Letter: Trails, not trains, best for ...

Letter: Trails, not trains, best for Adirondacks

There are 20 comments on the Albany Times Union story from Feb 10, 2012, titled Letter: Trails, not trains, best for Adirondacks. In it, Albany Times Union reports that:

I live along the Adirondack rail corridor in Tupper Lake and have watched it go unused and continue to deteriorate for more than 30 years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Albany Times Union.

blueknight6

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Feb 11, 2012
well what are you all going to do about it! BMG ing isnt going to solve the problem and everyone should know it.
all of us must get every politician involved...state senators (all of them),state assebmly reps" (majority of them) county legislators as well as local town boards and supervisors.
All the BMG (bitchin,moanin,and groanin) isnt going to do squat..My personal opnion...not that anyone cares is a multiuse trail...rail,hike,ski,snowmobi le and you better believe atvs also...not everyone can hike,bike,ski,especially if you are my age. And if you are my age why should we be denied the use of the multi purpose recreational wilderness trail??
Go Back to your Lazy-Boy

Liverpool, NY

#2 Feb 11, 2012
Rails should be for TRAINS so people can go from one place to another. They should not be opened as snomo trails. Snomobiles are toys. Trains are tools.
trains are better

Syracuse, NY

#3 Feb 12, 2012
Trains can provide a means in and out of the local area. However, with the morons running it now it's a wonder it's still operating at all. I know several board members and they're about as bright at running that railroad as my grandmother. They've been yanking Tupper Lake around for years with their BS about the tracks. The guy running Placid is an utter moron and the volunteers up there need lessons in how to deal with the public. They can be rude and obnoxious. This one older guy who was conductor one day was completely rude to my young daughter. I wanted to make a scene about it by my wife stopped me. He needed to get off the train and go away. He could have used a shower too. They got one engineer that is so full of herself that she can barely fit through the door on the engine. I heard they got rid of that broad in the dining car. Good. She was a dike bitch. The tall blond guy is clueless and he seems to like another little blond guy that hangs around there sort of like they're more than just "friends". We were on one day when some guy with a brush cut, dark hair, glasses and an attitude was doing the engine changes in Saranac Lake. He was an idiot. I think he belongs with North Star or something.
But overall, they can't seem to make a go of it. It's been over 10 years and it's time to give up. I noticed that any money they get goes in to the tracks near Old Forge or someplace like that. They never put a dime into the tracks in Placid.
Peronally, I think if they got someone else in there to run the entire operation like the people who took over the North Creek and Saratoga line, they'd have a chance. But this concern is wasting time and money for nothing and have shown the public nothing in terms of growth at all. It's time to tear it out for good. I loved the train and used to ride it at least twice a year with my 3 kids but in the last few years it's totally gone downhill and it's not doing anything it said it was going to do. It's not worth the drive from Colton anymore.
Wow

Syracuse, NY

#4 Feb 15, 2012
Yeah. Screw the snow sledders. I'm sick and tired too of hearing them cry because they want more and more and more and more and blah blah blah, economy, blah blah blah, riders, blah blah blah,.......

Get a clue sled heads. The only people supporting you are the ones that have sleds and think they own the Adirondacks. Get over it. It's not like you're the only ones bringing money into the area. There's plenty of things around that do that and it's cost a lot less than your little toys. Quit complaining. You got literally THOUSANDS of miles of trails that the state is maintaining at a much higher amount that what they give that railroad. Go read it for yourself. It's on the internet.
jake

Tully, NY

#5 Feb 16, 2012
Wow, Wow. I don't think I've ever read such an uneduacated, misinformed rant such as yours. I'm sorry your are so inflicted with stupid. I hope you have a tight support group.
Wow

Syracuse, NY

#6 Feb 16, 2012
jake wrote:
Wow, Wow. I don't think I've ever read such an uneduacated, misinformed rant such as yours. I'm sorry your are so inflicted with stupid. I hope you have a tight support group.
No problem. And when are you morons going to learn that it's not "your" in the way you use it. It's "you're". "Your" indicates it belongs to someone. "You're" is the contraction or "you are". Gotta love north country teachers.
SEE "your are..." above. And you call me stupid?? I bet you done gradiated the 6th grade dintcha.
Wow

Syracuse, NY

#7 Feb 16, 2012
jake wrote:
Wow, Wow. I don't think I've ever read such an uneduacated, misinformed rant such as yours. I'm sorry your are so inflicted with stupid. I hope you have a tight support group.
Uneducated?? Actually you don't need to be that educated to read a damn map moron. All anyone has to do is go to the DEC web sites to see just how many thousands of miles of trail sledders have. It isn't me saying this - it's facts dummy. No misinformation about it. And the money, again, poke around on that site and you'll see exactly what the state is sending you way to maintain these trails. It's no secret. It's public information if you know where to look. I suggest you do it because obviously you're ill informed of the facts. What an idiot. I'm just sick and tired of hearing how sledders want this and want that and telling everyone how much money is going to bring them. NONE of this has any basis in fact. Only speculation. I challenge you to provide actual facts and figures. At least the railroad can. Leave them alone. You just don't like getting told NO. Tough luck Bozo. It's theirs and it should stay that way. You got enough trails. So quit trying to muck up the mountains with your noisy, smoke spewing sled and ruining the beauty of the area. We're sick of it.
Wow

Syracuse, NY

#8 Feb 16, 2012
Here ya go dude. 10,300 miles of trails in NY state. This isn't enough for you guys? All the RR wants is 118 miles that's rightfully theirs anyway.
And you call them greedy?
I'll be right back. I'll go find the money part of it for you.

http://nysparks.com/recreation/snowmobiles/
IWow

Syracuse, NY

#9 Feb 18, 2012
I didn't post the link because it's the same one. Navigate through that site and you'll come to it. They gripe about the state taking their money too. How is it theirs anyway? It's paid to the state because it's state land - not ONLY sled heads. However, I agree that the state should NOT be taking money that is paid to maintain SPECIFICALLY snow sled trails. Remember to, the railroad is the only ones out there maintaining this current system. Some of the money goes to them in return for their services. The RR guy is required by the FRA for the tracks and if they were gone someone would still have to police the trail system no matter what. So you're going to pay no matter how you look at it. The money they collect for sledders is used to maintain existing trails too. In my opinion, you're ahead money on this local system because the RR is doing it now. If it's gone, who's going to do it then? The sledders? Not likely.
Agree

Syracuse, NY

#10 Feb 18, 2012
IWow wrote:
I didn't post the link because it's the same one. Navigate through that site and you'll come to it. They gripe about the state taking their money too. How is it theirs anyway? It's paid to the state because it's state land - not ONLY sled heads. However, I agree that the state should NOT be taking money that is paid to maintain SPECIFICALLY snow sled trails. Remember to, the railroad is the only ones out there maintaining this current system. Some of the money goes to them in return for their services. The RR guy is required by the FRA for the tracks and if they were gone someone would still have to police the trail system no matter what. So you're going to pay no matter how you look at it. The money they collect for sledders is used to maintain existing trails too. In my opinion, you're ahead money on this local system because the RR is doing it now. If it's gone, who's going to do it then? The sledders? Not likely.
Totally true. I like sleds but I'm sick of some of these guys speaking for all of us. I'll use the tracks when there's enough snow. Taking the rails out isn't going to make more snow. Get over guys. Learn to live with it before you lose it all together.
me to

Syracuse, NY

#11 Feb 24, 2012
I like trains but this one isnt doing anything now but going back and forth. All that time up here and they dno't do anything new. I'm gonna try the north creek trian this year.
Screw them

Syracuse, NY

#12 Mar 1, 2012
Tear the tracks up. It'll never amount to anything. They had 11 years to prove it. Enough is enough.
Dont know yet

Syracuse, NY

#13 Mar 7, 2012
It would seem that both parties can't agree. On one hand you have a railroad that's been there over 100 years. It could still be a viable means of transportation if it was properly run and restored. On the other hand you have a wonderful trail. The downside of this is that who is going to maintain it. The state? Wouldn't that also cost money? And there are few stops along the way between Placid and Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake. Beyond Tupper is no mans land for miles and miles. A trail would not be used except by those who have motorized means and do we want that in our reserve? I don't. It wouldn't be long before you'd have 4 wheelers tearing up the trails anyway. Just look around Tupper Lake for example. It happens all the time. And who's going to police these trails for this.
On the RR end, are there enough riders to make this RR self supporting? They haven't proven that yet in over 10 years up here.
Sled Head

Bronx, NY

#14 Mar 13, 2012
Wow wrote:
Yeah. Screw the snow sledders. I'm sick and tired too of hearing them cry because they want more and more and more and more and blah blah blah, economy, blah blah blah, riders, blah blah blah,.......
Get a clue sled heads. The only people supporting you are the ones that have sleds and think they own the Adirondacks. Get over it. It's not like you're the only ones bringing money into the area. There's plenty of things around that do that and it's cost a lot less than your little toys. Quit complaining. You got literally THOUSANDS of miles of trails that the state is maintaining at a much higher amount that what they give that railroad. Go read it for yourself. It's on the internet.
Maybe you should take another look on the internet. Snomobiles have to be registered through the state which isn't cheap. In the 10-11 snowmobile season the state collected $5.5 million from registrations fees alone.$4.3 million is budgeted for maintenance and development. Maybe I'm missing something but it looks to me like snowmobilers pay in a lot more than what the state provides to maintain the trail system? I find it funny that even when being courteous by slowing way down when meeting x-country skiers I get dirty looks from some of them like I'm invading their space when in actuality they are on a trail that I and my fellow snowmobiliers paid for. By reading your comments you sound like this type of douchebag. Just remember that there are massive parcels of land in the ADKs that are miles and miles away from ever being touched by snowmobiles, so go somewhere else if you have such an issue with snowmobiles. If you think snowmobilers don't bring in a majority of money to these small ADK towns in the winter, you're in denial. Who else is bringing in money during the winter, x-country skiers and snowshoers? Haha, I don't think so. I would be willing to bet that this years lack of snow severely hurt several small business owners.

There are also emissions standards put in place that get more and more stringent that snowmobile manufacturers have to meet. The "smoke" that you speak of is non-existant on most new snowmobiles and will only get cleaner in the future.

I will admit that people do abuse the privilege of riding these trails by being wreckless, driving off trail, installing loud exhaust, etc but that only makes up a small portion of the group. There are laws put in place for these types of bozos that the state enforces and collects thousands upon thousands of dollars in fines for as well.

As far as the railroad goes, if its not being used, tear it out. by scrapping all the metal it probably wouldn't cost anything to do it anyways. Its too dangerous and destructive to snowmobiles if it isn't even being used.
You bet

Syracuse, NY

#15 Mar 15, 2012
Sled Head wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should take another look on the internet. Snomobiles have to be registered through the state which isn't cheap. In the 10-11 snowmobile season the state collected $5.5 million from registrations fees alone.$4.3 million is budgeted for maintenance and development. Maybe I'm missing something but it looks to me parcels of land in the ADKs that are miles and miles away from
There are also emissions standards put in place that get more and more stringent that snowmobile manufacturers have to meet. The There are laws put in place for these types of bozos that the state enforces and collects thousands upon thousands of dollars in fines for as well.
They're noisy, polluting and tear up country side. They trespass on other's land and leave trash all over. Don't tell me! I was one of them and I KNOW how some of these sled heads operate. They have enough trails in NY state. You say they collect all this money on registrations? It isn't enough to offset the damage these things do and the ruckus they create in the country. What in the hell is wrong with just show-shoeing? Why MUST everyone have some engine under their ass to get them around?
You guys need to pay more as far as I'm concerned. Noise pollution, air pollution (and I don't care how clean they run, they're still unnecessary in my book) and destroying scenery in an otherwise pristine wilderness. No douche bag you're the greedy one. You want MORE AND MORE all the time. You want it ALL. Well to friggin bad for you. There's others out there that want the trails/rails too. Get over it. Leave it alone and use the trails you've got now. WHY must you people ALWAYS want to take something for your own good??
You know, maybe you'd get more cooperation from the railroad people is you got your dead, collective asses out there and helped maintain it! No. You want others to do it for you so you can reap the benefits of their hard work. You lazy bunch of schmucks don't deserve a nice trail system. It CAN co-exist if you work at it. Nope. You gotta be greedy and want it all for yourself. One of your moron supporters once said that you need 2 feet of snow in order to ride the trails. Well, meat head, tearing up the rails ain't gonna give you that snow. They're only about 6" high. So you're telling me that your supporter Jim McCully is lying to everyone?? You can ride on 6" off snow?? Which way is it sled head? I think the gas fumes are getting to you all.
You know, one other point is that gas is getting a little scarce around here and the price always going up. Maybe if you guys quit burning for joy riding, there'd be more of it to use to get your ass to work.
Saranac Laker

Syracuse, NY

#16 Apr 23, 2012
Well said. Well said! I totally agree and it's about time someone told these clowns just where to get off. I'm sick of hearing them rant and rave for their own agenda. It's like that Thompson clown. He wants the rails gone because the state PAYS him to groom the trails. It's a matter of record. With the rails gone, it makes his life easier. So you see, if he gets better use out of his groomer, he makes more money from the state. This is the factual truth people. Look it up for yourself or write the Freedom of Information Act to prove it to yourself. It's all there in black and white.
Screw the snow-mobilers. They got enough land now. Leave some for the other guy.
Sled Head

Potsdam, NY

#17 Apr 26, 2012
Haha you people are so moody, it's comical!

Just want clear up some of the nonsense "you bet" is spewing out of his/her loud mouth.

You are stereotyping an entire group of people based on a few bad apples. Kind of like you calling me a meathead because you assume I'm an uneducated redneck because I own a snowmobile, not the case but thanks anyways.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "show-shoeing", I was using that as an example of a winter activity that generates little to no revenue to local economies in the ADK's compared to snowmobiliers.

To think that snowmobiles are ruining your "otherwise pristine wilderness" is laughable. How about acid rain that has severely effected aquatic life or large logging operations that leave large parcels of land damaged and polluted by heavy machinery? Did you think of any of this? Maybe you should start a new post about other things that ruin your "pristine wilderness" so you have something else to bitch and moan about since you like to do so so much.

Yes 2' of snow is favorable for snowmobiling, but even if there is 2' there might not be in other areas on this trail. Several areas of this trail are in flat wide open areas so the wind blows the snow exposing the tracks in some areas. You would know this if you used this trail at all, for any purpose, not just snowmobiling.

And for the record, gas is currently not scarce and the use of snowmobiles or any other small recreational vehicle certainly has no effect on the price or scarcity of fuel, dipshit.

So before you reply with name calling and more worthless BS please pull your head out of your ass.

I honestly don't even really care if they tear out the tracks or not, if it means so much to some people to ride the choo choo then so be it. I will continue to use this trail for snowmobiling regardless if the tracks are there or not. Would it be more convenient if they were gone? Absolutely, and safer as well. But obviously some people don't think so and it makes them angry, which is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So let the people decide, put it to a vote.
Heeeehee

Syracuse, NY

#18 May 10, 2012
Sled Head wrote:
Haha you people are so moody, it's comical!
Just want clear up some of the nonsense "you bet" is spewing out of his/her loud mouth.
You are stereotyping an entire group of people based on a few bad apples. Kind of like you calling me a meathead because you assume I'm an uneducated redneck because I own a snowmobile, not the case but thanks anyways.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with "show-shoeing", I was using that as an example of a winter activity that generates little to no revenue to local economies in the ADK's compared to snowmobiliers.
To think that snowmobiles are ruining your "otherwise pristine wilderness" is laughable. How about acid rain that has severely effected aquatic life or large logging operations that leave large parcels of land damaged and polluted by heavy machinery? Did you think of any of this? Maybe you should start a new post about other things that ruin your "pristine wilderness" so you have something else to bitch and moan about since you like to do so so much.
Yes 2' of snow is favorable for snowmobiling, but even if there is 2' there might not be in other areas on this trail. Several areas of this trail are in flat wide open areas so the wind blows the snow exposing the tracks in some areas. You would know this if you used this trail at all, for any purpose, not just snowmobiling.
And for the record, gas is currently not scarce and the use of snowmobiles or any other small recreational vehicle certainly has no effect on the price or scarcity of fuel, dipshit.
So before you reply with name calling and more worthless BS please pull your head out of your ass.
I honestly don't even really care if they tear out the tracks or not, if it means so much to some people to ride the choo choo then so be it. I will continue to use this trail for snowmobiling regardless if the tracks are there or not. Would it be more convenient if they were gone? Absolutely, and safer as well. But obviously some people don't think so and it makes them angry, which is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So let the people decide, put it to a vote.
Typical snow sled owner. wants it all for themselves. go drown your sorrows in another beer ya lush. keep those foul smelling, noisy machines out of the woods. without that railroad, you wouldn't even have a trail. if it goes, the trail goes with it. you guys won't be able to touch it once the APA gets their hands on it. with all the water it crosses, there's no way they're going to let you use it for a snow sled. the bridges would be gone and it's against the law for you to cross open water. then what? beg the state to put in some bridges for you? who would pay for that? me and my taxes? sure. at least the rr takes care of the tracks themselves without any help from other people who use them. get your sad tired asses out there and give them a hand for a change during the summer. go tear out beaver dams or cut brush or clear out culverts like they do. What? you don't want to? but why not? Oh. You want everyone else to do the dirty work so that you can just get on it and use it for your enjoyment without having to earn it like the RR does now. GO soak your head in a vat of 2 cycle oil sled head. your argument carries no merit. you guys got to many miles of trails now that our tax money takes care of. use those instead and leave this one little stretch alone.
scrap it

Sackets Harbor, NY

#19 Jun 30, 2012
I say get rid of the RR. Some guy said they've done 2500 people so far this year. They're only been running for 5 weekends. That's 500 people a weekend? No friggin' way. I've seen trains and there's no way they're doing this many. Once again they're inflating the numbers of someone needs to learn how to count. Face it, with the people they got running it now, they're done for. They got some young queer running it this year. That's good for young boys I guess. It's right up there with that old conductor that I hear likes little boys too.
Close it down. It'll never amount to anything. It's had 12 years to prove itself and it hasn't done one damn thing to impress anyone. They don't need a train. There's no businesses up there that can benefit from it at all. And the way things are set up in Placid you need a car anyway so you might as well drive to get there. Passengers? Forget it. Hiking trail - yes. Snow sleds - NO! They got enough trails now and they tear up the ground, make noise and pollution and disturb the wildlife. Leave it for the cross county skiers instead. But get rid of the rails and be done with it.
No dummy here

New York, NY

#20 Oct 8, 2012
I just learned from one of the volunteers that now they count people both ways on the train. Isn't that like cheating a bit? I mean, if they buy a ticket in placid, they have to ride back right? Sounds to me like they're getting desperate to push the totals up. It's a big waste of money. I hate to see it go but maybe they should get someone in there that knows what the hell is going on and do something constructive with it. Obviously the people who are running it up here have no clue as to what they're doing. What happened anyway? It used to be so much better. It's like in the last few years it's gone right to hell. We won't ride it anymore. Even my kids don't want to go now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tupper Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is up with Cranberry Lake Lodge? (Dec '13) Feb 4 Rev Dick Waad 20
robin green looting off lexy Jan 31 herboe 5
News Two arrested for assualt and child endangerment... (Jun '12) Jan 27 rachel 161
Lexy Williams (Jun '15) Jan 27 mr rogers 25
Labrador Puppies? Jan 25 retired_lovingit 1
Abby Zyla Jan 25 Curious 1
Anybody know a Michael Tyler Jan 23 MTyler 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tupper Lake Mortgages