june

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2011

I'm trying to find out about the vocational school that used to be in Tullahoma where the civil war prisoners were at.

“Have a great day!”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2011

I do not know what you need but if you mean the State Reformatory for Girls that was in Tullahoma it is now the Tennessee Correction Academy.

Here's a link to a few photo's. http://www.tn.gov/correction/tca/tca-photos.h...

“Have a great day!”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2011

Judged:

I conducted a quick searched and found the following at the links listed. Hope this helps.

" The Vocational School for Girls in Tullahoma, Tennessee was an institution for young girls deemed feeble minded and socially inept (Cahn p. 329). The Tennessee Vocational School was known as TVS and popularly referred to as “Mrs. Pierce’s school” and seems to have been used my parents of young women with average socioeconomic status who were displeased with their children’s sexual behaviors (Cahn, pp. 86, 83). Novella Foster’s experience in the Tennessee Vocational School (which she entered at age 13 on a truancy charge) included a two-week lock up in the lavatory with only bread and water for nourishment as punishment for misbehavior (Cahn, p. 84). In 1939 the Osborne Association “reported that the Tennessee Vocational School [was] among the most forsaken and impoverished of any in their study, offering the citizens of Tennessee ‘little but a monument of neglect and shame’”(Cahn, p. 94). While there is no concrete proof available, it is believed that girls were physically beaten regularly by those who were supposed to reform them (Cahn, p. 84). Dorothy Widby asserted that she was not treated like a human being in the Tennessee Vocational School and that “They work you like slaves”(Cahn, p. 90)."
http://www.uvm.edu/~lkaelber/eugenics/TN/TN.h...

" The Tennessee Vocational School for Girls, a reformatory, was built in 1916 on property donated by the old Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railroad.
The school was constructed on a 210-acre tract in Franklin Count one mile south of Tullahoma. "
http://www.thsclassof1974.com/tullahomaarticl...
june

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2011

pretzl wrote:
I do not know what you need but if you mean the State Reformatory for Girls that was in Tullahoma it is now the Tennessee Correction Academy.
Here's a link to a few photo's. http://www.tn.gov/correction/tca/tca-photos.h...
ty very much for that info. I was one of those girls there in the sixties. I learned alot and saw alot. There was a book written about that school when I was there. It was called "Where from here?" Do you know where I could get a copy? Thank you again those pictures I was in the Rye building.A girl died in that building .i was on the 3rd. floor the second to the last domor window.If you find anything else please let me know....
LeDell

Woodbury, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

Hi,
My Mother was in the Tullahoma Reformatory for girls in 1947 to 1951.I would love to speak with some one who may have knew her or knows were I can find pictures of her.The reformatory haunted her.She suffered severe abuse,beatings,shaveing her head,solitary confinment with bread and water.My mothers name was Gladys Gulley.
Emaline

Harriet, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

I was in the Tennessee Vocational School in Tullahoma during 1956- 1958 approx.I don't recall any bad things about the school, are we talking about the same school here.I do not regret being there at all, Icould have been on the streets and it might have been worse.I have pictures and would love to hear from those that was there then. EC
sue martin

Oak Lawn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2013

are there any women who view at Tullahoma vocational school for girls in the late 1966 up to the middle of 1967. I graduated high school there. would like to hear from some of the girls who were there during this time. my email is emmasue49@hotmail.com.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tullahoma Discussions

Search the Tullahoma Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 13 min Anonymous 140,799
temazepam 10mg 1 hr gilly 1
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 21 hr WTH 8,944
Rabid Bats Jul 17 JohnQ 1
charles Allen Clark Jul 15 concerned citizen 1
Jewell's Hwy 55 Auction (May '11) Jul 14 Screwed customer 27
Bedford County TN Sheriff Election Jul 9 The real slim shmo 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Tullahoma Jobs

•••