In a flash, high-seas drama ends

In a flash, high-seas drama ends

There are 20 comments on the The Morning Call story from Apr 13, 2009, titled In a flash, high-seas drama ends. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

There was no end in sight to the standoff between a small band of pirates and the U.S. Navy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Just Me

Allentown, PA

#1 Apr 13, 2009
I think the Navy should do a bit of torpedo practice on a few pirate ships. They need to be shown that this is not the way to make money.
Easily Amused

Northampton, PA

#2 Apr 13, 2009
Wow! I don't know what else to say but Wow!. I'm guessing these snipers had several earlier opportunities to take these guys out but followed the rules of engagement.

Glad he is safe and heading home. Nice work USN!!
NoCrap

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Apr 13, 2009
United States waging WAR under Obama. Weeeeeeee. So sad that we killed three people ;(
Mad Max

Allentown, PA

#5 Apr 13, 2009
I think the US Navy should sink a few pirate ships.
Brad

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Apr 13, 2009
How long until the cowardly countries like Saudi Arabia,(who paid a $10million ransomj) start asking us for help when one of their ships gets taken over?
been there

Chicago, IL

#7 Apr 13, 2009
Obama 3-Pirates nothing...and didn't the Republicans question his lack of military courage

“What does your soul look like?”

Since: Apr 08

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Apr 13, 2009
"Navy snipers on the destroyer's fantail took aim at the pirates' heads and shoulders. The commander gave the split-second order: Fire. All three pirates were picked off. The captain was safe."

That's awesome. I'm glad to see the U.S. STILL does not negotiate with terrorists - pirates included. You give these guys an inch they'll take 3 yards.
GOOBERKSK

Levittown, PA

#9 Apr 13, 2009
The captain is a hero
Winston

Montréal, Canada

#10 Apr 13, 2009
cool.
Dr Porkchopian

East Stroudsburg, PA

#11 Apr 13, 2009
Great Job, Men! Let this serve as notice that our President (I didn't vote for him) and our Armed Forces will not lay down for these High Sea miscreants. Meet force with overwelming force!

“Think”

Since: Mar 07

Norfolk, VA

#12 Apr 13, 2009
Fine shooting, Marines. Nicely done!
LV Reader

Lansdale, PA

#13 Apr 13, 2009
Excellent job by the US Navy. They controlled the situation and offered numerous opportunities to end the stand-off.

Now is the time for other countries to stand up for what is right. The rest of the world wants to hide behind the US. England used to take part, but recently they seem to be hiding also.
way to go

United States

#14 Apr 13, 2009
way to go

“I get to see an Angel everyday”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown, PA

#15 Apr 13, 2009
Just Me wrote:
I think the Navy should do a bit of torpedo practice on a few pirate ships. They need to be shown that this is not the way to make money.
I agree, but the problem is that the area in which they operate is about the size of Texas. I would think the only way to stop this is to find the pirates and eliminate them. Problem with that is that they are on foreign soil, which could constitute an act of war.

Currently there are over 200 sailors from foreign countries such as Germany that are being held captive by these pirates. Perhaps there could be some kind of base built in the area with air and water capabilities. That and heavily arming these boats is the only thing I can think of.

“I get to see an Angel everyday”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown, PA

#16 Apr 13, 2009
GOOBERKSK wrote:
The captain is a hero
One of the very few times that I will agree with you!
Way to go US Navy SEALS!!!!!!!
Can you imagine how hard that shot was to make? On dry land is one thing, but from a moving boat is incredible.
Whistling S

Bethlehem, PA

#17 Apr 13, 2009
Where are all the anti-violence wackos now?
deebo wrote:
"Navy snipers on the destroyer's fantail took aim at the pirates' heads and shoulders. The commander gave the split-second order: Fire. All three pirates were picked off. The captain was safe."
That's awesome. I'm glad to see the U.S. STILL does not negotiate with terrorists - pirates included. You give these guys an inch they'll take 3 yards.
News Watcher

Bethlehem, PA

#19 Apr 13, 2009
I see a lot of pirates running around Allentown and Bethlehem - Obama should apply some of his rules of engagement around here.
Sound Reasoning

San Jose, CA

#20 Apr 13, 2009
I sure hope that these fine Navy SEALS, are appropriately acknowledged (ie, decorated) by their Commander-In-Chief.
Sound Reasoning

San Jose, CA

#21 Apr 13, 2009
Mad Max wrote:
I think the US Navy should sink a few pirate ships.
A few?

I am disappointed that immediately following the recovery of the Captain,*ALL* the pirate ships circling in the area to aid their comrades in the lifeboat, weren't sunk.
cynical

Glenolden, PA

#22 Apr 13, 2009
Hoofty wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, but the problem is that the area in which they operate is about the size of Texas. I would think the only way to stop this is to find the pirates and eliminate them. Problem with that is that they are on foreign soil, which could constitute an act of war.
Currently there are over 200 sailors from foreign countries such as Germany that are being held captive by these pirates. Perhaps there could be some kind of base built in the area with air and water capabilities. That and heavily arming these boats is the only thing I can think of.
Speaking of Texas, rumor has it that Bush spent the past 3 days staring at a map of Texas trying to find Summallya.

President Obama should land on a carrier near the pirate shooting and declare Mission Accomplished.

At least he'd be telling the truth!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Underhill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Winooski fire chief accused of inappropriate co... Apr '16 Chief Bone Smoker 2
News Single payer advocates propose expansion of Dr.... (Dec '15) Jan '16 FEDERAL CIRCUS OF... 2
Is EuroFoodMart Legit? (Apr '11) Apr '15 Dude 28
News Restaurant hires PR firm after bacon brouhaha (Aug '14) Apr '15 Henu 3
News Vermont: Muslim War on the Word 'Bacon' (Aug '14) Nov '14 Former New Englander 4
News Vermont restaurant removes - bacon' sign after ... (Aug '14) Sep '14 Trisha 34
Review: Bernasconi Construction (Mar '14) Mar '14 Jon Wheeler 1

Underhill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Underhill Mortgages