Greenfield evacuated: Cal Fire orders evacuation of 30 homes

Approximately 30 homes in the Greenfield Ranch subdivision, about 10 miles west of Ukiah, were under an evacuation order Friday night as the Jack Smith Fire jumped a creek drainage and began to head east toward ... Full Story
not so sure

Danville, CA

#1 Jun 28, 2008
I am not sure about the cal fire people sometimes.. My husband was called to a strike team at 6 pm last night to do structure protection for these homes on Greenfield they had 6 engines sitting at the old Ken Fowler waiting for the Cal fire coordinator to tell them were to go... Mind you he is the one who also called the strike team... At 9pm they still sat there waiting for the assignment... Finally at 10 pm they cancelled them.. I think that was a waste of resources... 6 engines coming from UVFD, Potter Valley, Redwood Valley, Hopland, City of Ukiah had 2 engines there...They were suppose to go do Structure protection, These poor guys sat there for 3 hours for nothing!! I am a UVFD wife and I will tell you this that Cal Fire needs to use ALL thier resources. I know alot of you think they are doing a great job and they are in someways but if they would use the local resourses this fire may be at the least contained even 1%! They are not letting local fire dept up there to fight the fire! I think that it is wrong this is our town our lives and they only allow our local heros to sit and do NOTHING!!!
Just waiting

San Leandro, CA

#2 Jun 28, 2008
I was just waiting for someone to start b itching about something someone from CalFire did wrong or is doing wrong. If you don't know what the circumstances are then shut up.
not so sure

Danville, CA

#3 Jun 28, 2008
Just waiting wrote:
I was just waiting for someone to start b itching about something someone from CalFire did wrong or is doing wrong. If you don't know what the circumstances are then shut up.
I do know the circumstances!!! My husband sat out there for 3+ hours I was wondering what kind of responce I would get by posting this comment I just think the public should know that OUR local fire dept are NOT being used because they are not CAL FIRE!!! My husband has been sleeping at the fire house as well as alot of others waiting for Cal Fire to use them! But nope nothing yet!! So before anyone else thinks that its ok to post something negative about my post remember this.... MY HUSBAND IS OUT THERE NOT YOURS, MY HUSBAND IS WANTING TO HELP, MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN TRAINED TO DO THIS, I SIT HOME WAITING FOR THE CALL TO TELL ME HE IS ON HIS WAY OUT! I GET TO HERE THE OTHER FIREFIGHTERS WHO LIVE IN THIS TOWN WONDER WHY THEY ARE NOT BEING USED!! I GET TO HEAR THE DISAPPOINTING CONVERSATIONS FROM OUR LOCAL HEROS WHO DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY ARE NOT BEING USED TO HELP SAVE OUR TOWN!!! SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO SHUT UP THE TOWN NEEDS TO KNOW!!!
MJuvfd

Danville, CA

#4 Jun 28, 2008
My husband was on that strike team as well and I have to agree with not so sure Cal Frie needs to let our men help. my husband is pissed because he cant help. If you dont have the cal fire patch on your shoulder you are not up there. Hang in there not so sure our men will be out there soon. they cant get ahold of the fire they are going to eventually have to use us. Dont let these Ukaihians who dont know what is going on get you down they are not worth it! If anyone wants to know what really goes on up there go buy a scanner and program it with the local police & fire radio codes then you will here the conversations of all that goes on I think that is how us wifes of the firemen are surviving this whole thing... There are ways to see for yourselfs what is going on! Hang in there Not so sure
Concerned Citizen

Healdsburg, CA

#5 Jun 28, 2008
If they were on "standby" doesn't that mean they are standing by prepared to go and protect structures if they need to? They were released because the fire threat subsided. So what's so wrong with this? I was in the Army and we trained all the time for things that never happened. I was always on "standby." Maybe clarify with your husband the definiation of "standby."

I think we need some of our local firefighters for stuff like car accidents and if I start a kitchen fire. I don't want ALL of our locals to be on the hills, we need some of them here for us. By the way, the UVFD Fire Chief is a critical player in coordinating efforts with CalFire.
Zoe

Lafayette, CA

#6 Jun 28, 2008
Perhaps I missed something, but neither not sure or MJuvfd said anything about the strike team being on standby. Where did that come from?

I am sure if the local fire departments send resources, they won't send every fireman out. Surely they have enough experience to know they should keep a crew in town for other emergencies.

One thing I find curious is that no one is talking about how much of our National Guard equipment is in Iraq. I know the Governor complained nearly 2 years ago that he had loaned resources for Iraq and was upset because they had not been returned to California. He was concerned about a not having enough resources for emergencies such as the current one.
Thor

United States

#7 Jun 29, 2008
Greenfield Ranch was a working ranch illegally converted to rural residential, with illegal structures grandfathered by " Class K". I say nature is trying to reclaim itself and is giving the ranch an enema!

Gee, what started the fire?

“never stop asking questions”

Since: Apr 08

willits

#8 Jun 29, 2008
not so sure wrote:
<quoted text>
I do know the circumstances!!! My husband sat out there for 3+ hours I was wondering what kind of responce I would get by posting this comment I just think the public should know that OUR local fire dept are NOT being used because they are not CAL FIRE!!! My husband has been sleeping at the fire house as well as alot of others waiting for Cal Fire to use them! But nope nothing yet!! So before anyone else thinks that its ok to post something negative about my post remember this.... MY HUSBAND IS OUT THERE NOT YOURS, MY HUSBAND IS WANTING TO HELP, MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN TRAINED TO DO THIS, I SIT HOME WAITING FOR THE CALL TO TELL ME HE IS ON HIS WAY OUT! I GET TO HERE THE OTHER FIREFIGHTERS WHO LIVE IN THIS TOWN WONDER WHY THEY ARE NOT BEING USED!! I GET TO HEAR THE DISAPPOINTING CONVERSATIONS FROM OUR LOCAL HEROS WHO DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY ARE NOT BEING USED TO HELP SAVE OUR TOWN!!! SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO SHUT UP THE TOWN NEEDS TO KNOW!!!
God bless the honorable work your husband is doing. and thank him for me.
Oden

San Francisco, CA

#9 Jun 30, 2008
reality checker wrote:
<quoted text>
God bless the honorable work your husband is doing. and thank him for me.
Unlike the dishonorable work that you do.

“Local Boy Does Good”

Since: Apr 08

Willits

#10 Jun 30, 2008
Oden wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike the dishonorable work that you do.
Thor and Oden... note the complete and total lack of any sort of response from these fine folks who are doing their best to exchange information. Kindly cram it.
Oden

San Pablo, CA

#11 Jun 30, 2008
Vowel Movement wrote:
<quoted text>
Thor and Oden... note the complete and total lack of any sort of response from these fine folks who are doing their best to exchange information. Kindly cram it.
Exchanging information? More like passing gas.
babble on

Sausalito, CA

#12 Jun 30, 2008
Zoe wrote:
Perhaps I missed something, but neither not sure or MJuvfd said anything about the strike team being on standby. Where did that come from?
I am sure if the local fire departments send resources, they won't send every fireman out. Surely they have enough experience to know they should keep a crew in town for other emergencies.
One thing I find curious is that no one is talking about how much of our National Guard equipment is in Iraq. I know the Governor complained nearly 2 years ago that he had loaned resources for Iraq and was upset because they had not been returned to California. He was concerned about a not having enough resources for emergencies such as the current one.
why do you insist everything is bushes fault he didnt start the fires and he just declared it an emergency so shut uo you liberal commie pinko pig
george is doing his best! i cant wait til jeb is president
Oden

San Pablo, CA

#13 Jun 30, 2008
babble on wrote:
<quoted text>
why do you insist everything is bushes fault he didnt start the fires and he just declared it an emergency so shut uo you liberal commie pinko pig
george is doing his best! i cant wait til jeb is president
Naw...it's Measure B's fault!
flabby

Hayward, CA

#14 Jun 30, 2008
this lynn meadows sure gets a lot of attention by both the cdf and local media. just a thought
Troll Brandon

San Pablo, CA

#15 Jun 30, 2008
She's my daughter...I think.
Cal Fire Captain

Phoenix, AZ

#16 Aug 15, 2008
Usually what happens when a strike team is call is all hell is breaking loose. North Ops calls the world. As your husband know the dynamics of a fire change constantly. Yes I get frustrated too when I have to drive 12 hrs to get to a fire that's already out. But What if........ So you see there is a method to their madness. BTW, in 1991, I sat at Mathers for 4hrs with 4 Cal Fire/ CDF strike teams [that's 20 engines] watching homes burn down on the Oakland/ Tunnel fire. Their command said we were the wrong type on engines. LOL! Hell we could of saved lots of homes. So believe me, I understand your husband's fruastration
DeBaty

Cincinnati, OH

#17 Nov 8, 2008
First of all I think that Thor has a very good point. Greenfield Ranch is a product of its own lack for design and planning. Don't get fooled by it's title of subdividion. Had the ranch been converted correctly for residential zoning instead of illegally, and the people that lived up there weren't pot-growing career welfare hippies, access, called egress in the fire service wouldn't have been such and issue. For those of you that don't understand this issue, you honestly never will until you've been there. I come from a long line of fireman including my grandfather, father and sister as am I a professional fireman. AND I have been to Greenfield Ranch. The issues up there surrounding access and egress to these homes and the lack of dependable roads creates a situation that the fireman can't control. SO, if you husband wasn't sent because he sat in staging for three hours then don't be angry. Be happy that the four wheel drive engines, and hand crews, that were there and the dozers were able to go in and mitigate the issues surrounding the ranch and their egress. In visiting this ranch myself, my first thought was god help us if there is a ever a fire up here, because it would be a nightmare. People need to take responsibility for their land and clear the brush around their houses, and limit the amount of debree near their homes. We are fire fighters, not magicians. If you had been here and seen these issues, you would understand why limiting the life exposures, meaning only putting the minumum amount of Fireman at one house at a time was the safest and most efficient thing to do. Sometimes there are only so many resources you can put into an area. Thats why we have fire codes, bulding codes, and zoning codes. Hsd Greenfield ranch obeyed any of these, Cal-Fire would have been able to utilize your husband that you are so worried about. Also, when considering who to put into positions like this, Cal-Fire wants to deploy the resources that are the most trained and have the most experience with things like this. They are the best at this. Wildland fires in the urban interface are their forte.
Thor wrote:
Greenfield Ranch was a working ranch illegally converted to rural residential, with illegal structures grandfathered by " Class K". I say nature is trying to reclaim itself and is giving the ranch an enema!
Gee, what started the fire?
Ha ha

Antelope, CA

#18 Jul 24, 2013
Oh crap it's just a bunch of hippies that want to smoke weed and go to burning man

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ukiah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Storm update: Most roads open, Lake Mendocino g... 53 min I voted did you 7
Our necrophiliac thinks Oliver North was POTUS (Jun '14) 2 hr Here Is One 131
One 15 hr Why Cant One 1
Carmel Angelo Busted 20 hr Dick Van Dykes 8
Cruz / Bachman Presidential Campaign Heats Up Thu I voted did you 8
Fears Voiced Over Million NKorean Babys at Border Tue Not a real One 16
Abalone diver drowns off Little River coast (Oct '10) Tue PFOBY 51

Ukiah News Video

Ukiah Dating
Find my Match