APD serves marijuana warrant, one man...

APD serves marijuana warrant, one man arrested

There are 330 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Jun 25, 2009, titled APD serves marijuana warrant, one man arrested. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

The Arcata Police Department seized 275 growing marijuana plants, along with about four pounds of processed marijuana, and arrested one man on suspicion of illegal cultivation today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
anonymous

Conroe, TX

#1 Jun 25, 2009
No 215, no grow.
Now if this man had a 215, then we will see the city police sued.
Probly not

Edmond, OK

#2 Jun 25, 2009
215's don't apply to 275 plants, dude.
Looks like a no

United States

#3 Jun 25, 2009
"As a result of an investigation following complaints from members of the community"
Don't you think they would have checked to see if he had a 215 as part of the investigation?
Domino 21

Shingletown, CA

#4 Jun 25, 2009
Well Done, APD
Witch Hunter

Fremont, CA

#5 Jun 25, 2009
My dog has a nose for dope. We drive around and when my hound gets a scent she starts to howl. I write down the house numbers and turn them over to the police. Old LuLu and I are cleaning up this drug-infested community one crack house at a time.
Mahunga

Newark, CA

#6 Jun 25, 2009
Everyone knew that place was a grow. It stank to high heaven and you could hear the fans blowing just by walking by.

BTW when there's a real 215 grow the cops turn around and leave. They don't have time to waste on a non-prosecutable bust.
Concerned Citizen

Fremont, CA

#7 Jun 25, 2009
We should form a militia and start taking these drug-dealers out the old-fashioned way.
anonymous

Alviso, CA

#8 Jun 25, 2009
The guy will get a gold star from the DA.
NORML

United States

#9 Jun 25, 2009
Concerned Citizen wrote:
We should form a militia and start taking these drug-dealers out the old-fashioned way.
Yeah, that's just how they do it in Russia!
Legalize Cannabis

United States

#10 Jun 25, 2009
Witch Hunter wrote:
My dog has a nose for dope. We drive around and when my hound gets a scent she starts to howl. I write down the house numbers and turn them over to the police. Old LuLu and I are cleaning up this drug-infested community one crack house at a time.
You are full of shit. You are an animal abuser.
LuLu

Newark, CA

#11 Jun 25, 2009
We are having fun.

Arf!
resident of humboldt

Hollister, CA

#13 Jun 25, 2009
LuLu wrote:
We are having fun.
Arf!
Best post of the day!! LMAO
Concerned Citizen

Arcata, CA

#14 Jun 25, 2009
NORML wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's just how they do it in Russia!
Yea, and Russia doesn't have a drug problem... except of course all the rampant alcoholism. But hey, I choose drunk-driving deaths, domestic violence, and the occasional dead college student over smelly hippies and their smelly pot stinking up the neighborhood!
anonymous

Conroe, TX

#15 Jun 25, 2009
Probly not wrote:
215's don't apply to 275 plants, dude.
As a matter of fact it does and can.
The California Court of appeals has ruled on two seperate occasions that the "limits" impoosed by SB420 and local jurisdictions are UNCONSTITUTIONAL(People v Kelly).
The California Supreme Court is set to rule on this matter any second.
Also if this man had multiple recommendations on hand, he was part of a grow collective, and that is 100% legal under the law.
I have seen recommendations that specify 25 flowering plants and 50 non flowering plants
That = 75 plants per person, so this guy could have 4 recommendations on hand and still be legal even under sb420.
The police do not understand the law, or they are targeting medical cannabis patients.
Witch Hunter

Arcata, CA

#16 Jun 25, 2009
Legalize Cannabis wrote:
<quoted text>
You are full of ****. You are an animal abuser.
Actually, LuLu gets a cookie every time she sniffs one out! It's only a matter of time before we sniff you out too, you dirty drug dealer.
anonymous

Conroe, TX

#17 Jun 25, 2009
California
-------
Garden Grove Stubborn About Medical Marijuana.

It would be nice if members of the City Council, the city attorney and the police chief were required to pay the approximately $250,000 the city of Garden Grove has squandered trying to express what might best be presented as its resentment that the voters of California approved a policy toward the medicinal use of marijuana that is different from the federal government's policy. Unfortunately, the city's taxpayers will have to pay the bills for its officials' obtuseness.

The expense derives from the city's refusal, even when ordered by a court, to return marijuana to one Felix Kha, who was a qualified medical marijuana user under state law when he was pulled over on a routine traffic stop in 2005. The ensuing citation for marijuana possession was dismissed when Mr. Kha produced documentation of a physician's recommendation.

There is controversy over whether Mr. Kha had a recommendation with him when he was stopped. The police report on the incident says the following:

"He said he had a doctor's referral that allowed him to be in possession of the marijuana. Kha handed me a piece of paper that indeed looked like a referral, but I was not able to verify its legitimacy. I read the document and did not find any mention of it being a medical prescription." That's not surprising. The state law permitting physician-authorized patients to possess marijuana refers to a "recommendation," not a "prescription." Prescriptions are regulated under federal law, and writing one for marijuana probably would be a federal violation.

At any rate, when Mr. Kha asked that his medicine be returned and a court so ordered, Garden Grove refused. The City took the case to the state appellate level and lost. The California Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear the city's appeal.

That these stubborn activities involved something other than devotion to the rule of law is suggested not only by the fact that the city lost, but by the underlying law in the situation. State and local authorities are directed by the state constitution to enforce California law, even if there is an apparent conflict with federal law, unless and until a federal court declares that federal law overrides state law. No court ever did so, although San Diego County carried a case to the highest levels of the judiciary branch and lost.

The state appellate decision also made it clear that when a court hands down an order, police officers and other officials are required to act strictly as agents of the court, which absolves them of any claim that they were violating federal law, as Garden Grove claimed to be concerned about.

Garden Grove's case was weak from the beginning. Joe Elford, attorney for Americans for Safe Access, which represented Mr. Kha and received attorneys' fees, told us that after the California Supreme Court declined to review the lower court's decision ASA talked to Garden Grove about settling without requiring attorneys' fees. But Garden Grove would have none of it, he said, insisting on giving the U.S. Supreme Court a try.

It's too bad Garden Grove wasted so much time and trouble on this case. And it's too bad the taxpayers got the bill.
tired

Boulder Creek, CA

#18 Jun 25, 2009
tired of marijuana growers. Please keep arresting them. The police understand the law very well.
Please lend help

AOL

#19 Jun 25, 2009
Witch Hunter wrote:
Would you and your dog please drive down the one-block of Park Wood in Humboldt Hill and locate the house growing the weed. It stinks the whole area up, but I can't put my nose to the particular house. Just driving down the street, the stink fills my car and it takes all the windows down for a couple blocks to air out the smell.
just say no

Eureka, CA

#20 Jun 25, 2009
ABC390 wrote:
Our current marijuana laws are impossible to enforce. Despite decades of marijuana eradication and despite arresting 800,000 people a year, pot is still easier to buy for most high school kids than beer.
Keeping marijuana illegal does not benefit our children. It benefits special interest groups: drug cartels, the prison industry, police departments, and government bureaucracies.
It is immoral to prevent responsible adults from choosing to use a less harmful substance in place of alcohol. If pot were legalized, alcohol use would decrease along with its associated social costs.
If you want marijuana to be legalized, taxed, and regulated for adults, YOU can make it happen. Tell your legislators to support California Assembly Bill 390. It's easy. Visit yes390.org
Thanks for letting me know what to vote NO on.
Nobody gives a flying one if somebody wants to relax with a doobie, but that's not good enough and people are getting sick of it.
Witch Hunter

Arcata, CA

#21 Jun 25, 2009
Please lend help wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you and your dog please drive down the one-block of Park Wood in Humboldt Hill and locate the house growing the weed. It stinks the whole area up, but I can't put my nose to the particular house. Just driving down the street, the stink fills my car and it takes all the windows down for a couple blocks to air out the smell.
LuLu would be happy to!
Thanks for the tip.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ukiah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's Bye Bye Bernie 3 hr Carl Lafong 2
Invade Europe? 3 hr Picasshol 2
Deportation to Panama On Hold 3 hr Jcorona 3
Trump to Fight Euro? Mon Yuknuf Council Burp 1
No Taxes and No Courts Jun 25 Juanita 2
Deport Social Security Medicare Leeches Jun 25 LOVETRUMPlove 1
Fat Ldy Karaoke Bear Calling Contest Set Jun 24 Tina 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ukiah Mortgages