30-Minute Chase: Man shot, killed by police likely unarmed

Full story: Charlotte.com 59
A Mooresville man shot and killed during a police chase Monday likely wasn't armed, an official said Tuesday. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
wanda ross

Monroe, NC

#1 Dec 22, 2007
What a shame. The actual suspect for this police action was Andrew Ramseur, who was apprehended 4 hours later in Statesville for the double murders at the Shell gas Station on Broadstreet at 5 AM. Both suspects were young black males ages 19 and 22.
LEE

Charlotte, NC

#2 Dec 29, 2007
WANDA,
THE POLICE KNEW WHO THEY WERE SHOTING AT; HE WAS CRAZY.I HOPE PEOPLE STOP ALL THE STUPID STUFF & SUPPORT OUR POLICE. I SUPPORT THEM 100%. I'LL BET IF YOU EVER NEED THEM TO PROTECT YOU, YOU WOULD BE SUPPORTING THEM. IF YOU RUN YOU MAY DIE, I KNOW THIS AS DO ALL SANE PEOPLE.
blackcloud

United States

#3 Jan 2, 2008
And he sounded like such a upstanding citizen too. What a shame. Oh yeah, I fogot He had pending charges of felony firearm possession, resisting an officer, assaulting a government employee and assaulting a female. That's right, he was a pillar of society.

More like.... what a joke. Maybe if he hadn't rammed a Police car, maybe if he hadn't lead the Police on a chase endangerding the lives of innocent civilians and the Poilce Officers themselves. Maybe if he weren't a scourge on society. Maybe then, he wouldn't have been shot.

I just hope the Police Officers are cleared of any wrong doing so they can continue to do their jobs and keep people like this off the streets.
Emily

Charlotte, NC

#4 Jan 2, 2008
Well some of you should think about what you say.... I knew Donnell personally.... He is my 10 month old goddaughters daddy and she will never know her daddy.... and it was my bestfriends babydaddy..... Yea he made a mistake but who are any of you to judge him? So just to let you know a little about him that the news dont say.... did you know his step dad was a pastor? Or that he was raised in church? That he had a baby mom that meant more to him than any other girl? He has a 10 month old daughter that will never remember here daddy? Did you know he had a problem with drugs and that lead to some of his actions? I think before you go judging someone you dont even know you should think what your going to say... and at that my two cents would be that the police did not have to shoot and kill him... I am not saying they did not have the right to shoot... they could have shot out his tiers.... or even shot at the truck but he was shot in the face by the police and now he has a baby momma trying on here own with no help to raise his baby and a very very nice momma trying to bare with the lost of her son. RIP LARRY DONNELL PATTERSON JR.
blackcloud

United States

#5 Jan 3, 2008
What difference does it make that his stepfather was a pastor or that he was raised in a church? Apparently none since he was a criminal. He made the choices to use drugs and be a criminal. He made the choices not to stop. He got what was coming to him.

When you talk about Police shooting out the tires: watch a little less Television. It doesn't work that way. It is almost impossible to shoot out a tire with a handgun especially on a moving vehicle. Not to mention the fact that you have to worry about the bullets flying all over the place risking INNOCENT lives.

As far as this whole "babymomma" thing goes: All I can say it that it is shame that yet another child who was born to unmarried parents will have to grow up without a father. I just hope the baby's mother (the correct grammatical distinction for this woman) tells her child exactly why her father is not around (because he made bad choices).
vic marquis

Fitzgerald, GA

#6 Jan 3, 2008
it's about time our police get a break. they are always in a catch twenty two position. this man son of whatever pastor, was at fault, ran down a police car, and may have killed as he went on his rampage. kudos, mooresville police, and killing a human being must not be something a policeman gets over with very quick. we need to pray for everyone in this unfortunate situation, and stop badgering our citizen protectors.
tabby

United States

#7 Jan 7, 2008
LEE wrote:
WANDA,
THE POLICE KNEW WHO THEY WERE SHOTING AT; HE WAS CRAZY.I HOPE PEOPLE STOP ALL THE STUPID STUFF & SUPPORT OUR POLICE. I SUPPORT THEM 100%. I'LL BET IF YOU EVER NEED THEM TO PROTECT YOU, YOU WOULD BE SUPPORTING THEM. IF YOU RUN YOU MAY DIE, I KNOW THIS AS DO ALL SANE PEOPLE.
Lee, i knew donnell or as I called him Hugaboo and he was not crazy. He had the biggest heart and ALWAYS put a smile on peoples faces. Why he did waht he did that night I still don't understand but you have NO right to call one of my best friends crazy. The news didn't show how great of a friend and father to his little girl he was. And Mooresville police are not what you think they are. So before you start calling people you don't know crazy get to know the true story instead of listening to the media.
tabby

United States

#8 Jan 7, 2008
and however Blackcloud is how dare you say that he deserved what he got. did you know him? no so how about you stop watchin so much TV and think about what you are saying. it is sad when people die Period. and if you woulda seen the truck or him at the funeral then you would understand that what the police did was not right what so ever. so stop being so ignorant and don't judge a book by it's cover. he was a good man, a great friend and his family and church raised him well. he just had to do what he did. nobody is perfect and i bet you have flaws too.
blackcloud

United States

#9 Jan 7, 2008
tabby wrote:
and however Blackcloud is how dare you say that he deserved what he got. did you know him? no so how about you stop watchin so much TV and think about what you are saying. it is sad when people die Period. and if you woulda seen the truck or him at the funeral then you would understand that what the police did was not right what so ever. so stop being so ignorant and don't judge a book by it's cover. he was a good man, a great friend and his family and church raised him well. he just had to do what he did. nobody is perfect and i bet you have flaws too.
Whem a person engages in behavior that causes their own death then it is that persons fault. Apparently his family and Churh did not raise him well since he had a drug problem and was a felon.

You say he just did what he had to do? Are you serious? Let us not forget he had pending charges of felony firearm possession, resisting an officer, assaulting a government employee and assaulting a female. I guess in your world these are just things "a man's gotta do".

Well for the rest of society these are called CRIMES. When you engage in criminal behavior, sometimes you get shot dead and that's just a simple fact. You want to blame someone for his daughter having ot grow up without a father. BLAME HIM!

Yes I have flaws. Sometimes I'm running late for something or forget someone's birthday. Other times, I don't always finish something I meant to do. You see the difference between me and him is that none of my flaws are FELONIES. None of them are punishable with jail time or would make a cop want to feel like he had to shoot me.

Oh wait,I forgot, I am the ignorant person here.
tabby

United States

#10 Jan 7, 2008
well explain to me how he got shot in the face. they said they tried to tase him but the coat was too thick, so that means you can just shoot someone in the face? did you see the truck? explain that then. i'm not sayin hugaboo was a complete angel, yeah he had flaws but the police should have shot him in the arm or leg. not to kill him. and everybody has their own hustle. some people strip to make money and some sell dope. sorry that not everybody is born with a golden spoon in their mouth. and he did have a job and was wanting to go back to school. how dare you talk bad about someone that has passed away so tragic. how would you feel if his mother was to read this? and what if it would have been your son or friend? it really hurts my feelings when i hear people like you say stuff like that about him b/c there was more to him than the news said. and by you writing that you are hurting alot of people and keeping the wounds from healing.

Since: Jan 08

mooresville,nc

#11 Jan 7, 2008
tabby wrote:
well explain to me how he got shot in the face. they said they tried to tase him but the coat was too thick, so that means you can just shoot someone in the face? did you see the truck? explain that then. i'm not sayin hugaboo was a complete angel, yeah he had flaws but the police should have shot him in the arm or leg. not to kill him. and everybody has their own hustle. some people strip to make money and some sell dope. sorry that not everybody is born with a golden spoon in their mouth. and he did have a job and was wanting to go back to school. how dare you talk bad about someone that has passed away so tragic. how would you feel if his mother was to read this? and what if it would have been your son or friend? it really hurts my feelings when i hear people like you say stuff like that about him b/c there was more to him than the news said. and by you writing that you are hurting alot of people and keeping the wounds from healing.
Tabby, give it up!!!!!! He was a low down snake and had you all crawling along with him. All his good points are negated by his actions. Beleive me those are a plenty. Just pray for his soul, and stop defending a glorified bum.
blackcloud

United States

#12 Jan 8, 2008
tabby wrote:
Though it is probably a waste of time since you sound like you have no intention of actually understanding anything objectively, I'll try anyway. People need to start accepting responsibility for their own actions instead of always blaming someone else.

First off, I can't say why he was shot in the face because I, like you, was not there. Maybe that's just where the bullet went. As far as shooting him in the foot, leg, arm or wherever else you would have chosen, it just doesn't work that way unless it's on TV.

I agree that lots of people have a hustle. Stripping is legal, as is being a car salesman or a really bad housepainter. The fact that you can even refer to "selling dope" as a hustle just shows the type of person that you yourself are.

Drugs kill, period. They kill by overdose, they kill children, they poison young minds. They cause people to do things that get themselves and other people killed.

You are correct, not everyone is born with a silver spoon. As a matter of fact, most people aren't. Where I grew up, almost everyone was poor. None of my friends resorted to selling drugs as their "hustle". Most did this thing called getting a job, having dignity, self respect and respect for their families by not resorting to criminal activity.

I remember a friend of mine was shot and killed about 10 years ago. He got into a fight with a guy over a lang change on the highway. They both pulled over and apparently my moronic friend got out of the car with a small baseball bat and ran at the other guy. The guy pulled out a gun and after warning him several times to back off, shot my stupid friend. Guess whose fault it was? My stupid friend's. Now, I'm not saying it was right or Ok for that guy to kill my friend, but if stupid had only stopped what he was doing, he might still be here today.

To address a statement you made earlier that despite all of his troubles, he was really a good guy who was loved by his friends and family. Here is the problem with that. I'm sure Jeffrey Dahmer's family felt the same way. I'm sure the members of street gangs feel that way about each other. I'm sure Saddam Hussein' family thought he was a pretty great guy. It sure as hell doesn't make it the truth does it?

Since: Jan 08

mooresville,nc

#13 Jan 8, 2008
blackcloud wrote:
<quoted text>
Though it is probably a waste of time since you sound like you have no intention of actually understanding anything objectively, I'll try anyway. People need to start accepting responsibility for their own actions instead of always blaming someone else.
First off, I can't say why he was shot in the face because I, like you, was not there. Maybe that's just where the bullet went. As far as shooting him in the foot, leg, arm or wherever else you would have chosen, it just doesn't work that way unless it's on TV.
I agree that lots of people have a hustle. Stripping is legal, as is being a car salesman or a really bad housepainter. The fact that you can even refer to "selling dope" as a hustle just shows the type of person that you yourself are.
Drugs kill, period. They kill by overdose, they kill children, they poison young minds. They cause people to do things that get themselves and other people killed.
You are correct, not everyone is born with a silver spoon. As a matter of fact, most people aren't. Where I grew up, almost everyone was poor. None of my friends resorted to selling drugs as their "hustle". Most did this thing called getting a job, having dignity, self respect and respect for their families by not resorting to criminal activity.
I remember a friend of mine was shot and killed about 10 years ago. He got into a fight with a guy over a lang change on the highway. They both pulled over and apparently my moronic friend got out of the car with a small baseball bat and ran at the other guy. The guy pulled out a gun and after warning him several times to back off, shot my stupid friend. Guess whose fault it was? My stupid friend's. Now, I'm not saying it was right or Ok for that guy to kill my friend, but if stupid had only stopped what he was doing, he might still be here today.
To address a statement you made earlier that despite all of his troubles, he was really a good guy who was loved by his friends and family. Here is the problem with that. I'm sure Jeffrey Dahmer's family felt the same way. I'm sure the members of street gangs feel that way about each other. I'm sure Saddam Hussein' family thought he was a pretty great guy. It sure as hell doesn't make it the truth does it?
blackcloud, kudos to you for trying. her mentality just won't grasp what your saying. i will not waste anymore of my time, trying to get her to understand that he was just a bum.
tabby

United States

#14 Jan 8, 2008
there is no reason what so ever for you to insult me mooresville abode. i do get his point i just want people to know that there was another side to him. and just so you know, i don't sell dope or have any kind of criminal record and i have never gotten in any kind of legal trouble. i always just try to see the good in people and i do respect your point of view. i understand that drugs kill and are bad, i went to school to be a drug alcohol counselor but changed my major. all i'm trying to say is that there is more to him than the media displayed.
blackcloud

United States

#15 Jan 9, 2008
tabby wrote:
there is no reason what so ever for you to insult me mooresville abode. i do get his point i just want people to know that there was another side to him. and just so you know, i don't sell dope or have any kind of criminal record and i have never gotten in any kind of legal trouble. i always just try to see the good in people and i do respect your point of view. i understand that drugs kill and are bad, i went to school to be a drug alcohol counselor but changed my major. all i'm trying to say is that there is more to him than the media displayed.
Tabby,

Let's just say then that you made a poor choice of words then by claiming being a drug dealer is "a hustle."

I know that there are two sides to most everyones life. The sad part for me is that his poor choices now leave a child without a father and YES that is very sad. The only point I was trying to make is that is was the choices he made that set the wheels in motion to his ultimate demise. He had many opportunities in both his daily life and the night of the incident to stop the freight train but he didn't. Those choices were his to make.

I guess it woud be kind of simliar to a situation where a person decides to perform a very dangerous stunt; Evel Knievel for example (though I know he has recently died). If he decides to jump 50 buses and messes it up thereby killing himself, we might say "That's a shame" while we would actually be thinking "well, what the hell did he think might happen, he knew the risks".

When we assign blame to anyone or anything in life (if that indeed is what people need to do at times) then we just need to assign it accordingly. Some people may not like to look at it that way but it is just a simple fact. That's my only point.
Claire Maxwell

United States

#16 Jan 17, 2008
mooresville abode wrote:
<quoted text>
Tabby, give it up!!!!!! He was a low down snake and had you all crawling along with him. All his good points are negated by his actions. Beleive me those are a plenty. Just pray for his soul, and stop defending a glorified bum.
You sound like you were once a glorified bum once yourself!!Must have been back in the seventies you have lost a few brain cells!!
Haley

AOL

#17 Jan 17, 2008
blackcloud wrote:
What difference does it make that his stepfather was a pastor or that he was raised in a church? Apparently none since he was a criminal. He made the choices to use drugs and be a criminal. He made the choices not to stop. He got what was coming to him.
When you talk about Police shooting out the tires: watch a little less Television. It doesn't work that way. It is almost impossible to shoot out a tire with a handgun especially on a moving vehicle. Not to mention the fact that you have to worry about the bullets flying all over the place risking INNOCENT lives.
As far as this whole "babymomma" thing goes: All I can say it that it is shame that yet another child who was born to unmarried parents will have to grow up without a father. I just hope the baby's mother (the correct grammatical distinction for this woman) tells her child exactly why her father is not around (because he made bad choices).
Glad you wrote that Emily. Obviously, some people on here are trying to act like they KNEW Donnell, bet if it were their son who was shot and killed they'd be thinking a little differently. But of course, we both know things about the whole situation that these people don't know. The ones that are only talking about what they saw on the news. Its not up to them to JUDGE anyone, that's God's job, not theirs. So before they start talking bad about him, I think they might need to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves "who am I to be judging this man that I didn't even know."
Haley

AOL

#18 Jan 17, 2008
wanda ross wrote:
What a shame. The actual suspect for this police action was Andrew Ramseur, who was apprehended 4 hours later in Statesville for the double murders at the Shell gas Station on Broadstreet at 5 AM. Both suspects were young black males ages 19 and 22.
What you say here is very true. Just ask the people where his truck was towed to. Ask them what was told to them by the Iredell County Sherriff's Department
Emily

Matthews, NC

#19 Jan 17, 2008
I am wit my girl Haley.... Nobody on this earth really has the right to judge somebody for what they do, or who they are, or the choices they make. God has a plan for all of his children, and he is the only one to judge anyone. The fact of the matter is I dont care what ANYONE thinks about me, or what I do bc the only person I have to ask forgiveness from is God!!! The truth is yea Donnell made mistakes, and maybe he made some of the wrong friends, but he had people that cared for him and would have done anything for him. And to inform blackcloud of your talkin about hoping his baby momma aint like him, thats my best friend and she dont have any fellony charges on her and her daughter means the world to her. And like you did menchion yea his choices affected what happen to him, but when you have a drug problem yourself, you simply are not yourself. I just dont see where you guys get of judging someone you dont even know. You listen to the news and the public bc they trying to cover a mess up they made. He was a felon and as far as the charge assult on a woman, once again you dont know what your talking about, his baby momma put that on him and you dont even know the story, so you keep letting the media fill your head with juice to keep you hot headed fools with something to talk about, I have better things to do with my time then judge someone that I know was a good person! And Tabby I think I know who you are you was at the funeral with Tub? Yea he was a good person, and if you really knew Donnell, which you did if you knew him as hugaboo, then you already know what kind of person he was. It prob is a waist of time to argue with these dumb lames on here about who is right and who is wrong, they gonna believe what they want to, bc the media got they heads filled with that juice they feeding them.
Claire Maxwell

United States

#20 Jan 18, 2008
Haley wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you wrote that Emily. Obviously, some people on here are trying to act like they KNEW Donnell, bet if it were their son who was shot and killed they'd be thinking a little differently. But of course, we both know things about the whole situation that these people don't know. The ones that are only talking about what they saw on the news. Its not up to them to JUDGE anyone, that's God's job, not theirs. So before they start talking bad about him, I think they might need to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves "who am I to be judging this man that I didn't even know."
YOU are right!! I have been there!! You know in your heart what went on!! I feel for you and I am so sorry for your loss!! Try to keep your chin up and be proud of who you are!! Nobody can take that away from you!! Just take care of yourself and the people around you that you love!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Turnersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 32 min Ben 59,759
david stump (Jul '11) Jul '11 from 1smart A 2 a... 1
Mental health clinics in Iredell to close next ... (Feb '08) Aug '08 Two mental health... 2
Cars seized because of prior DWI charges (Mar '08) Mar '08 tlc97 1
Possible Start Date: July 1: Curbside recycling... (Jan '08) Mar '08 Mooresville Citizen 4
Sex offender accused of raping toddler (Feb '08) Feb '08 ladyd 4
Smokers and Scumbags (Jan '08) Jan '08 just candid 1
•••
•••
•••

Turnersburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Turnersburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••