Ship captain rescued in firefight with Somali pirates

There are 33 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Apr 12, 2009, titled Ship captain rescued in firefight with Somali pirates. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

An American ship captain was freed unharmed Sunday in a swift firefight that killed three of the four Somali pirates who had been holding him for days in a lifeboat off the coast of Africa, the ship's owner said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
not a fan

Chino, CA

#26 Apr 13, 2009
Cravczec wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps it is because your are incapable of coherence.
You lack reasoning, intelligence and logic...Oh Snap!
Robert J G Jackson Sr

Huntington Beach, CA

#28 Apr 13, 2009
Congratulations to the United States Navy for putting a satisfactory end to this brazen act of piracy. Now it's time to attend to these people, just as Thomas Jefferson did with the Barbary Pirates. It's truly absurd in the 21st century to have commercial shipping lanes threatened by these thugs. Congratulations to France for bringing an end to their situtaion as well. Armed attacks on Amreican shipping is simply not to be tolerated.
lbpd

Santa Fe Springs, CA

#29 Apr 13, 2009
not that hard of a shot. all depends on how close they were.
joecairo wrote:
More than likely, a SEAL team was on station for several days, doing recon and awaiting further orders. A report saying that snipers on the fantail of the Bainbridge got the three seems incredulous.
It was dark, both the target and the Bainbridge were bobbing in the water, the hull is enclosed...nice shooting.
just wondering

Long Beach, CA

#30 Apr 13, 2009
How in the world can these people in a small rubber boat armed with AK-47s commandeer a gigantic solid steel and metal vessel? I mean do they point there weapons towards the vessels and say "throw us a ladder that we may come aboard and kidnap you for a ransom?" I mean they have to climb upward to get on the vessel I'm sure? Heck it doesn't appear that there little boats have motors! look as if they use ores! I mean gigantic solid steel/metal ship vs small rubber boat.....I don't understand how they board these vessels? somebody anybody please explain!
LBJJ

Bremerton, WA

#32 Apr 13, 2009
BIG Bravo Zulu to the forces involved!

You'd think that after after a few hundred airings of "Blackhawk Down", Americans aren't going to take any more crap from Somalia.

Somalia's "governing body" better start enforcing a Marshall Law, or else we'll be forced to impose a Marshall Plan.
onemansopinion

La Mirada, CA

#33 Apr 13, 2009
1. great job by the Captain and by the Navy!

2. solution: arrange for "sea-lanes" much like the airline industry has for airplanes and have those "lanes" (with fixed departure and arrival hours, guarded by international navy force.
or a security force with approval to defend a ship, much like the air marshalls!

3. As far as these thugs are concerned: blow them out of the water a few times and the problem is resolved!
uhyea

Los Angeles, CA

#34 Apr 13, 2009
not a fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad the captain of the ship came out of this disaster alive (and frankly, surprised he did so), but lets be 'real' here,, neither our government or any other gives a rats **** about what happens to our (or anyone else s) ships on the high sea's. It's long past time the U.N. takes care of the problems emanating out of Somalia and Africa in general...
We should nuke "The Skinnies"

“Try an take 'em ya Varmint”

Since: Jul 08

Rio Rancho

#35 Apr 13, 2009
not a fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You lack reasoning, intelligence and logic...Oh Snap!
Just how on earth do you know that? Hmmm, Or does it just give you warm fuzzies when you say stupid things?
onemansopinion

La Mirada, CA

#36 Apr 13, 2009
just wondering wrote:
How in the world can these people in a small rubber boat armed with AK-47s commandeer a gigantic solid steel and metal vessel? I mean do they point there weapons towards the vessels and say "throw us a ladder that we may come aboard and kidnap you for a ransom?" I mean they have to climb upward to get on the vessel I'm sure? Heck it doesn't appear that there little boats have motors! look as if they use ores! I mean gigantic solid steel/metal ship vs small rubber boat.....I don't understand how they board these vessels? somebody anybody please explain!
These pirates operate from a "mother-vessel" and then attack in small but powerfull boats from there on. One of the problems is that the shipping companies have been "stingy" and refuse to board poeple like the airlines do..."marshalls" who should be able to blow these smaller boats out of the water in one shot!
not a fan

Chino, CA

#37 Apr 13, 2009
Cravczec wrote:
<quoted text>
Just how on earth do you know that? Hmmm, Or does it just give you warm fuzzies when you say stupid things?
It's called 'sarcasm' dumbbell or haven't you heard of it?
LBFamily

Long Beach, CA

#38 Apr 13, 2009
Makes me wonder what the last thing to go through the pirates mind was ......7.62, 5.56, .50 cal.... I wonder.
Luke

Riverside, CA

#39 Apr 13, 2009
just wondering wrote:
I believe they throw ropes with hooks on the end of them to latch on to the top of the ship, then climb up the side. The shipping companies need to put electrified barbed wire around the outsides of the ships and also hire a few mercenaries with large caliber rifles that would be able to sink these smaller boats with a few shots. RPG's would also be nice. Good job Navy, gotta love those SEALs
Anon

Pleasanton, CA

#42 Apr 13, 2009
I'd love to see a news clip of that pirate singing "Yohoho and a bottle of ..." just before his head explodes into a bright fizzy cloud of blood and brain matter, courtesy of the U.S. Navy Seals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Underhill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is EuroFoodMart Legit? (Apr '11) Apr 25 Dude 28
News Restaurant hires PR firm after bacon brouhaha (Aug '14) Apr '15 Henu 3
News Vermont: Muslim War on the Word 'Bacon' (Aug '14) Nov '14 Former New Englander 5
News Vermont restaurant removes - bacon' sign after ... (Aug '14) Sep '14 Weird 0ne 2 41
News Vermont legislators hear of child protection co... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Truth Hurts 1
Review: Bernasconi Construction (Mar '14) Mar '14 Jon Wheeler 1
News Fall foliage being pushed back? (Oct '11) Nov '11 monkey biter 4
More from around the web

Underhill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]