Lower workers' comp rates? | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

He is not yet halfway through his first year as Ohio's governor, but John Kasich has already proposed a reduction in workers' compensation insurance rates for the state's employers.
Comments
21 - 36 of 36 Comments Last updated Apr 30, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 11

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

Sad wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who owns a business in Ohio understands the inefficient and corrupt BWC. It has been run by the union slugs and there time is up, The Gov has lifted the rock and we are seeing the slugs squeal and run. Almost EVERY state allows business to use private insurance companies to handle workers comp, but the union slugs want to control it here, so the slugs pay corrupt money to elect DUMOCRATS who support the union slugs.
The result is business doesn't want to come or stay in Ohio. Get rid of the slugs and reform WBC and Ohio will work again.
So you're from Wisconsin, eh? You must be Scottie Walker's lap dog by the way you talk.
HUH

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

Your fearmongering melodrama is out of place in today's business arena. It is not the 1920's, the unions of today are similar to the businesses you rail against, they are out for profit and the big bosses benefit at the cost of the little guy/gal (the workers). It is tiresome to hear unions expounding the virtues of what they did "back then." How typical to rest on their laurels, but what have they done recently? The government has stepped in and filled the role of employee protector as far as safety, child labor, minimum wage, and the other main areas that the unions were originally formed for. While I appreciate the history of the unions, and what they did to advance the rights of workers, their time has past.
JobsforOhio wrote:
<quoted text>
Union "slugs" are the reason you have the good life you live. Unions fighted for protection for workers hurt on the job. Workers comp is needed to continue where its at or more. Kasuck is only going to give the tax cuts to his buddies on wall street. When your hurt on the job families and children will starve with the cuts to workers comp. Recall kasuck!!!!!
Barb

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

That would be nice, especially to offset the probability that Ohio , Like many other states beset with high unemployment rates, may well increase the premiums for unemployment taxes due to high and extended payouts over the last 2-3 yrs.
mark

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

I'm a pharmacist at a chain who sees a lot of abuse by the workers comp set. Many, not all, abuse the system and many use it a a free method to fund their pain pill addictions. It's time that it is reigned in.
Cartman

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

PSL_Holder wrote:
Privatize workers comp in Ohio. We also have operations in KY and IN and in both those states we get lower rates and our insurance company just signs us up for a private policy. If it will work there it will work here.
And the private company saves money by telling a double amputee they don't have a legitimate claim. With a dozen lawyers on retainer the big companies can tie things up in court for years- and they do. For every slacker you can point to there is a worker injured on the job who is not given any consideration at all.
we we

Fredericktown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

just listening wrote:
Big deal. If you can't work take what the State can offer and apply for social security disability benefits and move on.
If you get something from the state you don't get ssd.I know this for certain.
Rob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

TomSawyer wrote:
I think like only 2 or 3 states still have their BWC controlled by the state and Ohio is one of them. Why is that? 47 other states can't be that wrong. Privatize the Ohio BWC and the state will save millions, probably billions.
Hey Tom Sawyer, how about educating yourself before you speak. Of the 50 states only 7 of them were run by State Government. The other 43 never were. There are 4 of the original 7 left with Ohio being one of those. To clue you in the 3 that have been privatized were all changed because they were losing money and were in debt. The Ohio BWC is actually the most financially secure fund of all of them. There is much room for improvement, but no need for privatization. One further point of clarification, the BWC receives NO TAXPAYER MONEY! NONE! They are not part of the General Revenue Fund, they are self sustaining. BWC is funded soley by Employer Premiums. Privatizing will save the State nothing, and could in fact cost Employers much more in their premiums.
Sam

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

instine wrote:
know whos going to get screwed on this one,the hurt worker & fam.i wondered how long before ol ksucker took food from the kids.
No changes in benefits. The reduction was possible due to better return on investment. You just cannot accept anything good for Ohio!!!
Bodie

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

How long does it take to move to Texas ? One day ?
Three at the most depending on how muych stuff you've got. "Moving To Texas" we've taken up a collection to pay for the Uhaul (Any size) and the liquid cold (gasoline)??? Please hit the road.
Only the Facts Please

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

WRONG INFO! When everything was settled with Noe and the coins were auctioned off the State got back more than the money invested with Noe. I think the Plain Dealer and Toledo Blade forgot to put that on the front page when it happened. Nice try spreading false info. The truth will set you free.
Supressed wrote:
<quoted text> Anyone care to remember back when the Republican(corrupt governor)Bob Taft and his crooked cronies stole from BWC? Tom Noe and the "coingate" scandal ring a bell for any of you loyal Republican lemmings? Less than 3/4 of the states money was ever recovered. And you fools think that this Republican crook is going to do any better? If so, I have ocean-front property on Lake Erie for sale.
ohioaz

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

Bodie wrote:
How long does it take to move to Texas ? One day ?
Three at the most depending on how muych stuff you've got. "Moving To Texas" we've taken up a collection to pay for the Uhaul (Any size) and the liquid cold (gasoline)??? Please hit the road.
Bodie, we have taken up a collection and are sending you on a trip along with Obama on Air Force One....oh sorry we shouldn't have to pay we have already paid more than our fair share.. Hit the road Jack, and don't come back, no more no more, hit the road Jack, be ready to leave now!
mommyx2

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

allalike wrote:
<quoted text>
The end result will be that people will be able to get a job if they want one.
What we need to do his get all the lazy people off workers comp that are more able to work than you and me, but thanks to all the phony doctors they continue to collect disability payments.
I truely think you would be singing a different song if you or a spouse were to be injured while working, and not able to pay for the medical bills, food or utilities. Although I agree there are some who take advantage of BWC, there are also people with legitimate claims.
mommyx2

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

TomSawyer wrote:
I think like only 2 or 3 states still have their BWC controlled by the state and Ohio is one of them. Why is that? 47 other states can't be that wrong. Privatize the Ohio BWC and the state will save millions, probably billions.
Actually, business owners are the ones who "fund" workers comp. Businesses cannot have employees if they dont pay into workers comp, the state has nothing invested in it.
BusinessOwner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2011

When it died, the Delphi Plant on Georgesville Rd. had two workers on "workers comp" for every one that was employed. Workers comp is a fraud on businesses. Believe me - I see the claims and it is shyster after shyster after shyster looking to loot the system so they can sit at home and drink all day. Workers comp costs are one of the main reasons businesses flee Ohio. The entire system needs to be scrapped before every male in Southern Ohio is on it. Of all the welfare programs, Workers Comp is the most abused, and in my opinion, the least needed.
BusinessOwner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2011

mommyx2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I truely think you would be singing a different song if you or a spouse were to be injured while working, and not able to pay for the medical bills, food or utilities. Although I agree there are some who take advantage of BWC, there are also people with legitimate claims.
I doubt that 1 in 50 claims are legit. The system is a JOB KILLER and it needs to be eliminated.
injured worker

Kent, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2011

Judged:

The Bureau of Workers Comp is a huge corrupt organization! The hearing officers have no education of anatomy and physiology and how people get injured! One Hearing officer didn't understand how inhaling lead dust it got in the blood!She was an overpaid pay to play worker with no compassion and no common sense!It took a lawyer and common pleas court to get paid for public service on the Job injury!
Some of the doctors are the worst of the worst!
Why no SB5 pay and budget cuts for them!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Twinsburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Twinsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••