Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,140
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#47662 Jan 24, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm NOT the author of the expression and I was simply describing it in the way that others would do. If I were class conscious in the way that you are speaking I would NEVER have attended those two churches.

I would have gone to churches where the majority are professionals/business people and YES there are those types of churches.
You are not the author? Did someone else write your post for you?

I said you were class CONSCIOUS. i.e. you were conscious of class distinctions. Obviously you are, or you would of never made that observation.

How much haughtiness or arrogance is imputed by that observation is a secondary, but related discussion.

Location hidden

#47663 Jan 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I watch them as an adult, every day , on any thread I visit.!!
good answer.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#47664 Jan 24, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former--And no doubt some of your best friends are black people.
HughBe--- Knowing your understanding of BEST I would say close friends. Most of my dear friends are white given that whites form the majority of the Jamaican population.
"According to the 2001 census, the majority of Jamaica's population is of African descent (referring to those who have origins mainly in Africa)."

Do straighten your hair? Bleach your skin?
Pretend to like girls?
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former--Do you really expect this entire history of your own words to now be overlooked? This is your pattern of making statements and then attempting to suddenly disavow your own words.
HughBe--- I am CONSTANT as the Norther Star.
Constantly full of shxt.

"Norther" star?
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former--You forgot that some of us actually remember you and your words.
HughBe-- I have not forgotten that it is the habit of some to FABRICATE and to FALSELY attribute words to others.
Remind me with specific examples.
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former--Integrity is not a quality you are known for here on this forum.
HughBe--- Your words reflect a mind that is seared with hot iron.
Thank you. You hate that I actually remember your words.

You don't want to be accountable for your own drivel.

Too bad for you.
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former--Focusing on a typo only points up your own weak position. Is that really what you want to focus on?
HughBe--- YOU have not understood my words so go back and read them again and again.
This is your pattern.

To which I previously referred.

Go back and re-read my words.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#47665 Jan 24, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm NOT the author of the expression and I was simply describing it in the way that others would do.
In other words:

"Once again I am not responsible for my words because I only stated these words, I did not invent/create them."

Moron.
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were class conscious in the way that you are speaking I would NEVER have attended those two churches.
I would have gone to churches where the majority are professionals/business people and YES there are those types of churches.
"I prove every weekend that I am not an elitist becasue I go to a church that is not exclusively populated by rich, white people."

Double moron.

Location hidden

#47666 Jan 24, 2013
Triple chuckle

(though the use of the word drivel IS a bit harsh IMO)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#47667 Jan 24, 2013
idgaf wrote:
CoR: I don't believe in god due to lack of evidence. I am an atheist.
Idgaf: you've never from your early childhood believed in a higher power than yourself?
You're not one of those people that claim atheists worship themselves as gods, are you? I had higher hopes for you.
idgaf wrote:
Really? What did you say the last time something bad happened to you? OMG?
OMG is a figure of speech and does not speak to one's theological belief system.
idgaf wrote:
CoR: I assumed you were agnostic based on your previous posts where you seemed to question the existence of god and/or his attributes, claiming it was unknowable.
Idgaf: the fact that I claim that God is unknowable cannot be why I would be agnostic. I am 100 percent convinced that it is not possible to know God and that He/She/It is something humans simply don't understand.
Like I said - text book definition of agnosticism. Agnosticism deals with knowledge, not belief.

Agnostic: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable.
idgaf wrote:
That being said, I believe there is something more powerful than I, what it is, I don't know, but I believe that energy is there somewhere. Call it God, call it Jesus, Call it Heaven or what you may.
Sounds to me like you are an agnostic theist. Similarly, I am an agnostic atheist.
idgaf wrote:
Idgaf: you are quick ... At times I think you are nearly following me and at times you misunderstand what I state. The point of the question was to bring the exact answer without the "prick" to light.
Thanks, but where do you think I misunderstood you? I knew exactly what the point of the question was, even if you didn't like the way I answered it.
idgaf wrote:
Why would you waste time trying to pease something that you cannot possibly understand? Going to church. Reading the bible, torah, etc? Praying? In my mind, you will be better prepared to simply live your life and leave nothing on the table.
Agreed
idgaf wrote:
If God is there, you will find out in due time, if God is not there, you will never know.
Spoken like a true agnostic. My sentiments exactly.
idgaf wrote:
CoR: OTOH, I might still study one or more of the above topics in an effort to better educate myself, even if I don't intend to take any test.
Idgaf: was not the point of the question, but a good thought none-the-less.
Do I get extra credit ;-)
idgaf wrote:
Why are you an athiest?
I thought I was pretty clear on this. I'm an atheist because I see no compelling evidence for the existence of a supernatural god.
idgaf wrote:
Is it possible nothing more powerful than the human exists?
Sure it's possible, but the question really isn't whether or not it's possible. The possibility of something existing doesn't mean it actually does or doesn't. For that, we need evidence. Anything is "possible". Even the existence of Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny.
idgaf wrote:
Like I said, I believe in what I call God, but it is not like the masses believe. The books tell stories that were put together by humans. You mentioned or asked why I need a God to live. I don't. I choose to believe in something greater than myself 'cause like the ants, we are much more powerful than they and so something more powerful than us is out there somewhere.
Faulty logic. Just because something more "powerful" than ants exists (whatever that means), it doesn't follow logically that something more "powerful" than humans MUST exist. By that logic, you end up in an infinite regress where something more powerful than god MUST exist.
idgaf wrote:
We have simply not met that yet. Is it God? Is it alien? Is it our Maker? Who knows. That's one of the mysteries.
It's an imaginary mystery of your own making.
dognz

Rochester, PA

#47668 Jan 24, 2013
youtube.com/watch... ……
I dunno I think they are no honest about it

Location hidden

#47669 Jan 24, 2013
idgaf wrote:
Idgaf: mom was catholic turned to another christian branch.
You stated in your original post that she converted TO Christianity. Do you not consider Catholics to be Christians, or did you just communicate that poorly?
idgaf wrote:
CoR: Why can't your life have reason or purpose without a god?
Idgaf: I'm perfectly fine. Where's ur question coming from? Angle?
No "angle". Some people believe god must exist in order for us to have purpose and meaning in our lives. Just trying to see where you stand on that issue.
idgaf wrote:
Too many people need to believe. Read my posts from earlier. Maybe I was asleep writing and confused u.
If someone "needs" to believe, I don't fault them for it. We all have wants and needs. Many of these wants and needs are common across humanity. It's just the way we deal with them that differs.
idgaf wrote:
CoR: The only thing a god would provide is an externally determined purpose. You can still have an internally determined purpose(s) without a god. And why do we need childish stories of eternal reward or damnation to coerce us into being good. I certainly don't. Do you?
Idgaf: read what I wrote and interpret as you wish ... I am getting "we are in violent agreement" from you on many points in a strange sort of way
I agree, we have more in common than certain others on this forum. What I'm still trying to understand it what drives you to believe in a higher power. Unless I misunderstood, you seem to acknowledge that god is unknowable. You also seem to agree that a person can have meaning and purpose in life without god. So what drives you to believe that a higher power exists?

Location hidden

#47670 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
Triple chuckle
He calls 'em like he sees 'em.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#47671 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
Triple chuckle
A couple of days ago he said (1) that when he looks in the mirror, he sees god, and (2) that whatever he accepts/approves of, so does his god.

I'm going to have to go ahead and stand by the word.

driv·el

/&#712;driv&#601;l/

Noun

Silly nonsense: "don't talk such drivel!".

However, as always, I repect anyone's right to disagree.

:))

Location hidden

#47672 Jan 24, 2013
idgaf wrote:
you've never from your early childhood believed in a higher power than yourself?
I realize I may have misinterpreted your response as hostile when, in fact, I shouldn't have.

In answer to your question, I was raised in a religious household. As my critical thinking skills developed and I began questioning what I was taught, I came to realize how improbable that it was actually true.

I'm the type of person that likes to know whether what I believe in is true or not. Faith (belief without evidence), doesn't cut it for me.

Hope this answers your question in a more thoughtful manner.

Location hidden

#47674 Jan 24, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of days ago he said (1) that when he looks in the mirror, he sees god, and (2) that whatever he accepts/approves of, so does his god.
I'm going to have to go ahead and stand by the word.
driv·el
/&#712;driv&#601;l/
Noun
Silly nonsense: "don't talk such drivel!".
However, as always, I repect anyone's right to disagree.
:))
No question it was drivel. But I was merely trying to take the edge out of the conversation. Sure Hughbe often posts demeaning and insulting verbiage, but that latest exchange was a little less so (more humorous than anything), and my responses were more towards ribbing.

Location hidden

#47675 Jan 24, 2013
I prefer the word babble to drivel. Dunno why.

Location hidden

#47676 Jan 24, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>

No "angle". Some people believe god must exist in order for us to have purpose and meaning in our lives. Just trying to see where you stand on that issue.
<quoted text>
Others (like me) create meaning for their lives on their own, but still accept a God notion. There is that middle ground too.

Location hidden

#47677 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
I prefer the word babble to drivel. Dunno why.
I prefer to use the word "babble" more as a verb and "drivel" as a known.

For example:

Huggy likes to babble on and on, spouting such silly drivel.

Location hidden

#47678 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Others (like me) create meaning for their lives on their own, but still accept a God notion. There is that middle ground too.
Understood. But I see the two as mutually exclusive.

I was addressing the throngs of fundies that believe you MUST have a god in order to have meaning and purpose in life. These are the people that typically say such things as "well, it you're an atheist, why don't you just kill yourself since your life has no meaning or purpose".

Location hidden

#47679 Jan 24, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood. But I see the two as mutually exclusive.
I was addressing the throngs of fundies that believe you MUST have a god in order to have meaning and purpose in life. These are the people that typically say such things as "well, it you're an atheist, why don't you just kill yourself since your life has no meaning or purpose".
But they are not mutually exclusive. Only to Christian fundies they are.

Another example - Do deists rely on God to provide them meaning and purpose?
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#47681 Jan 24, 2013
JOEL wrote:
Vegetarianism - food with a lofty philosophy, karma-free food.
rabbee: helpless plant murderer! they can't even try to run. due to their, religious upbringing. they can't even fight back, as the only true innocent victems.

so eat your own dirt, you shamefull critter. plants only refine the dirt, for it's own purpose. and animal that eat the plants, just refine the dirt more to their own purpose. they are all, just physical dirt refineries.

all prejudices - are just a matter of the vain perspective, of the totally ignorant of G-D. since it is all made of physical dirt, then you must eat of your own dirt you whole life.

if G-D taboo's anything, you must be missing the reasoning for it. for those who eat, of their horse-crap in the dark shall be called mushrooms. there is more than just physical food, to TheHis Domain. and their are deadlie poisons, in both the physical and mental domains. as most of you, are a G-Dless talksick spill.

Location hidden

#47682 Jan 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
But they are not mutually exclusive. Only to Christian fundies they are.
Another example - Do deists rely on God to provide them meaning and purpose?
Perhaps bad phrasing on my part. Let me retry.

I am asserting that belief in god is not a prerequisite to having meaning/purpose in life.

Fundies assert that beielf in (or more importantly, existence of) god IS a prerequisite to having meaning/purpose in life.

If I'm not mistaken, you are in agreement with my assertion. You believe in god, and you might even believe some or all of your purpose might come from god, but you don't see it as a prerequisite for everyone.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#47683 Jan 24, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
So, there is "clean" and "unclean" food. The designations may change according to belief, but you recognize that there are foods that are proper to eat and foods that are improper to eat.
rabbee: if it changes, according to your! belief. then i may be something wrong, with your very own someone elses franken-beliefs. and all franken-beliefs, usually have the mind of a criminal element in their somewhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tyrone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hearing set for teen who allegedly shot father ... (Jan '11) 21 hr Circe 6
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Oct 26 Insect Trust 37
Mimbres area Oct 24 Wherda 2
Grant County Corruption (Apr '10) Oct 21 silly12 6
A Possible Situation? Oct 13 yankeedudell 3
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Oct 13 yankeedudell 47
Forgery Cover up by GCSO Oct 13 Nick Jonas 2
Tyrone Dating
Find my Match

Tyrone People Search