Teen drowns at Tybee Island

Teen drowns at Tybee Island

There are 37 comments on the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer story from Jun 25, 2006, titled Teen drowns at Tybee Island. In it, Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports that:

A 16-year-old boy drowned over the weekend near Tybee Island's pier and pavilion, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sad and Concerned

Utica, KY

#1 Jun 25, 2006
I was here when this young man died. We need to retrain your lifeguards how and when to do CPR. This young man could have been saved.

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jun 25, 2006
i was there too . . its sad when the lifeguards didnt know how to do CPR, he will be missed
Forsyth GA

Forsyth, GA

#3 Jun 26, 2006
My family vacations at Tybee every summer. I have a 15 year old son so this is very close to home for me. If the child was only submerged one minute, why couldn't CPR save him? My husband is a paramedic and wonders the same thing. I wonder if he was down longer than that.
McDonough GA

Rex, GA

#4 Jun 26, 2006
I too was there. I am a certified First Responder - I offered assistance and was told there were nurses and EMT's assisting. They looked to be in complete control of the situation. I stepped back took my three boys 11-13 years of age back to our area and told them that gawking and crowding would not help the young man; let the responders do their job and we should say our prayers. Too many gawkers, spectators and unnecessary people standing around critcizing something they really had no idea of what was going on. I spoke to beach patrol an hour later to inquire to the boy's condition and he stated that he was not yet breathing on his own. I asked if they knew how it had happened (too ensure my children didn't repeat the mistake) he stated there were conflicting stories as to how the drowning occured and that only those that were at the hospital knew for certain. If any of the rumors that were flying were true - certain techniques can't just be done - for risk of other complications. The bottom line is the rescuers were doing their best and if one of the rumors is true (that the young man was dared to dive off the pier or had possibly hit his head on one of the wooden poles as the waves were strong and he was close to the pier) - they were rescuing a young man that had put himself in jeopardy. The lesson here is to respect the ocean, its depths, shallow areas and undertows. The rescuers I am certain did all they could and probably didn't sleep that night although I am certain most other people standing there did.
Newnan GA

Newnan, GA

#5 Jun 26, 2006
I was there as well. The Savannah paper reported that he had dove under (not specific on whether it was from the pier) and a friend became concerned after he did not resurface a minute later. Who knows how long it took before he was actually found in the water. I do believe that there were too many trained lifeguards at the sight for CPR to have been performed incorrectly without interference. Our towels were within 10 feet of where he was brought to shore. I'm certain that every possible effort was made in to save his life. Lifeguards are neither doctors nor are they God. I'm sure they feel badly enough without fingers pointing in their direction.

United States

#6 Jul 31, 2006
My son did not jump off the pier. We dont know exacly what happened.(yet). All i know is that there were alot of people standing around, watching my son drown and the only person brave enough to jump in and help him was his friend jeff. How could all those people stand there and listen to my son yell for help and do nothing. People have said "they saw him sink" well why didnt they jump in and help him. Trey was a wonderful person with such a big heart, i know if he saw somrthing like that he would have helped. So, yea you are right alot of people did sleep that night. And, until they know what its like to loose a child and have there heart ripped out of there chest while there still alive. It makes me relize there is no hope for mankind.

Richmond Hill, GA

#7 Aug 25, 2006
This was one of my good friends. he will always be in our memories. We love him and miss him. RIP Trey.
Mario Delgado

Wendell, NC

#8 Aug 25, 2006
Heartfelt condolence to Trey and all of his family and friends.

United States

#9 Sep 7, 2006
September 7, 2006.
I witnessed the last few minutes of the unsuccessful resiscitation attempt on the beach beside the pier. We can never know how preventable this tragic death was, but I can add one factual observation. The young man died in full length blue jeans. Without speculating on the meaning of this, I have to conclude that even for a good swimmer, wearing a heavy, wet pair of denim jeans would have to be an impediment to swimming. I felt sad and empty after this terrible event occurred and I wish belated but sincere condolences to his family.

Alexandria, VA

#10 Sep 12, 2006
im sorry but those of you who did not help my best friend should be ashamed of yourselfs and karma will come back around for people like you. My name is Jeffrey Jodon and i was the "boy" or "friend" that reportively said that he was under for a minute. im sorry but unless you were there and your were with Trey like i was you have no idea so dont question the people who know what there are talking about unlike you who dont. like the person on this site talking about how he KNOWS he was wearing denim blue jeans on when me and him got off of work earlier that day with light black (not denim or jeans at all) work pants that are cotton.

United States

#11 Sep 24, 2006
if anyone has any information on what they saw that day at the beach could you please email me. that was my son that drowned... i need to know what happened. my email is [email protected] thank you

United States

#12 Jan 19, 2007
i need answers
Mario Delgado

Pittsboro, NC

#13 Jan 20, 2007
What do you hope to get from a discussion thread? Is this a pending legal matter? Or are you seeking a sense of closure?

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

United States

#14 Jan 20, 2007
no, This ins no legal matter. I dont want to sue anyone, It was an accident. I just wanta know what anyone could tell me they saw. Yea, i guess you could say its closure. The datails of that day are not clear..I just really wanta know what people saw. I wanta know my son didnt suffer.

United States

#15 Jan 20, 2007
my sons website myspace.com/alienwerkshopp

United States

#16 Mar 16, 2007
did anyone ss anything that day?
No Name

Waterford, MI

#17 Feb 17, 2008
I was on scene and Administering CPR. It is sad reading these comments and realizing the public even those on scene do not have a clue. Yes there were lifeguards on scene and 2 ER nurses and 2 ER Doctors, they were on scene less than 2 minutes after "Trey" was pulled out of the water. Say, Mr. Comment are you going to say ER Doctors do not know CPR? Yeah Right!. The truth was never told. In a guilt ridden confusion, A third party friend told a Lifeguard 1 year and 1 Month later the truth, that "trey" was being held under water by his friend. While this was an unintentional act, they were in waist deep water and only playing. Rumored to be High on Marijuana and Pills, the teens were in clothes not suited for ocean swimming. READ THE AUTOPSY REPORT. A fractured Vertebrate no water in the lungs??? The public, Educated by the media, is ignorante in 100% of all Police, Fire and Lifeguard Scenes. Take the Sugar refinery, Yeah the public... NOT A CLUE.
and anything else for that matter. You all hear what they want you to hear, and THAT IS IT. I am sorry for you, but when you make comments even if "you were there" you still don't know the truth. The worst part is you think you do.
please tell me

Hinesville, GA

#18 Feb 17, 2008
I dont understand, are you telling me that his frien held him under water.
please tell me

Hinesville, GA

#19 Feb 17, 2008
Pplease i am not trying to get anyone in trouble i just want to understand what happenedd to my so that day?
please tell me

Hinesville, GA

#20 Feb 17, 2008
please please tell me, what you know. I am not trying to get anyone in trouble. that was my 16 year old son. I need to know what teally happened to him. I have never believed he just drowned..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tybee Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teen Challenge Exposed! (Jul '07) Oct 21 Kentucky 148
What percent of white women are with black men ... (Apr '13) Oct 20 JESSE JAMES ROSCOE 45
Review: Abbott, Greg DDS - Greg Abbott DDS (Jul '10) Oct 11 Paige 18
Vacation planned starting Wednesday -- should I... Oct 10 AC Walker 1
News Weakening but still powerful Matthew plows up A... Oct 9 Dr Reker s Bellhop 5
News The Latest: Storm eye moves off Cuba; Florida e... Oct 6 wildtreechopper 1
Ex-Relationship Advice Oct 5 ittbitun1 3

Tybee Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tybee Island Mortgages