What about manatees in Clear Lake?

What about manatees in Clear Lake?

There are 49 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from Jul 29, 2010, titled What about manatees in Clear Lake?. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

What about manatees in Clear Lake? Here is how to save our lake from the increasing water plant population.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
geez

Clearlake, CA

#41 Aug 1, 2010
samiam wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, that was a lot of words. ultimately what dictates the maximum flow of the release is the down stream rock formations. But you already knew that right? Even if the damn was not there any of the floods we have had would have happened with or without the damn. But you already knew that right? I'll give you credit for one thing, that last post sounded like AV in the way you twisted irrelevant facts into a post that almost sounded like in had some type of scientific relevance to the topic.
At least you were a little more polite about it this time. Thank you
simian
The info I posted was off of the County of Lake website. reread the part about more water released with the gates partially closed Doesn't it sound a bit strange to you? Do some research, educate yourself.

samiam

Clearlake, CA

#42 Aug 1, 2010
geez wrote:
<quoted text>
simian
The info I posted was off of the County of Lake website. reread the part about more water released with the gates partially closed Doesn't it sound a bit strange to you? Do some research, educate yourself.
But what about the poor little manatees?
Bill

Clearlake, CA

#43 Aug 1, 2010
Harvest the weeds and algae and make compost, sell it to all the people who like to garden. There is big $$ in fertilizer and I bet both the weeds and algae would make excellent plant food. You could even have the fertilizer people buy it by the ton. A bit smelly but there is money to be made. Anybody else want to get into this business adventure?
Brad King - kville

San Mateo, CA

#44 Aug 1, 2010
C'mon guys, don't argue with those that (kinda) agree with you. It's real info and is interesting because hydraulics are a major factor. Be it the downstream rocks, the Grigsby Riffle, or the dam itself. The point is regardless of what or whom dictates dam operations, there is limited variability to it's effect. This isn't just on Clear Lake, the head space necessary for flood control is a careful dance between storing a valuable resource and courting disaster. My kayaking group were loaded and ready to launch in Jan / 95 and instead watched in awe all the water flowing, including the building on the W side of Putah @ 29 that got destroyed. Yuba City / Marysville got evacuated on that one. And we ran Cache Cr at over 10,000cfs 2 weeks later. This lake, when it floods, can take weeks to drain in spite of those monstrous flows.
===
So, to repeat, we (Yolo and through them, our lake) change out a substantial amount of water, directly related to the amount gathered that Winter. but they drain it at a reasonable pace, sometimes much of the flow can come from the N. Fork / Indian Valley, but total flows are NEVER over the low water crossing at the park on Hwy 16, and in spite of no dam, the highest the lake ever reach is 'only' 13.66 ft in 1890. And I'm sure that wreaked havoc.
samiam

Clearlake, CA

#45 Aug 1, 2010
"C'mon guys, don't argue with those that (kinda) agree with you"

You're right. Sorry.
Where the h e l l is Adrian!?!
rdn

AOL

#46 Aug 2, 2010
Ghandi wrote:
Bass are not native. The Sierra Club would be on board.
Now today we went fishing in Blue Lake and saw Hydrilla everywhere.
Who can say we are on top of anything in Clear Lake when Blue rots.

some lakes further north of us do not have even a clean, dry, drain policy in place. i just cant believe these idiots managing other lakes have not taken the step lake county has. not only are mussels being carried from lake to lake so are the none native grasses. this policy should have been applied yrs ago. some blame has to go to water fowl moving grasses from lake to lake also but mostly wet bilges in boats are the main cause. wake up idiots
rdn

AOL

#47 Aug 2, 2010
rodman slough is a big part of the problem. the grasses grow there and then boats going in and out chop it up where it floats all over the lake. if they ever dredge or start to harvest grass they should start there. river out lets need to be cleared.
My dog is smarter

United States

#48 Aug 2, 2010
Ghandi wrote:
"Bass are not native. The Sierra Club would be on board.
Now today we went fishing in Blue Lake and saw Hydrilla everywhere.
Who can say we are on top of anything in Clear Lake when Blue rots."

Stick to love and compassion Ghandi because you don't know jack about aquatic weeds. There is no Hydrilla in Blue Lakes.
Donna Christopher

Kelseyville, CA

#49 Aug 3, 2010
rdn - that was not a river nor has it ever been in Rodman Slough. It was a giant nutrient chomping wetland - the COE decided to 'reclaim' it. Once the wetlands are restored then it will truly be a 'reclamation area'. Middle CREEK used to flow into the wetlands and the nutrients would be taken up by the vegetation. Then mankind decided it could do Mother Nature one better. Remember - it's not nice to fool Mother Nature! And building Hwy 29 & 20 through Robinson Lake didn't help either - especially when you factor in the huge amount of subsidence of ground in the Big Valley area due to huge gravel extraction from Kelsey Creek.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ukiah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Arcata Police report rash of bad LSD trips (May '10) 23 hr Otis Driftwood 251
Trump Locked In Potty Aug 14 Mooch Mooch Kussh 1
Who is the first public official to call obama ... (Aug '10) Aug 10 trump is royals 13
Trump at Mt Rushmore? Aug 8 chews a luuuzer 1
Is Trump A Semite? Aug 5 redaction alert txt 1
Mooch/Kusshner 4 2020!! Aug 1 whyte hause gnus 1
Who Ate White Hse Pets? Jul 31 Moldau Monkeesz 1

Ukiah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ukiah Mortgages