectly legal!
I remember the green italian dressing. it was my favorite.
bigred

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2007

from ub to oviedo fl wrote:
<quoted text>
it was tim kelly
well tim kelly is a sgt on the force today.and he does a lot of great things with the kids...great cops both him and mike...
from ub to oviedo fl

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2007

bigred wrote:
<quoted text>well tim kelly is a sgt on the force today.and he does a lot of great things with the kids...great cops both him and mike...
I'm sure they are both excellent cops and citizens. I knew them both well as a kid. they were good people.
Ray from Dover

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2007

Does anyone remember the name of the restaruant, located on the main street in keyport, that was in a basement. The entrance was at street level, but soon as you opened the door you went down a staircase into the restaruant. It had booths, a counter with stools and a couple of pinball machines in the corner. I use to go there back in the 1960s and was wondering if it still there? Thanks
Larry from Boca

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

HEY, BIG RED, ONE MORE THING ABOUT THE ANCHOR INN. MY BROTHER AND I AND OUR WIVES WOULD GET TOGETHER ON SATURDAY NIGHTS AND WATCH TV OR JUST HANG OUT. THEN MY BROTHER AND I WOULD GO FROM KEYPORT TO THE ANCHOR INN AND GET A LARGE PIZZA (THEY DIDN'T HAVE TOPPINGS IN THOSE DAYS) AND THE COST WAS SEVENTY-FIVE CENTS....THAT MADE IT EVEN MORE TASTY!
bigred

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Larry from Boca wrote:
HEY, BIG RED, ONE MORE THING ABOUT THE ANCHOR INN. MY BROTHER AND I AND OUR WIVES WOULD GET TOGETHER ON SATURDAY NIGHTS AND WATCH TV OR JUST HANG OUT. THEN MY BROTHER AND I WOULD GO FROM KEYPORT TO THE ANCHOR INN AND GET A LARGE PIZZA (THEY DIDN'T HAVE TOPPINGS IN THOSE DAYS) AND THE COST WAS SEVENTY-FIVE CENTS....THAT MADE IT EVEN MORE TASTY!
they still have the room, i guess where the bar used to be.i guess people rent it for parties..the pizza is still yummy....
from ub to oviedo fl

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Raymond McGlyn wrote:
I lived in Union Beach from 1970 to 1984 and after a very brief stay in East Keansburg(ugh), I was back in good ole U.B. in December 1985. I lived on Park Avenue(339, the yellow house with the black horse porch decor...if it's still there. My father was a member of the Union Gardens Fire Company. I also was a dedicated Union Beach Police Explorer for a couple of years (I'll never forget Sgt. Peter Weinrich...such a great man and friend). As well as Officer Wooley...who I am certain he is now a Sergeant and Michael and Tim Kelly. After Park Avenue, I lived at 131 Floyd Ave and I worked as a dishwasher in the Colony Inn for Pete Andolpho and Carmen Stoppiello(I miss that man!). I lived in Union Beach up to 1992 when I moved to Ocean County on my way to Middletown in 1993. My grandparents were Mary and Harold Truax. My parents are Ray and Rita McGlyn. By the way...if anyone knows who they are...they are both very sick and are in the Madison Center Nursing Home in Old Bridge on Route 34. Please take some time to visit. I am certain that seeing friends of theirs from the past will cheer them up tremendously. Please keep them in your prayers as well. My name is Raymond P. McGlyn and I am currently living in Freehold NJ at 113 Throckmorton Street Room #1. Thank you for your time and, of course, no matter where I go, Union Beach will always be MY HOMETOWN!!
we have got to know each other but I can't place the name. I lived in ub from about 1965 or until 1983. I used to be in the colony alot. My name is Curt
Toodles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

Ray from Dover wrote:
Does anyone remember the name of the restaruant, located on the main street in keyport, that was in a basement. The entrance was at street level, but soon as you opened the door you went down a staircase into the restaruant. It had booths, a counter with stools and a couple of pinball machines in the corner. I use to go there back in the 1960s and was wondering if it still there? Thanks
The Cup&Saucer. They had the best egg-creams and great hamburgers for twenty five cents. And don't forget the juke box! ;o)
Toodles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

Ray from Dover wrote:
Hi Larry / Toodles/ Beachers. Besides the book on Union Beach (currently on back order thru Arcadia, but available now at Amazon.com ) Keport has 3 books published - 1 Keyport VII, 2 Keyport in the twentieth Century, and 3 Keyport from plantation to center of commerce and industry. Larry, your idea of establishing a Web site is fantastic and it looks like Toodles has a neat site on its way! Toodles, do you have to join the group to post messages / articles?
Union Beach Memories. Do you remember the old, original bradlees store, before they built the newer one. I believe it was at the end of Pool Ave (or maybe it was Florence Ave) and Hwy 36. Back in the 50's, I think it was called the "family circle" but could be mistaken. However, if you were in the beach in the 50s you must remember it. I remember it was a yellow building with large picture windows. It was probably one of the only stores around at that time (long before the larger bradlees and the "airport plaza"). I would imagine route 36 is full of stores today? I think the only supermarket was the Acme in downtown Keyport (long before the Acme at Routes 36 and 35)
Yes, it was called The Family Circle. I don't remember the Acme downtown though, just the A&P on Poole Ave and 36 that is now a car/RV dealer. Porters old store is now a half day care center and half Ritas Custard shop. Holy Family Church is still there, though minus Father Fox thank god for small miracles. ;o) I was in there for a month
in Sept. 36 is a lot different than you'd recall, for sure though not as strip mall conjested as 35.
Eastpoint (up by the Old Hoffbrau House (sp ck?) in Atlantic Highlands) there is a park dedicated to those from the area that died at WTC on 9/11. It is a beautiful memorial that looks out to NY.
It has a giant eagle with a piece of a beam from WTC sitting atop all the names of the victims. ;o(
Toodles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

Holy Family Church is still there, though minus Father Fox thank god for small miracles. ;o) I was in there for a month
in Sept.

Correction: I was UP there for a month. LOL The church would cave in on my head if I stayed in there that long. LOL
Toodles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

TRC1972 wrote:
I remember George the mailman. I think that he lived on the corner of Dibling by Johnny Daybacks house. My ex brother in law is married to Sue Wheeler, Steves sister. We all use to hang out on that corner back in 1971-73. I graduated Keyport in 1972. Hung out with Gavin, Marty, Lou Falco..Mike Huddy, We totally tormented the poor man. I think that was him.... I don't see anyone anymore but I'd really like to hear from some of those people.I'm at theresac21@msn.com I think I graduated with the Mayor? Ellison? I graduated with Judy Ralph.
George lived across the street from Johnny D on Haug St. I lived across the street from the Wheelers and was in Steve's grade. I haven't seen Judy in many years - not since she used to date Richie Belmonte back in '70's. I ran into Tommy Ralph in the Colony in the late '80's, that was the last I heard.
Toodles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

Larry from Boca wrote:
Last Anchor Inn pizza I had cost two bucks. ;o) I'm not a fan of pizza but Anchor Inn had classic NJ pizza that transplants in South Fla cry for.
Toodles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

Ray from Dover wrote:
<quoted text>
the Anchor Inn has been there for a long time. I remember the first time I went there as a young boy, must have been 7 or 8 (1957 / 1958). Our family went there in the middle of the day when business was slow. I was normally a pretty well behaved kid, but for some reason I went around to each table and collected the coasters. When the waitress saw what I was doing, she tore me up and down, I thought for sure she was going to spank my butt - and in those days it probably would of been perfectly legal!
That's funny. My Dad used to play soft ball on the Anchor Inn team when we first moved there,
and we used to do the same thing - swipe coasters.
And yes, that waitress didn't like it one bit. They were the coolest things to play hopscotch
with ;o)
Larry from Boca

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Hi Toodles, really enjoying your messages. Please post it if you get a web site, as I have pictures (black and white, of course)of the 1950 hurricane that destroyed the Union Beach beachfront that a long time to come back.I would love to post them..keep up getting people to talk about the good, old Beach and its people.
Ray from Dover

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Hi Toodles. Glad to see your posts on this forum. Like Larry, I look forward to your messages and memories of Union Beach.

The Cup&Saucer Restaurant. Yes, that was it. I remember we use to go there after catching a movie at the Strand, which was usually a Western or an Army picture back then. I saw my very first movies at the strand - "Old Yeller".

Holy Family Church and Father Fox. Boy do I remember him. I made the mistake one day of getting in the wrong confession booth line - his!
Do you remember the highlight of the Summer back in the 60s - the Church Fair across from the church with the amusements, rides, game-of- chance -$3 or $4 would get you on all the rides with money left over to eat. Do you remember the Christmas Bizaar held in the basement of Holy Family were they sold jewely, toys etc for Christmas gifts.

Coasters from the Anchor Inn. I used them as "Flyer Saucers", of course, that was before they invented frizbees. I think back in the 50s early 60s the Anchor Inn was really the only place to eat in Union Beach, I can't think of any other restaurant / bar. When I graduated 8th grade from Memorial School, we had our dance in the school gym, then after, a bunch of us kids went to the Anchor Inn to eat - it was kind of a tradition back then.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip back to the beach. I hope to return there someday. It's kind of funny, I haven't been to Union Beach in close to 40 years and I have no family left there, but if people ask me where I'm from, I automatically say Union Beach. When I was a teenager I couldn't wait to get out of Union Beach, and now, I think of it often and realize what a great town it really is.

I hope you can post Larry's pictures of the 1950 hurricane on your bayshore website - looking forward to seeing them.

Toodles, we know the same people, areas, happenings and our about the same age. Did we know each other very well??
Toodles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Yup, the Cup&Saucer was the place to go after the movies. My sisters and I saw our first movies at the Strand too,(our first movies without our parents that is) Old Yeller was one of them. Remember Saturday matinee was $.35 and they used to give out dishes in a sort of Green Stamp deal if you saved your tickets. My grandparents had one of the first colored TV's and we would go to Elizabeth on Sunday to watch the Wonderful World of Disney. It was truly sheer magic when Tinker Bell waved her wand and turned our black&white world to color. I made that same Father Fox mistake myself once and when I got in the coffin booth and realized it was HIM I froze up and forgot my lines. He hollered and threw me out and told me not to come back until I knew that whatever prayer. Yes, the one I still don't know. lol Ahh the summer highlight was indeed The Fair -- ya just didn't want those two weeks to end. My sister still has an ornament she got at the Christmas Bazaar - an angel made out of safety pins and beads. Do you remember the summer schools they held in the church basement, when they gave us all little kiddie loaves of Wonder Bread each day? I hope you were in church the time Father Fox was doing his usual money grubbing rant, lambasting the poor parishioners for not giving enough, and right in the midst of a sweaty bellow his teeth went flying out of his mouth. LOL We laughed all the way home. Ahh yes, the 8th grade graduation dance followed by Anchor Inn pizza. George Weber stayed back a couple times just to keep with that tradition methinx ;o) I couldn't wait to get out of there either when I was a teen. That's just part of being a teen, wanting to reinvent the world according to you. Then you grow up and find life reinventing you when you watch your own kids grow up. Then you fully realize how precious those childhood years were, and that you'd give almost anything to step into that time machine and go back to an 8th grade dance, just for one night. I can't remember your last name Ray, though I do remember the face that was always with John Roche'. John is featured in the class of '69 year book for getting voted "best looking" right next to my 1yr older sister who was also "Queen" that year.
Amazon.com : Forever Green: Books: Holly Holliday
My picture is on the back cover. See if you recognize me through my Mark Twain
name costume.:o) Though I'm sure you will recognize some of the characters, they're
composites of our old friends.
Thanks for taking me back to the dance Ray...now go catch up with the guys before they get in trouble without you. ;o)
Toodles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Green-Holly-Hol...

The link didn't post...try try again :o)
Toodles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Here you go Larry...click the photo section and post them....or send them as an attachment in email. I will post one of them on the home page.

BayshoreTalk : Bayhsore Talk
Toodles

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Ray from Dover

Glenside, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

Toodles, Ah, so I was correct when I guessed you were a writer in a previous post. I went to your link with Amazon.Com and read the outstanding review of your book, "Forever Green". I tried in vain to get to the back cover but was unable to. However, I have 3 grandchildren who love to read,(as well as I)so I ordered it and will see if I can recognize you from the photograph on the back cover. I didn't know John was voted best looking in the 1969 Keyport HS yearbook. I am not in that year book as I had to leave High School in Junior year (67/68)to work full time to support my mother and two little sisters. Fortunately, I did complete high school and went on to college during my Air Force career. If I had the 69 year book I could have looked and seen who the "queen" was for that year. I was also intrigued by your last sentence, "now go catch up with the guys before they get in trouble without you." I don't know how you would know this, but I was always the one to talk the guys out of doing stupid things that would get them in trouble. Oh Well, who you are is still a mystery to me, but it's fun trying to figure it out. I had the same situation with Father Fox. I hadn't gone to confession in quite some time, and he asked me how many weeks were in a year. No excuse, but I was a young kid and didn't know the answer. Boy, he started calling my stupid and a few (actually many) choice words. By the time I got out of the booth, I was soaking wet with sweat. I made sure that I never got his booth again.

Some more memories of Union Beach. I understand the roads are now paved, but do you remember they were mostly dirt. At least the side roads were. Richard Tremblay use to go up and down the streets with a grader (bulldozer) and scrape the dirt to flatten the potholes and spray some kind of liguid tar to hold down the dust in the Summer time. As you probably remember - he went on to be the Chief of Police. Also, before the Police Station moved over to the Water works, it was located on Union Ave, a couple houses down from the Drug Store. I understand the old Police Station is now a Barbar Shop.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 221 - 240 of528
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Union Beach Discussions

Search the Union Beach Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Holmdel Fire Company #1 On Main Street Is Closed Apr 13 local 1
Drug Dealing on Kearney St Apr 11 Atheist Veteran 1
Would you vote for an Atheist President? Yes/N... Apr 6 Atheist Vet 3
'Pill mill' doctor gets 41 months (May '09) Mar 30 Eyes 13
Anybody out there that used to Hangout at Wetso... (Feb '13) Mar 30 66 gto 26
Hells Angel MC Conspiracies (May '13) Mar 26 Obone 9
Post a Comment (Jun '09) Feb '14 bantal silikon 2
•••
•••