It's time to get behind strict gun control legislation

Posted in the Tunnelton Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#1 Dec 15, 2012
In America more than 600 children are killed by guns each year and over 48,000 adults will lose their lives to guns over next four years. Given that countries that have banned guns (such as those in the U.K.) have no child deaths due to gun fatalities and considering that it is an irrefutable fact that there is a proven link between gun saturation and gun violence, isn't it time to admit that the rational thing to do is support gun control? After a brutal massacre in 1996 Australia passed legislation that banned automatic/semi-automatic weapons and also started a mandatory buy back program for these weapons the result of which was a major downturn in gun related deaths. Even the act of purchasing a gun makes you and your family five times more likely to die by the gun than you are to shoot an intruder...so seriously, what in the hell is it going to take to get folks to be rational about supporting gun control?
1 post removed
Liberal media

Elkins, WV

#3 Dec 15, 2012
Really, there is a link between gun saturation and gun deaths, then why is it that the top ten states for legal gun ownership have the lowest gun related deaths per capita in the U.S. Go drink some more of the liberal media kool-aid, you jackass. I am so tired of the liberal media and liberals in general jumping on the gun control bandwagon everytime a terrible tragedy like this happens, they try to further their agenda by using it. We should be remembering what this is about and that is concern and compassion for the families involved in this tragedy.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#4 Dec 15, 2012
Liberal media wrote:
Really, there is a link between gun saturation and gun deaths, then why is it that the top ten states for legal gun ownership have the lowest gun related deaths per capita in the U.S. Go drink some more of the liberal media kool-aid, you jackass. I am so tired of the liberal media and liberals in general jumping on the gun control bandwagon everytime a terrible tragedy like this happens, they try to further their agenda by using it. We should be remembering what this is about and that is concern and compassion for the families involved in this tragedy.
Nutballs such as yourself are directly responsible for those childrens' deaths. Do you even know what facts are? Do you even care that CHILDREN ARE BEING KILLED AT ASTRONOMICAL RATES BY GUNS IN AMERICA vs. none in countries that have banned guns? THAT SHOULD BE ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW! END OF STORY! GAME OVER! Countries that have banned guns have almost zero gun deaths vs. America's astronomical averages of 50,000 deliberate and 25,000 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries per year. Mass killings in America have actually quadrupled since Clinton's assault weapons ban ended. If more people being armed is the answer, then why is it that mass killings have gone up with the number of Americans who own guns? BECAUSE IT'S ALL ABOUT ACCESS! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER! The mother of the boy who killed those children took them to target practice and taught them how use guns "RESPONSIBLY." People such as yourself make me freaking sick. You don't even rate as a human being. You're paranoid irrationally fearful gunnut garbage that can't be a real adult and find a real hobby. Sure hope you don't have kids, cause they should sure as hell be takin' away from you.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#5 Dec 15, 2012
Stacy_Taylor wrote:
<quoted text>
Nutballs such as yourself are directly responsible for those childrens' deaths. Do you even know what facts are? Do you even care that CHILDREN ARE BEING KILLED AT ASTRONOMICAL RATES BY GUNS IN AMERICA vs. none in countries that have banned guns? THAT SHOULD BE ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW! END OF STORY! GAME OVER! Countries that have banned guns have almost zero gun deaths vs. America's astronomical averages of 50,000 deliberate and 25,000 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries per year. Mass killings in America have actually quadrupled since Clinton's assault weapons ban ended. If more people being armed is the answer, then why is it that mass killings have gone up with the number of Americans who own guns? BECAUSE IT'S ALL ABOUT ACCESS! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER! The mother of the boy who killed those children took them to target practice and taught them how use guns "RESPONSIBLY." People such as yourself make me freaking sick. You don't even rate as a human being. You're paranoid irrationally fearful gunnut garbage that can't be a real adult and find a real hobby. Sure hope you don't have kids, cause they should sure as hell be takin' away from you.
Amen. You can't fight the facts. Enough is enough. Ban the damn things. All of em.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#6 Dec 15, 2012
The gun nuts just want people to not "politicize" it so that they will slowly forget about doing anything until the next tragedy occurs (which actually already happened earlier today). They do this because deep down they know they're wrong and that the only answer to the problem is one they don't want to hear. Liberal media? Yeah, sure. 20 children were shot dead by unnecessary weapons banned in sophisticated/moral countries and it's the "liberal media" that's "brainwashing" us. Idiot.
Liberal media

Elkins, WV

#7 Dec 15, 2012
Where did you get your information from? You don't even know anything about me so don't pass judgement on me you piece of shit.
defender

Fairmont, WV

#8 Dec 15, 2012
People like you will hide behind closed doors. People like me will stand and fight the evil that comes our way. It is ashame for the children and adults that were slain by this evil person, but he would not have gone where he knew someone would shoot back.(Don't impose your limits and fears on everyone else).
CCWholder

Smoot, WV

#9 Dec 16, 2012
now everytimne something bad happens it always comes to ban guns, maybe we should ban cars. too many drunk drivers on the road so we need to ban ALL cars to lesssen the deaths. you responsible drivers will have to walk everywhere but at least we will be safer. do you see the since in that? no because it is utterly retarded to punish the people that have done nothing wrong because 1 dumbass wants to drive drunk. so we should bann all guns? when criminals follow SOOOO many laws right? a statistic showed that within the people incarcerated right now for shooting fatalities got there guns and ammo off of a local black market. a staggering 97% of them received there guns illegally! so before you throw out these statistics might wanna look at both sides. i am a RESPOSIBLE CCW holder and i carry everyday. if you ever went to a CCW class you would see that the classes happen every week and there is always around 50 people in the class. getting there CCW because of all the senseless violence. and as a woman Stacy i would figure you would be all for CCW since women in this country, not just state, are having violent crimes against them more and more each day. so mass killing happens and your response is to take our only means of protection from these idiots so that they can kill even more people? if i was in the situation i promise the gunman will go down if im around or i will die trying. there is a resposible gun owner. and those are the owners that will fight tooth and nail to save the lives of innocent people or die tryin themselves. surprising there is good people left in this world, maybe you should look around more often and you might realize that. and most gun owners will agree. we have our CCW to protect ourselves, family, and the general public from people like Adam Lanza. not to be cool and say we got a gun. protection not retention you dumbasses.
Charlton Heston

Providence, RI

#10 Dec 16, 2012
When guns are outlawed,

then only outlaws will have guns.
Uncle Ted

Roanoke, VA

#11 Dec 16, 2012
”There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.”
~Ted Nugent
Concerned

Penn Laird, VA

#12 Dec 16, 2012
There are a lot of blooming IDIOTS who promote gun control. Guns are not the problem. If we all had a gun with us and the dope heads and drunks knew it, there would be very little crime. I, for one, am for promoting that everybody carry a gun with them at all times!!!!!
JESUS FREAK

Elkins, WV

#13 Dec 16, 2012
Since the separation of church and state, God out of this, God out of that, and yes, He went. People, so sent values, morals, character, and good honest clean living right a long with Him.
Seems funny you can google, "When God was taken out of government?" and it was in 1960's (62 and 63). I tried to find any mass killing before that and there were none: after that 1964 was the first I believe.
When God was taken our right to chose, believe, trust and have HOPE went too. Parents weren't responsible for their kids, kids weren't responsible for their actions in school. There was nothing to chose from, believe in and account to.
Today when we should be praying for the people in Connecticut and try to find answers to our own fears and yes, ask God for direction to find peace, quit our children's fears, and help one another. WHAT ARE WE DOING,I ASK? ARGUING OVER GUNS OR NO GUNS, MONEY-MATTER, PRESIDENT'S FLAWS GOVERNMENT ACTING LIKE CHILDREN, ANYTHING EXCEPT WHAT WE SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON AND THAT IS "GOD" ASKING HIS FORGIVENESS, ASKING FOR DIRECTION AND GUIDANCE AND THEN, START TO PUT HIM BACK WHERE HE BELONGS: IN OUR HEART, HOME, SCHOOLS, GOVERNMENT AND THEN, TRUSTING THAT HE KNOWS BEST.
YOU KNOW WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS MENTALLY, EMOTIONALLY, SPIRITUALLY, AND PHYSICALLY, BUT IF EACH AND EVERYONE OF USE WOULD FORGET ABOUT "ME" OURSELVES AND FOCUS ON WHAT'S GOOD FOR US AS A WHOLE AND THEN, BEING KIND TO THE NEXTPERSON AND KEEP PASSING IN ON IN THE NAME OF JESUS. WE JUST MIGHT BE AMAZED.
CCWholder

Smoot, WV

#14 Dec 16, 2012
no offense jesus freak but leave. God has nothing to do with this. absolutely nothing. it is also told in the bible to not force your religion upon others. this forum is as stated in the topic, GUN CONTROL LEGISLATION. not lets go to church. so if you have actual legitimatearguement about gun control legislation please lets hear it but leave god out of this. there was a reason for seperation of church and state. because running a country bassed on WWJD is how Jihad was started. its a country not a church, believe how you want to beleive. now everybody here is unanimous in being heavy hearted to the children and parents in CT tonight. but this topic is gun control legislation. if you dont like the topic and want to change it make a new one. do not impose your religion on an existing arguement. please and thank you.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#15 Dec 16, 2012
I know there is no way one can appeal to reason or fact when it comes to gun nuts. However, the tide is turning as there are only 4 million NRA members and more people supporting bans on guns such as assault weapons (there will be even more who support bans after this indecent). Regardless, here are the facts:

1. More guns lead to more murders. A survey by researchers at the Harvard University School of Public Health found strong statistical support that more people die from gun homicides in areas with higher rates of gun ownership. And despite what gun advocates say, countries like Israel and Switzerland don’t disprove the point.)

2. The Second Amendment does NOT prohibit strict gun control. While the Supreme Court ruled in D.C. v. Heller that bans on handgun ownership were unconstitutional, the ruling gives the state and federal governments a great deal of latitude to regulate that gun ownership as they choose. As the U.S. Second Court of Appeals put it in a recent ruling upholding a New York regulation,“The state’s ability to regulate firearms and, for that matter, conduct, is qualitatively different in public than in the home.

3. Gun controls policies even at the state level work. Scholars Richard Florida and Charlotta Mellander recently studied state-to-state variation in gun homicide levels. They found that “[f]irearm deaths are significantly lower in states with stricter gun control legislation.”

4. We need stronger gun regulations, not just better enforcement of the laws we have. In fact, Congress has passed several laws that cripple the ability for current gun regulations to be enforced the way that they’re supposed to. According to researchers at the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, a series of federal laws referred to as the Tiahrt amendments “limit public access to crime gun trace data, prohibit the use of gun trace data in hearings, pertaining to licensure of gun dealers and litigation against gun dealers, and restrict ATF’s authority to require gun dealers to conduct a physical inventory of their firearms.” Other federal laws “limited the ATF compliance inspections” and grant “broad protections from lawsuits against firearm manufacturers and retail sellers.”

5. Sensible gun regulation is popular. As the New Republic’s Amy Sullivan reported after the series of mass shootings this summer, a majority of Americans would prefer both to enforce existing law more strictly and pass new regulations on guns when given the option to choose both rather than either/or. Specific gun regulations are also often more popular than the abstract idea.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#16 Dec 16, 2012
Those are all excellent peer-reviewed facts, but it still comes down to one fact that makes all the arguments unnecessary...

YOU ARE THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO GET SHOT BY A GUN YOU PURCHASE THAN YOU ARE TO USE IT ON AN INTRUDER.

We are averaging four mass shootings a month in America and had three mass shootings alone on Friday. How many times do you hear about a home invasion be repelled by a homeowner with an assault weapon? NEVER. There are all kinds of studies that show carrying a gun makes you LESS SAFE! Here is just one recent PEER-REVIEWED STUDY.

Charles Branas's team at the University of Pennsylvania analysed 677 shootings over two-and-a-half years to discover whether victims were carrying at the time, and compared them to other Philly residents of similar age, sex and ethnicity. The team also accounted for other potentially confounding differences, such as the socioeconomic status of their neighborhood.

A recent study found that treating violence like an infectious disease led to a dramatic fall in shootings and killings.

Overall, Branas's study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher.

You IDIOTS even go so far as to say that MORE people including teachers should be armed? Do you realize the chaos that occurs in a shooting? You can't tell who's firing let alone have a by-standard shooting at where he or she THINKS the shots are coming from! There are numerous examples of gun carrying citizens making matters worse during shootings. The Gabriel Giffords shooting where an armed citizen almost killed a plain clothed policeman because he couldn't tell who the shooter was comes to mind.

Seriously, you gun owners are freaking nuts. You have no place in civilized society.
Liberal media

Elkins, WV

#17 Dec 16, 2012
All of the liberal media sights in the world can't make your argument make sense, pal. The bulletins you just posted have to do in large part with guns that are legally purchased,how many of the guns used in the commission of violent crimes are acquired legally?
Gun owner

Clarksburg, WV

#18 Dec 16, 2012
Stacy_Taylor wrote:
Those are all excellent peer-reviewed facts, but it still comes down to one fact that makes all the arguments unnecessary...
YOU ARE THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO GET SHOT BY A GUN YOU PURCHASE THAN YOU ARE TO USE IT ON AN INTRUDER.
We are averaging four mass shootings a month in America and had three mass shootings alone on Friday. How many times do you hear about a home invasion be repelled by a homeowner with an assault weapon? NEVER. There are all kinds of studies that show carrying a gun makes you LESS SAFE! Here is just one recent PEER-REVIEWED STUDY.
Charles Branas's team at the University of Pennsylvania analysed 677 shootings over two-and-a-half years to discover whether victims were carrying at the time, and compared them to other Philly residents of similar age, sex and ethnicity. The team also accounted for other potentially confounding differences, such as the socioeconomic status of their neighborhood.
A recent study found that treating violence like an infectious disease led to a dramatic fall in shootings and killings.
Overall, Branas's study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher.
You IDIOTS even go so far as to say that MORE people including teachers should be armed? Do you realize the chaos that occurs in a shooting? You can't tell who's firing let alone have a by-standard shooting at where he or she THINKS the shots are coming from! There are numerous examples of gun carrying citizens making matters worse during shootings. The Gabriel Giffords shooting where an armed citizen almost killed a plain clothed policeman because he couldn't tell who the shooter was comes to mind.
Seriously, you gun owners are freaking nuts. You have no place in civilized society.
You don't hear about gun owners killing intruders because that's our right so it doesn't make for a good healine story like the mass shootings that the media covers. I am a gun owner. And proud to say so. You're damn right my house is more protected than a neighbor without one. Just because I own a gun doesn't mean I'm going to kill someone. More people are killed because they DIDN'T have a gun to protect themselves. I do NOT think guns should be carried or owned by everyone. I would not be comfortable with a teacher(s) having a gun in school for example. My children have been taught very well about gun safety but others may not. But I will shoot an intruder in my home if need be. You let me know how it works out for you if you have an intruder with a gun in YOUR home and you are not prepared!
Gun owner

Clarksburg, WV

#19 Dec 16, 2012
Stacy_Taylor wrote:
Those are all excellent peer-reviewed facts, but it still comes down to one fact that makes all the arguments unnecessary...
YOU ARE THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO GET SHOT BY A GUN YOU PURCHASE THAN YOU ARE TO USE IT ON AN INTRUDER.
We are averaging four mass shootings a month in America and had three mass shootings alone on Friday. How many times do you hear about a home invasion be repelled by a homeowner with an assault weapon? NEVER. There are all kinds of studies that show carrying a gun makes you LESS SAFE! Here is just one recent PEER-REVIEWED STUDY.
Charles Branas's team at the University of Pennsylvania analysed 677 shootings over two-and-a-half years to discover whether victims were carrying at the time, and compared them to other Philly residents of similar age, sex and ethnicity. The team also accounted for other potentially confounding differences, such as the socioeconomic status of their neighborhood.
A recent study found that treating violence like an infectious disease led to a dramatic fall in shootings and killings.
Overall, Branas's study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher.
You IDIOTS even go so far as to say that MORE people including teachers should be armed? Do you realize the chaos that occurs in a shooting? You can't tell who's firing let alone have a by-standard shooting at where he or she THINKS the shots are coming from! There are numerous examples of gun carrying citizens making matters worse during shootings. The Gabriel Giffords shooting where an armed citizen almost killed a plain clothed policeman because he couldn't tell who the shooter was comes to mind.
Seriously, you gun owners are freaking nuts. You have no place in civilized society.
You are also FOR adults having sex with children on another forum but you think gun owners are nuts? YOU are the crazy one that needs some help!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#20 Dec 16, 2012
First of all, I doubt your "liberal media" paranoid ass isn't bright enough to even name a liberal media CEO let alone address the ideologies of leading media outlets (I will never understand why you imbeciles think that corporate owned media outlets are "liberal" when they contribute more money to conservatives in order to get out of paying taxes, but I guess that myth is the result of the Fox "News" propaganda machine). Second of all, we are talking PEER -REVIEWED STUDIES. Do you know what that means? I seriously doubt it since you think it has something to do with the "media." Third, if you read the studies, you would find that the guns purchased where both legal and ILLEGAL. The studies that address those that carry concealed weapons HAD THE SAME FINDINGS! If you are so paranoid and irrationally fearful that you feel you need to carry a gun, you are likely to find any excuse to use it, or pull the damn thing out for a minor altercation that normally wouldn't result in someone's death. IT IS IDIOTIC OWN A GUN LET ALONE CARRY ONE. PERIOD.
1 post removed

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#22 Dec 16, 2012
Stacy_Taylor wrote:
Those are all excellent peer-reviewed facts, but it still comes down to one fact that makes all the arguments unnecessary...
YOU ARE THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO GET SHOT BY A GUN YOU PURCHASE THAN YOU ARE TO USE IT ON AN INTRUDER.
We are averaging four mass shootings a month in America and had three mass shootings alone on Friday. How many times do you hear about a home invasion be repelled by a homeowner with an assault weapon? NEVER. There are all kinds of studies that show carrying a gun makes you LESS SAFE! Here is just one recent PEER-REVIEWED STUDY.
Charles Branas's team at the University of Pennsylvania analysed 677 shootings over two-and-a-half years to discover whether victims were carrying at the time, and compared them to other Philly residents of similar age, sex and ethnicity. The team also accounted for other potentially confounding differences, such as the socioeconomic status of their neighborhood.
A recent study found that treating violence like an infectious disease led to a dramatic fall in shootings and killings.
Overall, Branas's study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher.
You IDIOTS even go so far as to say that MORE people including teachers should be armed? Do you realize the chaos that occurs in a shooting? You can't tell who's firing let alone have a by-standard shooting at where he or she THINKS the shots are coming from! There are numerous examples of gun carrying citizens making matters worse during shootings. The Gabriel Giffords shooting where an armed citizen almost killed a plain clothed policeman because he couldn't tell who the shooter was comes to mind.
Seriously, you gun owners are freaking nuts. You have no place in civilized society.
You are correct about the "three times more likely" findings. It was a finding first reported by Dr. Arthur Kellermann of Emory University who conducted a survey of 388 homes that had experienced homicides. It is a study that has been the focus of MUCH hatred and resentment by the NRA as it was groundbreaking and was followed by many other studies that found similar results. This is why I think people who even own ONE gun should have their children taken away. It is simply child abuse pure and simple. It's like purchasing a home made out of asbestos because "it's your right to." The other thing of course is that any of these delusional idiots could install a security system of even have stun guns, but no, they would rather their own families be three times more likely to get killed by an accident or shot in a heat of passion argument, or worse, that someone in the family use their guns to kill our families in a mass shooting. Those gun nuts sure are some good folks aren't they?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tunnelton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
stalkers 3 hr Jonathan Lepka 3
Adriel 4 hr streets 6
movin to florida 4 hr streets 3
Patrick Chapman 4 hr No This is Patrick 24
Jessi Henline? 10 hr ou8I2 6
search party 13 hr Lena 5
Yay! Welfare Check Time Once Again in Grafton 13 hr lose ur Illusion 7

Winter Storm Watch for Preston County was issued at January 31 at 8:28AM EST

Tunnelton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Tunnelton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:59 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:59PM
Tommy Mason, No. 1 overall pick in 1961, passes away
Bleacher Report 6:12 PM
5 Mistakes Steelers Can't Repeat in Offseason
Bleacher Report 7:51 PM
How Redskins Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report 3:57 AM
Redskins Miss out on Opportunity in DC Search
Bleacher Report 7:00 AM
How Long Should Leash Be for the Current 'Skins Regime?