Serious problems with Costco

Serious problems with Costco

There are 9 comments on the Ukiah Daily Journal story from Apr 6, 2013, titled Serious problems with Costco. In it, Ukiah Daily Journal reports that:

Unlike last year's battle to keep Walmart from expanding and threatening the economic future of the city of Ukiah and its residents, the ongoing drive by the city, represented by the City Council, to build a giant Costco superstore at the end of Airport Blvd.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ukiah Daily Journal.

Since: Oct 09

Ukiah, CA

#2 Apr 6, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
If the moronic liberals had not stopped the project this could be at the old Masonite site
That was never about Costco and a mall, as Richard Shoemaker claimed. That was all about who was going to get the tax revenue- city or county. Not surprisingly the city has stopped negotiations with the county for a tax sharing agreement because they have visions of sugar plum fairies and tax dollars dancing in their heads. Of course there IS the small matter of a 5.6 million dollar offramp and other improvements so Ukiah will have to borrow the money, and 5.6 million will be a hell of a lot more than the city will collect in sales tax revenue for quite a few years, and the whole project makes no economic sense, but that's never stopped the Ukiah City Council for staying the course before.
DDR

United States

#4 Apr 12, 2013
MendoMike wrote:
<quoted text>
That was never about Costco and a mall, as Richard Shoemaker claimed. That was all about who was going to get the tax revenue- city or county. Not surprisingly the city has stopped negotiations with the county for a tax sharing agreement because they have visions of sugar plum fairies and tax dollars dancing in their heads. Of course there IS the small matter of a 5.6 million dollar offramp and other improvements so Ukiah will have to borrow the money, and 5.6 million will be a hell of a lot more than the city will collect in sales tax revenue for quite a few years, and the whole project makes no economic sense, but that's never stopped the Ukiah City Council for staying the course before.
Mike, there is also the problem of cleaning up the contaminated soils prior to developement. DDR could have done that for the $1,000,000 it spent trying to skirt the law by going to the electorate instead of doing the right thing and moving forward with the project. They certainly made no friends and certainly did not influence people.

Does DDR of Cleveland Ohio still own the property?
Just asking

Lincoln, CA

#5 Apr 13, 2013
Why does an off ramp need to be built?

Since: Oct 09

Ukiah, CA

#6 Apr 17, 2013
DDR wrote:
<quoted text>Mike, there is also the problem of cleaning up the contaminated soils prior to developement. DDR could have done that for the $1,000,000 it spent trying to skirt the law by going to the electorate instead of doing the right thing and moving forward with the project. They certainly made no friends and certainly did not influence people.
Does DDR of Cleveland Ohio still own the property?
Heya DDR, it's my understanding the County drug its feet and DDR went to the voters. I was for A, but understood why so many people overwhelmingly opposed DDR. I objected to the misinformation distributed about what a Yes vote on A would have allowed DDR to actually do. For example, an EIR is required by law and no matter what the voters of a County vote they don't trump State or Federal regulations.

I also disagreed with those who stated it was vital to our future to keep the Masonite site zoned heavy industrial. We're too far off the grid for any kind of manufacturing to locate here; I sell State wide and shipping is killing me. The only heavy industry that might locate here would have to depend upon our local resources like a sawmill or, perhaps, another Masonite ?:)

At any rate as far as a community goes we're walking a fine line between doing what is morally correct like shopping locally or allowing big box stores in for their much needed tax revenue. I just think it's a shame we can't get a tax sharing agreement so City and County can work together for the benefit of all of us, instead of opposing and competing with each other like the tug of war Costco appeared to be.

Anyway thanks for the civil dialog. I hope something useful comes from the Masonite site, but I fear it'll never be heavy industry.

light manufacturing

United States

#7 Apr 27, 2013
MendoMike wrote:
<quoted text>
Heya DDR, it's my understanding the County drug its feet and DDR went to the voters. I was for A, but understood why so many people overwhelmingly opposed DDR. I objected to the misinformation distributed about what a Yes vote on A would have allowed DDR to actually do. For example, an EIR is required by law and no matter what the voters of a County vote they don't trump State or Federal regulations.
I also disagreed with those who stated it was vital to our future to keep the Masonite site zoned heavy industrial. We're too far off the grid for any kind of manufacturing to locate here; I sell State wide and shipping is killing me. The only heavy industry that might locate here would have to depend upon our local resources like a sawmill or, perhaps, another Masonite ?:)
At any rate as far as a community goes we're walking a fine line between doing what is morally correct like shopping locally or allowing big box stores in for their much needed tax revenue. I just think it's a shame we can't get a tax sharing agreement so City and County can work together for the benefit of all of us, instead of opposing and competing with each other like the tug of war Costco appeared to be.
Anyway thanks for the civil dialog. I hope something useful comes from the Masonite site, but I fear it'll never be heavy industry.
Hi MendoMike, A concern with DDR going to the electorate was that they intended to skirt the EIR with our vote. As I recall, the area requiring cleanup attention was reasonably small and could have been accomplished with approximately the same amount of money that their campaign cost.

I hope something comes from the Masonite Property. Your suggestions as to a solution are well thought through and are certainly a positive direction.

Maybe declaring the property a special bussiness zone of some sort would help skirt the taxation problem. Who knows, but when we work to solve a problem we will find a way to succeed.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#8 Aug 10, 2013
DDR wrote:
<quoted text>Mike, there is also the problem of cleaning up the contaminated soils prior to developement. DDR could have done that for the $1,000,000 it spent trying to skirt the law by going to the electorate instead of doing the right thing and moving forward with the project. They certainly made no friends and certainly did not influence people.

Does DDR of Cleveland Ohio still own the property?
Is the contaminated soil cleaned up??

If they had paved over the soil the contamination s would not still be leached into the river by the rain

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#9 Aug 10, 2013
light manufacturing wrote:
<quoted text>Hi MendoMike, A concern with DDR going to the electorate was that they intended to skirt the EIR with our vote. As I recall, the area requiring cleanup attention was reasonably small and could have been accomplished with approximately the same amount of money that their campaign cost.

I hope something comes from the Masonite Property. Your suggestions as to a solution are well thought through and are certainly a positive direction.

Maybe declaring the property a special bussiness zone of some sort would help skirt the taxation problem. Who knows, but when we work to solve a problem we will find a way to succeed.
The EIR would still have been required

A vote in Mendo does not change state and federal laws
The right is wrong

Lincoln, CA

#10 Aug 10, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
The EIR would still have been required
A vote in Mendo does not change state and federal laws
Since you didn't have the balls to show at the scum bucket, let's see if you'll show at the Race Track.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#11 Aug 11, 2013
The right is wrong wrote:
<quoted text>Since you didn't have the balls to show at the scum bucket, let's see if you'll show at the Race Track.
Another important thread my little girl

Thanks for all if your hard work..........ROTFLMAO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ukiah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3,200 Russian Band at Inauguration? Jan 18 Tranny Teem Tooters 1
News Hash receives 11 years in prison (Jan '09) Jan 17 Debbie 87
No Taxes No Welfare No Other Stuff Jan 15 Tranzit Team T 1
Lying Sack of One Jan 13 Another Big One 1
Donald Does Moscow Tapes Jan 12 Oh No News 1
Where is moron mickey Jan 11 open a window pleeze 2
Spesnatz to March at Inaug Jan 10 yukknuffsky 1

Ukiah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ukiah Mortgages