Intersection is a menace to highway s...

Intersection is a menace to highway safety

There are 28 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Jan 31, 2012, titled Intersection is a menace to highway safety. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

The intersection of U.S. Highway 82 -- La Luz Road and Florida Avenue between La Luz and Alamogordo -- is one of the most dangerous in the state.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“FREEDOM OF THOUGHT”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#1 Feb 1, 2012
All hiways,intersections and roadways are dangerous to people who drive like idiots.
Just So

Alamogordo, NM

#2 Feb 1, 2012
Like you, you mean?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#5 Feb 2, 2012
If drivers are not smart enough to look before crossing an intersection, they need to walk instead of driving.

But do you expect anything from this state and it's educational system of social promotions and high drop out rate.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6 Feb 2, 2012
Rigid wrote:
All hiways,intersections and roadways are dangerous to people who drive like idiots.
Wow ... i bet that you had to ponder for that response for hours !!!
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#7 Feb 2, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow ... i bet that you had to ponder for that response for hours !!!
Just like it took you hours to figure out how to spell WARRIOR!
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#8 Feb 2, 2012
Land Locked Sailor wrote:
If drivers are not smart enough to look before crossing an intersection, they need to walk instead of driving.
But do you expect anything from this state and it's educational system of social promotions and high drop out rate.
I refer to it as "The New Mexican Standoff".

Doesn't any of you notice any oddities when shopping in a store, that people seem to be blind here? That they'll walk right into you?

That there's tons of space, yet somehow, some way, they're always in your way, it's like balls in a pinball machine.

They'll cross your path, are oblivious to even knowing that you are there. Like they're the only ones in the store? Just like a horse wearing blinders?

Same thing, but just put them behind the wheel of a vehicle. What's the reasons? Probably one main one, is ignorance. Freaking space cadets evidently.

Since: Oct 08

#9 Feb 2, 2012
the drivers of alamoghetto are a menace to highway safety
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10 Feb 2, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Just like it took you hours to figure out how to spell WARRIOR!
Deal with it ... CRYBABY !!!
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#11 Feb 2, 2012
Skuttlebutt wrote:
the drivers of alamoghetto are a menace to highway safety
Actually, I believe the area, as far as the potential for accidents to be much better than many of the big cities across America.

Higher numbers usually equate to more accidents. It's the laws of probability.

Here, you can enjoy a nice vehicle, a sports car, and enjoy the pleasure of driving it on the open road.

Two largest problems I see here, and they are most likely the largest contributors of accidents here (besides the obvious drunken driving)

That is speeding, and tailgating.

I notice on any street, or road here, do the proper speed limits, and the person behind you is usually a car length off your rear bunmper, like they're trying to crawl into your glovebox with their vehicle. This reduces both theirs, and your safety margin.

Often, when people here pull this, I never speed up to further jeopardize my safety, I'll either keep the proper speed, or even slow down. They quickly tire of this, and have to go around you.
Either that, or I'll pull over momentarily.

Doesn't seem to matter if it's level road, or going up, and down a mountain here, which is of course much more dangerous to drive in any weather. Many times I've had people literally try to "push" me down a mountain here. Don't fall prey to these types of people, let them go around you, or pull over.

No matter how good a driver one thinks they are, when such people travel 5-15 MPH over the posted speed limits on any street, or road, they compromise everyone's safety. Your breaking distances increase, as well as the other's driver's abilities are compromised in being able to react quick enough to correct a mistake.

I certainly have no qualms, or diagreement with the posted speed limits on all streets, and roads here, they were very well thought out IMO.

What usually happens when a particular area becomes an increasing problem, with accidents, just like they do in the big cities, they install another stop light, or stop sign. I'm thankful that Alamogordo is not like the big cities, with a stop light, or sign every single city block. And I hope it remains that way, but it may not as time passes.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#12 Feb 2, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>
Deal with it ... CRYBABY !!!
I can't I'm dealing with your boyfriend right now!
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#13 Feb 2, 2012
One other quirky rule of the road I noted here when I came here, is the infamous U-Turn.

In other states, U-Turns wherever you like is pretty much a no-no. That U-Turns, or Y-Turns are not allowed within 75ft of an intersection.

I can understand that U-Turns save gas, are convenient, instead of having to go around the block like in many other states, and cities.

That the way streets like White Sands Blvd are laid out, and with businesses on the other side of the street, and an Island blocking the way, well it is certainly more convenient, and thrifty, but as well also has the potential for an accident.

I really dislike driving down such streets, with heart in thoat, wondering if the doofus has seen me. Same with pulling out into the center of White Sands, waiting in the center of the street waiting to make a break for it. Again, a high potention for accidents.

There are many areas in the city, at main throughfares, which U-Turns should not be permitted. Take 1st St and Florida Ave for example. The U-turn is prohibited going one direction, but not the other direction which is totally stupid.

There is probably a good 50 intersections in this town, where No U-Turn signs should be placed.

Yes, it's more inconvenient, might cost a driver an additonal 10 cents worth of gas to go around the block, but I think it will also lower the potentional for accidents.
MZ GOODY TWO SHOES

Alamogordo, NM

#14 Feb 2, 2012
Well said Heisy. White Sands w/center islands is like a roll of the dice, one prays someone won't rear end you if one is making a turn. Tenth St. w/pedestrial crossings is another dangerous St. because drivers going E or W don't pay attention when one slows down to let someone cross. Best thing to do(to avoid turning between islands) is plan to go W. on Fairground Rd. take light to left going S. for those businesses on W. side of road. Not worth getting hit, even if this route out of way. I hate the neutral turning lanes on White Sands in front of businesses but see no other solution for N. White Sands pass 10th St.
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#15 Feb 2, 2012
MZ GOODY TWO SHOES wrote:
Well said Heisy. White Sands w/center islands is like a roll of the dice, one prays someone won't rear end you if one is making a turn. Tenth St. w/pedestrial crossings is another dangerous St. because drivers going E or W don't pay attention when one slows down to let someone cross. Best thing to do(to avoid turning between islands) is plan to go W. on Fairground Rd. take light to left going S. for those businesses on W. side of road. Not worth getting hit, even if this route out of way. I hate the neutral turning lanes on White Sands in front of businesses but see no other solution for N. White Sands pass 10th St.
Agreed about 10th St, with crossings not at intersections. It's akin to Jay Walking. First time I experienced this here, a person just walked out, like the person was blind, with no regard to oncoming traffic.

For sure I was never brought up that way, to just so blindy walk across a street, and "hope" that a driver is going to stop. What good is being "dead right"? lol

And yes, over the years. there's been a couple of instances, where I myself almost rear ended the driver in front of me on 10th St, when they "threw out the anchor" as soon as a pedestrian stepped foot off the curb.

Things like this truly give good definition to the term podunk, antiquated-quirky in alamogordo.

Sadly, laws often change for the better "after" people lose their lives.
Retard yourself

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Feb 2, 2012
Heisenberg wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =KNRLgEOPfSEXX&feature=rel ated
Years ago, a friend of mine worked with this man, in which anytime somebody walked in front of him, and upset his train of thought, he went into "Curly Shuffle Mode", falling down, and spinning on the floor, akin to an epileptic fit.
40% of the brain dead alamo-ghettoans are like this whenever they come to an intersection, an exit from a parking lot, a 4-way stop, etc etc.
See the vid above for an accurate account of what the typical alamo-ghettoan goes into with the concept of meeting someone else on the roads here.
Is this video taken here? If not, you have no clue how to compare. You cannot compare one place to another, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Go compare Chicago to some other city of the same size and then get back to us and nobody will review your YouTube videos anyway. Hurry along. Go find yourself a new video to post. It's funny how much time you waste on YouTube trying to find videos to post on Topix!!.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#17 Feb 3, 2012
Alamogordo is no more dangerous than any other city in the nation of the same size!
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#19 Feb 3, 2012
Retard yourself wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this video taken here? If not, you have no clue how to compare. You cannot compare one place to another, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Go compare Chicago to some other city of the same size and then get back to us and nobody will review your YouTube videos anyway. Hurry along. Go find yourself a new video to post. It's funny how much time you waste on YouTube trying to find videos to post on Topix!!.

Takes me no time to find anything, so don't worry your little head.
Watch and learn. lol
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#20 Feb 3, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I can't I'm dealing with your boyfriend right now!
Crybaby !!!
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#21 Feb 4, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>
Crybaby !!!
Thanks Carol!
dana

Wichita, KS

#22 Feb 4, 2012
lol you think the drivers are bad in alamogordo come to wichita ks and drive around you'll be so happy to get out of here and go home
Sockmonkey II

Alamogordo, NM

#23 Feb 12, 2012
MZ GOODY TWO SHOES wrote:
The problem with White Sands is those drivers wanting to take a left turn at the cut in the island that offers no left turn lane. The cut in the island is for cross traffic crossing the island.
The city needs tot re-evaluate the center island altogether or cut more left turn lanes in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tularosa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
President Trump's first 100 days 4 hr Pragmatist 22
Watch the rally 4 hr So he 9
Our Unethical So-Called President 4 hr Dittoe 6
Chump Joke of the Day (Oct '16) 4 hr Dittoe 385
News Torn apart by money - Ruidoso News (Sep '10) Apr 3 Pragmatist 7
News Sunny Aris (Sep '11) Sep '16 Hunde og katten 217
News Magistrate Judge Galassini retires from bench (Aug '16) Sep '16 Arthur Dent 4

Tularosa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tularosa Mortgages