Dustin Rust Trial continuance

Dustin Rust Trial continuance

Posted in the Tyler Forum

gfe

Little Rock, AR

#1 Aug 27, 2012
Anyone know why the special prosecutor asked for a continuance? Did he get another DWI over the weekend?
dcb

Little Rock, AR

#2 Aug 28, 2012
The paper today says the special prosecutor is having a "medical procedure." I bet he's in rehab.
truetotyler

Tyler, TX

#3 Aug 31, 2012
Matt Bingham made the bogus charges up. Dustin would not take a deal and spent over $50,000.00 to fight corrupt Matt Bingham..Now the DA can't go to trial...Bingham must resign very soon.
dcb

Benton, AR

#4 Sep 1, 2012
Can't wait to see how Jack Skeen will screw this trial up.
urobviouslydonan ddustin

Tyler, TX

#5 Sep 5, 2012
everyone can see through you...wake up!
truetotyler

Tyler, TX

#6 Sep 6, 2012
urobviouslydonanddustin wrote:
everyone can see through you...wake up!
No Mr. Bingham I am not. Having lunch with Kenneth Dean today? LOL
urobviouslydonor dustin

Tyler, TX

#7 Sep 6, 2012

Since: Sep 12

Tyler, TX

#8 Sep 7, 2012
He pays the county restitution and makes a written statement admitting his guilt and he ain't going to get any punishment?? What kind of justice is that??
Hey true, mcb, xyj, qur, and any of you others defending him. How about it now??
donttuchmyjunk

Tyler, TX

#9 Oct 3, 2012
any ordinary citizen does what this punk does and they go to jail. Smith county takes care of its good ole boys again.
Burt

Houston, TX

#10 Oct 4, 2012
Funny how to the south in Cherokee County they won't report how the constable from Alto was arrested back in July on a sex assault.
They'll call him "former" if it ever gets reported.
Curious

Tyler, TX

#11 Dec 17, 2012
Okay. Let's say I decide to accept the version of the story as it played out in the news: Dustin Rust was guilty, and got what he deserved. And, the investigation and prosecution were all on the up-and-up, and were not motivated by politics or any personal agenda. Then, I would have to believe that each of the following statements is true:

1. Restitution plus probation is a fair punishment for an elected official who stole thousands of dollars worth of fuel and vehicle use from the county and committed a state jail felony by running an illegal security business.(Now, what do you think would have happened to some county road crew employee if he went into the equipment barn and stole $7,000 dollars worth of material and used it to do work for someone else who paid him?)

2. The timing of the investigation (during the primary election, right after the investigation of officials in Whitehouse) is purely coincidental. This means...

2.a....that the unnamed informant who tipped off the unnamed county commissioner about Rust's activities passed on the information as soon as they heard it. The unnamed county commissioner didn't delay in passing the information on to the county judge. Then, Joel Baker initiated the investigation as soon as he heard about the rumor from the unnamed county commissioner. And...

2.b. The delicious irony Rust had been investigating Whitehouse city officials for (Guess what?) stealing fuel is purely accidental.

2.c. Rust and his deputies had been parading around the Woods Subdivision all night in marked police vehicls for a year and a half, and no one noticed. Furthermore, Rust was either stupid enough or had enough chutzpah to go up to the Commissioners' Court and ask for more fuel so he wouldn't have to go through the inconvenience of using his own vehicle and fuel to moonlight.

3. It is perfectly legal and acceptable in Whitehouse for city employees to fill up their vehicles with gas at the city's expense, as long as they sometimes use their personal vehicles for city business. If they can't get to the city's gas pump, they should then fill up at a private gas station and submit the receipt to the city for reimbursement. There is no need for any law enforcement agency to look into the matter.

4. The crack reporters for the newspaper and TV stations did a bang-up job in investigating and reporting all of the possible angles to this story.

Here are the questions I have about the case that will never get answered:

1. Who was the unnamed commissioner who passed on the rumor about Rust's activities to the county judge, and when did that commissioner hear the rumor, and when did he or she pass on the rumor to Baker?
2. Why did Judge Jack Skeen Jr. reject the original plea bargain deal offered to Rust by the special prosecutor, then accept almost the same deal when it was presented by Matt Bingham?
3. Was it, or was it not, possibly illegal for the fire chief and chief of police in Whitehouse to tank up their private vehicles with fuel from the city's stores? Why was the investigation called off?
4. Well, and, of course--Did Dustin Rust do everything or some of what they claim he did?

We'll never know.

Longview, TX

#12 Dec 22, 2012
oh my!! this is by far some of your best !!!
GENIUS,,,,,,,,,, PURE GENIUS
InTheKnow

United States

#13 Feb 2, 2013
I have the privilege of knowing a little about this and why they targeted Dustin Rust. Read the upcoming book. It will be a good read!

United States

#14 Feb 2, 2013
A book??????
Lmao!!!!!!!!!!
just me

Benton, AR

#15 Feb 2, 2013
Looks like the machine is getting a little shook up. Kerry Cook's attorneys called out Bingham on his lies in that case. Judge Russell is referring a couple of Bingham's minions to the state bar for disciplinary action(watch your back Judge Russell). In the Mineola fiasco, Skeen was shown to be the buffoon that he is.

I think another book is a great idea. I have a couple of things I could contribute to such a book.(some probably laugh and scoff at the idea of a book because they lack the ability to read one). Smith County Justice, Redux!
just me

Benton, AR

#16 Feb 4, 2013
I wonder if Bingham and Skeen are watching what is going on in Williamson County today. I suspect that is their future.
wheres Dustin ?

Keller, TX

#17 May 6, 2014
I wonder what ever happened to him ?
Did he leave Smith County?
wheres Dustin ?

Plano, TX

#19 May 14, 2014
I could care less bout your blog site
I don't do fb so I ain't getting back to you
You better care

Fremont, CA

#20 May 15, 2014
[QUOTE who="wheres Dustin ?"]I could care less bout your blog site
I don't do fb so I ain't getting back to you [/QUOTE]
If you live in Smith County, you should care about what's going on. From my read of the story it's possible that Rust was set up, or was possibly innocent of some of the charges leveled agains him.
So what, you ask? If Rust (who was an elected law enforcement official at the time) was railroaded, it could happen to ANYONE. I know of at least three other individuals who have been threatened with adverse consequences for speaking out about the corruption and ineptitude of local officials. Remember, this whole thing broke after Rust started sniffing around in Whitehouse because the fire chief and/or police chief may have been helping themselves to the city fleet's fuel supply.
I don't expect you to give a ratz azz about any blog. But when it comes to the actions of government officials, it is your responsibility to be informed and to vote accordingly, not by who has the most 'likes' on Facebook or who claims they are "proven. effective..."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tyler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UT Health Center Tyler Jul 20 Sharon Sloan 1
For a good time, call ..... Jul 20 kay 3
communist teacher Jul 18 kay 8
News Smith County Commissioner Terry Phillips to run... (Sep '15) Jul 14 ALandrum 3
Pokemon GO Jul 11 Regdin 1
3 Car Accident 4/13/16 around 7:20 a.m. on East... Jul 11 Faylinn 2
Chris Green - Thinks he is still running for Sh... Jul 10 TOC 5

Tyler Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tyler Mortgages