Coal mines in Tuscaloosa, Al

Posted in the Tuscaloosa Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Brittany

Elkview, WV

#1 Sep 19, 2012
My husband & I are wanting to relocate, he is an experienced miner / scoop operator. How is the mining industry doing there?
Jim

West Blocton, AL

#2 Sep 24, 2012
Go somewhere else
Brittany

Elkview, WV

#3 Sep 29, 2012
Why? Are there a lot of lay offs there?
ky girl

Tucson, AZ

#4 Oct 6, 2012
he is a butt hole. affraid some of us ky people show em up lol. i moved down here in aug. i love it only thing i had to leave family back in ky. but i think they r a lot of nice people here. then u got some butt holes. jwr was hiring i work for them they r very good people to work for good luck.
Love it so far

Tuscaloosa, AL

#5 Oct 6, 2012
Well it sounds like Jim is concerned about his job...poor guy. What some dont understand is with the experience that comes from Ky it can make their job much easier! My husband has been welcomed with open arms at JWR and I dont know of anyone that doesnt like him. Although Alabama mining is different combinded with other methods of mining is not a bad idea. JWR is hiring for management as well as what we call green hat miners. It is a great opportunity!
ruth

United States

#6 Oct 17, 2012
thay aint no mines in alabama obama closed them down bout a year ago
Love it so far

Tuscaloosa, AL

#7 Oct 18, 2012
ruth wrote:
thay aint no mines in alabama obama closed them down bout a year ago
Hummmmmm Ruth not sure which Alabama you are talking about but the Alabama I am in is going strong in the Mining industry :) As a matter of fact Walter Energy is working on opening a brand new mine. I also here that Drummond is doing well too. Bless your heart Sugar sounds like you might be suffering from dementia you might wanna get that checked!
coal miners wife

United States

#8 Nov 7, 2012
Love it so far wrote:
<quoted text>
Hummmmmm Ruth not sure which Alabama you are talking about but the Alabama I am in is going strong in the Mining industry :) As a matter of fact Walter Energy is working on opening a brand new mine. I also here that Drummond is doing well too. Bless your heart Sugar sounds like you might be suffering from dementia you might wanna get that checked!
I do agree with you, Ruth has issues, BUT my husband has worked for Walter Energy for years and I don't know where you are getting your info. They have partially laid off workers, cut their hrs down to 80 hrs a month. Thank goodness he has found employment at another coal mining co. But the coal mining industry looks bleak. We don't even know how long he will have a job due to the outcome of the election. Even though not sure it would have been different even with Romney.
RockWagon

Casey, IL

#9 Nov 12, 2012
I work at the Shannon 4 pit on the Jefferson/Tuscaloosa county line. We are in the process of moving a dragline in and already have two large shovels and a fleet of 240 ton trucks at our mines . Our hours have been cut down at the moment but things seem to be looking up as they continue to bring in more equipment. We are just looking to the first of the year be hoping and praying things get better. And of course the election has everyone who has anything to do with coal worried. Just gotta hope for the best.
Love it so far

Cottondale, AL

#10 Nov 14, 2012
coal miners wife wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree with you, Ruth has issues, BUT my husband has worked for Walter Energy for years and I don't know where you are getting your info. They have partially laid off workers, cut their hrs down to 80 hrs a month. Thank goodness he has found employment at another coal mining co. But the coal mining industry looks bleak. We don't even know how long he will have a job due to the outcome of the election. Even though not sure it would have been different even with Romney.
My information comes from the fact that my husband was brought here by Walter Energy. They are now in the process of hiring more miners as well as they just put several to work a couple of weeks ago. So not sure which mine your husband works at but as for 7 west it seems to be moving right along. I do wish the best for those that are being affected by layoffs and such right now. I can tell you that the coal mining industry is in much worse shape in many other states than it is here.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#11 Nov 26, 2012
Oh my.
Jessica

Ransom, KY

#12 Nov 27, 2012
Hmm, I just decided to get on here and read because we have heard the mining was great in Alabama.. My husband has been looking into mining jobs there and we have considered moving if possible.. Not sure what to believe now..!!
services man

Hogansville, GA

#13 Dec 9, 2012
im on the dragline road project. ther moving the dragline now. yea are hrs been cut alot. i was working 6days a week and working 12hrs a day,but now im 4 days a week and working 8 hrs a day. My wife had to go back to work. i hope are hrs will go back up,but they sent letters out to everyone that works here, on jan.21 maybe a lay off. In Jesus Name We Not!!!
coal miners wife mother

Madison, AL

#14 Mar 14, 2013
Drummond has layed off 90 more today after the layoff of 90 something last month.
Ok ok

Lebanon, KY

#15 Mar 31, 2013
For the ones that moved from ky ... What kind help did you get from the mining company to move down there
Loving it so far

Cottondale, AL

#16 Apr 8, 2013
They paid for our relocation and helped with temporary housing it was a nice relo package. So the only thing I can speak for is our family my husband works all the time most of the time 6 days a week and we love it here. The cost of living isn't bad either. So we made the best move for us.
Ok ok

Pikeville, KY

#17 Apr 11, 2013
What is the best apartments in the that area? How much does the electric bill and water cost in that area
Might relo to AL

Lexington, KY

#18 Apr 17, 2013
What are the conditions like underground compared to KY?
What is it like living in Tuscaloosa?
Loving it so far

Cottondale, AL

#19 Apr 22, 2013
We stayed in Stone Creek Apartments for the first 2 months then we bought our own home. Our electric runs about 150.00 a month and water is 30.00-40.00. It seems to be about the same as KY for us. My husband is working in high coal at the moment some places are 15 ft or so. It is wet and muddy. We love living here we live in Brookwood by choice as we wanted to live in a quiet area but are about 15 minutes from Tuscaloosa and it is really convenient for shopping and such. We are also close to Bessemer and it is nice for shopping also.
usmc 6753

Winchester, KY

#20 May 19, 2013
I am a current laid off surface miner from harlan county ky. Interested in moving to alabama and working on a surface mining operation, any information would be great. Such as rate of pay, hours worked a day, benefits. I have 14 years as a mechanic and greaser, I have my ky foreman, met, and instructor's cert. Any inform on relocation, best companies. thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tuscaloosa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alabama football Nov 30 Honestly 5
Citizens club Nov 29 Vantriesse 1
Butch and vols need help (Feb '16) Nov 29 John 2
How Do You Feel About Judge Moore's Refusal To ... (Feb '15) Nov 10 davy 70
Hunter Grissom Oct '16 Justice 1
News Two men charged with first degree burglary Sep '16 Big guy advocate 1
Venmo @Christina-Powell-10 Sep '16 Christina 1

Tuscaloosa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance