Stimulus Money Makes Energy System Sm...

Stimulus Money Makes Energy System Smarter

There are 22 comments on the Oklahoma Impact Team story from Sep 16, 2010, titled Stimulus Money Makes Energy System Smarter. In it, Oklahoma Impact Team reports that:

A $130 million federal grant will go toward smart meters and infrastructure for OG&E's 700,000 customers in Oklahoma.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oklahoma Impact Team.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Melody Johnson

United States

#2 Sep 16, 2010
Your story was interesting but not complete! What is not being said about this stimulus money is that it directly eliminates approximately 250 jobs company wide in the positions of Fieldman, Meter Readers and clerical positions. These 250 Oklahomans have been told to find another job within the company, however there are not 250 jobs available in the company. Also, the 72 new jobs that you reported have been created are NOT Oklahomans! The company contracted to install the Smart Meters is from Canada and brought in their own people from out of state. This also eliminates ALL personal contact with the company. Please investigate further! I would love to see someone talk to the men and women that this is directly affecting within the company. I would also like to hear OGE make a commitment to their employees - some who have been with the company for 30 plus years!
commonsense

Pauls Valley, OK

#3 Sep 16, 2010
Why isn't current the same price day to day, day in and day out? It should cost the same no matter what.
What is it the stock market of electricity now? Sure we have a smart meter thru another company and it has been complained about repeatedly through out the U.S. sounds good on paper, looks good on paper but that doesn't mean it is good! Thank you M J for pointing out some truth here.
Grumpy

United States

#4 Sep 17, 2010
I have the smart meter on my home and if anything the bill has gone up.($497.00 last month) The only advantage I see is the meter reader can read the meter from outside the fence and does not get the chance to kill my dog!(Yeah, I know it was ONG)
Amy Lester

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Sep 17, 2010
You can choose to be on a plan that charges differently for use during peak or non-peak hours during the summer. So, your price would be higher, most likely, from 2-7 PM. You pay for what you use, when you use it, at the current price. Anyone can choose to go on that plan, instead of the average price plan that most people are on currently.
OGE detracter

Guthrie, OK

#6 Sep 17, 2010
Instead of spending TV resources attacking a chairety, why don't you question OG&E business practices. They spend big bucks for lawyers to fight the Corperation. They also spend big bucks on campaign contributions. Maybe if they used some of the money from these and other wastefull spending the customer would not have to pay for the smart meter. The real purpose of smart meters is to reduce the need for more generating capacity. Saving customer money, after they pay for tne meters is a side effect.
nonsence

Montgomery, AL

#7 Sep 17, 2010
This sounds like a really good plan. The question is, is the government going to get involved and start telling American citizens how much and when they can use electricity they are paying for and claim it would be the "green thing" to do in order to help with greenhouse emissions. I fell this will happen in the long run.
tired of it

Macomb, OK

#8 Sep 17, 2010
nonsence wrote:
This sounds like a really good plan. The question is, is the government going to get involved and start telling American citizens how much and when they can use electricity they are paying for and claim it would be the "green thing" to do in order to help with greenhouse emissions. I fell this will happen in the long run.
You are on the right track.
Along with these "Smart Meters" there is "Smart Apliances".
The meters are the first step in the chain. Once all these start comunicating/broadcasting your electricty usage. They will know how long you have your AC/heat on. If it shows it is not set above 75 for AC or below 80 on heat you will be taxed or rated accordingly.
Smart TV will tell how long the TV is on. You will get an entertainment tax.
Another thing is if your house is useing more power then the homes in a certain area? Your rates will be adjusted at a higher rate. They could have done this before with the old meters. But it would have taken more time and people to do it.
Now they can eliminate jobs and still do it.
If you have a high electric bill over time these smart appliances will tell what was useing the power. If it shows your central air was the culprit? You will be told to insulate your house or be fined on top of the higher rates.
It's mostly about government control and new ways to tax.
farmerbyron

Purcell, OK

#9 Sep 17, 2010
tired of it wrote:
<quoted text>
You are on the right track.
Along with these "Smart Meters" there is "Smart Apliances".
The meters are the first step in the chain. Once all these start comunicating/broadcasting your electricty usage. They will know how long you have your AC/heat on. If it shows it is not set above 75 for AC or below 80 on heat you will be taxed or rated accordingly.
Smart TV will tell how long the TV is on. You will get an entertainment tax.
Another thing is if your house is useing more power then the homes in a certain area? Your rates will be adjusted at a higher rate. They could have done this before with the old meters. But it would have taken more time and people to do it.
Now they can eliminate jobs and still do it.
If you have a high electric bill over time these smart appliances will tell what was useing the power. If it shows your central air was the culprit? You will be told to insulate your house or be fined on top of the higher rates.
It's mostly about government control and new ways to tax.
Kinda like this ad from last year's super bowl.

Fedup

AOL

#10 Sep 17, 2010
The stimulus money should have gone to the expansion of the electric grid and up grading the gas pipes in the ground. Remember what happen in San Bruno, CA?
This is nothing more then rationing of the gas and electric by the means of charging us by the minute (peak time) instead of the base rate of wattage or gas units used in the month.
Two years ago the state of California tried to put in this thermostat control in every home, the people of the state fought them and stop them from doing this.
If they can turn the thermostat off and on they can also control the settings.

Does anyone believe a company that is in business to make money is trying to make less of it by saving us money? It’s more like they will make more money on less usage.
Susan Rushing

AOL

#12 Sep 24, 2010
Melody Johnson wrote:
Your story was interesting but not complete! What is not being said about this stimulus money is that it directly eliminates approximately 250 jobs company wide in the positions of Fieldman, Meter Readers and clerical positions. These 250 Oklahomans have been told to find another job within the company, however there are not 250 jobs available in the company. Also, the 72 new jobs that you reported have been created are NOT Oklahomans! The company contracted to install the Smart Meters is from Canada and brought in their own people from out of state. This also eliminates ALL personal contact with the company. Please investigate further! I would love to see someone talk to the men and women that this is directly affecting within the company. I would also like to hear OGE make a commitment to their employees - some who have been with the company for 30 plus years!
I would like you to investigate further about the Oklahoma employees who are being directly effected from the smart meter program. What if the employees can't find a job within the company. OG & E is paying for the employees to get a degree but they haven't given them enough time to complete the degree before their jobs are eliminated. We need to keep the jobs in Oklahoma. Do not give the jobs to out of state or country contractors.
chsk

Kingfisher, OK

#13 Sep 24, 2010
this is not to benefit the people the only thing these meters do is give og&e more money. they can control the meters from their HQ
Shelly

Lancaster, TX

#15 Sep 29, 2010
So if this meter is so smart then how come OG&E still messes up on my electric bills? Besides, this smart meter has destroyed a lot of good paying jobs in Oklahoma! I don't mind paying for the resources I use but I wish I had another option other than a company that took federal stimulus money so that they can cut more jobs (see post below on job cutting).
commonsense

Pauls Valley, OK

#16 Oct 1, 2010
farmerbyron wrote:
<quoted text>
Kinda like this ad from last year's super bowl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zVhT7P0lDfIXX
Exactly. I forgot about that.
Elizabeth

Choctaw, OK

#17 Oct 2, 2010
Don't forget that OG&E is guaranteed to make a profit from the Corporation Commission.
So why is the Federal Government giving our hard earned tax paying money to them !?!!?!

We pay enough money to both of these blood sucking groups.
This is just another way for OG&E to get more money from us.
The new meters are more sensitive to anything that pulls energy.
Every little light that stays on in your house will be metered.
Remember the little light on the TV that is either green when on or red when off..
Well guess what, that will just bring more money in for OG&E.
The older meters were not sensitive enough to meter these little lights that are on all the time in the house, your microwave, computer lights, the oven, any alarm clock and so on.
This new meter program is just another way for your taxes to pay for OG&E to get more money from you.
And the Federal Government says this is stimulus, My question is stimulus for whom.
Susan

Choctaw, OK

#18 Oct 25, 2010
OG&E are getting too big for their britches. I'm sick and tired of their "blood sucking" schemes! When the first ice storm hit, we were told that the people who are handicap would be priority. When we called to report my mother's outage (who is oxygen dependent)all we got was a snotty remark "everyone is priority". Then they should not advise those that are handicap that they are priority! I understand, EVERYONE needs it, duhh!
Also..while I'm bitching, this "Watts Dog" program is just a rip off! We have paid for this service, but it doesn't cover crap. NOTHING ELECTRONIC. What?? They insure only the motors of your washer, dryers, major appliances. We have replaced 6 coffee makers, 4 microwaves, 36" flat screen television, 1 dryer panel, 1 washer panel, and the panel that runs our refrigerator.(and these are just a few off the top of my head right now...) As far as I'm concerned, they don't deserve any kind of stimulus..they get enough right now from hard working people!
Bobby D

Mustang, OK

#19 Jul 21, 2012
OGE detracter wrote:
Instead of spending TV resources attacking a chairety, why don't you question OG&E business practices. They spend big bucks for lawyers to fight the Corperation. They also spend big bucks on campaign contributions. Maybe if they used some of the money from these and other wastefull spending the customer would not have to pay for the smart meter. The real purpose of smart meters is to reduce the need for more generating capacity. Saving customer money, after they pay for tne meters is a side effect.
O.K., well, first of all the "Smart Meters" everyone is talking about here were paid for by yourselves.....not on your electric bill, no, your tax dollars. Yes, OG&E received stimulus money from Obama to buy your electric meters. Yes, 130 million dollars of your TAX dollars was given to OG&E to buy these meters....and eliminate 250 OG&E employees....and their trucks....and their benefits.....and their abilities to help the line department after the storms hit us.....gone ! Oh, yes, this Obama guy is really helping you out isn't he. Smart meters won't curtail rates or perform any other forms of "magic" at your home or place of business. Generation capacity of OG&E is a "non issue" because they are in a pact with other utilities whereby they can "wheel" power from another member of the pact at a cost far lower than their peak demand charges would otherwise be. How ? simple, co-members of the pact don't use fossil fuel for generation. When another co-member of the pact is generating power (during PEAK) utilizing water "OR" atomic power the cost to OG&E is way less than their own generating costs. OG&E then "wheels" some of their own power to co-ops at RIP-OFF rates (during PEAK) and continue to roll in the big bucks. Don't get suckered into using the OG&E smart hour program....you won't win....or be comfortable w/o your a/c during PEAK usuage. Want to beat them at their own game ? Turn your deep freeze off in the summer and only use what space the refrigerator has. Wash clothing in cold water and, yes, hang them out to dry for FREE. Have that A.C. tuned up every year by a pro to see that it is at optimum efficiency....and if it's an old turd buy a High Efficiency A.C. with a SEER of 14 (minimum) and cut your cooling bill in half.
pappy

Flower Mound, TX

#20 Jul 21, 2012
The usualy happens to thsoe that do not find a job inside the company---simple answer is simple----he ends up unemployeed, and no job. As for down here in texas My Electric Company got bought out by a corporate raider, siomilar to BAIN CAPIT. AFTER BUYING THE COMPANY THE VALUE WENT DOWN ---WE ARE THREATENED WITH ROLLING BLACK OUTS OF WHICH HAVE ALREADY HAPPPENED. sO OUR pUBLIC uTILITY cOMMISSION GAVE THEM A 50 PERCENT RAISE IN THE WHOLESALE PRICE. wHIC MEANS THAT OUR BILLS WILL GO UP 50 PERCENT OR MORE PROBALBY. aS FOR THE ELECTRIC RATES AND THE METERS, THE METERS NOW CAN FOCUS ON TEH PEAK RATES CHARGED AND THAT MAKES YOU BILL GO UP. tHE GENERATING PLANTS CNA EVEN HOLD ELECTRICTY OFF THE GROD TILL THEY GET THE DEMANT PRICE OF PEAK DEMAND AND DRIVE THE LECTRIC BILL UP ANOTHER WAY. AND THAT SMART METER READS THE JUICE FLOWING IINTO YOUR HOUSE. REMEMBER THE eRON MAGIC MARKER WHEN THE ELCTRICITYWAS HELD OFF THE GIRD FROM cALIFORNIA. pUT ALIFORNIA IN AN ELECTRIC CRISIS. aND ALSO ROLLING BLACK OUTS MANIPULATED BY ENRON. mY ELECTRIC BILL FROM 2007 WAS 67 $$$$ IT HAS NOW GONE UP TO THE PRICE OF $259.00 IN JUNE OF 2009. and that does not include the 50 percent raise in electric rates. So I can only imagine what the price willl be inthe future when in august the new whole sale price comes into effect.
pappy

Flower Mound, TX

#21 Jul 21, 2012
So folks the electric company has just figured out a new way to screw its customer once agin in a new way. IN TEXAS teh Generating Companies have not built a new generating plant in about 25 years or sop. they knew what was coming and are not prepared for the future which is toral blackouts for its customers. Has your electric company buolt any new generating plants in your states. MY electric copmpany has not even dome any upp dating in our service lines in years and years. But they do indeed charge me more for something I was paying less for n the past. Even my meter is reading higher ,giving me a higher bill each month.
pappy

Flower Mound, TX

#22 Jul 21, 2012
Another thing electric payingcustomer, teh bills should be going down as the cost to generate should be cheaper as the price of natural gas has gone down dirt cheap and the electric companies should be passing the cost on to its customers.
pappy

Flower Mound, TX

#23 Jul 21, 2012
nother thing my tate and your stte has not doem is to keep the water suppliy system up to the level to service its customers in t futre. Reason is simple no planning for building lakes for the storage of water for te futre. Has your state done any plannning for building lakes for future water storage--my state, TEXAS has been setting on its butt and has build no lakes for the future storage of water. And you probably seen what happened in the drought of 2011 and we are still n a drough effectign several states. So where is the planning at for electricity and wate storage. doyou know??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tuttle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 Suspects Connected to Robbery Ring (Jan '09) Tue dkt1961 144
News Candidate for Oklahoma state Senate has arrest ... Jun 26 soundsokay 1
News Mistake At MWC Clinic Could Require Hundreds Of... Jun 24 WOW 1
False Teacher Kenneth Copeland (Mar '08) Jun 24 Bishop Caractor 484
Dark. Jun 23 big Aj okc 3
Black gangs Jun 23 okcnow 4
News Oklahoma regulators release 'fracking' plan for... (Dec '16) Jun 23 Abc 2

Tuttle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance