Americans Jailed in Haiti Plead for H...

Americans Jailed in Haiti Plead for Help From U.S.

There are 64 comments on the New York Times story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Americans Jailed in Haiti Plead for Help From U.S.. In it, New York Times reports that:

The 10 Americans detained on kidnapping charges are pleading for the United States government to do more on their behalf and for the news media to focus on them less.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Homosapien ”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#1 Feb 10, 2010
They went there to play God, not to help. If they were there to help they would have respected the laws of the land and the sanctity of families.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#2 Feb 11, 2010
It is hard feeling sorry for these dumbasses. The government did not help get them into this mess so the government should not help get them out.
John

Ava, MO

#3 Feb 11, 2010
Typical responses of godless Americans, they will help the ungodly elsewhere but even without the facts turn their back on their own when they should be standing behind them.
Curtis Lowe

Montgomery, AL

#4 Feb 11, 2010
I usually support people who seem to be doing the right thing, but these goofballs need to spend a few years in a Hatian prison for the crime of idiocy. This goes into the "What the hell were they thinking" category.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#6 Feb 11, 2010
I wonder if they were "mirandized," or if Eric cockHolder is even worried about it. He is probably too busy giving foreign terrorists the rights that have been taken away from these Americans abroad.
Captain of Industry

United States

#7 Feb 11, 2010
They shouldn't have been detained in the first place. Those kids would have been better of here in America then that crap hole Haiti.
IGAVEU

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#8 Feb 11, 2010
When anyone tries to cross borders of any country illegaly they should sit in jail awhile.They was breaking the law and dont forget Kidnapping and Human Smuggling.They will probably be released is my guess.I want smuggle a pretty 16 year old from Haiti and see what happens.LOL they would Crucify me.Americans think they are above another countrys law.I hope they keep them in jail a very long time!
Captain of Industry

United States

#9 Feb 11, 2010
IGAVEU wrote:
When anyone tries to cross borders of any country illegaly they should sit in jail awhile.They was breaking the law and dont forget Kidnapping and Human Smuggling.They will probably be released is my guess.I want smuggle a pretty 16 year old from Haiti and see what happens.LOL they would Crucify me.Americans think they are above another countrys law.I hope they keep them in jail a very long time!
We are above and beyond all other countries.

“Sweetromance's News ”

Since: May 09

Dayton Oh

#10 Feb 11, 2010
IGAVEU wrote:
What smuggling, no reports of false floorboards. Good thing they have an opportunity to go before a Haitian Judge who disagrees with you.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Feb 11, 2010
John wrote:
Typical responses of godless Americans, they will help the ungodly elsewhere but even without the facts turn their back on their own when they should be standing behind them.
Oh you uber "Christians" always sound so sweet about your xrist centered" malfeasances and hypocrisies. Except the leaders of this human trafficking fer jesus expedition have all sorts of prior shady, financial scams and dealings back in their home turf in the states.

Wonder how much their "adoption fees" were going to be?
Captain of Industry

United States

#12 Feb 11, 2010
writewingproxycontin wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you uber "Christians" always sound so sweet about your xrist centered" malfeasances and hypocrisies. Except the leaders of this human trafficking fer jesus expedition have all sorts of prior shady, financial scams and dealings back in their home turf in the states.
Wonder how much their "adoption fees" were going to be?
This wasn't human trafficing, this was improving the lives of those children, by taking away from a festering third world hell hole that was falling apart around them.

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Feb 11, 2010
Captain of Industry wrote:
<quoted text>
This wasn't human trafficing, this was improving the lives of those children, by taking away from a festering third world hell hole that was falling apart around them.
No cretin, when you have scam artists (you obviously haven't been following the background of these "Christians") transporting children illegally across national borders it's human trafficking.

It doesn't matter if jaysus told you to do it or not, you need the appropriate paperwork before taking off with some kids, orphans or not. There's no jaysus exception to human trafficking.
Captain of Industry

United States

#14 Feb 11, 2010
<quoted text>
No cretin, when you have scam artists (you obviously haven't been following the background of these "Christians") transporting children illegally across national borders it's human trafficking.
It doesn't matter if jaysus told you to do it or not, you need the appropriate paperwork before taking off with some kids, orphans or not. There's no jaysus exception to human trafficking.
Their religion doesn't matter to me. They were bringing those children to a better life in the best nation on earth. The children's parents were most likely dead and they would be better off with loving parents who can provide them with education, and opportunity they could not find in Haiti.

“Sweetromance's News ”

Dayton Oh

#15 Feb 11, 2010
<quoted text>
Suppose you tried to do something or go somewhere. You set about getting together the required paperwork. After doing the best you can under unusual circumstances you proceed. When you arrive at the place where you are to present your paperwork. Ah but lo and behold you missed something and it's significant enough to stop your participation. Most of us would simply return with the required paperwork and all is well. Suppose instead you are immediately presumed to be perpetrating a fraud. Now you'll never get the required paperwork...cause you're in jail. Bet you wouldn't be so judgemental then. Moot point though since it looks like a Haitian Judge has decided they aren't traffickers, and should be released.

“Homosapien ”

Minneapolis

#16 Feb 11, 2010
They shouldn't have been detained in the first place. Those kids would have been better of here in America then that crap hole Haiti.
So they could have become illegal aliens in the U.S.A.? Brought over by a group that hadn't even become an non-profit and had no experience running an orphanage. These people were not smart enough to follow the law, they wouldn't have been smart enough to take care of the kids.

“Sweetromance's News ”

Dayton Oh

#17 Feb 11, 2010
mixed wrote:
<quoted text>
So they could have become illegal aliens in the U.S.A.? Brought over by a group that hadn't even become an non-profit and had no experience running an orphanage. These people were not smart enough to follow the law, they wouldn't have been smart enough to take care of the kids.
She had been in the process of building an orphanage in the Dominican Republic. There is no evidence that they ever intended anyone to enter this country illegally.
IGAVEU

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#18 Feb 11, 2010
sweetromance2 wrote:
<quoted text>
What smuggling, no reports of false floorboards. Good thing they have an opportunity to go before a Haitian Judge who disagrees with you.
Smuggling Human is Human Trafficing that is illegal.We scream about mexicans coming why do you people want the Haitians now.Was you ever in Mexico.Let all the illegals come in then.Its tough in all those places.

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Feb 11, 2010
<quoted text>
Their religion doesn't matter to me. They were bringing those children to a better life in the best nation on earth. The children's parents were most likely dead and they would be better off with loving parents....
1. No, the "Christian" thing is paramount to the defenders of these lawbreakers. Christers' sht apparently just doesn't smell. Sadly you're ignorant of the financial history of the leaders of this trafficking group. It was in the news.
2. "Best nation on earth" smacks of xenophobia. By measures of quality of life, for example, most countries in northern Europe are the best nations on earth.
3. No, you are not informed. After the initial reports it came out that most of the childrens' parents were alive.

The key thing is that "good intentions" don't give some buybull thumpers carte blanche over the law. And after the loons were stopped at the border the kids went to a facility for care in Haiti where their needs were met. You could look it up on democracynow's website, but you won't because you haven't made any effort to follow the story in detail so far. But you have an opinion!

“Homosapien ”

Minneapolis

#20 Feb 11, 2010
sweetromance2 wrote:
<quoted text>
She had been in the process of building an orphanage in the Dominican Republic. There is no evidence that they ever intended anyone to enter this country illegally.
So they would have been illegal aliens in the Dominican Republic instead, that is such an improvement.

Philadelphia, PA

#21 Feb 11, 2010
sweetromance2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, dissembler: That would still involve taking children out of one country without authorization. It was already illegal.

The general supposition was from the fundies' initial claims, from the coverage, and from the apologists on this board is that the kids were headed for the US.

We don't let strangers wander off with children just because you fundies think other fundies are automatically above the law and beyond having their background or actual motivations vetted. Again, the backgrounds of the organizers is rife with questionable financial dealings. Look it up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Twin Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
judge thomas borreson Oct 28 Jack 22
News Child Sexual Assault Cover-up in Idaho (Jul '16) Oct 23 anonz 15
Jerome valley co-op car wash Sep '17 Jeanne 1
News Man asleep in running car with child in backseat (Mar '16) Aug '17 Blondie 4
Burger King - food poisoning (Oct '08) Aug '17 Grammer 163
That one Place BBQ and Grill (Feb '17) Jun '17 Tim 3
News Drowning Victim's Body Recovered From Lake. (Jan '07) May '17 None 14

Twin Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Twin Falls Mortgages