Two Harbors 'honking tree' felled by ...

Two Harbors 'honking tree' felled by vandals

There are 34 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 30, 2009, titled Two Harbors 'honking tree' felled by vandals. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Vandals have felled the iconic "honking tree" just south of Two Harbors in northern Minnesota.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
neighbor

Iowa City, IA

#1 Apr 30, 2009
I would look at the neighbors. I'd probably cut it down if I lived by it and people kept honking.
Peter M

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Apr 30, 2009
Nice if the PP would've included a picture. Christ almighty, how difficult IS it to produce a decent article?

Nice work guys. I'll give you a strong grade of "mediocre" on this report... but don't worry, that's what our children are being taught too. Mediocrity keeps those slow kids from feeling bad; maybe they can even grow up to write reports for the PP.

Since: Mar 09

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Apr 30, 2009
I agree with you Peter, a photo would have been nice. Sad that there is nothing better to do than to chop down a tree.
Rob

United States

#4 Apr 30, 2009
I always wonder what in God's name is wrong with the human race when I see news items like this. If one wants to destroy beauty, why not be a housing developer or work in an open pit mine?
TIMBURRRRRR

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Apr 30, 2009
The vandal was last seen leaving the scene with a very large blue ox.
George Berkeley

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Apr 30, 2009
If a tree falls in a forest - or by a freeway - and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
annoyed mom

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Apr 30, 2009
What did this "honking tree" do to deserve this kind of spurious activity?

Was someone annoyed that a tree received "honks" rather than a human i.e.,'themselves" ?

If so how unfortunate.

Well it is done.

So go to your local nursery and buy a nice tree.

And plant it in your community and care for it.

Honk at it too, if you can if it is in your yard, or park -- wherever you choose to plant it, as a tribute to this lone white pine.

Two Harbors will not be the same trip as before, but then nothing is permanent all is change...

so bless all you love, hug all you love and remember the trees for the gifts they give to all of us.
Doc

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Apr 30, 2009
Rob wrote:
I always wonder what in God's name is wrong with the human race when I see news items like this. If one wants to destroy beauty, why not be a housing developer or work in an open pit mine?
There's nothing wrong with the human race. There is something wrong with the vandals who chopped down the tree. By the way, who built the place you live and what earth-saving job do you have?
George W

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Apr 30, 2009
neighbor wrote:
I would look at the neighbors. I'd probably cut it down if I lived by it and people kept honking.
Maybe it was George W. who chopped down the tree - George Washington; not the other one.
DAST

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Apr 30, 2009
It is much easier to leave one's mark on the world by destroying or killing something than it is by saving or creating something. A couple loser jerks with no meaning or purpose in their lives are feeling rather important and famous this evening, and might even celebrate their accomplishment with some alcohol while driving.

BTW Rob, it is also easier to spew stupidity than to build a house. You are probably feeling rather important and famous this evening, too; please don't drive.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#12 Apr 30, 2009
I agree with not publishing a pic of the tree. Why advertise and encourage their success?
Lucas Davenport

Kilkenny, MN

#13 Apr 30, 2009
The tree is lost forever!

I am 42 years old...and I hope that one day I will invent a way to create new trees. Imagine such a place: how wonderful.

Since: Jan 09

MN

#14 Apr 30, 2009
The National Register of Historic Trees? Are they serious?

"Here stands a tree that's only been here for a few years. People honk at it as they drive by, but no one really knows why."
wowZer

Plymouth, MN

#15 Apr 30, 2009
Save the last honk for me baby!
Vikings Fan

Rochester, MN

#16 Apr 30, 2009
According to a local Duluth DFL official George Bush was seen running from the scene with a still running stihl chainsaw. Go Vikings!
FangoDudeThing

Plymouth, MN

#17 Apr 30, 2009
Any neighbor within honking distance should be investigated. This is a serious crime against treemanity!! If found, they should be prosecuted in the court of the Flora!
Auntie Smedley

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Apr 30, 2009
This reminds me of the jerks who destroyed the "Devil's Chair" rock formation on the St. Croix. A regional landmark for gawd knows how long, and in one instant it's gone.

How sad is it that the only way some people are apparently able to validate their existence is by destroying things that other people enjoy.

[Expletive deleted}
John T

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Apr 30, 2009
Honking at a tree is probably the dumbest thing I've heard of in a long time. Hello?? Infuriated neighbors.
Stanley

Minnetonka, MN

#20 Apr 30, 2009
Vikings Fan wrote:
According to a local Duluth DFL official George Bush was seen running from the scene with a still running stihl chainsaw. Go Vikings!
Every post you type Go Vikings. How lame.
Capitalist

North Branch, MN

#21 Apr 30, 2009
Lucas Davenport wrote:
The tree is lost forever!
I am 42 years old...and I hope that one day I will invent a way to create new trees. Imagine such a place: how wonderful.
Seriously? You might be surprised, but they came up with this neat process a few years ago. It's called... "planting".

I truly hope you were joking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Two Harbors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Buuuuuur..... Jan 1 Dildoswagons 1
Al Franken Step Down Nov '17 The Republican 1
News 50 employees fired after refusing flu shot Nov '17 BB Board 1
News Itasca County hospice volunteer resists flu sho... Nov '17 Just Quit 2
Robert Allen DeAngelis Oct '17 Zippy 2
News Former Duluth sauna owner found competent to fa... (Nov '09) Oct '17 That one girl 19
News 28-year-old Two Harbors man held in Megan Ashle... (Dec '07) Oct '17 Iwanttostayunknown 26

Two Harbors Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Two Harbors Mortgages