Man shot, killed by officer during ma...

Man shot, killed by officer during marijuana raid

There are 55 comments on the The Ukiah Daily Journal story from Jul 28, 2010, titled Man shot, killed by officer during marijuana raid. In it, The Ukiah Daily Journal reports that:

A 25-year veteran of the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office shot and killed a man who leveled a rifle at him early Tuesday morning at the site of a large marijuana grow on U.S. Forest Service land east of Covelo, Sheriff Tom Allman announced Tuesday afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Ukiah Daily Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
help us

Oakland, CA

#1 Jul 28, 2010
Mexican drug cartels, remind me again why progressives don't want to tighten up the borders and inforce illegal immigration laws?
Bob Constantine

Rochester, NH

#2 Jul 28, 2010
Were there any non police witnesses that the person murdered actually pointed a gun at the police?

It's possible that he did and it's also possible that he was shot by the police, simply because they can get away with it.

None of this would ever happen if people in this "free country" actually owned their OWN bodies.

Billions of dollars are wasted every year when peaceful people are arrested fr the "crime" of self ownership.

If we do not own our own bodies, logically we are not free.
If we are not free, we are enslaved.

Who owns YOUR body?
Giddiup

Courtland, CA

#3 Jul 28, 2010
Self Defense.
Actually

Jackson St Forest, CA

#4 Jul 28, 2010
Bob Constantine, you havent been wearing your sunscreen I see.

I am sure no cop wants to kill another person but in a "kill or be killed" situation I approve of the outcome.

Round 'em all up MCSO!
Carnivorous plantlover

Jackson St Forest, CA

#5 Jul 28, 2010
Hey Bob get over yourself, your spew and all others spew about slavery here in the USA is puke worthy. Places like Sudan, India, Pakistan and that oh so lovable Haiti all still have slaves you moron. But by all means keep pretending while things happen to others and not you, you are still somehow a victim

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#6 Jul 28, 2010
Carnivorous plantlover wrote:
Hey Bob get over yourself, your spew and all others spew about slavery here in the USA is puke worthy. Places like Sudan, India, Pakistan and that oh so lovable Haiti all still have slaves you moron. But by all means keep pretending while things happen to others and not you, you are still somehow a victim
Check out HR 5741…………….The new slave bill………Yes here in the states……….
Common Sense Police

Boyertown, PA

#7 Jul 28, 2010
Wasted tax dollars, wasted time, wasted LIFE! What a shame that this person has died for no reason at all. Marijuana is not a dangerous drug, adrenaline is. There was no reason this guy had to get shot, attacked by a dog, then die after "aid" was rendered. Stop killing people over a harmless plant. End the lies and prohibition.
Mendocino

Laytonville, CA

#8 Jul 28, 2010
Common sense? maybe you should try and get some. Try living in this hell hole and tell me how its not dangerous, when you're getting shot at on the national forest while hiking or riding horseback trying ot get you livestock back. Tell me how its not dangerous when every f'n night at ten o'clock I have to dodge the one headlighted water druck driving up the road after it pumped thousands of gallons of eel river water for their pot plants. or how its not dangerous when mexican cartel moves into your own property to grow and oyu have to go in and take it out. Its not dangerous to me? may family? the land?, the water shed? the police? and the animals that these people poison and murder to keep out of hteir plants? get a life you piece of scum. and get real.
You say

United States

#9 Jul 28, 2010
you say "tighten up the borders" as if it could be done by signing a law or building a fence. Look at a map. Our border with Mexico is almost 2,000 miles, much of it unpopulated. "Closing the border" is a GOP and right-wing political strategy, it's not a reality-based solution.

When Bush signed a bill in 2006 for 700 miles of border fence, there was no money in the bill to build it, and that was on purpose: after all it's Big Money campaign donors to non-progressive politicians who make the big profits off hiring undocumented workers on the cheap, instead of paying decent American wages.

The Obama administration, on the other hand, according to stories that came out yesterday, google to confirm, has increased audits of companies hiring illegal immigrants 400 percent, and is deporting record numbers of illegal immigrants (focusing on felons and repeat lawbreakers). The administration also is sending 1,200 more Nat'l Guard to the southwest border this Friday to help with border control.
REALITY

Charleston, WV

#10 Jul 28, 2010
VOTE YES ON 19. This problem wont stop until MJ is legalized or decriminalized. Organized criminals wouldn't be ruining our public lands if the price of weed was low enough. The law of supply and demand will quickly overpower the mexican cartel and bring the money back into the hands of the americans. Face the facts, the war on drugs is a losing battle and we are wasting precious resources to fight it. Save the money to fight import drugs such as Meth, Cocaine, and Heroin. Its a double blow to the Mexican cartels if they lose the pot business in the US And the money we use to fight MJ goes directly to Border Security slowing the flow of hard drugs into our communities. I dont condone the use of MJ, in fact I've never even smoked the stuff but i know all my nieghbors smoke and grow it and frankly i like my "stoner neighbors" a lot more then my "tweaker" neighbors who only bring the neighborhood down. It makes me sick to see the grow houses being busted when meth houses stay around for years and years.
Legalize it, Regulate it and get it out of the national forest and out of the emerald triangle and into the central valley where farming and water use are controlled. Face it guys you can probably grow better cheaper weed in the central valley where electricity is WAY cheaper and so is Labor. SO all you pot industry people that invaded our county pack your bags and head somewhere else to grow your stinky plants and good luck making more then minimum wage. VOTE YES ON PROP 19. TAKE BACK MENDOCINO COUNTY.
FB Grannie

San Leandro, CA

#11 Jul 28, 2010
Common Sense, You need to get a grip in reality. Besides the legal problems with pot ther are others things to consider. I like to hunt and hike. I don't do much of either anymore because I am afraiad of boobie traps and/or getting shot myself. Then there is the impact on the enviroment. The chemicals, litter, water diversions etc. And we as tax payers foot the bill once again. They don't think twice about anything but their crop. They could care less about anyone elses life. Maybe you should tend a few gardens.
Bada Boom

San Francisco, CA

#14 Jul 28, 2010
Glad to see the officers made it home. Anyone destroying our beautiful Natioal Forrests should be shot on site! Its a shame most people are affraid to go enjoy these areas we ALL PAY FOR because some idiots who dont pay taxes and most likely are here illegaly want to try to take advanage of the system.
Im sure they tried to give the poor guy first aid after he had been shot. Hopefully it was Mouth to Mouth via the barrel of a 9mm.
holy c

United States

#15 Jul 28, 2010
I applaud the MCSO. This man pointed a rifle at a Deputy, and got shot. I for one would not like to have the job of a Deputy! I am so sure that it must be hard to live with, taking the life of another... My heart goes out to the Deputy, who was simply trying to do his job, and almost got killed himself. Kudos MCSO!
Ukiah as a Whole

Jackson St Forest, CA

#16 Jul 28, 2010
Bob Constantine wrote:
Were there any non police witnesses that the person murdered actually pointed a gun at the police?
It's possible that he did and it's also possible that he was shot by the police, simply because they can get away with it.
None of this would ever happen if people in this "free country" actually owned their OWN bodies.
Billions of dollars are wasted every year when peaceful people are arrested fr the "crime" of self ownership.
If we do not own our own bodies, logically we are not free.
If we are not free, we are enslaved.
Who owns YOUR body?
Im not sure what you are saying actually relates to this story??
So if a police man defends himself against someone that is attempting to shot at him and he just happens to be quicker at the draw he is the bad guy??

The men were on land "US Forest" that they were not even soppose to be on, much alone being growing marijuana... that is still illegal federally. And I can almost assume that they were not even US citizens. SO free bodies? where does that pertain here?

I dont think any of those men were in our Armed Services defending our US land? so please explain what your comment even pertains to?
Ukiah as a Whole

Jackson St Forest, CA

#17 Jul 28, 2010
Common Sense Police wrote:
Wasted tax dollars, wasted time, wasted LIFE! What a shame that this person has died for no reason at all. Marijuana is not a dangerous drug, adrenaline is. There was no reason this guy had to get shot, attacked by a dog, then die after "aid" was rendered. Stop killing people over a harmless plant. End the lies and prohibition.
People are killing themselves (without police involvement) to protect their precious plants. Marijuana contributes to peoples lack of motivation and self worth. It’s a DRUG! no excuses. its so mixed up with chemicals these days its nothing like the 60s era of love and happiness. some people trade their so called "legal" marijuana for METH and bring it here and everywhere. People grow their so-called legal marijuana and contribute to minors... that don’t end up going to school, violate their probation, and end up doing other drugs, etc. people shouldn’t be driving under the influence of it.. and people shouldn’t be down at the river or lake smoking it next to my child... I should have a say to, what goes in my body, and what’s around my community or children. People that smoke or grow marijuana, rarely (1%) do it for legit/real medical purpose and the other 99% do it for greed, consumption, and money (that they don’t pay taxes on). Its very very sad and pathetic the excuses they come up with. Its god made? really? its men out their planting it and spraying it with chemicals and men that are selling it to kids, etc. sorry but you got me started ... and I have to say my opinion on the matter, because I see the true repercussions of the marijuana epidemic, i.e. friends killing each other, stealing from each other, market trade with meth, unhealthy drug environment around young children, homeless, large attorney bills, professional certifications/licenses revoked do to now criminal record, and chemical waste from growing dropped into our river and creek streams.
apb

Newman, CA

#19 Jul 28, 2010
In Juarez, Mexico the dead man's family members would determine who shot him and then they would find out where he resides.. One day the shooting officer would come home and his wife, children and family pets would all be dead. When you wage war you should expect retaliation. It's just a matter of time until the scenario plays out here. There will be dead law enforcement agents before it's all over. Google Juarez police killing and see for yourself
well maybe not this deputy cause he obviously did not hesitate to defend himself and protect the other officers around him. from an early age you are taught to not point a gun at anything you dont intend to shoot. and obviously this person intended to shoot the deputy by just leveling his weapon at the deputy. this unlucky person decided to "wage war" with the wrong person. and the deputy did a great job of not waiting around to see if the guy was actually gonna shoot. if someone shoves you you dont shove back! you punch him in the mouth! dont wait for him to punch you. and citizens wont tolerate this county turning into juarez!
me me me

Amity, OR

#20 Jul 28, 2010
Common Sense Police wrote:
Wasted tax dollars, wasted time, wasted LIFE! What a shame that this person has died for no reason at all. Marijuana is not a dangerous drug, adrenaline is. There was no reason this guy had to get shot, attacked by a dog, then die after "aid" was rendered. Stop killing people over a harmless plant. End the lies and prohibition.


HMMMwhat aid did he reseve far as i know emt's were canseled befor they even got to the eal river ranger station and did he have a real gun or will we ever know mcso shisty can not trust them and what a fine offiser they put up there he the bigist dirt da dirr they have sad he be gone soon with all the cuts they making NOT.
mendolifer

United States

#21 Jul 28, 2010
one down too many more to count...hey...at least its a start! good job MCSO!
By Chance

United States

#22 Jul 28, 2010
Bo peep wrote:
<quoted text>
In Juarez, Mexico the dead man's family members would determine who shot him and then they would find out where he resides.. One day the shooting officer would come home and his wife, children and family pets would all be dead. When you wage war you should expect retaliation. It's just a matter of time until the scenario plays out here. There will be dead law enforcement agents before it's all over. Google Juarez police killing and see for yourself.
Only one of the reasons the border should be closed.
pepper belly

Newman, CA

#23 Jul 28, 2010
illegals in the national forest are like the mountain lion problem. shoot,shovel and shut up!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ukiah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gala Wine Festival - Ukiah 17 hr howefortunate 1
Trump Pre-Pardons Friends & Family Jul 21 trumpend insert 1
Yorkville Music Thread Jul 17 Musikologist 1
Even the Poor Are Abandoning Obama, According t... (Aug '10) Jul 17 Gore is Right 10
News H1N1 free clinics scheduled; open to everyone (Feb '10) Jul 17 the fear tator 16
Rump Adolt Diapers Sell Out Jul 13 Trumpstuff 333x6 1
With wealth you get health! Jul 11 Novgorod xx 1

Ukiah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ukiah Mortgages