Two Harbors 'honking tree' felled by vandals

Full story: TwinCities.com

Vandals have felled the iconic "honking tree" just south of Two Harbors in northern Minnesota.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Eric B - Duluth

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

I saw that tree a million times living between Duluth and Two Harbors - on the commute to High School and hockey in Two Harbors. Although I thought it too much to honk at a tree, I always thought of that tree as a symbol. A huge swath of trees had to be felled to make the expressway from Duluth to Two harbors in the 1960's, but there was one magestic white pine in the median that was left alone. It stood there as a reminder to me of what is replaced by our "progress." And then, like the last truffula tree in "The Lorax," it was cut down. Then there were none.
Rob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

Doc wrote:
<quoted text>
There's nothing wrong with the human race. There is something wrong with the vandals who chopped down the tree. By the way, who built the place you live and what earth-saving job do you have?
An individual homeowner built the house originally and my grandfather added onto it, then a local contractor then my brother. I have a job where I don't hurt people and create beauty and I volunteer my time to oversee a natural area.

Since: Aug 08

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

Judged:

What a stupid custom. Honking at a tree? I guess things are pretty boring up there if you need to come up with a tradition that ridiculous. Are locals bringing flowers to lay where the tree used to be? Are they burning candles as a tribute?

Maybe they could start honking at a no passing zone sign. Maybe a billboard. Or maybe they could just not annoy people by blowing their horn for some made up reason.
Rob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

Judged:

DAST wrote:
It is much easier to leave one's mark on the world by destroying or killing something than it is by saving or creating something. A couple loser jerks with no meaning or purpose in their lives are feeling rather important and famous this evening, and might even celebrate their accomplishment with some alcohol while driving.
BTW Rob, it is also easier to spew stupidity than to build a house. You are probably feeling rather important and famous this evening, too; please don't drive.
Gee, I guess there must be few idiot(and very sensitive) developers online today...

Since: Aug 08

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

StILL BoB to EM wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! I have driven by & honked countless times over the years . What a pea brain to cut it down. when they catch him , he should be castrated with a chain saw.
Wow, it was only a tree. Lighten up. BTW, it's very sexist of you to just assume it was a male. I'd expect more from a tree-hugger like you.
Diane

Negaunee, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

Judged:

The honking tree was a beautiful white pine, more than 100 years old.

Photo and story here:

http://tinyurl.com/cwgyy9

Click on story titled ‘Honking Tree’ that commemorates Duluth worker nominated for national tree register.
SpaceCowboy

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

Judged:

I propose they build a monument in memory of this tree. They could make it a bronze tree. Impervious to chainsaws. They could adorn it with green emeralds for foliage. They could use the felled tree for mulch around the base of the monument as a symbolic gesture. Then in 10 years the city can raise property taxes to refurbish the monument. But they will already have to have relocated the monument to the entrance of the minimall that would have been built after the highway is widened. Then the city will receive our state tax money for the transplant. Because it falls under infrastructure funding. In 20 years everyone will have forgotten where the hell the tree statue had come from.

Replant the dam tree!
Diane

Negaunee, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

You can't "replant" a 100 year old tree.

Once they are gone, they are gone.

Yes, we can all go out and plant some trees to try to help make up for this one being lost.

It is a big deal to the people of Two Harbors, to lose this tree.

If it is not a big deal to you, why don't you just move on to something else?
SpaceCowboy

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

Judged:

Diane wrote:
You can't "replant" a 100 year old tree.
Once they are gone, they are gone.
Yes, we can all go out and plant some trees to try to help make up for this one being lost.
It is a big deal to the people of Two Harbors, to lose this tree.
If it is not a big deal to you, why don't you just move on to something else?
Okay... sue me.. I mis-typed. You can move on and you are going to have to. Tree gone. Trees get cut down. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a county worker who cut the tree down, not knowing the sentimental value of the tree.

Holy cow! I had a teddy bear, the dog chewed up. I moved on to GI joes.

This is ridiculous!

I think I'll camp here for a while just because you told me to move on.
More than a Tree

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2009

MNCyclone, I think for those of us that grew up in Two Harbors, this wasn't "just" a tree, it was a symbol of the peace and the simplier times that lay just past it in Two Harbors and up the North Shore. It welcomed people from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the country to the quiet and the majestic beauty of the Boundary Waters.

I grew up less than a mile from the Honking Tree, and remember seeing it and knowing I was almost home, it was almost time to get out of the car and it held, for me, allot of good memories. I remember passing it leaving for trips and saying "see you soon". It really has nothing to do with the tree itself as much as all of the symbolism and the memories it held.

Now that I am down in the Twin Cities, I always looked forward to seeing it. It brought a smile to my face. I don't think there is anything stupid or annoying about that. Actually, it's nice to have traditions like that, things that bring the community together and keeps things at that simplier pace.
MNCyclone wrote:
What a stupid custom. Honking at a tree? I guess things are pretty boring up there if you need to come up with a tradition that ridiculous. Are locals bringing flowers to lay where the tree used to be? Are they burning candles as a tribute?
Maybe they could start honking at a no passing zone sign. Maybe a billboard. Or maybe they could just not annoy people by blowing their horn for some made up reason.

Since: Mar 09

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

More than a Tree wrote:
MNCyclone, I think for those of us that grew up in Two Harbors, this wasn't "just" a tree, it was a symbol of the peace and the simplier times that lay just past it in Two Harbors and up the North Shore. It welcomed people from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the country to the quiet and the majestic beauty of the Boundary Waters.
I grew up less than a mile from the Honking Tree, and remember seeing it and knowing I was almost home, it was almost time to get out of the car and it held, for me, allot of good memories. I remember passing it leaving for trips and saying "see you soon". It really has nothing to do with the tree itself as much as all of the symbolism and the memories it held.
Now that I am down in the Twin Cities, I always looked forward to seeing it. It brought a smile to my face. I don't think there is anything stupid or annoying about that. Actually, it's nice to have traditions like that, things that bring the community together and keeps things at that simplier pace.
<quoted text>
Don't feel bad, some of us can relate to you even though we are not from up north. Tradition indeed. Something people today have no idea what it is or can mean to some people. I remember the "Pink Tavern" this was my symbol that we were almost to our cabin. Time to get out of the car and stretch out and lets the dogs run. When I started driving, I always knew it was time to turn. They tore it down about 8 years ago and the trip is just not the same....so do not feel bad about treasuring your memories. You are lucky to have them.
Doc

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
An individual homeowner built the house originally and my grandfather added onto it, then a local contractor then my brother. I have a job where I don't hurt people and create beauty and I volunteer my time to oversee a natural area.
Spoken like the pompous, self-Self-Righteousness hypocrite you probably are. Remember One should examine oneself for a very long time before thinking of condemning others.~Moliere
Sam

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

I once called the North Saint Paul office and asked if I could plant a tree on the boulevard.

She said the City maintains trees on the boulevard a resident could NOT plant a tree on the boulevard.

I asked if a tree started growing there if I did not cut it down and it grew what would the city do?

She said trees don't just grow.
Vikings Fan

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Stanley wrote:
<quoted text>
Every post you type Go Vikings. How lame.
Something wrong with that "Stanley"? Might it be that you don't like anyone that likes sports, because you were always getting your butt kicked by the jocks? Still living in your parents basement pathetic one? You are lame! Go "Stanley" Vikings!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Two Harbors Discussions

Search the Two Harbors Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
No bail hold 23 hr Tina Vernor 6
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Apr 12 Weldy 845
last time I tried Apr 7 Lisa Tannen 19
...how to spot a what? Apr 5 Bill 24
Morning Officer 511, if that's even your real n... Apr 4 Tina Vernor 7
There must be something wrong Apr 3 Tina Vernor 10
Dear Mayor Don Ness, Apr 3 Tina Vernor 31
•••
•••
•••
•••

Two Harbors Jobs

•••
•••