Crackdown on Marijuana in Mendocino C...

Crackdown on Marijuana in Mendocino County

Posted in the Ukiah Forum

YES on B

Jackson St Forest, CA

#1 Jan 17, 2009
MARIJUANA PROSECUTIONS UP 60%

Average of 2 Cases Filed Every Day

By GLENDA ANDERSON
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
January 17, 2009

Marijuana prosecutions in Mendocino County increased by 60 percent in 2008, further eroding the county's reputation as a haven for pot growers and swamping the criminal justice system.

"It's a challenge," said Mendocino County Assistant District Attorney Beth Norman. "We're filing an average of two cases a day every day."

The number of people being prosecuted for marijuana crimes increased from 460 in 2007 to 734 in 2008, according to figures provided by the Mendocino County Superior Court and District Attorney's Office.

Mendocino County Court Administrator Ben Stough said an increase was noticeable to judges, who asked for the figures. The case surge has not yet caused serious problems for court scheduling, but there's concern that the number of people being sent to jail could cause overcrowding, he said.

Marijuana advocates also have noticed the increase. "Everyone has been saying things are rougher in Mendocino County," said Dale Gieringer, California coordinator of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

The spike in prosecutions coincides with growing public animosity toward rampant pot cultivation in the county.

Voters in early 2008 approved a ballot initiative repealing Measure G, Mendocino County's landmark 2000 ballot initiative decriminalizing the growing up to 25 marijuana plants for personal use.

While Measure G did not have legal standing, its passage has been credited with pressuring local officials to ease marijuana enforcement and attracting pot growers from around the world to the county.

That, combined with the statewide legalization of medical marijuana in 1996, led to the proliferation of pot cultivation. Illicit pot production in the county has been estimated at well over $500 million a year.

Once-tolerant area residents increasingly began complaining about the stench of ripening marijuana buds and increased traffic from apparent pot sales. They also feared a rise in pot-related home invasion robberies.

Last week, Fort Bragg joined Ukiah, Willits and the county in placing restrictions on medical marijuana growing.

A shift in law enforcement leadership also affected prosecutions, said defense attorney Don Lipmanson.

He first noticed an increase in his marijuana cases in mid-2007, a few months after newly elected Sheriff Tom Allman and District Attorney Meredith Lintott were sworn into office.

"I was seeing this change of attitude and encouraging people to reduce their numbers pretty drastically if they wanted to avoid problems with the law," Lipmanson said.

Former District Attorney Norm Vroman and former Sheriff Tony Craver were more lenient than the current administration, he said. Judges also are making things tougher for his clients, handing down stiffer sentences than before, he said.

Jail terms for some clients have increased by 30 to 60 days on comparable offenses, Lipmanson said.
Marijuana growers cultivating large numbers of pot plants are at least partly to blame for the backlash, Lipmanson said.

"The growers have been pushing the envelope awfully hard," he said.

Law officials, however, said they haven't changed their policies. Allman said the enforcement focus remains on larger, commercial production. But he said there have been more arrests, spurred largely by public complaints.

Deputy District Attorney Katherine Houston said prosecutors also haven't changed the way they treat marijuana cases.

What has changed is public attitude, she said. "We've never had that support before."

“never stop asking questions”

Since: Apr 08

willits

#2 Jan 17, 2009
I read this story. What I find concerning is the increase began to happen shortly after Allman was elected, and at least a year before Measure B passed.

If correct, the raids that occured in 2007 would appear to be 1) a direct 180 in what Allman campaigned on, or 2) the deputies were not following the directives.

I am also concerned about the raids that happened to people who were never charged. Wouldn't that put the county at risk of a lawsuit?
dopers cry

Jackson St Forest, CA

#3 Jan 17, 2009
reality checker wrote:
I read this story. What I find concerning is the increase began to happen shortly after Allman was elected, and at least a year before Measure B passed.
If correct, the raids that occured in 2007 would appear to be 1) a direct 180 in what Allman campaigned on, or 2) the deputies were not following the directives.
I am also concerned about the raids that happened to people who were never charged. Wouldn't that put the county at risk of a lawsuit?
Of course you are concerned, Jeanette Bogue, aka reality checker. Didn't you and hubby Bret get busted in 2007?

Notice that Allman says many of the busts are because of citizens complaints. Keep those calls and letters coming folks.

And all of you dope growers who moved here to grow pot for money better wake up to the new reality. We are fed up with you and ain't gonna take it anymore.

“Illegitimati non carborundum”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5 Jan 17, 2009
dopers cry wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you are concerned, Jeanette Bogue, aka reality checker. Didn't you and hubby Bret get busted in 2007?
Notice that Allman says many of the busts are because of citizens complaints. Keep those calls and letters coming folks.
And all of you dope growers who moved here to grow pot for money better wake up to the new reality. We are fed up with you and ain't gonna take it anymore.
"We" are fed up with you and ain't gonna take it anymore huh? Got a mouse in your pocket? Speaking for others? Taking credit for the work and trouble they have gone through? Seems others have done all the work you've associated yourself to. "YOU'VE" done nothing about it besides sitting on topix and moaned and b1tched and complained. Your post makes it seem like you have made the arrests or had something to do with things when in reality your riding the LEO's and other citizens coat tails instead. What a joke you are! Keep acting like "YOU" are associated with the busts there man. ROFLAO.
dopers cry

Jackson St Forest, CA

#6 Jan 17, 2009
Former Ukiahan wrote:
<quoted text> "We" are fed up with you and ain't gonna take it anymore huh? Got a mouse in your pocket? Speaking for others? Taking credit for the work and trouble they have gone through? Seems others have done all the work you've associated yourself to. "YOU'VE" done nothing about it besides sitting on topix and moaned and b1tched and complained. Your post makes it seem like you have made the arrests or had something to do with things when in reality your riding the LEO's and other citizens coat tails instead. What a joke you are! Keep acting like "YOU" are associated with the busts there man. ROFLAO.
Like most chronic marijuana users, I know you prefer to make stuff up than to deal in reality.

Fact is, you have no idea what I have done to bring about change in this County. I could be anyone of hundreds of people who worked to get Measure B passed or who have reported illegal growers. I could even be law enforcement for all you know.

But instead of trying to cut down the messenger, the dope growers and their allies need to start dealing with reality. And the reality is the game as changed. Think it won't happen to you?

With 784 arrests for marijuana cultivation and sales last year, every commercial dope grower should be asking themselves, "What are the odds my number is about to come up? And my question to each of them is, "Do ya feel lucky punk? Well do ya?"

Location hidden

#7 Jan 17, 2009
I'm still laughing and will be for a long time. Arresting these people hasn't put a dent into the cannabis market and never will. You can all think your making a difference but the streets are full of product and always will be. You all keep saying..."arrest them" put them away...turn them in...well this has been the policy for 75+ years and it's what has gotten us to where we are today. yeah...keep at it...it just has to work someday huh? maybe in another 75 years. maybe 150.lol Let's not consider the opposite to see how it goes. Let's not work for real change but keep banging out heads against a wall instead and promoting prohibition. After all, it's been so successful so far!!! ROFLAO
YES on B

Jackson St Forest, CA

#8 Jan 17, 2009
Former Ukiahan wrote:
I'm still laughing and will be for a long time. Arresting these people hasn't put a dent into the cannabis market and never will. You can all think your making a difference but the streets are full of product and always will be. You all keep saying..."arrest them" put them away...turn them in...well this has been the policy for 75+ years and it's what has gotten us to where we are today. yeah...keep at it...it just has to work someday huh? maybe in another 75 years. maybe 150.lol Let's not consider the opposite to see how it goes. Let's not work for real change but keep banging out heads against a wall instead and promoting prohibition. After all, it's been so successful so far!!! ROFLAO
You really don't get it do you? No one with any credibility is in favor of prohibition. We just don't want to see our community destroyed by a bunch of selfish in your face punk growers who are out for the quick buck.

You don't live in Mendo so you don't know what it is like to live in the commercial dope capital of the United States.

Measure B has been very effective in helping to restore public safety. I think there are 760 or more arrests in the last year for commercial marijuana cultivation and sales. Growers are pleading guilty and juries are convicting.

The commercial growers need to rethink their business plans and factor in the very real threat of arrest, prosecution and jail.

Location hidden

#9 Jan 18, 2009
YES on B wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't get it do you? No one with any credibility is in favor of prohibition. We just don't want to see our community destroyed by a bunch of selfish in your face punk growers who are out for the quick buck.
You don't live in Mendo so you don't know what it is like to live in the commercial dope capital of the United States.
Measure B has been very effective in helping to restore public safety. I think there are 760 or more arrests in the last year for commercial marijuana cultivation and sales. Growers are pleading guilty and juries are convicting.
The commercial growers need to rethink their business plans and factor in the very real threat of arrest, prosecution and jail.
WHAT? I grew up in Ukiah. Still to this day I have kids , grandparents, mother in law and friends who live there. I've only been gone for 7 years! I know "EXACTLY" what it's like to live in Ukiah and mendocino county. I set apple maggot traps for the state back in the old day. my route was sherwood road from willits to the coast. I've logged in the woods. I've worked in mills and even had several delivery jobs in Ukiah and the area. I know marijuana growers and mendocino county. I definately have more of a understanding than someone who get's all their info from the Journal and booking logs.
I too wish the big commercial growers would go away but there is not one thing a med grower can do about them. I know of no med growers who hang out with commercial growers anyway. They don't want the association.
I'm frutrated. i see the mind set of arrest them, bust them, jail them...these are the ways things have been for years and we aren't any closer today to ending use (which has gone up not down) than we were 50 years ago. arresting people isn't going to change a darn thing. The commercial growers will still hide their grows and sell for profit and the small growers who don't hide because they think they are legal will still get busted. Ending prohibition on alcohol helped bring the country out of the depression. Doing the same for cannabis can do the same for this new recession we are in. If I can see it why can't others? We are sending people to jail over flowers after all.
I feel stuck in the middle here. Some expect us med growers to police the commercial growers. Why? When did it become our jobs to check someone elses actions? I feel no desire to try and control what someone else does any more than I like it when someone tries to control what i do. If you want others controlled, you do it. Don't push it on us.
Gregs Hemp Products

Hayward, CA

#10 Jan 18, 2009
only 2 cases filed a day? according to your head anti-pot activist,and Chief Of Hypocrisy ,Willits Watcher there are tens of thousands of growers here,selling tons and tons of pot, to our school kids,for billions and billions of dollars.He says that the sheriff has invited growers here and that the District Attorney grows pot..growers are probably moving in at the rate of more than 2 a day..with all these undocumented "facts" your leader has brought you, how can you anti-pot people say your winning the war on drugs..the real facts prove different..Legalization is not just an idea from High Times Magazine, but are now endorsed by main stream magazines like The Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1228436835816... #
Crimson Gold

Vallejo, CA

#11 Feb 11, 2009
I just had a dispute with my neighbors nephew-He's been growing too much and drives around with a new truck althugh hasn't had a job for years. Even though we are both 215 card hoolders, I said I was tired of the 215fraud and vandalism. When he made a gesture to hit me, I instantly reacted and hit him. He made a ciizens arrest and I have to appear in court.
For anyone else that "aint gonna take it anymore", my advice is don't take matters in your own hands and contact law Enforcement.

Location hidden

#12 Feb 11, 2009
Crimson Gold wrote:
I just had a dispute with my neighbors nephew-He's been growing too much and drives around with a new truck althugh hasn't had a job for years. Even though we are both 215 card hoolders, I said I was tired of the 215fraud and vandalism. When he made a gesture to hit me, I instantly reacted and hit him. He made a ciizens arrest and I have to appear in court.
For anyone else that "aint gonna take it anymore", my advice is don't take matters in your own hands and contact law Enforcement.
Well I'm confused! Has he been obviously selling? Was there traffic to his door? Plants over the backyard fence? Did you feel unsafe due to his actions or is your only complaint that he has a new truck and got it without a job? I don't condone commercial sales under a med guise but the only complaint you list is the new truck which suggests jealousy and not personal or public safety was your concern.
potbuster

Hayward, CA

#13 Feb 13, 2009
Crimson Gold wrote:
yep. Turn them all in. You can do it anonomously. The legit growers are being harmed by the illegal growers that use medicinal as a cover.
libertymaybe1day

Gilbert, AZ

#14 Mar 10, 2009
Please help me understand the logic, it is perfectly fine for someone to grow marihuana and consume it for medicinal purposes, but if someone else grows the exact same plant and sells it for recreational use, somehow this becomes evil. What kind of logic makes you arrive at that? What is so different between marihuana, tobacco, and alchohol? Seriously!! please explain.Shouldnīt we be free to grow, trade and consume as we please, as long as we donīt harm other people? How does me selling or consuming marihuana affect people that donīt grow or consume marihuana?How are they affected?And please be honest and real about your concerns. And tell me if these concerns are not the same as with alcohol and tobacco.
CMC

Arlington, TX

#15 Apr 21, 2010
Former Ukiahan wrote:
<quoted text>WHAT? I grew up in Ukiah. Still to this day I have kids , grandparents, mother in law and friends who live there. I've only been gone for 7 years! I know "EXACTLY" what it's like to live in Ukiah and mendocino county. I set apple maggot traps for the state back in the old day. my route was sherwood road from willits to the coast. I've logged in the woods. I've worked in mills and even had several delivery jobs in Ukiah and the area. I know marijuana growers and mendocino county. I definately have more of a understanding than someone who get's all their info from the Journal and booking logs.
I too wish the big commercial growers would go away but there is not one thing a med grower can do about them. I know of no med growers who hang out with commercial growers anyway. They don't want the association.
I'm frutrated. i see the mind set of arrest them, bust them, jail them...these are the ways things have been for years and we aren't any closer today to ending use (which has gone up not down) than we were 50 years ago. arresting people isn't going to change a darn thing. The commercial growers will still hide their grows and sell for profit and the small growers who don't hide because they think they are legal will still get busted. Ending prohibition on alcohol helped bring the country out of the depression. Doing the same for cannabis can do the same for this new recession we are in. If I can see it why can't others? We are sending people to jail over flowers after all.
I feel stuck in the middle here. Some expect us med growers to police the commercial growers. Why? When did it become our jobs to check someone elses actions? I feel no desire to try and control what someone else does any more than I like it when someone tries to control what i do. If you want others controlled, you do it. Don't push it on us.
what advice would u have for 2 brothers from texas planning 2 move 2 cali & find employment, LEGAL employment in the marijuana field
To tell the truth

Hilmar, CA

#16 Apr 21, 2010
CMC wrote:
<quoted text>what advice would u have for 2 brothers from texas planning 2 move 2 cali & find employment, LEGAL employment in the marijuana field
my advice is stay in Texas

Location hidden

#17 Apr 21, 2010
CMC wrote:
<quoted text>what advice would u have for 2 brothers from texas planning 2 move 2 cali & find employment, LEGAL employment in the marijuana field
We are over run with people doing exactly what you want to do. My advice...try Oregon. They too are gathering signatures to legalize cannabis just like California is but for some reason it's not publicized like California is.
27yrs

United States

#18 Apr 21, 2010
CMC wrote:
If ya all want to end up as narcotics offenders then by all means come on out to this sh it, h ole of a state/counties. The PIGS here would love to ruin your lives.

MJ IS NOT LEGAL, my registered narcotics offender proves that, and I am that due to MJ for three times less the amount I was allowed on 4 recommendations and a state/county issued card, and almost 50 g's in the h ole over it. By all means come on out here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ukiah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Eureka Police arrest two in Union Street bust (Jun '10) 4 hr HatezGamez 25
Albert Pike, Freemasonry, and the Ku Klux Klan (Aug '08) Sep 5 Mother mACKLEEN 48
News Molester sentenced to 10 years in prison (Mar '08) Sep 4 MamaMia 14
Buy Hats From China Sep 2 pumpkin head 1
News Top Story'The Waltons' house in Virginia sells ... Sep 1 Correct 1
Ole Cotton Mouth's New Hatz Sep 1 China Newz 1
News 2 arrests in alcohol sting with teenagers (Oct '06) Sep 1 Honky Hank 3

Ukiah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ukiah Mortgages