First Prev
of 3
Next Last
working for a living

Tupelo, MS

#1 Dec 19, 2012
I've been serving for about 20years. I come from a fine dining restaurant recently moved to tupelo got a job at a restaurant by the mall I have never experienced such terrible tips. I'm an excellent server! Last nite for example .30 on a 26$ check( nothing wrong) 2.76 on a 57$check again nothing wrong. 2$ on a 42$ check 5$ on 90$ check. I make 2.41 an hr. I have to pay taxes and tip out on a percentage of my sales not what I have in my pocket. Tipping is not a city in china. You people can do better this is ridiculous if you can't afford to eat out or to cheap to tip go to Micky d's. Stay home. Servers have to make a living too. One of my co -workers was in tears the other nite she received 5$ on 159$ check and 5$ on 100$ check again nothing wrong. It's costing us money to wait on you on some occasions, it's the holidays! 10% of check for not great service 15% if everything was ok 20% if everything great.Com e on Tupelo I have faith we can turn this around do the right thing!
anon

Tupelo, MS

#2 Dec 19, 2012
How about not working as a slave and do something innovative to get your needed resources.
Rod Knox

Tupelo, MS

#3 Dec 19, 2012
Good luck. There are 2 groups in Tupelo who tip poorly, those who live pay check to pay check and can barely pay the bill and the SPECIAL people who think you should feel privileged to wait on them. Let me add a third group, on Wednesday and Sunday nights the after church crowds are too cheap and too self centered and totally ignorant of the fact that you work all day for $2 an hour to hopefully earn a living from tips in the 2 hours that the tables are filled with customers. Again, Good luck.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#4 Dec 19, 2012
Why are you not going to the city council when they proclaim tourism and bringing in hotels and restaurants are the saving economic grace to Tupelo. Without high income people that are innovators no business is going to survive on a economy that demands only a service workforce or factory workers. The city also taxes your industry more.
Rod Knox

Tupelo, MS

#5 Dec 19, 2012
If city leaders had a clue they would require that minimum wage be the minimum paid by restaurants to all waiters and waitresses. But they don't have a clue. City leaders are too important to worry about people who actually work for a living.
feeling your pain

New Albany, MS

#6 Dec 19, 2012
I feel your pain. I was a server for 10+ yrs in the fine city of Tupelo. Most people are unaware that waiters/servers do not make minimum wage. I only made $3.13 and hour plus my tips. It is VERY hard work and Yes, not tipped well here. Im sorry dear, you need to find a better job. Tupelo tippers dont get any better. good luck!!
fed up

Tupelo, MS

#7 Dec 19, 2012
Goodness you guys you make it sound like tupelo is the only town in the country to pay their waiters and waitresses this pay. The Resturaunt industry has its own standard minimum wage. I was a waitress in tupelo many years ago and made wonderful tips. It all depends on the type of Resturaunt your working in, the more upscale the Resturaunt the higher the tips. My husband and I always tip well above the standard 15%, unless the service has been truly awful then they probably only get 15%
Rod Knox

Tupelo, MS

#8 Dec 20, 2012
And let me add, all you good Christians who own and/or run restaurants and forbid your workers from taking home the "leftovers" you are hypocrites. Your Bible makes specific instructions regarding "gleaning" of the fields. Are you all so ignorant as to not understand that the kitchen is YOUR field. And throwing perfectly good food in the trash while your workers go home hungry might be a SIN. Or maybe that is WAY OVER YOUR HEAD.
working for a living

Baldwyn, MS

#9 Dec 20, 2012
fed up wrote:
Goodness you guys you make it sound like tupelo is the only town in the country to pay their waiters and waitresses this pay. The Resturaunt industry has its own standard minimum wage. I was a waitress in tupelo many years ago and made wonderful tips. It all depends on the type of Resturaunt your working in, the more upscale the Resturaunt the higher the tips. My husband and I always tip well above the standard 15%, unless the service has been truly awful then they probably only get 15%
. Reply :::: the restaurant is not up scale but very nice fairly pricey for the mall area. I know this happens in other town too, but it is a known fact that this is a southern thing. I worked lunch today got stiffed 4 times nothing wrong again. 2.70 on 42$ check. and a few other shitty ones . One 20% tip I bought there dessert steak a Lil overlooked and there anniversy. One table out of about 20tables that shows tupelo has a definite problem and I would like to get the word out there about our hourly rate and people we have to tip out maybe they will care a Lil more with this knowledge I'm thinking they don't know it's hard for me to believe these people are so damm CHEAP I get very upset apart about this issue.I love what I do and I don't want to change carriers . Know what I mean
anon

Tupelo, MS

#10 Dec 21, 2012
"Know what I mean "
==========
The average wage in Tupelo is well below the national average because people let that happen.

In other places they give the postman or garbage man a $50 Christmas cash just to know they are recognized.

The south has a thing for being uneducated because the schools are run by the government rather than the students.

The smart move away. The crooks stay to milk the dumb.
fed up

Tupelo, MS

#11 Dec 21, 2012
anon wrote:
"Know what I mean "
==========
The average wage in Tupelo is well below the national average because people let that happen.

In other places they give the postman or garbage man a $50 Christmas cash just to know they are recognized.

The south has a thing for being uneducated because the schools are run by the government rather than the students.

The smart move away. The crooks stay to milk the dumb.
Do you ever get tired of spouting nonsense?
anon

Tupelo, MS

#12 Dec 21, 2012
"Do you ever get tired of spouting nonsense?"
=========
Find out how the rest of the world lives.
fed up

Tupelo, MS

#13 Dec 21, 2012
anon wrote:
"Do you ever get tired of spouting nonsense?"
=========
Find out how the rest of the world lives.
I've lived in the south and I've lived up north, it is not nearly as bad here as you make it out to be.

In my opinion you seem to be a very unhappy person who blames everyone else for all he problems around them rather than doing anything to make their lives any better. It's a lot easier to sit back and complain than it is to actually do something to improve the things they think are wrong.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#14 Dec 22, 2012
"It's a lot easier to sit back and complain than it is to actually do something to improve the things they think are wrong. "
==========
In the south the people only respond to commercial marketing which costs money. They do not think for themselves as they have been trained to accept the multiple choose answers.

I have volunteered and spoke to the city council and the mayor as well-as other leaders. They have an agenda that buys them power and will not consider improving the competition.

It is not what I think is wrong it is what holds the south in last place by most measures. They are always a dollar short and a day late. Must come with the weather, It was Jean-Jacques Rousseau that said that.
amazed

Tupelo, MS

#15 Dec 22, 2012
We should not pigeon hole all southerners. I have lived in several states and towns. You have lower breeds everywhere you go.
tipping

United States

#16 Dec 22, 2012
I believe if u have no intention of tipping u should eat at a fast food chain where a tip is not expected & they make minimum wage or above. Not only is it rude, degrading & wrong u are also taking the seat of someone who has enough decency, class & tact to leave a tip. So not only are u not leaving a tip but you are knocking the servers out of potential money. And if it takes u 45 minutes to get appetizers & the entree it's not the servers fault if the cook took longer than u think it should have, again fast food is an option at the fast food joint. And even then I've had to pull my vehicle up & wait on that. And if the food is not cooked right it's the cooks fault, don't take it out on the server who has to come out & smile & tell u something to appease u & argue with the cook about where your food is so that the servers customer is happy. And we are arguing with the cook because we want you to be happy, we want you to love your service so much that you do tip for a job well done. Servers want to accomplish the goal of a job well done, at the end if the day the tips servers receive determine that. It's hard to take all the crap from the company & all the crap the customers for $2 an hour when all we want is for u to be satisfied. Honestly it should be mandatory tipping, if u can't afford to eat & tip then stay home or again go to fast food chain. If u say ur ready to order please don't take 20 minutes to do so, because my other tables are going to need drink refills or something & be without because you are sucking the life out of me & tips from other tables because they're not happy I've had to give your non tipping butt way to much time, and when ur food arrives if your going to need extra ranch, steak sauce, ketchup or another beer tell ur server all u need so they can bring it back to you in one trip instead of 4 trips. If a server has only 6 tables & works a 6 hour shift, turnover is important that means we want u full & happy & in and out not lingering for hours unless we are going to be well compensated for the loss of money from other tipping customers who could sit there. Get it together people, quit looking down on servers, quit expecting us to treat u like a king or queen & u treat us like slaves & then the ones of u who always complain no matter what even excellent service to get a free meal or a whole table of free meals stop it already & sit home & eat ur bologna sandwich & quit trying to cost people there jobs!
tipping

United States

#17 Dec 22, 2012
And a restaurant is not a place for your kids to be playing in the aisles that the servers need to go down to bring hot food or drinks to other tables. If your at home you can send them outside or to there room to play for adult conversation to take place if not they need to be seated at the table with you like properly raised children do. Some customers don't like the disruption either. And if its a bar & grill you should be prepared for foul language, drunks & fights if ur out late at one of these establishments with ur children.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#18 Dec 23, 2012
The greedy have made going to a restaurant a poor experience. The food is full of chemicals and is genetically modified thanks to the government controlled by corporations. It has been frozen and farmed with chemicals to make it have taste.
Then you have standardized menu and a poor environment of strangers and noise.

I will not go out to eat as i can and do make a much more healthy pleasant environment to eat and enjoy. The little bit of work takes less than the travel time to a restaurant.
working for a living

Pinola, MS

#19 Dec 30, 2012
well tonight was interesting I wrote the original eating out blog: not only are some people not tipping there not even leaving enough $ for there bill. It happened to me twice this week once to a co-worker this week.so much for Christmas spirit tupelo you sucked it right out of me! This happened tonight 3 people came in claimed to do volunteer work for disaster relief asked if we would give them a discount I asked we don't do that, there comment was that's why we don't come to tupelo . They told me they were on a budget and places usually give them a discount so 3 people ordered 2 dinners and one appetizer and shared but kept ordering mudslides seemed I little odd the food was on a budget but not the booze who am I to judge. I put the check down 113.86. one of the guys put a debt card in there. I ran the card it went thru for 62.91 it left a balance of 51. and some odd sense I told the gentlemen what happened they said they needed to go to an ATM and I got the manager involved now the debt card is an ATM card now a days. The manger let them leave to go to the ATM told me to give them 15-20 min. Now I been there 8 hrs. and have to wait for them to hopefully return I can't check out because I have an open table still. the atm's are close by we gave them time my I manager just took the items off the bill and I'm about to check out and here comes one of the a- holes walking thru the door with to hotel plastic cups wrapped in plastic and hands them to the manager. The cups were filled with,quarters 52 dollars are you f-in kidding me like they got those out of an ATM Losers. Then it took me another 20 to count the f-in change and check out and again not even a dime for a tip. I got a tip for you STAY HOME YOU NONTIPPIN BASTARDS,!!!.
Current Situation
Recovery of a lost item or lost love is possible. You may be recovering from an illness. Time to pick yourself up and complete the journey. Worrying about it has been useless. Your friends and loved ones have gathered around you and are willing to assist you in your goals. Financial support is possible now. Ask for forgiveness of someone; they will grant it.
Future Influences
The Queen of Wands Reversed
A woman unable to embrace her own limitations as well as of those around her. Impatience with norms and laws. Unwilling to accept a negative outcome. Loss of female energy. A frigid older woman. A timid woman who has lost her confidence to make sound decisions. Given to focusing on small insignificant issues instead of overall picture. filled with qua
anon

Tupelo, MS

#20 Dec 30, 2012
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming “ Wow! What a Ride!”-Hunter Thompson

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tupelo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Orchard seeks withdrawal from UMC 10 hr South Knox Hombre 18
News One-to-one learning: Area schools embrace techn... 12 hr Better education 1
News Court sanctions Shumpert attorney 14 hr Mooch 1
News New storm shelters across Tupelo not yet ready ... 18 hr Rod Knox 8
Girls and Boys 20 hr lts_Me 3
News Gala honors corporate diversity in Tupelo 22 hr Mark 1
Ole Miss Sucks Sun Whotty Tooty 12

Tupelo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tupelo Mortgages