Parents Buy Drinks for Party, Student...

Parents Buy Drinks for Party, Student Dies in Crash

There are 2879 comments on the News 9 Oklahoma City story from Jan 23, 2009, titled Parents Buy Drinks for Party, Student Dies in Crash. In it, News 9 Oklahoma City reports that:

Two parents of a Tuttle High School student confessed Friday to purchasing $86 worth of alcohol, supplying it to minors attending a party that's to blame for the death of high school cheerleader Kaitlyn Mounce.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News 9 Oklahoma City.

First Prev
of 144
Next Last
bcj

Kingfisher, OK

#1 Jan 23, 2009
wow
Tuttle parent

United States

#2 Jan 23, 2009
How about getting the story correct for once media! The driver of the truck, lance Davis, is NOT a tuttle high student! He goes to bridge creek (when he goes). He doesn't live at home with his parents either. Not the first time he has been in trouble either!

The "parents" that purchased the liquor were the parents of lance davis' friend, tim kyle. The kids were at the Kyle's home in bridge creek to play pool. The kyle's went to buy the liquor that night came back and started serving it to the minors. Not beer but hard liquor! The teen killed didn't drink one drop and repeatedly asked to be taken home.

The kyle's were idiots to serve alcohol to be the "cool" parents! They were even Bigger idiots to let their sons friend lance drive away from their home with 3 scared 15 year old girls.

I pray they prosecute these people to the full letter of the law. They are animals and deserve to be put in a cage!
linda

Stillwater, OK

#3 Jan 24, 2009
to the family of kaitlyn may you find peace and i am sorry for your lost
Granny

Kingston, OK

#4 Jan 24, 2009
Maybe these parents who want to be "cool" can be "cool" in prison.
gdk

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Jan 24, 2009
I hope everyone learns something from this!!!! Drinking and driving NEVER a good idea and to provide alcohol to minors is incredibly STUPID and Criminal.
To Kaitlyn's family and friends, I am so sorry for your loss.
sad parent

Kingfisher, OK

#6 Jan 24, 2009
No matter how you look at this, it is extremely sad.
Sad that 43 and 38 year old "adults" could ever think that it is "cool" or even close to the right thing to do to serve alcohol to minors. Sad that anyone was allowed to leave their house after being served alcohol. Sad that Lance made the terrible decision to drink and drive. Sad that three young ladies snuck out and were anywhere but home in their beds at 4am. Sad that they didn't call at least ONE of their parents (from the cell phones they had) and ask to be picked up and taken home by someone other than a drunk 16 yr old boy.
Sad that several bad decisions, starting and (in my opinion) should mostly be blamed on the decision to ever serve alcohol to minors.
Kaitlyn was truly a GOOD girl and I can only pray that SOMEONE learns a lesson from her tragic death.
Attorney father

Yukon, OK

#7 Jan 24, 2009
A truly tragic circumstance for everyone concerned. I struggle being the bad guy with my teens all the time because I butt into their business and want to know where they are at, who they are with, and what they are doing. They are in trouble if they dont answer the cell phone when we call. We hate having to do this and do it as diplomatically as possible. Tragic stories like this validate what we do. Teens dont need adult parents to be buddies, they need them to show love, guidance and responsibilty so that when they do fall on thier face, and they will, hopefully no one gets hurt. Thoughts and prayers to all families involved.
Chris

Oklahoma City, OK

#8 Jan 24, 2009
wow, what retardds those parents are. throw the book at them and knock some scence into them. I also agree with Attorney father, parents should not be the friends of their kids. that is why kids have their own friends. Its our job as parents to ensure they will be safe and secure in their activities, and help them learn from experience, not to be their friends. i personally dont care if I become the "cool parent" or not, as a father, thats NOT my job.
concerned citizen

Yukon, OK

#11 Jan 24, 2009
This is my first time to enter into a conversation on such a topic. I know only what I have read and saw on TV. Where were the parents of 3 young girls? I raised 3 children and am a grandmother now. I always knew where my kids were, knew if they were home in bed, never had to go look in their rooms. My kids were not saints, but they never got in any trouble, were taught there were consequences for their actions. Parents now, are so consumed with their kids "fitting in", they have no concept of what parenting entails. Any parent who would buy, serve and condone drinking of underage kids, have a life to deal with the consequences of their actions, SHAME ON YOU, THE LAWS WILL DEAL WITH U, BUT ULTIMATELY GOD WILL NAME YOUR FATE.
Concerned Citizen

Muskogee, OK

#12 Jan 25, 2009
Yes Shame on the parents for buying the kids alcohol. A precious life was lost and lives for all involved have been changed forever, including the 16 yr old driver. About the 16 yr old driver, I have not seen one thing about a toxicology report and in web searches, he has been on the honor rolls. This is tragic for everyone involved. This kid was 16 and even sober, most kids his age have wrecks and misjudge. It is my feeling that the parents who are now on the run should have as much if not more accountablity to this tragic accident. At least the driver turned himself in to authorities and is taking responsiblity.
HeresAHope

Crescent, OK

#13 Jan 25, 2009
It is very sad that someone so young had to die. And it is also very sad about the "parents" that decied to be the "the cool parents" and supply the alcohol the the minors. When it's something like that, your better off to be the "uncool" parents.
tuttle freshman

Kingfisher, OK

#14 Jan 25, 2009
I am a friend of Kaitlyn's here at Tuttle. This shouldn't of happened!!! This all could of been avoided if they had been in bed at home. I am truely sorry for her father Keith her mother Shari and her three brothers Noah,Blake,and Logan they were really hurt at the funeral. There wasn't a better friend than Kaitlyn my brother and her were really close friends and i cry everytime i think about how her family is taking this all in. Like i said i'm truely sorry for her family and the rest of her friends.
A friend

Kingfisher, OK

#15 Jan 25, 2009
concerned citizen wrote:
This is my first time to enter into a conversation on such a topic. I know only what I have read and saw on TV. Where were the parents of 3 young girls? I raised 3 children and am a grandmother now. I always knew where my kids were, knew if they were home in bed, never had to go look in their rooms. My kids were not saints, but they never got in any trouble, were taught there were consequences for their actions. Parents now, are so consumed with their kids "fitting in", they have no concept of what parenting entails. Any parent who would buy, serve and condone drinking of underage kids, have a life to deal with the consequences of their actions, SHAME ON YOU, THE LAWS WILL DEAL WITH U, BUT ULTIMATELY GOD WILL NAME YOUR FATE.
i agree but the 3 girls u ask about spent the night at 1 of the girls house and then snuck out (just rumors so don't take my word for it)
tuttle 6th grader

Kingfisher, OK

#16 Jan 25, 2009
i am truely sorry for your loss. My dad and i talked about kaitlyn on our way home from the funeral and he told the words that i will think about for the rest of my life when i think about kaitlyn. He told me that "Kaitlyn could have saved 100 lives for all we know from what happened" and if Keith,Shari,Noah,Blake,or even,Logan read this i want you to know that your daughter and little sister was and still is My hero!!!!!!
Rachel

Norman, OK

#17 Jan 25, 2009
Ya it is STUPID for them to give them beer are whatever they gave them but it dont matter it is still tha fact they gave it to 15 and 16 years old kids that!!!!But i really dont think lance should be put in jail ya it was stupid for him to drink and drive but he should not be thrown in jail!!Lance does go to my school bridge creek high school and just cuz he goes to my school does not mean i am going to forget about what he did=(..to the mounces family i am really sorry for what happened i have known this girl for 4 years and i have known u for 4 years to i know kaitlyn was your everything but i am really sorry for what happen i love u guys!!!!!!
shari

AOL

#18 Jan 25, 2009
This is my precious daughter you are talking about. And yes, she did not drink and yes she asked to go home plenty of times and no one would take her. She was very scared and wanted to go home. I do not think she could get reception on her phone out in bridgecreek. She was not one to sneek out. I will never forgive myself for letting her spend the night with her friend. had i known there were going to be more than just the two girls. I would not havelet her go. Our hearts are breaking and if anyone knows where these parents are that are running - please call the police. The are only looking at 9 years and my poor baby girl, who only wanted to come home and knew what a mistake she had made to go with them, will be missed forever I want everyone to know that the two Kaitlyns were not the type of girls to sneak out and they did not drink and when they got talked into going, all they wanted to do was come home.
Confused

Edmond, OK

#19 Jan 25, 2009
Putting the blame on a 16 year old boy is terrible. He alone "talked" all of these girls into sneaking out? Rrriiigghhhtt! If they did not want to go they wouldnt have been there. I know that when I was 15 nobody had to drag me to a party. And if it is true that the girls were begging to go home what was he supposed to do? The girls chose not to call their parents to come get them so he made a judgment call. Yes it was a bad one, but he did what they wanted him to. I do not think that a 16 year old boy was or should be held responsible for these 15 year old girls...I think that is their parents role. And who cares if he was on the honor role or if he had dropped out of school? That does not make a damn bit of difference.
Danielle of El Reno

Bloomington, IL

#20 Jan 26, 2009
Mounce family, I am very sadden that this has happened to your family, may your hearts be happy with the wonderful memories of your daughter. I know it is hard and I can't imagine losing my 2 boys but please don't dwell on your lose, Live your lose, honor her, be happy she is with our heavenly father and peaceful. I'm sure she would want that! For the parents who wanted to be "COOL", shame on them and they should be punished. The boy that was driving should be punished as well he CHOSE to DRINK AND DRIVE. Even thought my boys are 7 and 3 we have told them right from worng and we will continue to do so even when thier grown and have a family of there own. Parents: like many have said through out this letter, being the COOL parent isnt what we're here to do, teaching our young ones right from wrong and responsibiltes is what we are here to do, we can be cool and be responsible PARENTS at the sametime.

Again to all the families of this tragic accident, may those who survived learn a lesson and make a full recovery and Mounce Family live for her, don't die with her. God bless you all.
parent that cares

United States

#21 Jan 26, 2009
GOD bless all involved
TLMOOMEY

Harrah, OK

#22 Jan 26, 2009
So sorry for your loss. I can not imgaine lossing either one of our daughters. The "COOL" parents should put their self in your shoes. How would they feel if their son was killed by a drunk driver?

Please keep God first-He will get you through this loss but, only if you allow him to

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 144
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tuttle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two Oklahoma cities among 11 to fail LGBTQ equa... 6 hr Okie 27
playhouse strip club girl named star or somethi... (Feb '11) 15 hr curiosity 33
News Real estate briefs from The Oklahoman for April... 16 hr extortandimprison 1
News Sanctuary cities standoff sidetracks OKC police... 16 hr i r smart 2
News Police academy graduates 26 16 hr i r smart 7
News Morning Bell: Why this schools stayed open duri... 17 hr i r smart 3
News Police investigating burglary of Oklahoma City ... Fri threescompany 1

Tuttle Jobs

Personal Finance

Tuttle Mortgages