Cattails to fuel?

The Otero County Commission voted to spend $20,000 on a feasibility study to turn cattails into fuel during its regular meeting Thursday night. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DWE

AOL

#1 Jul 18, 2009
You really belive you might be able to sell the by product to Japan? Be real.

Since: Oct 08

#2 Jul 18, 2009
How long will it take to recoup the 20 grand? Is this part of the BO stimuli plan?
Cactus Flower

Alamogordo, NM

#3 Jul 18, 2009
So POTUS is responsible for a decision made by the county commission? Should be asking your commissioners where what we are going to get for $20,000.00 other than another study.
High Rolls resident

Mescalero, NM

#4 Jul 18, 2009
Skuttlebutt wrote:
How long will it take to recoup the 20 grand? Is this part of the BO stimuli plan?
and you said I blamed Bush for everything.

and that 20 grand is coming to me. I am going to use an Etch a Sketch and Powerpoint to simulate a study this afternoon, and will email it to them later this weekend. Ain't Life Grand!!!
Ron Jeske

Sonora, CA

#5 Jul 18, 2009
Using corn as a biofuel ingredient was shown to consume a great deal of water to turn the mash into an alcohol for fuel. I don't think you plan to use waste water to make the cattail alcohol, so what water source will be used? If you are struggling to find enough usable water for people now, what will happen when you divert that water to making biofuel alcohol?

Production of biofuel is not easily done in the environment of places like Alamogordo. You need more material than two waste water ponds will produce, the water as mentioned before, and then the stuff must be trucked to a mixing point or sale point because it can't be moved by pipeline.

The pricetag for the study seems a bit high, to me, but then I don't study cattail mash all day. Watching the economy go into the tank is enough for me.

Good luck with this one.

#6 Jul 18, 2009
I didn't know there was a water problem in the desert??????????
Bennie and the Jets

Rio Rancho, NM

#7 Jul 18, 2009
OK...I know nothing about cat tails, seen alot where I grew up, not to many here. I think if a case study was to be done on the feasibility of selling this to Japan, well.. it should start where the folks who have a lot of cat tails in the wild, not planting, raising, and to the tune of $20,000. I have to say this article left me speechless, and anyone who knows me... that's hard to do! Let's just say a mix of surprise, and not wanting to break out in a full fledged belly laugh, which I did! I could be wrong here, and I beg anyone to show me the errors of my ways, but please tell me, are we are actually going to make money for our community, or is this just another way to spend money we don't have.
Amazed

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Jul 18, 2009
Wow way to go County Comission, you can't give County employees an decent pay rase, but you have 20,000 to blow on a study for cat tails? I am speachless but I do vote. Vote people vote but some of this is our own fault, if we dont attend the County Comission meetings they will continue this stupidity. I really think this should have been put to the people before such a stupid move.
Cactus Flower

Alamogordo, NM

#9 Jul 18, 2009
Amazed wrote:
Wow way to go County Comission, you can't give County employees an decent pay rase, but you have 20,000 to blow on a study for cat tails? I am speachless but I do vote. Vote people vote but some of this is our own fault, if we dont attend the County Comission meetings they will continue this stupidity. I really think this should have been put to the people before such a stupid move.
Please do some checking and find out how much it would have cost the taxpayers to have this put before the voters as a ballot question? I am guessing it would be more than $20,000. We vote for officials to represent us and if they don't then you, as a voter, should make sure you vote in the next election. There are many projects for which this $20,000. could have been allocated. Seems to be what Rardin wants, he gets.

“Please put our children FIRST!”

Since: Dec 08

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Jul 18, 2009
It doesn't cost them squat to send an e-mail to their districts?
Old Timer

Goodyear, AZ

#11 Jul 18, 2009
It would be so refreshing to actually have an elected person to solve our issues and not waste the taxpayers money.
Cactus Flower

Alamogordo, NM

#12 Jul 18, 2009
Raptor Mom wrote:
It doesn't cost them squat to send an e-mail to their districts?
You're right, but have you ever received an e-mail from a local politician?
jellenp

Tularosa, NM

#13 Jul 18, 2009
A year ago in August, Peggy Korth gave a cattails to ethanol program at the Alamo public library. She had done a successful project for the Department of Agriculture and has very experienced partners. Cattails grow in all the canyons that still run water here. She has worked a long time to get this-I think this should be hers. This renewable energy agriculture has been done for decades around this country. But here, readers have no memory or ability to do some research. Cattails clean up waste-water but around here, readers drivel about sustainable biofuel projects. Cattails are grown in fields next to the waste water plant but around here, readers, well, you get my drift. . . . good grief

#14 Jul 18, 2009
jellenp wrote:
A year ago in August, Peggy Korth gave a cattails to ethanol program at the Alamo public library. She had done a successful project for the Department of Agriculture and has very experienced partners. Cattails grow in all the canyons that still run water here. She has worked a long time to get this-I think this should be hers. This renewable energy agriculture has been done for decades around this country. But here, readers have no memory or ability to do some research. Cattails clean up waste-water but around here, readers drivel about sustainable biofuel projects. Cattails are grown in fields next to the waste water plant but around here, readers, well, you get my drift.... good grief
Seems the study has been done...why not just pay Peggy Korth a grand get a copy of her program and your done. Just saved 19 grand.
High Rolls resident

Mescalero, NM

#15 Jul 18, 2009
Skuttlebutt wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems the study has been done...why not just pay Peggy Korth a grand get a copy of her program and your done. Just saved 19 grand.
will you settle for a 10 percent finders fee? that is $1900.00

Since: Jun 09

Cape Coral, FL

#16 Jul 18, 2009
In South Florida, if the County finds cattails growing in one of their ponds, they spray it with poison. That kills every creature and plant in the water, runs the song birds and water birds off , and ruins a raccoon's day. It's an edible, durable, native plant that grows like mad. But, they call it an invasive plant, instead of making good use of it. Fish and birds help keep the pond bottom sealed and it will hold water longer. This and green algae, which loves the same environment, are natural water purifiers. Any fast-growing water plant growing in nutrient-rich water can be used to enrich farm soil. Bio-fuel is the way of the future. Maybe it's true that it will take more than this source of bio-fuel. But, it's a start.
JMH3

Tularosa, NM

#17 Jul 19, 2009
Another 20k will be wasted. Who came up with this lame idea anyway? Cattails? Someone had a dream or what? Big-Bucks BS and all wasted, let's try horse manure, there's plenty of that in this county.
JMH3

Tularosa, NM

#18 Jul 19, 2009
jellenp wrote:
A year ago in August, Peggy Korth gave a cattails to ethanol program at the Alamo public library. She had done a successful project for the Department of Agriculture and has very experienced partners. Cattails grow in all the canyons that still run water here. She has worked a long time to get this-I think this should be hers. This renewable energy agriculture has been done for decades around this country. But here, readers have no memory or ability to do some research. Cattails clean up waste-water but around here, readers drivel about sustainable biofuel projects. Cattails are grown in fields next to the waste water plant but around here, readers, well, you get my drift.... good grief
Having extensive experience with cattails on our place along the Tularosa River, our place has some 10 natural springs that have been infested with cattails for years I will tell you this. Anyone nearby a "Cattail" farm nearby better hope they have no seeds blow onto their property if it has any water source because if it's wet they literally spread like the weeds that they are.
I would also like to know how they plan to harvest this amazingly profitable new "crop", who wants to wade in 4' of water all day whacking down cattails with a machete, nobody I know.
Salt cedars and cattails suck a lot of water out of riparian areas, we have a program to eradicate salt cedars, we may as well plan to add cattails as well if this ridiculous idea manages to move forward.
I say plant more cattails at Desert Lakes, wait 3-4 years and see how it goes.
Den-Mark

Ozark, MO

#19 Jul 19, 2009
JMH3 wrote:
<quoted text>
Having extensive experience with cattails on our place along the Tularosa River, our place has some 10 natural springs that have been infested with cattails for years I will tell you this. Anyone nearby a "Cattail" farm nearby better hope they have no seeds blow onto their property if it has any water source because if it's wet they literally spread like the weeds that they are.
I would also like to know how they plan to harvest this amazingly profitable new "crop", who wants to wade in 4' of water all day whacking down cattails with a machete, nobody I know.
Salt cedars and cattails suck a lot of water out of riparian areas, we have a program to eradicate salt cedars, we may as well plan to add cattails as well if this ridiculous idea manages to move forward.
I say plant more cattails at Desert Lakes, wait 3-4 years and see how it goes.
Nobody but an illegal alien would take the job!!
Stephen Klaber

Canton, OH

#20 Jul 19, 2009
The amount of this plant available worldwide for this is stunning. And almost everywhere it grows, it is currently a problem. Financing the control of cattails and similar weeds through the biofuels market would go a long ways toward stopping desertification, simply by removing the dessication machines and siltation machines that are causing it. This fuel resource is terrifyingly renewable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tularosa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Another dead 18 year old 32 min Another 7
Obama's agenda accomplishments 42 min Another 17
Two dead police 1 hr What 30
New evidence that global warming is BS (Nov '09) 2 hr Land Locked Sailor 7,468
The movie 10 hr Ralph 14
Do You Support Otero County Tea Party Patriots ? 11 hr Gorky 108
Phillipino Mafia 22 hr Relieved 6
Tularosa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web