Ulysses City Council

Posted in the Ulysses Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
ulysses supporter

Ulysses, KS

#1 May 1, 2011
Can you believe at the last meeting they decided to make the Garden City Telegram the official paper for Ulysses. This is stupid. I would think the City Council would promote to keep our business in town. Not only that, for legal notices, you better be watching the Garden City paper or you might miss something that you need to know about. There were only two on the council that gave a no vote to this. We need to overthrow our local Mayor and City Administrator, they have let their positions make power go to their head. Any ideas or suggestions as to how we can get them out?
Ozling In Kansas

Ulysses, KS

#2 May 1, 2011
It is a really strange decision that has little to do with making things better for the people of Ulysses and looks like it has more to do with satisfying personal grudges. If there is an issue with our local paper, I'd like to know what the issue is so I know why we're being inconvenienced.
mrs doubtfire

Hugoton, KS

#3 May 1, 2011
ulysses supporter wrote:
Can you believe at the last meeting they decided to make the Garden City Telegram the official paper for Ulysses. This is stupid. I would think the City Council would promote to keep our business in town. Not only that, for legal notices, you better be watching the Garden City paper or you might miss something that you need to know about. There were only two on the council that gave a no vote to this. We need to overthrow our local Mayor and City Administrator, they have let their positions make power go to their head. Any ideas or suggestions as to how we can get them out?
shouldve voted in the last election
TFL

Ulysses, KS

#4 May 1, 2011
Where can you find who voted no? Do you know?
Sadly

United States

#5 May 1, 2011
Way to support LOCAL business & LOCAL taxpayers John Battin, Tim McCauley and Larry Velasquez! You should all be ashamed of your actions of revenge & not upholding your oath of office. The City of Ulysses has once again made me proud!!!(Sarcarm.......)
There will NEVER be any justification. Might as well cut Eco Deco and the Chamber while you're at it!!!!!
think about it

United States

#6 May 1, 2011
Just what EVERY business is trying to STOP, people shopping in Garden City. I still support shopping hometown and supporting local businesses even if our City Does NOT!!!
Honest Joe

Ulysses, KS

#7 May 2, 2011
I wonder what they got in return?This town is slowly becoming a joke where certian individuals can undermine what the people of this town want or need.
really think about it

Ulysses, KS

#8 May 2, 2011
In order to be an "Official Newspaper", for any community, one would think that the First consideration Should be whether or not such a "newspaper" is a Newspaper. When a publication reports "allegations", with no supporting Facts, by The "publisher", the daughter of a person running for Mayor, just weeks before the election, what does that indicate? I believe the Ulysses News has been given a Message...if they want to be the "Official Newspaper" of Ulysses, or any other community, they should First become a Newspaper, and not a "gossip column" or a Political "mouthpiece". Is the Garden City Telegram any "better"? I have no idea.
think about it

United States

#9 May 2, 2011
really think about it wrote:
In order to be an "Official Newspaper", for any community, one would think that the First consideration Should be whether or not such a "newspaper" is a Newspaper. When a publication reports "allegations", with no supporting Facts, by The "publisher", the daughter of a person running for Mayor, just weeks before the election, what does that indicate? I believe the Ulysses News has been given a Message...if they want to be the "Official Newspaper" of Ulysses, or any other community, they should First become a Newspaper, and not a "gossip column" or a Political "mouthpiece". Is the Garden City Telegram any "better"? I have no idea.
The only message being sent here is once again, the need for power and manipulation when things don't go the City's way or report what they wanted reported.
Their TRUE COLORS are showing and it judt makes the newspaper better when the City is retaliating.
The City's message is "Report good things about us & there's no problem. But hold us accountable, and we're giving you the boot"
There is no Freedom of the Press in Ulysses, Kansas!!!!
im confused

Ulysses, KS

#10 May 2, 2011
Has any of you seen the papers of surrounding communities? Other papers are sooooo much better than ours! Shayla just wants to put the police beat and some of the court proceedings in order to publicly humiliate others and also as a personal vendeta against Carlos Moral, oh and lets not forget ALL the pictures of her own kids. What about the HUGE typo on Dee Lane's name, not only on the front page but also on the continuane page. The Ulysses News is a laughing stock!
really

United States

#11 May 2, 2011
Hard to argue that the Ulysses News should be supported as "local" business when the owner isn't even in the state. I can't blame the Council for choosing a more legitimate source to report for them. More often than not the Ulysses News makes ridiculous errors. It should be not only expected but demanded that they provide far more quality than they have exhibited over the past couple years. There are many accusations that can be made as to the type of news that the publisher likes to report or the negative spin that is placed on so many stories. That is all subject to opinion. But it is fact that the paper is full of errors every single week. The Garden City Telegram is a far more reputable source & it is reasonable to assume that they will provide better quality service.
Ozling In Kansas

Ulysses, KS

#12 May 2, 2011
The Garden City Telegram is not going to come out and cover the city council meetings. No one on the council will be confronted with their own circus antics. I totally agree Ulysses News needs to step up their game in the editting department, but the Telegram is not coming out here to cover our local news and this is a small town with people who want to see their kids recognized for acheivement in the paper, people want to see their legal notices, and we want our business advertising. Garden City has its own fish to fry so to speak. Even if the dirt is not being dished in the paper everyone knows it anyway. And this is the first news I've had of someone printing something not true. I'd suggest that if your goal is to stay out of the papers for negative news, do positive things and keep out of trouble. Nobody wants to see their name in the paper when they screwed up but I don't see any one opening a case against Ulysses News for defamation of character so they must be writing the truth even if it hurts.
ya right

Ulysses, KS

#13 May 2, 2011
And the boss does not get a copy of the Vendor-only one of the U News. All ads that are paid for are in both papers. But,Dad's ads were only in the Vendor-
so guess what? These were free. Does this sound honest to all of you. Yes, City Council does know what they are doing!!!! They are not stupid.
Ozling In Kansas

Ulysses, KS

#14 May 2, 2011
So where is the first part of that, you know the part before the and. If the paper didn't put ads in as they were supposed to go in they should have been free. That is standard business practice. It should be free if it wasn't done properly. City Council does know what they are doing, but it isn't based on what is good for Ulysses. It's based on something they aren't willing to discuss in the meeting which implies that it is something the town shouldn't know about. That's not stupid, but it is also not something reputable people should do.
ulysses supporter

Hugoton, KS

#15 May 2, 2011
and again, as I said, any legal notices, you better get the Garden City Telegram, as otherwise you will have no idea what is going on with our city and what ordinances are being passed and so on and so forth. Darrin Hall and Thad Kistler both need to step down from their positions. Any time I have approached Hall, he is rude and tries to use his "power" to let you know, he can do when he wants, how he wants and where he wants. He does not seem to me like someone who has the city in his best interest.
ya right

Ulysses, KS

#16 May 2, 2011
Ozling In Kansas wrote:
So where is the first part of that, you know the part before the and. If the paper didn't put ads in as they were supposed to go in they should have been free. That is standard business practice. It should be free if it wasn't done properly. City Council does know what they are doing, but it isn't based on what is good for Ulysses. It's based on something they aren't willing to discuss in the meeting which implies that it is something the town shouldn't know about. That's not stupid, but it is also not something reputable people should do.
If an ad is put in the vendor-then it should also be in the U News and be paid for. In simple language-it must be in both papers. If it is only in the Vendor the boss man does not see it and it is not a paid ad. Does that make sense to you?
ya right

Ulysses, KS

#17 May 2, 2011
Ozling In Kansas wrote:
No ads one said "if the paper didn't put ads in as the they were supposed to go in the should have been free." Learn to READ!!
Ozling In Kansas

Ulysses, KS

#18 May 2, 2011
Well, I think I'll continue to go with the Ulysses News. Aren't city council meetings open to the public anyway. I guess it's a good thing not many people show up for the meetings or they aren't televised. It would suck to be filmed doing some of the stuff they do at some of those meetings. I guess they think city of Ulysses business is so inconsequential that it should take a back seat to personal grudges and gossip.
really think about it

Ulysses, KS

#19 May 3, 2011
I am curious. What does naming a Newspaper, as the "Official Newspaper" of a community....do, exactly? Does the City pay money to the Newspaper so named? In other words, is there "value", for either the City or the Newspaper, or both? I still think the "Official Newspaper" should be a Newspaper, first and foremost, but I am also curious as to the "value" of this "action", for either or both.
really think about it

Ulysses, KS

#20 May 3, 2011
And, by the way, if all a Newspaper does (is supposed to do) is publish pictures of some local kids, from time to time, and throw in a few "alleged" news stories, from time to time, just before a local election, can anyone really call that entity a "newspaper"? Obviously, some DO call that entity a "newspaper". I do not. Will the GCT actually come to, and cover council meetings in Ulysses? I don't know. I suppose we'll see fairly soon, won't we?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ulysses Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Save an interesting link here! (Nov '11) Oct 20 Swedish Guy 91
zeek j ford is a rappist and a sexual harraser Oct 14 your mom must be ... 3
Mario Lopez (Nov '07) Oct 2 dmw 4
Do you approve of Tim Huelskamp as Representative? (Dec '11) Sep 30 Nancy Taylor 4
taco bell/kfc (Mar '13) Sep '14 Fetid Pus 30
Cpl. Jason Harwood was family man, highly regar... Sep '14 Paul Schliffke 1
Store on Main Street Sep '14 richard 2
Ulysses Dating
Find my Match

Ulysses Jobs

Ulysses People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ulysses News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ulysses

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]